How Can I ever learn to love these naps?

Ahh...I see. That explains it. I don't follow fashion or care what it's doing. I tend to keep to classic looks that never grow old in my book, like the Bernie Mac aka Florida Evans 'fro. That's probably why I never got with the chunky afro and why I'll never wear it (looks like uncombed/unkempt hair to me).

So out of curiosity, what are folks wearing in their TWA stage? Carl Lewis box cuts? Don King? I'm not being funny. I'm just wondering what is "current" for those who follow trends. Like if you were to have a TWA today @Napp and @Junebug, how would you wear your hair? Pics?

Didn't Bernie Mac have some beautiful hair??!~!! :yep: What I find curious is that some people who don't seem to wear natural fros are knocking down the classics. I don't actually know if they don't but judging from the avatars...:look: Well, to each his own but not everyone is 20. There are plenty of modest, classic mothers from 20+ walking around whose sexxy emanates from deep within. They are comfortable with being a woman with motherly responsibilities and are grounded, stable and have high self-esteem. Their sexxy isn't not vixen nor any sort of provocative, funkky or even Bohemian, it's classic and classy. Shrugs. That's how I see it.

@pookaloo83, what do you think of Don King's do? If you don't like it, why?

ETA: Thanks @EllePixie for the healthier looking hairdo. :grin: It's not exactly microphone head, so would folks who simply just hate the perfect round aka microphone head approve of this less than perfect 'fro like EllePixie? (I'm not talking about the texture folks. I'm asking those who said it's the perfect round they don't like.)

don%20king.jpg

This is an even better non-round afro:
4062-2468.jpg

Don's hair is thin and damaged looking. Nonie :lol:

@loshed, I don't think the thread is about chunky vs microphone, but when OP expressed sadness at having Florida Evans' hair, it begged the question what is so wrong with that. Hence the discussion about why chunky appeals to some over the microphone. And it's interesting to hear the different points of view.

I do like the second chunky fro you posted. :yep: It is neat and has a uniformity about it. All the bumps are the same size and they clearly look like a style that someone actually took care preparing their hair for rather than an accident. Now the first chunky 'fro you posted :perplexed... :nono: I...I...I.don't.even.know.where.to.begin. The only people I saw with hair looking like that when I was growing up were homeless people who couldn't afford a comb or the mentally ill and kids who didn't know any better nor could they be bothered. The lady has beautiful hair but I'm sorry I find her style shockingly ugly. I mean, exactly how does one create a style like that? Do they actually do it on purpose or is it a backfired do that they just make do with? Or does she just not have time to do her hair? She's beautiful though.

Clearly I have no "today" fashion sense coz I do not get some of the styles folks love, be they hair related or clothes related. :look:

:lachen: Nonie I was going to refute a post earlier that you mentioned about the chunky fro look being more because of the trendiness of 3c/4a hairtypes (although I don't disagree with you that that hairtype is definately "in" right now), but using that woman, esperanza spalding, she has the 'chunky fro' that I was trying to describe that is so appealing to me. And she is definately no 3c :grin: It's gotta be just a random preference thing because while that second fro is nice, to me its boring. Now of course I wouldn't rock spaulding's hair to an interview but out on the street shopping? hell yeah! I'd kill for my hair to look like that :lol: Just to show its all in the eye of the beholder.

#teamchunk :giggle:

Rei I totally agree!!! The first pic was delicious hair...second pic...it was okay but I wouldn't do my hair like that. But I am into more "wild" looking hair, I'm spunky like that. Fros like Esperanza's are the reason I went natural. I love that big, voluminous look.

Wowzers....chunky fros are unkempt and out of control...let me get the heyall up outta here....ya'll hurting my e-feelings

*goes and cries in the corner*

I am seriously joking btw, I know my chunky fro is the ish *sashays out of the thread*

Microphone, chunky, lopsided, picked, shrunken, twisted, braided, whatever-I don't discriminate I Love love love them all!

