Health vs. Hair: I Gave/Threw Away all My Hair Products Away

Lucia said:
Well I've taken the last step, I've finished my carcinogenic make up and I've ordered some natural lipglosses and lipsticks I really never wore alot of make-up so even though I started fresh w/ all new stuff it shouldn't be that bad-it's still what I would spend if I were to buy all new synthetic make-up.
Even Almay Mary Kay hava parabens wow this is really something. So I will be completely 100% paraben free very soon. The Carol's daughter and Myhoneychild products work really nice and smell good too, I haven't had shelf life problem I just keep them tightly closed, except for the deep condish i keep that in the fridge.

What makeup brand do you use?

Anyway I am about 95% natural with hair products, 95% body (darn my mother for giving me a new lotion) and erm 0% makeup. I haven't found any subs yet. I still use regular anti-perspirant (but SOMETIMES use natural deoderant) and Oil of Olay moisturizer (no parabens as far as I can tell but I'm sure there's other bad stuff in there). I have switched to a natural cleanser though that works well (Dessert Essence).

God gave us a brain, lets use it!

Hey Peoples,

First off, lets be intelligent about the research that suggests paraben is carcinogenic... There is a lot of stuff floating around on the internet that says the converse is true. (i am not saying yea or nay on this subject). Also the studies were probably done on mice that were injected with it or doused with it without washing it off. How fast does it sink in? What is the rate at which our HUMAN bodies break it down?

We also have to consider the major factor of our immune system. If it is up and running well, it will fight the foreign paraben. We need to keep our immune systems healthy for a better attack against cancer.

I have seen studies that soybeans and tofu causes cancer on the internet. I sat down with a nutritionist (Phd) and asked him re: soybeans. He said it may cause cancer in those who aren't eating a balanced diet, but all other foods, familial history, and other factors (how the immune system is doing) isn't factored in, in those studies.

Some research out there is propaganda.

Lets just use our brains and think and reason through this and not get fanatical on any issue...
:)

Re: God gave us a brain, lets use it!

Who's being fanatical? I mena, if it doesn't bother you, continue to use them, please. But others make a decision for their health and where to spend their dollars. Let's not be fanatical or anything now.

PhonyBaloney500 said:
What makeup brand do you use?

Anyway I am about 95% natural with hair products, 95% body (darn my mother for giving me a new lotion) and erm 0% makeup. I haven't found any subs yet. I still use regular anti-perspirant (but SOMETIMES use natural deoderant) and Oil of Olay moisturizer (no parabens as far as I can tell but I'm sure there's other bad stuff in there). I have switched to a natural cleanser though that works well (Dessert Essence).
I've tried Bare essentials, it was OK, but I've fallen off the paraben wagon, It's 50/50 now I use some natural products and some with methylparabens in it, esp. after my face exploded with acne when I went off my regular stuff.
I've cut down my PJ-ism alot so I just use what I need/waht works for me and that's all.

Last edited:
I threw away ALL of my hair products. I recently discoved Curls at Curls.biz, ntural products with healthy products.

I threw away all my facial products, in favor of Cetaphil and baking soda. Baking soda is a soft expholiant that does what all those other products claim to do!

Re: Health vs. Hair: I Gave/Threw Away all My Hair Products

MJ said:
A few weeks ago, Nay posted a thread stating that after threw away her CON conditioner and shampoos because the contained parabens, a carcinogenic. Her post was a total eye-opener I NEVER thought hair products contained carcinogens until I read that post. I read some of the articles in the links she had posted and that when I learned that not only are hair products, cosmetics in general, loaded with toxins. But that products for blacks have more than average.

Within a few days of reading Nay's posts I decided that I would "transition" off all the products with parabens within 6 months and begin 2006 paraben-free lifestyle. I continued to research and learned that parabens were only the tip of the cancer-causing chemicals used in hair products and began to feel uncomfortable using most of the ones I had. Especially due to the fact that I was/am doing daily conditioner washes.

Today, while cleaning my bathroom I found myself taking out and bagging up pretty much all of my soaps, body washes, lotions, etc. after taking one look at the ingredients and noting that they all have AT LEAST two carcinogens. I am one of those people who buy in bulk (for example, I gave away 6 deodorants because they contain 17% aluminum each). I had two shopping bags full of that stuff.

