What Do You Use as a Head Cover at Night?

What are you using to protect your tresses while you sleep?

• Total voters
When my hair is in a wash and go curly state, i wear a high ponytail with a satin scarf. When its blow dried straight, i wrap it and wear a bonnet. Bonnets make my hair matted looking when its curly....

I sleep on a silk pillowcase wearing a silk or satin scarf on my head covered by a satin bonnet to hold it in place. This works well so far - no breakage whatsoever.

I recently ordered a large silk scarf and an extra large silk bonnet.

I use a square satin scarf (folded in half first) and then tied around my head or a durag or I wear a satin bonnet/cap. I find the satin cap tends to fall of my head at night so the durag seems to work a lot better.

I am currently looking for satin pillow cases so that if the satin cap falls off, my hair won't be rubbing against the cotton pillowcase as this tends to leave my hair dry and rough looking.

Last edited:
You ladies have some great ideas. I have like 6 new things to try now...and if NONE of these work, I might as well check into a sleep clinic and see what my malfunction is. Thanks everyone :kiss:!

I sleep with a satin scarf and also sleep on a satin pillowcase. I am, however, thinking of going to purchase some silk fabric or a silk scarf as I have noticed that my "satin" scarf snags my hair sometimes.

I'm not a 'wild sleeper' per-se. But I tend to drag my head across the pillow. I know, because I caught myself doing it! :yep: It's like, when I turn my head I don't lift it up. I'm so lazy, I just drag it across and plunk it down. :grin:

I generally use a satin scarf, ghetto stocking cap(made from pantyhose or tights) then I put on my bonnet. This has worked well for me... Especially, if I've wrapped my hair or want it to be real smooth in the morning....

I'm a little afraid of satin pillowcases, because I don't want to go sliding off the pillow...... :lol:

I use a satin bonet at night becuase the silk/satin scarves that I have slip off at night and it is soooo frustrating trying to find it and tie it back on!! :nono:

Well I have a satin stretch I wear around my edges....then I wear a satin scarf.....on top of that is the bonnet and finally a satin pillowcase.

Today I woke up with only the satin stretch around my edges ,.....I'm a wild sleeper.

dreemssold said:
I am just asking because I use a satin bonnet, and sometimes a silk scarf and satin bonnet in conjunction, but no matter what I do, because I am a wild sleeper, at the very least, the front of my hair is always exposed when I wake up and because of this, I have serious breakage in the front. It almost looks like cowlicks :ohwell:. I have been doing a good job of keeping the back protected, but that's almost making the front breakage even more pronounced. I need a 100% proof method and I am seriously considering taking it back to 84 and wearing a stocking cap, but I don't want a headache and/or super flat hair. If you can, please also tell how effective your method is for you. TIA for any help/suggestions, ladies.

I used to have the same problem. I've solved it however by wearing a "girl doo rag," which doesn't have that tail part that guys wear a lot. Anyway it's got the 2 strings that are quite long and wrap around my head 2x and then I tie. It never comes off, I sleep on cotton and silk pillows, lately it's been silk. If I sleep with rollers in, I go back to my satin/silk scarf, and that usually doesn't come off either because the rollers stop it it from doing so.

I live in NY so if it's hard to get one of the "girl doo rags" as I call them, let me know...I can send you a couple.

Let me know

[size=+1]I use a Satin head wrap. It's pretty long so I can wrap it around twice. And that's pretty good since I have a big head. :look: It stays on all night too. :yep: Whenever I don't wrap my hair I sleep on a Satin/Silk pillowcase.[/size]

I sleep on a couple of those silky pillow cases from Sally's. But they are old and starting to rip and melt and stretch.

I have one half of a silky scarf left with which to wrap my head. I lost the others or used them to line caps. I lot of nights I don't wrap up because the pillowcases are enough.

Someone needs to take a trip to Sally's BSS.

dreemssold said:
:scratchch Hmmm, where'd you get that from, miracle...what's it called?

Dreemsold....I picked it up from the bss. It didn't come in a package, they were just in a bin in the men's hair care section and they came in black and gray. It looks like a skull cap, but it's made of satin. HTH!!

i have all three of the Maverick Wear caps, but i usually sleep with the Snug Cap on:

snugcapl.jpg

even with that, i have to clip it on. if i remember, i'll post a pic of how i clip it later...

I use my satin scarf w/the zodiac signs!!! I love my scarf! It stays on my head during the night, and is usually soaked with olive oil that I oil my scalp with...

I wore my new large silk bonnet and it is wonderful! It has lots of room for wearing large rollers or for long hair. The elastic part is covered with silk too. :up:

I normally just where a silk scarf but something i wear a satin scarf, a silk scarf + bonnet, a silk scarf + wig cap or just a bonnet. I have to find something better though because after wearing scarves and such for a while, My 4head starts to break out. This has been the case with scarves whether coton, silk, or satin. Its only after a few nights of wearing it. I dont get it with bonnets, but the bonnets never stay on my head! lol

I also sleep on a satin pillowcase and tie my head up with my silk or satin scarf. I also have a satin bonnet. I use the bonnt when wearing braids. The satin scarf I use is similar toa doo rag without the flap of material hanging in the back. All of you hair is covered & is quite secure but, if it falls of at night the satin pillowcase is the back up.

On my daughter, I use two doo rags and a satin pillow case. The pillow case is good if your edges pop out during the night. I've noticed my edges aren't as dry lately because of this.

Another doragger here - I 'found' an old one of hubby's, and I LOVE it. My scarf sould always either slip off or be too tight, but the ties on the dorag keeps it on my head perfectly tight.

Every night I put on a satin headscarf and every morning it's off. So I also sleep on a satin pillow case. It took some skill to learn how to sleep without slidding off the pillow with the satin scarf on.:lol:

I use 2 satin scarfs, 1 to cover the edges of my shower cap and another to cover or hide the shower cap combo. I just ordered a skull cap to cover my hair for when my hair is in a braid out or twist out. I also sleep with a satin pillow just in case the others back fire.

I sleep with a Satin Bonnet and sometimes a scarf, because I don't want the elastic on the bonnet to rub my edges out.

Back