How are you all traveling with your hair products?

PeggyFair

Since you can only use those rinky-dinky 3oz. bottles for lotions, oils and other liquid items on the airlines, how are all of you managing? I will be attending the LHCF Las Vegas Convention and I need to travel with my emu oil, coconut oil, AlphaHydroxy cream, Witch Hazel and of course conditioner. I will be in Las Vegas for 5 or 6 days. I could easily buy the Witch Hazel, AHA and conditioner at a drugstore in Vegas but i couldn't use it up in 5 days so that would mean I would have to throw some away, which I DON'T want to do cuz I hate wasting product. Please tell me how you all are managing this?

J-Love is my personal Encyclopedia!! You Rock :thumbsup:!

Ya'll betta stop picking on my and all my "useless information" (that's what my Mom calls it):lachen::lachen:

Thanks! And do you find that this holds enough product to last you for week long trips. I can probably leave my emu behind but I must have my coconut oil. And I guess I can use the conditioner that the hotel supplies.

It holds enough for me, but I think that has alot to do with me being a minimalist when it comes to haircare. However, If you feel a need to take your whole cabinet:lachen: There is a kit they sell at the Container Store, BB&B and Linens n' Things, empty containers(I think about 10-12) in a ziploc bag for travel. It's usually near the checkout.

Ya'll betta stop picking on my and all my "useless information" (that's what my Mom calls it):lachen::lachen:

It holds enough for me, but I think that has alot to do with me being a minimalist when it comes to haircare. However, If you feel a need to take your whole cabinet:lachen: There is a kit they sell at the Container Store, BB&B and Linens n' Things, empty containers(I think about 10-12) in a ziploc bag for travel. It's usually near the checkout.

Kewl! I live near a Container Store(I ALWAYS shop there!) I'll check them out. Do you know if people, or even you, have tried to sneak more on the plane? And do they usually get away with it. I haven't flown in over 10 years. Like I would really like to just sneak my bottle of HE Hello Hydration on the plane.:grin:

Kewl! I live near a Container Store(I ALWAYS shop there!) I'll check them out. Do you know if people, or even you, have tried to sneak more on the plane? And do they usually get away with it. I haven't flown in over 10 years. Like I would really like to just sneak my bottle of HE Hello Hydration on the plane.:grin:

nah, I'm not trying to mess with the TSA guards. I'm sure people try and some probably even succeed.

Oh Lawdy, I don't want to see you on CNN....PJ arrested news at 11:00 pm... Perhaps one of the LV local LHCF ladies can help a fellow PJ sista out! Else we'll have to bail her out of LV jail!!! :laugh:

Why don't you just put it in your checked luggage? This is how to make it spill proof. Close your bottles tightly. Put tape over the caps AND place ONLY ONE bottle of product in a grocery bag. Tie the bag up, so the bag looks like a form-fitting dress rather than a loosely tied "to go" plate from Aunt Cookie's house. Wrap the bag in a small towel or one of your regular towels if you carry them. DO NOT put the product at the top of your luggage. Place it about midway of your luggage. I have done this A LOT, and I only have wasted some Keracare Dry and Itchy Hairdress. That way you have enough product, and your clothes are protected from spillage.

Bubble wrap is also a good option to wrap your bottles. Beauty of New York does it, and their products have never wasted.

Why don't you just put it in your checked luggage? This is how to make it spill proof. Close your bottles tightly. Put tape over the caps AND place ONLY ONE bottle of product in a grocery bag. Tie the bag up, so the bag looks like a form-fitting dress rather than a loosely tied "to go" plate from Aunt Cookie's house. Wrap the bag in a small towel or one of your regular towels if you carry them. DO NOT put the product at the top of your luggage. Place it about midway of your luggage. I have done this A LOT, and I only have wasted some Keracare Dry and Itchy Hairdress. That way you have enough product, and your clothes are protected from spillage.

Bubble wrap is also a good option to wrap your bottles. Beauty of New York does it, and their products have never wasted.
That's what I do as well. The 3-oz regulation applies to carry-on bags. If I need to take more I just put it in my regular luggage. I put anything liquid inside the big gallon sized zip loc bags. I've only had something spill once or twice, and it spilled inside the zip loc, not on my stuff.

I agree..I am traveling alot this summer and securing all my hair products and other precious personals in checked luggage. I place all my products in secure bottles inside ziplock bags snuggled tightly in the middle of my suitcase.

That's what I do as well. The 3-oz regulation applies to carry-on bags. If I need to take more I just put it in my regular luggage. I put anything liquid inside the big gallon sized zip loc bags. I've only had something spill once or twice, and it spilled inside the zip loc, not on my stuff.

Okay, I didn't know this*going back to re-read the tsa website*....If that's the case then this will make life much easier. I haven't flown in about 10 years so I need to get hip to the new rules.

Thanks. I can get the bubble wrap from my job cuz we order so much stuff. I will use this!

I also put mine in my checked luggage. It makes my life easier.

Now, just remember, your checked luggage can only be 50 lbs....I am talking to you PJ's out there or those that have like 10+ hair products they use on a daily basis.
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Have any of you all ever had the airline lose your luggage? I have traveled to Jamaica and California several times and have never lost luggage, but again, that was over 10 years ago. What do you all do to minimize the chances of losing your luggage? TIA.

Have any of you all ever had the airline lose your luggage? I have traveled to Jamaica and California several times and have never lost luggage, but again, that was over 10 years ago. What do you all do to minimize the chances of losing your luggage? TIA.

I have only checked baggage once since Sept. 11th and all the restrictions. Didn't loose any luggage, but it did get ripped/torn. I'm the queen of carry-on. Even when I went on a 12 day trip, it was all in my 1 carry on and very oversized purse:grin:

I don't like taking large sizes of products with me. It's a trip ladies, not a perm. move:lachen::lachen:

I have only checked baggage once since Sept. 11th and all the restrictions. Didn't loose any luggage, but it did get ripped/torn. I'm the queen of carry-on. Even when I went on a 12 day trip, it was all in my 1 carry on and very oversized purse:grin:

I don't like taking large sizes of products with me. It's a trip ladies, not a perm. move:lachen::lachen:

nah..u got competiton.

Just get something similar to what JLove74 posted. That's what I have, however my set came with smaller containers (think lipglass jars) and various other containers. As for any other products, they go in my checked luggage.

I have a travel kit I bought at CVS for 4.99. It came with 4-3 oz. bottles and a clear case. I hate checking luggage, I cram everything that I can into my carry-ons, lol.

Great thread. Does anyone know if your checked luggage has to remain unlocked? The last time I traveled, the checked luggage could not be locked. I looked on the TSA sight but I didn't see anything about it.

Great thread. Does anyone know if your checked luggage has to remain unlocked? The last time I traveled, the checked luggage could not be locked. I looked on the TSA sight but I didn't see anything about it.

When I traveled 2 weeks ago they were announcing that checked luggage can not be locked.

When I traveled 2 weeks ago they were announcing that checked luggage can not be locked.

you can lock it as long as it is a TSA approved lock, so they can open it with a master key.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/locks.shtm

Back