Don King's hair is broken off and damaged. That's not comparable to hair that was styled with intention. the chunky fellow in the picture below King... his fro is ok. I would just pull the sides out a little more. Not to make a round shape, but so the hair doesn't look dented on one side. Chunky fros can still have uniformity. When I was natural and my hair was Florida Evan's length, I would also make a little bumpy fro, like eggs in a carton. It's like the difference between having a standard rental apartment carpet and having a shag carpet, if that makes any sense. :lol: But shag carpets clearly aren't for everyone or for every situation. Like for a job interview, you'd do better with Florida Evans hair rather than egg carton hair. But the egg carton hair still LOOKS cooler. :lol: It just adds some pizazz to a style that's very basic and for better or worse, associated with the 70s. like when the bell-bottom jeans came back in style, they weren't EXACTLY like the bell-bottoms of the 70s; they had a modern take.

I don't think it's a texture thing either. Ms-gg has a perfect chunky fro and no one would ever mistake her for a type 3c or 4a. In fact, her hair from a distance looks a week away from locking and it looks perfect to me.

pookaloo83, what about second dude I posted? :poke: Not microphone, doesn't look damaged. So would you rock that? If not, why?

How about this sort of shape of an afro:
willowbrother.jpg

Rei, if Esperanza's crazy look (IMO) is the look you're going for, then it is clear our tastes are on opposite ends of the spectrum. That doesn't even make me think chunky afro. I am not being mean. I don't know anyone in real life who actually goes around looking like that. :lachen: I'm actually laughing out loud imagining her taking a final look at herself in the mirror before she leaves home. :rofl: I hope I never accidentally drink what some of y'all are drinking. I am all for big hair. But it has to be big hair that looks like some grooming effort was applied, not that looks like you can't manage it and so leave it to its own devices. :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :cry: You know what the hair remind me off, those locs that clump in big ugly chunks. :barf:

Esperanza's afro below is the sort of big hair I prefer; it is clear she owns a comb and I'd not suspect her of being a few sandwiches short of a picnic if I saw her with hair like this. This looks like a classic afro that has just been around all day so no longer perfect but it is clearly groomed hair:
Esperanza+Spalding+Jimmy+Kimmel+Live.jpg

That first pic loshed posted was the sort of look I'd associate with a mentally ill person or someone on drugs or someone too ill to care for their hair. And I'm glad that's not all our hair is capable of because if it were, then I'd totally understand people not wanting to have type 4 hair. I don't think I'd want it either. :lol:

ms-gg, your chunky afro has uniformity so it doesn't look unkempt. As long as there is some order and form, I can see it as a style. I personally would not wear it coz I'm not a fan, but I can actually see there was some effort in creating it and can appreciate it. The chunky fro in your siggy reminds me of a style my cousins used to create by sectioning the hair in square sections and braiding just the tips of the hair and tucking them under so you had similar shapes all over.

Rei...would you still find the chunky fro that I preferred boring if the hair were longer? Like say this:

images

hair.jpg

@Junebug_D, I never said chunky afros cannot have uniformity, but lets not pretend we haven't seen some crazy looking so-called chunky 'fros that look like you had several people working on the head all named Sybil. And you all know what I'm talking about because when someone complains about someone making fun of their hair, not once but several times folks have asked "What did it look like?" Coz y'all know there are some styles you too would kinda look at and wonder "What was she thinking?" Heck, I'm not ashamed to admit I've gone to work with a style that looked cute to start with and ended up looking like Coolio. If @pookaloo83 had laughed at me that day, I'd not have been mad at her coz I did look crazy. But I didn't have any tools to fix the problem so played it off like that was the plan. I've also had the misfortune of trusting a stylist to do my hair and ended up looking like I had hairballs freshed puked and old poop dried up on my head. I was told that it was an "in-between" do and that it'd "fall" and I'd have bounce coils or something. I'm not one of those people who is obsessed with curls but I was excited to add a new dimension to things my hair can do. :nono: I almost ended up with locs. I've had a friend tell me she liked it. :barf: :barf: :barf: talmbout "It's fluffy." :huh: Clearly she's not someone I will ever ask for advice when it comes to styling. :lol: A lot of people on the forum agreed with me that it was ugly. The style was a first for me and I was told it was called finger coils (the stylist was twirling my hair around her fingers the way a crazy person might do it to amuse themselves while rocking back and forth). I've since seen better orderly finger coils like these of one of our own:
FINGER+COILS-+NEWLY+NATURAL.jpg