Then later, I didn't plan on doing so, I began do the same with my hair products. This is what I gave or threw away:

- Cr�me of Nature Detangling and Conditioning Shampoo
- Tom�s of Maine Natural Aloe & Almond Shampoo
- Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo
- Nexxus Therappe and Nexxus Botanoil Treatment Shampoo
- Nexxus Humectress
- 2x Kenra Volumizing conditioner
- 2x Kenra Moisturizing conditioner
- Suave Naturals �Milk & Honey� conditioners
- Suave Naturals �Citrus Smoothie� conditioner
- Cr�me of Nature Nourishing Conditioner
- 2x Infusium 23 Professional Original Formula -- the really big bottles
- Nexxus Keraphix Restorative Protein Cr�me Reconstructor
- 2x Emergencee Polymeric Reconstructor
- Lekair Cholesterol Plus
- S-Curl Activator & Moisturizer
- 4x African Royale Braid Sheen Spray
- Blue Magic Hair & Scalp Conditioner �Anti-Breakage Formula�
- Vaseline
- Razac Perfect for Perms
- Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil Hair Treatment
- IC Hair Polisher Styling Gel with Sparkle Lites
- Garnier Fructus Style �Wet Shine Gel�
- Motions Oil Moisturizer 30 oz �Moisture Silk Protein Conditioner�
- Keracare Dry & Itchy Scalp shampoo
- Keracare Humecto (the big tub, half full)

These are stuff I kept:

Good stuff
- Gary Null's Hair Repair
- Hot Six oil
- Jojoba oil
- Castor oil
- Glycerin
- Shea butter
- Amla power
- Gary Null shampoo
- Essential oils: rosemary, lavendar, peppermint
I'm also going to buy an Aubrey's organics conditioner or two (this will be my list of staples)

Bad stuff (from my self relaxer days, I'm going to try again, my hairdresser is destroying my hair. But from now on I'm going to relax no more than three times each year - every 16 weeks)

- Motions Oil Moisturizer �Mild Relaxer�
- Motions Oil Moisturizer 32 oz �Moisture Cr�me Neutralizing Shampoo�
- Creme of Nature netrualizing shampoo (this is the brand my hair dresser use, if I fail with motions again, I'll try CON on my own)

As you can see, almost all my products contained carcinogens. Almost all of them contained parabens, some like CON conditioner contained many; CON conditioner has 4/5.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to grow long, healthy hair without all that stuff, but I'm sure gonna try. My health is more important than my hair.

mzjones

Mzjones, please don't take this he wrong way but, this is a looooonnngg list of hair care products. How many of each of these were you using at a time? I commend you for purging.

While I understand the caution on both sides, it makes A LOT of sense to reduce the known levels of toxins in anything that you place on or in your body. You don't need the FDA or any study to tell you that. It also makes sense to use products that make your life easier. So, my personal philosophy is to choose natural or less toxic ingredients when it makes sense, but if I am unable to do that, I will use what works (in moderation).

I think this is about balancing your life.

Does anyone know at what percentage of the chemicals are damaging to the body. I know that it is better to not have any of the chemicals, but honestly we are not going to get away from all these chemicals in this day and age. My husband had me check up on Milk, vaccine shots, and other items that are processed that are dangerous to our health. I have gone to numerous websites about various products, and finally I had to stop. I told him, that it is hard to escape everything that is harmful to us and our children. Not trying to be political, or negative, but its sadly true in the world we live in now. The information in this thread is very good and useful. I feel like we should all find what is most natural and healthier for ourselves. The more dangerous items we stay away from, the better off we will be.

:) - I like where youre coming from! - You will always find 2 sides to eveything, its up to you to make the decision as to what you believe, but Me personally - I dont believe just because someone says it , that it is so :lol: If so I wouldnt eat any food or drink anything but water :lol:

ritzbitz78 said:
Hey Peoples,

First off, lets be intelligent about the research that suggests paraben is carcinogenic... There is a lot of stuff floating around on the internet that says the converse is true. (i am not saying yea or nay on this subject). Also the studies were probably done on mice that were injected with it or doused with it without washing it off. How fast does it sink in? What is the rate at which our HUMAN bodies break it down?

We also have to consider the major factor of our immune system. If it is up and running well, it will fight the foreign paraben. We need to keep our immune systems healthy for a better attack against cancer.

I have seen studies that soybeans and tofu causes cancer on the internet. I sat down with a nutritionist (Phd) and asked him re: soybeans. He said it may cause cancer in those who aren't eating a balanced diet, but all other foods, familial history, and other factors (how the immune system is doing) isn't factored in, in those studies.

Some research out there is propaganda.

Lets just use our brains and think and reason through this and not get fanatical on any issue...
:)

Question for you ladies!

Would PhytoSpecific's relaxer be a good alternative to regular relaxer?

Thanks in Advance!
MonaRae

For my longterm health and to really keep it simple I'm preparing myself to only take my Women's One a Day and my HSN.

