How Do You Get Your Roots Straight...

Isis

when stretching your relaxer and styling your hair, i.e., airdrying, rollersetting?

I've been mainly using my trusty satin scarf which helps a lot, especially when I use Sylver2's method of NTM Silk Touch Leave-in on my newgrowth and immediately put on the scarf. If I mess up while airdrying though (like if one of the rollers fell out or got pushed up), the roots can still be a little bit puffy when I leave the house. What are you doing to get your roots straight? Is your method safe for your hair?

Isis said:
I've been mainly using my trusty satin scarf which helps a lot, especially when I use Sylver2's method of NTM Silk Touch Leave-in on my newgrowth and immediately put on the scarf.

I do the same thing with the scarf and NTM. I've also learned to accept the difference between straight and flat when it comes to the roots. As long as they are flat and moisturized, they don't puff up too much.

Doremie13 said:
I do the same thing with the scarf and NTM. I've also learned to accept the difference between straight and flat when it comes to the roots. As long as they are flat and moisturized, they don't puff up too much.
You're right, there is a difference between straight and flat roots. I've never really had straight anyway.

Doremie13 said:

EXACTLY:-))))))
I don't care if my roots are straight just as long as they look flat and smooth:yep:

My hair loves to hold on to its curl pattern.

I recently starting using a 1" ceramic iron (Sally's Generic "chi") to get my roots straight. I can get my roots to be flat even if they are not straight by tying the hair down with a scarf, but the effect does not last very long (couple of hours at the most).

I do feel that my ceramic is healthy for my hair because I can control the heat setting, I only use it once a week and only on the roots (my ends are straightened sufficiently by the roller set). It may even help me stretch my relaxers longer.

A satin scarf
TIGI's Control Freak Serum (This stuff is a poof killer!)
A blowdryer if I'm going for straight & flat as opposed to just flat

Thank you ladies! This is very good information.:)

That TIGI's Control Freak Serum to kill the poofs sounds intriguing.

Any other ways you ladies get your roots straight or to lie flat?

Currently I spray s-curl on my hairline and put a few drops on wgo on top of that, then brush down smooth and put my scarf on. It is working quite well and it's a good alternative to gels. As a finishing touch I apply Elasta QP Glaze. This makes it super flat, even the stubborn areas, and it has good shine too.

The common denominator to flatten roots so far seems to be the satin scarf. The scarf plus a good moisturizing conditioner. Any other methods?

Back