But the mess I had on my head, yuck! I apologize in advance for anyone who loses his/her appetite after seeing these:

StylistsDoaftertheBC-vi.jpg

That style disgusted me so much that when my friend tried to tell me that it was cute and fluffy (This puppy dog is fluffy!), I magnified and broke down to her all that was wrong with it:

ACloseExaminatinofNoniesTwirls-vi.jpg

But yeah, it's clearly a taste one either acquires or is born with. I most certainly don't have tastebuds for that flavor...so can't even learn to appreciate it on me.

Last edited:
@Nonie the other giy looks a mess. :lol: I like esperanza's chunky fro. Jaden smith looks a mess. Too floppy.

pookaloo83 Now you need to stop. :lol: You said the perfect microphone was not cute. So I gave you other shapes of combed out 'fro and you dissed them too. Can you please show me the combed out 'fro that you actually like? (Or are you anti-combed out, coz that'd explain it.)

Here are more examples to help you out. Do you like any?

kid-from-kid-n-play-high-top-fade.jpg

bobby-brown-1992.jpg

images

2008-sculpted-afro.jpg

8fd98_2006-men-afro.jpg

bgANwdERwiAMAFA6kOS0PT_81ElS5JpYIFwCxxodwh0cxIX0vff3k4_pmNxfZgsxJSxRujlqrd4A-DIvvpI0WXvYY_NBMmBaezaI8TxfwfpALYhPBkJWeJCy3VVGORmJtiyEY_evurkf

55640732374589473.png

mr-t.jpg
or
MrT.jpg

Nonie you are too funny with the visuals. Girl you too?! I did coils thinking they were gonna look like that girls up there and ended up covering it with a hat.

Nonie

Examples of good-looking combed out fros: Angela Davis & Pam Grier. I'm not a fan of the Florida Evans fro, but I always loved Thelma's combed-out puff. Eta: and her full combed out fro.

pookaloo83, what about second dude I posted? :poke: Not microphone, doesn't look damaged. So would you rock that? If not, why?

How about this sort of shape of an afro:
willowbrother.jpg

Rei, if Esperanza's crazy look (IMO) is the look you're going for, then it is clear our tastes are on opposite ends of the spectrum. That doesn't even make me think chunky afro. I am not being mean. I don't know anyone in real life who actually goes around looking like that. :lachen: I'm actually laughing out loud imagining her taking a final look at herself in the mirror before she leaves home. :rofl: I hope I never accidentally drink what some of y'all are drinking. I am all for big hair. But it has to be big hair that looks like some grooming effort was applied, not that looks like you can't manage it and so leave it to its own devices. :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :cry: You know what the hair remind me off, those locs that clump in big ugly chunks. :barf:

Esperanza's afro below is the sort of big hair I prefer; it is clear she owns a comb and I'd not suspect her of being a few sandwiches short of a picnic if I saw her with hair like this. This looks like a classic afro that has just been around all day so no longer perfect but it is clearly groomed hair:

That first pic loshed posted was the sort of look I'd associate with a mentally ill person or someone on drugs or someone too ill to care for their hair. And I'm glad that's not all our hair is capable of because if it were, then I'd totally understand people not wanting to have type 4 hair. I don't think I'd want it either. :lol:

ms-gg, your chunky afro has uniformity so it doesn't look unkempt. As long as there is some order and form, I can see it as a style. I personally would not wear it coz I'm not a fan, but I can actually see there was some effort in creating it and can appreciate it. The chunky fro in your siggy reminds me of a style my cousins used to create by sectioning the hair in square sections and braiding just the tips of the hair and tucking them under so you had similar shapes all over.