I think I've been using horsetail LONG enough now and its time to grow up and move on from all the supplements.

That is really brave of you. I've also read about the carcinogens in common cosmetics and was dismayed to discover that so many of our hair products and cosmetics contain them. Let us know how this works out for you.

What's the verdict on grapefruit seed extract (gse) as a preservative.

p1

Last edited by a moderator:

A few weeks ago, Nay posted a thread stating that after threw away her CON conditioner and shampoos because the contained parabens, a carcinogenic. Her post was a total eye-opener I NEVER thought hair products contained carcinogens until I read that post. I read some of the articles in the links she had posted and that when I learned that not only are hair products, cosmetics in general, loaded with toxins. But that products for blacks have more than average.

Within a few days of reading Nay's posts I decided that I would "transition" off all the products with parabens within 6 months and begin 2006 paraben-free lifestyle. I continued to research and learned that parabens were only the tip of the cancer-causing chemicals used in hair products and began to feel uncomfortable using most of the ones I had. Especially due to the fact that I was/am doing daily conditioner washes.

Today, while cleaning my bathroom I found myself taking out and bagging up pretty much all of my soaps, body washes, lotions, etc. after taking one look at the ingredients and noting that they all have AT LEAST two carcinogens. I am one of those people who buy in bulk (for example, I gave away 6 deodorants because they contain 17% aluminum each). I had two shopping bags full of that stuff.

Then later, I didn't plan on doing so, I began do the same with my hair products. This is what I gave or threw away:

- Crème of Nature Detangling and Conditioning Shampoo
- Tom’s of Maine Natural Aloe & Almond Shampoo
- Nexxus Humectress
- Suave Naturals “Milk & Honey” conditioners
- Suave Naturals “Citrus Smoothie” conditioner
- Crème of Nature Nourishing Conditioner
- Nexxus Keraphix Restorative Protein Crème Reconstructor
- Blue Magic Hair & Scalp Conditioner “Anti-Breakage Formula”
- Vaseline
- Garnier Fructus Style “Wet Shine Gel”
- Motions Oil Moisturizer 30 oz “Moisture Silk Protein Conditioner”

These are stuff I kept:

Good stuff
- Hot Six oil
- Jojoba oil
- Castor oil
- Glycerin
- Shea butter
- Amla power
- Gary Null shampoo
I'm also going to buy an Aubrey's organics conditioner or two (this will be my list of staples)

Bad stuff (from my self relaxer days, I'm going to try again, my hairdresser is destroying my hair. But from now on I'm going to relax no more than three times each year - every 16 weeks)

- Motions Oil Moisturizer “Mild Relaxer”
- Motions Oil Moisturizer 32 oz “Moisture Crème Neutralizing Shampoo”
- Creme of Nature netrualizing shampoo (this is the brand my hair dresser use, if I fail with motions again, I'll try CON on my own)

As you can see, almost all my products contained carcinogens. Almost all of them contained parabens, some like CON conditioner contained many; CON conditioner has 4/5.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to grow long, healthy hair without all that stuff, but I'm sure gonna try. My health is more important than my hair.

mzjones

It's almost two years since I first posted this thread. I haven't been back for probably a year and half, and today I looked at the product list :nono:.

Gosh, I sure was a PJ :spinning::lachen::lachen:

I can't even imagine now how I used so many products in my hair.

I'm still paraben free and my products list have shortened significantly. It consists of:

Aubrey Organics conditioners and a shampoo
Giovanni direct leave
Castor oil (both types, I'm using up the very last of the clear kind I'd bought a year ago)
Flowers of sulfur
Products that I eat, but also use in my hair hair recipes (honey, molasses, EVOO, coconut oil, etc.)

I surprised myself by never going back. Hmm, maybe it's because I didn't plan the change it sort of just happened...

- Crème of Nature Detangling and Conditioning Shampoo
- Tom’s of Maine Natural Aloe & Almond Shampoo
- Nexxus Humectress
- Suave Naturals “Milk & Honey” conditioners
- Suave Naturals “Citrus Smoothie” conditioner
- Crème of Nature Nourishing Conditioner
- Nexxus Keraphix Restorative Protein Crème Reconstructor
- Blue Magic Hair & Scalp Conditioner “Anti-Breakage Formula”
- Vaseline
- Garnier Fructus Style “Wet Shine Gel”
- Motions Oil Moisturizer 30 oz “Moisture Silk Protein Conditioner”

These are stuff I kept:

Good stuff
- Hot Six oil
- Jojoba oil
- Castor oil
- Glycerin
- Shea butter
- Amla power
- Gary Null shampoo

- Motions Oil Moisturizer “Mild Relaxer”
- Motions Oil Moisturizer 32 oz “Moisture Crème Neutralizing Shampoo”

mzjones

I did this not too long ago. then bought the book "a consumer's dictionary of cosmetic ingredients" by ruth winter

right now I am trying to do the all natureal this with my all natureal hair. I have a link, "calling all chemist" in the hair recipe area of this board where I am updating my concoctions.

