How did you stumble across LHCF?

i was googling for healthier hair.. I typed in the search box " black natural hair care" or something very similar.

it was the best thing i've ever done...i found LHCF and it was the beginning of a beautiful reltaionship. I was a lurker until September. there's no turning back now.

I Love this site

Found it through BHM. My desire to grow longer hair was actually inspired out of admiration for a friend's hair. I met her during a summer internship and asked her how she managed to grow her hair so long - what products she used. She gave me some advice and I went doing more research on the net.

Prior to LHCF there was a board called LongHairLovers that was visited by all kinds of girls with all kinds of hair types, from 1 to 4. The creator of that board was a young lady by the name of Jennifer Bahney whose goal was to grow her hair to waist length.

It was a good board. There was a lot of discussion on vitamin cocktails to produce more growth. I recall that it was LHL that I first learned about AO products. I bought some JAY and GPB by mail from one of the members. (I think AO was too rich for her type 1 strands.) It was the first time that I made such an exchange. She sent me the products FIRST. Then I sent her the check. LOL.

The LHL board had a discussion area for "multicultural" hair. Most of the founding members of LHCF, including Beverly, chatted and traded advice in that section.

Then in 2002 Jennifer decided to close LHL and focus on developing her own hair care product line. We had no where to go to continue our discussions.

Beverly stepped forward and used her tech skills to build LHCF. It was a challenge in the early days to get the right forum format, enough bandwidth, and sponsors to cover the site expenses. She recruited Nikos, Allandra, SVT and our other great monitors to keep the site a positive place to go to chat about haircare.

During that time we donated to cover the site expenses and several of us sent Beverly much more than the current $6.50 annual fee to keep the site going. I think Bev invested a lot of her own money as well. Now it looks like LHCF is doing really well with sponsorship and membership. Thanks Beverly for keeping the site going and everyone for helping LHCF remain successful.

I was on Blackhairmedia forum, found doing a search on black hair care, and someone mentioned LHCF. I looked it up and was hooked instantly! :grin:

Kasey, I appreciate you sharing. I've heard how LHCF started many times before but there was something different about your post. It made me appreciate Bev, Nikos et al. and their vision for this forum.

THANK YOU BEVERLY!!!!! Now let the church say amen. :yep:

:lachen:AMEN! I found LHCF when I found out I was expecting a girl. I always wanted boys because I was always intimidated by hair care- all I knew how to do was put some moisturizer in it, put it in a ponytail and go to the salon when I could no longer get a comb through the new growth. I wanted my daughter to have the skills and knowledge I didn't have and to appreciate her hair. A google search led me here, I lurked for about three days then became a member. I love LHCF! I'm so inspired by everyone here and even though it was originally for my daughter's benefit, I've learnt so much and understand my hair a lot better. I don't post a lot but I read everything on here.

Kasey, I appreciate you sharing. I've heard how LHCF started many times before but there was something different about your post. It made me appreciate Bev, Nikos et al. and their vision for this forum.

While the LHL board was good, it was Beverly's idea, along with input from the founding members, to develop LHCF in a lifestyle board. She added the "off topic" discussions on health, fashion and makeup and things like the "feature of the month," that makes this a great site for sharing info and making connections around the country, and the world, with fellow women of color. It really does promote sisterhood and a network of people that will keep you accountable toward accomplishing your goals. If a girl can have the patience and consistency to reach her haircare goals, I think that she can accomplish anything.

Last year sometime i was searching for the U part wig and a thread came up talking about especiallyyours.com but I never actually browsed the forum. Then while I started lurking in BHM growth section I saw alot of ladies always used abbreviation LHCF, so I googled it browsed a few mths and then joined in June.:wave:

I'd been a member of Naturallycurly.com since 2000. It was there that I learned how to care for my natural curls. I loved the site but wanted to have a place where I could have more interaction with women of color (they are on NC.com but we are relegated to haritype boards and I didn't always feel welcome at NP.com though I knew and liked the owner from NC.com). NC.com folks don't encourage heat or straight hair styles. I liked my hair both ways. I also felt like I had the healthy hair care down but wanted to see how long my hair could grow. I always had longish hair but never LHCF long.

Many years ago, someone left me a message on my old fotki saying that someone on LHCF mentioned my name and she wanted to have my password to see my hair. I thought it was weird but I googled LCHF and lurked. Recently, someone else mentioned LHCF on a NC.com thread and I lurked again. This time, I saw so many girls with hair like me, women of color, who had WL and longer hair. I was intrigued. I finally joined and haven't looked back.

I go to both forums still. NC.com when I want info on products and hairstyles for natural hair and for my board friends. LHCF to check out the newest info on growth and retention and to check out the progress threads. Oh, and I love the Entertainment board!

Last edited:
Option 2

I was serching for information about Chi products. I was getting tired of my dry broken down hair and was looking for products to get my hair back in shape.

I am soooooo glad that I found this website. In the few weeks that I've been on the website and taking the advice of others, I have cut my shedding/breaking down from a fistfull at wash time to 5-10 strands.

I was wanting to get my hair done and had some questions but no one to ask. So I googled my question and there it was - LHCF. And no matter what question I had it kept comming up. I became a member immediatly and also made a nice donation to help with keeping it up and running. (This is a nessesary service and was compeled to donate) I love the site. Love the support. Don't know where my hair would be with out it :)

Googling for healthy hair. I was really at wits end with my hair, and I was tired of telling everyone that I cut it because I wanted something new. In truth I cut it because I had to from the damage.

Hi Wavezncurlz,

I too was a frequent visitor NC.com, but never got a log-in ID. I really liked Lorraine Massey's Curly Girl method, bought the book, and I also learned a lot about non-mainstream products for curly hair.