Rei...would you still find the chunky fro that I preferred boring if the hair were longer? Like say this:

images

hair.jpg

Nonie we are complete opposites for real because if someone told me as a relaxed head that I could only wear microphone styles or have florida evans hair I would've been relaxed for life (lol just sayin). :lachen: The picture you posted of Esperanza seems just as chunky to me and honestly I while I see the the difference in terms of one looking more 'groomed' than the other I doubt many other people would... But outside of that topic, the two pictures you linked me to are ok mostly because of the style though. Mohawks are definately not dated. It has little to do with length, i've seen some BAA 70s style fros but they're just that...70s style. :look: The long ones seem like they're from the past and the short ones seem like 'old lady' imo, i'm either looking at grandma or wondering where the flower shirts and mile high clear platforms with the fish in them are :lol:

@Nonie

Examples of good-looking combed out fros: Angela Davis & Pam Grier. I'm not a fan of the Florida Evans fro, but I always loved Thelma's combed-out puff. Eta: and her full combed out fro.

@Solitude, so is it a length thing for you? (I like those afros too BTW :up: ) I ask if it's length for you coz you obviously don't mind the microphone look...but the difference I see from Florida's in this case is size--if we're focusing on just hair and NOT the age of the women or their modelesque qualities.

Angela Davis
davis.jpeg

Pam Grier
images

Thelma:
bns_goodtimes.gif

character_floridaevans.gif

ETA: @Solitude, do you like Florida Evan's afro here:

EstherRolleBigAfro-vi.jpg

Last edited:
@Nonie we are complete opposites for real because if someone told me as a relaxed head that I could only wear microphone styles or have florida evans hair I would've been relaxed for life (lol just sayin). :lachen: The picture you posted of Esperanza seems just as chunky to me and honestly I while I see the the difference in terms of one looking more 'groomed' than the other I doubt many other people would... But outside of that topic, the two pictures you linked me to are ok mostly because of the style though. Mohawks are definately not dated. It has little to do with length, i've seen some BAA 70s style fros but they're just that...70s style. :look: The long ones seem like they're from the past and the short ones seem like 'old lady' imo, i'm either looking at grandma or wondering where the flower shirts and mile high clear platforms with the fish in them are :lol:

@Rei, but that's the thing, I see people limit themselves to only twist-outs, braid outs when our hair is so diverse! The chunky afro @loshed posted second which you found boring is no different from the mohawks I posted IMO except for length. You said you found that style boring yet now you like it. So is it a length thing? Coz the only reason I posted them was because you called the previous mohawk posted by @loshed boring.

You see, I do not limit myself to just the microphone afro. In fact, I haven't worn one yet. But rather, I think of the different ways to wear it. As for Esperanza's afro... I don't know if you've ever tried to keep a stretched out afro looking like a microphone all day. It's almost impossible. I've seen that with my puffs. Shrinkage causes the hair to start coiling back on itself so that it ends up looking like the afro of Esperanza I said I like. She clearly combed that hair out (read: groomed it). That afro is no different from the very first afro you posted that you said you didn't like...only her hair is more stretched which is why it looks light/fluffy and almost like a halo while the lady you posted has the hair more compact.

My point is, I see a contradiction in what folks are saying. They hate the microphone afro but like it when it's on some people? Why is that? Is it a length thing? An age thing? Coz all the "examples of afros we like" have been on young, beautiful ladies. I'd say it was just coz the young ladies are keeping up with fashion but I am seeing my classic do still being embraced.