I would love to use all natural products, but as a college student that is just way out of my budget. And since I wear braid extensions 98 % of the year, cheaper is what I can afford. Maybe when I am older and have a job and get my hair long enough to stop wearing braid extensions I will switch over. But i do semi incorporate natural hair ingredients from what I have in my house, like molasses (cause no one is cooking with it), honey, yogurt, avocado, ACV

Im in the process of getting rid of products...I just did my first 4 to 5 bag toss this week. I have a few more to go through...but it felt good to get rid of everything and to find things that are working for my hair......

I would love to use all natural products, but as a college student that is just way out of my budget. And since I wear braid extensions 98 % of the year, cheaper is what I can afford. Maybe when I am older and have a job and get my hair long enough to stop wearing braid extensions I will switch over. But i do semi incorporate natural hair ingredients from what I have in my house, like molasses (cause no one is cooking with it), honey, yogurt, avocado, ACV

Dr. Bronners 18-1 Castille Soap (Shampoo, Bodywash, Toothpaste and nice cleaner)

Baking Soda & Water or
Lemon & Honey (see www.motowngirl.com for recipes; No-poo washes, clarifier; and sheen rinse)

Olive Oil (OO) (Moisturizer for skin, hair, Hot-oil treatment)excellent eye-makeup remover)

Sugar: (Mix equal parts with OO for a sugar scrub)

Honey (Anti-bacterial and moisturizing facial mask)

A&D Ointment (Mix/melt with OO, excellent for feet & hands)

How's that for a start?

Last edited:
Great thread...I printed everything yesterday and I'm going to start going through my inventory this evening...Fun on a Friday night, ya'll...

Thank you for this informative thread.

I threw out my commerical products last year and have never felt better. Natural truly is the way forward. Nature provides us with these wonderful plants and fruits for a reason.

I used to carry a list of ingredients to watch out for during my hair shopping days and it was soooooooooo hard to find a commerical product without any of the ingredients to avoid so in the end I just gave up and went to natural products.

It really makes me sick that these companies can put such utter tripe and poison into their products and sell it to their fellow (wo)man. This has got to stop!

I cannot go 100 percent natural on hair care products. I tried but my stylist said they don't work well on my type 4 a/b hair except the natural oils and pomades. So I alternate by using the chemicals (shampoo, conditioner, and detangler) once a month.

I spent too much on my products to throw them out, and in this economy who can afford to keep spending on hair care products? All we can really do is cut back by keeping the toxins to a minimum and do more internal cleansing with natural or organic foods, products or alternative medicine.

It's more important to keep the inside of our body clean than the outside. Health problems always occur from within. That's all I can say.

Last edited:
I cannot go 100 percent natural on hair care products. I tried but my stylist said they don't work well on my type 4 a/b hair except the natural oils and pomades. So I alternate by using the chemicals (shampoo, conditioner, and detangler) once a month.

I spent too much on my products to throw them out, and in this economy who can afford to keep spending on hair care products? All we can really do is cut back by keeping the toxins to a minimum and do more internal cleansing with natural or organic foods, products or alternative medicine.

It's more important to keep the inside of our body clean than the outside. Health problems always occur from within. That's all I can say.

You're stylist lied. That or she doesn't have proper knowledge on natural hair products. It's true natural hair products may not give you the instant shine you want but since using natural products over time the product proves more effective. It takes research and knowledge to determine what kind of natural products work. For example, aloe vera makes my hair a bit stiff so when looking for products to use to maintain my rollerset I make sure aloe vera and water are the first ingredients. Another example, I thought the only way to achieve shine was by using a shine serum with cones. Not true, a water based spritz, a dab of moisturizer and EVCO provides a lot of shine. I've been reading natural health reference book called Prescription for Nutritional Healing and I have realized that there is a natural alternative for almost everything we use. Now, I realize their may never be a healthy alternative to hair relaxers (I'm relaxed) so maybe that's where your stylist is coming from. But to say natural products won't work on your hair can't be true. This wasn't a personal attack just had to voice my opinion.

And bumpity bump for other newbies like myself who are looking foe info!

Back