Honest Question: Is Church Really Necessary?

Sorry to derail your thread OP, but I have a question:

I am in graduate school in a new state 14 hours away from home. A year ago, I finally found a church here that I love (choir, pastor, church members, services to the community -- all great)! The only problem is that it's an hour away. I can't afford to go there and back every Sunday so when I found out they offered streaming services online, I have started watching it online from my home. Last Sunday (as always), the message was so good and I found myself crying and praying in my home. What I got out of the experience was the same as being in church.

Is watching church online not enough? Do I need to be in a church every Sunday to receive my blessings? What am I missing by watching it from my home?

Your church sounds great! Glad you found a good community.

In answer to your question, I would only watch services streaming if I were bedridden at home. If you are physically able, and you're not detained by an emergency or emergency-related job (police, fire, paramedic, etc.) then offer up the sacrifice of that one hour drive to God and make it to church.

Ephesians 5:22-33 {Amplified Bible}

22 Wives, be subject (be submissive and adapt yourselves) to your own husbands as [a service] to the Lord.
23 For the husband is head of the wife as Christ is the Head of the church, Himself the Savior of [His] body.
24 As the church is subject to Christ, so let wives also be subject in everything to their husbands.
25 Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her,
26 So that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the Word,
27 That He might present the church to Himself in glorious splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such things [that she might be holy and faultless].
28 Even so husbands should love their wives as [being in a sense] their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself.
29 For no man ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes
and carefully protects and cherishes it, as Christ does the church,
30 Because we are members (parts) of His body.
31 For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother and shall be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.
32 This mystery is very great, but I speak concerning [the relation of] Christ and the church.
----

I agree, "the church" s not the physical buildings.. but collectively the Church is the Body of Christ...

The phrase “the Body of Christ” is a common New Testament metaphor for the Church (all those who are truly saved). The Church is called “one body in Christ” in Romans 12:5, “one body” in 1 Corinthians 10:17, “the body of Christ” in 1 Corinthians 12:27 and Ephesians 4:12, and “the body” in Hebrews 13:3. The Church is clearly equated with “the body” of Christ in Ephesians 5:23 and Colossians 1:24. [Source: GotQuestions]

Christ is the head of the Body of Christ, not of every single man-made church. No where in the bible does it say that "Christ is the head of the church".:sad:

Poohbear, I grew up going to a Pentecostal church and I have nothing negative to say about that experience. However, when I went on to college, I stopped going to church. I also believed that I didn't need church to be saved and that church was just a building and that I could just be spiritual with God at home. Thankfully the grace of God still kept me covered and I kept my moral standards. I started feeling something was missing from my life and tried so many denominations. I remember going to a few mega-churches and the music was pumping, people looked like they just rolled out of the club :look: and they were having good social time. I could barely get a hymn or a Bible reading. :ohwell: The last church I went to was an episcopal church and I liked the style of worship because it was more traditional but I knew I could never join because of their stance on homosexuality. Finally, I moved and started looking for a church (again!). I went to Catholic mass one Sunday because I was thinking about converting and I have been going to church every Sunday since!

Once I understood the purpose of worship (as Galadriel stated) it became irresistible to me: all the "smells and bells" like the incense (representing purification and our prayers rising up to Heaven as it stated in Revelation) and Holy Water (symbolic of our Baptism and cleansing) and the main event--the Eucharist. We should go to church because Christ tells us plainly that we have to eat this bread and drink this cup or we have no life in us. He was being serious! You can't have holy communion at home or through a televangelist. I know God is truly present at church because when I was going through conversion classes (for about 8 months) I couldn't partake in the Eucharist and it became a yearning in my spirit. I NEVER experienced that feeling before in my life. I started looking forward to Church and if there was any reason to go to church? First Friday adoration? Recollection? Young adult meeting? I took it. Even this summer, I've had the opportunity to go to daily Mass and I have. It is truly a blessing to be in the house of the Lord. :yep: In my mind, I have no excuse for not going to church. I could be traveling or in a foreign country--you will find me in Church trying to follow along in French, Italian, Latin, etc. My obligation is to God.

So I would say before you write off going to church and worship, consider doing some research on how the apostles worshiped and what is pleasing to God. Try a catholic church :grin: (you knew I had to throw that in). Consider reading Scott Hahn's Marriage Supper of the Lamb (which describes how church/mass is eerily similar to the Marriage Feast in Revelations. Church is heaven on earth! God bless. :yep:

Last edited:
Poohbear... God DOES indeed care about you. I care about you.. I hope you don't take my posts to you as picking on you. You know we can go 'round the mulberry bush sometimes.. :lol:

It's disheartening to read the bolded and I'm not sure I understand it, but sincerely hope you won't continue to feel that no one cares about you ..that's a lie from the pit of hell that the devil is trying to make you accept. You are loved here...:love2:

I'm really not trying to put down churches or anything but I just wish someone can understand how I feel. Maybe it is because I am not a people person and do not like to talk to people. Maybe it's because I am socially awkward. Even when I was in the church, I did not feel the presence of God nor Jesus. I felt alone like a ghost like I always do until someone wants me to do something. Other than that, no one really cares about me. :sad:

Christ is the head of the Body of Christ, not of every single man-made church. No where in the bible does it say that "Christ is the head of the church".