And BTW, the only reason I made the exaggerated comment that I'd have stayed relaxed if that crazy do is all my hair could do is there are people who do nothing else but try to emulate "the appearance of coils" all the time and walking around looking crazy. Our hair is so diverse and acting like it cannot look groomed but just has to look like it's locs in the making (and I don't mean cute even locs but the kind that just look like no one cared some bigger than others and all matted up) is no wonder natural hair is frowned upon in some places. I mean, someone already said she'd not go to work with hair like the style I call "loony do" on Esperanza.. Why not? I suspect it's coz deep down we know it's crazy looking. Even a mohawk of that do would still look crazy in an office. But the chunky mohawks I posted and the one loshed posted look orderly as would a mohawk of a combed afro. So I'd not think twice about wearing one to work coz there's no question about whether it's neat. It is!

I could perhaps transform the classic afro to this; notice hair has been combed and yet it isn't a microphone...but the foundation is that combed out fro. I could wear this anywhere and not worry about it being acceptable:
2002-afro-quiff.jpg

In short, I see beauty in any styles that shows some order. In that thread that BlackMasterPiece started of professional hairstyles, I looked at some of the styles and slowly excused myself out of that thread coz I'm yet to see any of the madness in any corporate office. Perhaps if you're an artist you can be "creative" and it's considered hawt. (Where's Lady Gaga?) But if you're trying to look classy, some order is necessary. Chunky doesn't have to look crazy.

Last edited:
@Rei, but that's the thing, I see people limit themselves to only twist-outs, braid outs when our hair is so diverse! The chunky afro @loshed posted second which you found boring is no different from the mohawks I posted IMO except for length. You said you found that style boring yet now you like it. So is it a length thing? Coz the only reason I posted them was because you called the previous mohawk posted by @loshed boring.

You see, I do not limit myself to just the microphone afro. In fact, I haven't worn one yet. But rather, I think of the different ways to wear it. As for Esperanza's afro... I don't know if you've ever tried to keep a stretched out afro looking like a microphone all day. It's almost impossible. I've seen that with my puffs. Shrinkage causes the hair to start coiling back on itself so that it ends up looking like the afro of Esperanza I said I like. She clearly combed that hair out (read: groomed it). That afro is no different from the very first afro you posted that you said you didn't like...only her hair is more stretched which is why it looks light/fluffy and almost like a halo while the lady you posted has the hair more compact.

My point is, I see a contradiction in what folks are saying. They hate the microphone afro but like it when it's on some people? Why is that? Is it a length thing? An age thing? Coz all the "examples of afros we like" have been on young, beautiful ladies. I'd say it was just coz the young ladies are keeping up with fashion but I am seeing my classic do still being embraced.

And BTW, the only reason I made the exaggerated comment that I'd have stayed relaxed if that crazy do is all my hair could do is there are people who do nothing else but try to emulate "the appearance of coils" all the time and walking around looking crazy. Our hair is so diverse and acting like it cannot look groomed but just has to look like it's locs in the making (and I don't mean cute even locs but the kind that just look like no one cared some bigger than others and all matted up) is no wonder natural hair is frowned upon in some places. I mean, someone already said she'd not go to work with hair like the style I call "loony do" on Esperanza.. Why not? I suspect it's coz deep down we know it's crazy looking. Even a mohawk of that do would still look crazy in an office. But the chunky mohawks I posted and the one loshed posted look orderly as would a mohawk of a combed afro. So I'd not think twice about wearing one to work coz there's no question about whether it's neat. It is!

I could perhaps transform the classic afro to this; notice hair has been combed and yet it isn't a microphone...but the basic is that combed out fro. I could wear this anywhere and not worry about it being acceptable:
2002-afro-quiff.jpg

In short, I see beauty in any styles that shows some order. In that thread that BlackMasterPiece started of professional hairstyles, I looked at some of the styles and slowly excused myself out of that thread coz I'm yet to see any of the madness in any corporate office. Perhaps if you're an artist you can be "creative" and it's considered hawt. (Where's Lady Gaga?) But if you're trying to look classy, some order is necessary. Chunky doesn't have to look crazy.

