How Do You Keep Your Hair Flat Against Your Head...

Isis

or does it matter?

I was inspired by Cocowhite's post on hair combing and I began to wonder. For me, I haven't really thought much about my hair being flat against my head although I use a satin scarf to help keep the roots "flattened" and the NTM Silk Touch/satin scarf method that Silver2 shared.

This is not just about newgrowth though, but all of your hair. Does it make a difference to you if your hairstyle is worn flat against your head or not? If so, how do you make it that way?

For me, wearing my hair flat against my head is not a big deal. I love my hair full or flat, it depends on what mood I'm in.
Also I think that it depends on the person's face. My bestfriend is gorgeous but doesn't look right with full hair. So for her wearing her hair flat against her head is important.

Hmmm, I never thought about that. The only way I know how to get my hair flat against my head is with a scarf, touch-up, or major heat.

sweetcashew said:
For me, wearing my hair flat against my head is not a big deal. I love my hair full or flat, it depends on what mood I'm in.
Also I think that it depends on the person's face. My bestfriend is gorgeous but doesn't look right with full hair. So for her wearing her hair flat against her head is important.
I haven't thought about a person's face being a factor. You're right. I'm thinking right now of Oprah and how she looks with her hair full and big versus flat against her head. She said her head is larger than average so maybe that's why fuller hair looks really good on her.

Thank you Sweetcashew. I've usually worn my hair full but never thought about whether or not it fits my face.:look: I think it does.

dannie_19 said:
Hmmm, I never thought about that. The only way I know how to get my hair flat against my head is with a scarf, touch-up, or major heat.
Thank you for your comment Dannie! I usually use a scarf and touch-ups are few since I stretch. :)

Hi Isis :wave:

I've been washing and go-ing for years using just a satin scarf when my hair is still 75% wet. B/c my hair is relaxed and is pretty much bone-straight, I really don't have to use heat, and when I wake up it's flat to my head. The one exception to this is that as my new growth gets thicker, especially in warmer weather, my hair starts to swell and it's not so flat. Today's a perfect example - I washed this AM, tied a scarf on it, and let the air from the windows on the ride in finish drying it. By the time I got to work and took off the scarf, it was still a little damp, so by the time it completely dried, my hair was SO BIG!!! :) I'm sure it also has to do w/the pregger hormones b/c my texture has changed and my hair's way thicker than before.

Also, b/c I've worn my hair like this so long, I get a lot of people that ask me if I ever wear it curly.

HTH,

SG

SouthernGirl said:
Hi Isis :wave:

I've been washing and go-ing for years using just a satin scarf when my hair is still 75% wet. B/c my hair is relaxed and is pretty much bone-straight, I really don't have to use heat, and when I wake up it's flat to my head. The one exception to this is that as my new growth gets thicker, especially in warmer weather, my hair starts to swell and it's not so flat. Today's a perfect example - I washed this AM, tied a scarf on it, and let the air from the windows on the ride in finish drying it. By the time I got to work and took off the scarf, it was still a little damp, so by the time it completely dried, my hair was SO BIG!!! :) I'm sure it also has to do w/the pregger hormones b/c my texture has changed and my hair's way thicker than before.

Also, b/c I've worn my hair like this so long, I get a lot of people that ask me if I ever wear it curly.

HTH,

SG
Wow! It's great to see you SouthernGirl!:)
Your hair was already thick and now it's even thicker because of your changing hormones?! That sounds just wonderful to me! I read (and have seen) that hair grows faster during pregnancy also. I didn't know it changes the texture though.

I remember your posts on your wash and go scarf method. It didn't work well for me since I'm not relaxed straight. I'm sure you're one of the ladies (like SweetCashew) who look just as pretty with your hair big or flat against your head. Thank you for your comment!

Isis said:
Wow! It's great to see you SouthernGirl!:)
Your hair was already thick and now it's even thicker because of your changing hormones?! That sounds just wonderful to me! I read (and have seen) that hair grows faster during pregnancy also. I didn't know it changes the texture though.

I remember your posts on your wash and go scarf method. It didn't work well for me since I'm not relaxed straight. I'm sure you're one of the ladies (like SweetCashew) who look just as pretty with your hair big or flat against your head. Thank you for your comment!

Aw, you're so sweet :kiss:

I've ALWAYS been a fan of yours. Just keep doing what you're doing. You look awesome! Also, love the Avatar :up:

How Do You Keep Your Hair Flat Against Your Head...
I don't! My hair is flat only when I get a touchup or go to the salon between touchps. Otherwise I let nature run its course when heat or humidity cause my roots to lift and give my hair body. People compliment me on my hair more when it's full too, so it's just as well.

SouthernGirl said:
Aw, you're so sweet :kiss:

I've ALWAYS been a fan of yours. Just keep doing what you're doing. You look awesome! Also, love the Avatar :up:
Thank you so much SouthernGirl!!

sweetcashew said:

I prefer not to wear my hair flat against my head-I have a big head, skinny neck. That would not be a pretty sight.:perplexed

Hi Isis,

My hair stays flat until my next retouch b/c I comb it back, or part it & then give the length a few twists. I then pin it with 2 hairpins towards my hairline. It stays flat and looks as if it's been wrapped. The only difference is the ends are not turned under, they are flat/straight too. It keeps my new growth manageable and the edges flat & straight.

lala said:
Hi Isis,

My hair stays flat until my next retouch b/c I comb it back, or part it & then give the length a few twists. I then pin it with 2 hairpins towards my hairline. It stays flat and looks as if it's been wrapped. The only difference is the ends are not turned under, they are flat/straight too. It keeps my new growth manageable and the edges flat & straight.
Thank you Lala for sharing your techinique, I think I can picture this. :yep:

dicapr said:
I prefer not to wear my hair flat against my head-I have a big head, skinny neck. That would not be a pretty sight.:perplexed
This makes sense to me now that you mentioned head size and SweetCashew mentioned the face. I see it does matter and is different for each person, not everyone can carry flat hair or big hair well.

Back