Prior to 2002, I used to be a press-n-curl girl and I used mineral oil based pomades to prepare the hair for the hot comb. I thought water was the enemy and my strands would always cling together for dear life.

But I'd was always on the lookout for non-mainstream products. When I was in high school, I used to order hair care products by mail from Gold Medal, and my older sister would make fun of me. I had been using their henna-based Herbal Tame product to help "relax" the hair, but it wasn't until answered a question about Herbal Tame in an LHCF discussion that I learned to use it properly. It really helped when other LHCF members started using HT or plain henna and posting their experiences.

I didn't realize that I had curly hair until I started following the LHCF suggestions to CW. The frequent wetting and use of JAY/GPB turned my brillo pad like strands into the 3C/4C strands of my childhood that I began to "discover" in my baby pictures.

I also spent some time on Nappturality, but it was more fun to be among the mix at LHCF. In those early days prior to FOTKI and YouTube, there were a few other inspirational hair albums and places to get hair care information. LHL was great because the girls would always talk about finding their "holy grail" product. But, LHCF was and still is the best, in my humble opinion.

I actually found lhcf about 3 or 4 years ago. I was looking for ways to take care of my hair because I didnt have beautician at the time. I eventually found a beautician and stopped using lhcf.

I finally joined about a year ago because once again I didnt have a beautician and I didnt want to depend on one for haircare. Plus I had a baby and was experiencing postpardom shedding but it was for much long than expected.

Ive found other hair boards but lhcf is the best.

I hink I was searching for a relaxer. Then I came across the archives. It was late summer 2006. I finally coughed up the money and subscribed!!! Best 5.50 I ever spent!!!

First, wavezncurlz your hair is absolutely georgeous!!:love5:I found LHCF because of financial reasons. I was not working and I decided thats it cheaper to take care of my own hair and I had a interest in healthy and lenghty hair. So I started googling and this came up. I lurked for about a month and started to learn as much as I could. When I saw that there was a newbie chanllenge for 2010, I knew that I had to join as this was a grand opportunity to not only learn but also to ask questions and maybe find a hair mentor. I have come to love this and have much respect for the women that congregate here.

Hi Wavezncurlz,

I too was a frequent visitor NC.com, but never got a log-in ID. I really liked Lorraine Massey's Curly Girl method, bought the book, and I also learned a lot about non-mainstream products for curly hair.

Prior to 2002, I used to be a press-n-curl girl and I used mineral oil based pomades to prepare the hair for the hot comb. I thought water was the enemy and my strands would always cling together for dear life.

But I'd was always on the lookout for non-mainstream products. When I was in high school, I used to order hair care products by mail from Gold Medal, and my older sister would make fun of me. I had been using their henna-based Herbal Tame product to help "relax" the hair, but it wasn't until answered a question about Herbal Tame in an LHCF discussion that I learned to use it properly. It really helped when other LHCF members started using HT or plain henna and posting their experiences.

I didn't realize that I had curly hair until I started following the LHCF suggestions to CW. The frequent wetting and use of JAY/GPB turned my brillo pad like strands into the 3C/4C strands of my childhood that I began to "discover" in my baby pictures.

I also spent some time on Nappturality, but it was more fun to be among the mix at LHCF. In those early days prior to FOTKI and YouTube, there were a few other inspirational hair albums and places to get hair care information. LHL was great because the girls would always talk about finding their "holy grail" product. But, LHCF was and still is the best, in my humble opinion.

Glad you figured out your curls! The internet is cool - there is definitely a place for everyone and everything. It's gotten so much better since I first joined hair boards in late 90s. It's prob overwhelming for newbies! :)

First, wavezncurlz your hair is absolutely georgeous!!:love5:I found LHCF because of financial reasons. I was not working and I decided thats it cheaper to take care of my own hair and I had a interest in healthy and lenghty hair. So I started googling and this came up. I lurked for about a month and started to learn as much as I could. When I saw that there was a newbie chanllenge for 2010, I knew that I had to join as this was a grand opportunity to not only learn but also to ask questions and maybe find a hair mentor. I have come to love this and have much respect for the women that congregate here.

Thanks Day Dreamer!

In a nut shell. My hair was in BAD shape that I started to google how to's. I actually started on another board and kept hearing about LHCF. So, I've been hooked ever since.

i found this site almost a year ago when i used a flat iron that was too hot and lost my curl pattern for a few months. i've been a lurker since then but just now finally joined.

Option 3.. I've always admired my bestfriends hair.. one day she just started talkin about "the forum"... i'm like wth u talking about.. and she explained it's a forum for woman who basically wanna grow their hair long and give all types of tips and products.....once I looked it up... I was Sold...

I was natural and found LHCF about 1 month after I put a relaxer on. Knowing what I know now if I had found the forum before relaxing, I probably would have stayed natural. I was reading Healthy Textures and saw a link for LHCF; I lurked for about a year before signing up. Best $5 I've ever spent!!

Over processed my nape and part of the back of my hair, took to the internet looking for any and all tips to recover or regrow what i'd done. And found LHCF. I've learned so much!!

In May this year my husband asked me for the umpteeth time to to grow my hair long. I realized I had no idea how to do this, and as I loved short hair on me, I'd never bothered to check. It suddenly hit me that while I didn't want long hair (though I will grow it for him) I wanted natural healthy hair and I had to figure out how to do this, so I did a web search and voila...I didn't click right away when I first saw the link because I really thought it was s site for Type 1 hair...lol. Boy am I glad I bothered to look further.
My goals is a head full of "crazy" coils, and I am excited about getting there. It will be something new and different, and after a while I'll probably do a BC and start again! ha ha!

Back