Length probably does factor into it. But that factors into any style. ie, i look super ridiculous with bantu knots but some ladies who have longer lengths than me look amazing with it. and my twist buns look a pitiful sight next to ladies who have more twist to put into a bun. So yes, a mohawk that is so short so as to not even be recognizable as a mohawk is going to seem sort of boring. I didn't mean to infer that I find the microphone hairstyles unacceptable. They are perfectly fine, just for me and my opinon, I find them to look "old'. And we can't just separate hair from uh...the rest. I might find a ceasar to look fly as heck on one woman whereas on another woman I think that cut looks absolutely ridiculous and mannish.

I agree that our hair is very versatile...that includes not having to be limited in dated hairstyles either :lol: We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this,after all we're sort of arguing about personal opinions. :drunk:

Whew! I just want to say, "Write a book"! That was sheer talent in that rant. You expressed your feelings so well, just like my main character would in my imaginary novel that I think of writing whenever I'm pissed off with my hair. I do understand what you are saying and what I think you're feeling. All I can say is that it is hard. It is hard when my hair doesn't match up with the requirements that I have set. My hair wants to look "its" way. I remind myself of this, out loud, when I find that I have spent 20 minutes on my edges. It's part of the acceptance.

I suppose you have to keep reviewing why you decided to go natural in the first place. Why you decided to accept your hair. It doesn't have to be any deep-rooted, metaphysical reason. I grew weary of blowdrying and curling. Whenever my hair wants to do what it wants, like be dull, frizzy, gray hairs sticking up (I refuse to dye-don't like processes that I have to continue to process) I give in to it. I tell myself that it's cute when it's ugly, and then I put on my make-up and earrings and act cute. This really works! Dare I say that you are being too serious. You need to be more light-hearted about your hair. just keep going. Something told you to do this, so stay with it. Even though it's growing out of your own head, you've got to adjust. You might need 5 years.
However long it takes is how long it takes. Please don't go back to weaves. Weaves are just providing you with a false image of what your hair should be looking like. You don't need weaves in your life right now. Keep venting and writing about it.

pookaloo83...if I had to choose, I'd choose the third first, then the second one next, and the first last. Reason I don't really like the first one is it looks like it's a style that hasn't quite made up its mind. It reminds me of my "finger coils" in that some parts are fluffy, others look tightly twisted... and it'd be OK if there was a uniformity in that so it'd look like one meant for part of the strand to be fluffy and the tips clumped. Instead you have that in some parts and not others as if two different people were arguing about which style to do on one head while actually doing it to prove their point. I mean, it looks like she forgot to undo some of her braids. What are those pointy things sticking out of nowhere all dark and clumped like Celie braids that were not completely undone? :perplexed They all have a bit of that "indecisive hint", but the third one seems to have more uniformity than the others, hence the reason it's my favorite.

You have to see her hair up close to REALLY appreciate how gorgeous it is. I met her last summer at a Jazzfest. Her hair is bigger than the rest of her. :lol:

I'm glad you got good advice, OP! :)

And with that being said, #teamchunkyfros :lol: Nah, but I like microphone fros, too. I will be rocking both once I'm fully natural, but I have a preference for chunky fros. Oh, and I really like is Chary Jay's (160days2Lose2 on YT) microphone/neat fros :yep:

Sitin over here :drool:'n @ all the delicious fro pics bein posted.

@OP I am glad you are feelin better, your hair is beautiful don't give up on it. :bighug:

Just wanna say I love chunky fros and it's not because I could never have a microphone:look:

ndambi2_thumb.JPG
images
<----- This is the business!

@pookaloo83 Now you need to stop. :lol: You said the perfect microphone was not cute. So I gave you other shapes of combed out 'fro and you dissed them too. Can you please show me the combed out 'fro that you actually like? (Or are you anti-combed out, coz that'd explain it.)

Here are more examples to help you out. Do you like any?

kid-from-kid-n-play-high-top-fade.jpg

this is embarrassing, but I had the BIGGEST crush on this boy, high hair and all ahaahahaa :lachen:

Back