Um yes it does

Eph 5:23
For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

@Poohbear

Christ is the head of the Body of Christ, not of every single man-made church. No where in the bible does it say that "Christ is the head of the church".

I guess it's just my personality then, or something deeper than my personality. I seriously have no feeling or upliftment from going to church. In case you do not know, I used to go to church every single Sunday. I used to teach youth for Sunday school and for Wednesday night bible studies. I didn't feel like I was more saved or more in favor with God from going to church. It was like going to work for a couple hours a week without pay. How come no one gets that?

I'm really not trying to put down churches or anything but I just wish someone can understand how I feel. Maybe it is because I am not a people person and do not like to talk to people. Maybe it's because I am socially awkward. Even when I was in the church, I did not feel the presence of God nor Jesus. I felt alone like a ghost like I always do until someone wants me to do something. Other than that, no one really cares about me. :sad:

Pooh, I wasn't going to read this thread. But I'm glad I did. You totallly summed up some feelings I've had for a long while. I may not know all that you're going through, but I truly understand those two bolded parts in your post. I've been burned out.

I couldn't keep up with mid-week activities and rehearsals in addition to office responsibilities. I got there early and left 2 hours after most went home on Sundays. I already had Monday morning blues going to work, and I started feeling the same about Sunday mornings too. I was an empty shell running around doing too much.

After a church split, relocation, and merge, things changed. I couldn't deal with the egos. I had to put my work face on at church to deal with a few people, and that was crazy to me (maybe I was too idealistic). It was too much to handle in addition to family issues.

I want to find somewhere that I can sit down for a bit and blend in the background for a while. Eventually join one ministry and get involved. I never liked being up front and could care less about getting any credit. I'm more of a behind-the-scenes kind of person. Nowhere is perfect, but there's a church home somewhere.

Last edited:
Pooh I understand, I've attended cliquish unwelcoming churches, and I know the feeling. We as believers are supposed to operate in love, but sometimes we don't. In fact, I've noticed that a lot of Christians are a respecter of persons often neglecting people outside their circle.

But don't be dismayed....pray.

Ask God to send you to a church where the truth is preached and His love abides. I prayed for a church home and He led me to one.

Last edited:
Um yes it does

Eph 5:23
For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

@Poohbear
LucieLoo12

Define "church" though biblically without going to an internet article about it? Will the bible say anything about in order to get to heaven, you must be a member of a church, give your tithes, and attend worship services? You can sin like hell all week but as long as you're in church, you're saved? I don't think so.

It is not saying Christ is the head of the church as in the churches that are set up today where men go to worship each other.

For instance, my father is a pastor of a church, but I do not feel like Christ is the head of the church there. I feel like my father is the head of that church. It's like a dictatorship/cult there.

Church has not helped me get any of the blessings that I have that others may consider blessings. These material things don't last forever. Once I die, I cannot take anything with me. My money, my clothes, my car...all that is staying here on earth. I want to be blessed in a spiritual way. And no church has done that for me ever. So therefore, that's why I say Christ is not the head of the church as in the churches set up today.

Last edited:
Belle Du Jour

Thanks for your post. I grew up in the Baptist denomination. Maybe that has something to do with it. I find that most of you here that talk good things about church are not Baptist. Y'all are some other denomination...maybe that's why?

In my search for a new church after leaving the church that my father pastored, I did come across a church that I kinda liked. It was a Pentacostal/Seventh Day Adventist church. It was quite different than what I was used to since they had people speaking in tongues, they are prophets, anointing of oil, and prophecy. The women wore head coverings and long skirts. When I went there, I felt welcomed. After the morning lesson, they had a lunch period which I liked and then went into service which lasted til 7:30pm. This was on a Saturday, not on Sunday. After service, the pastor, his wife, and some of the members took me out to eat. I really liked that. Even though I may not agree or really have a stance on speaking in tongues and prophecy, I really did not mind it at this church.

I always have this urge to go back but it's over 50 miles away from where I live now. I've visited a few churches in my town and did not like them... one was a big black baptist church, one was a small black pentecostal church, and one was a small white church, I think it was baptist or non-denominational.

I never been to a Catholic service, however, I have just a slight idea of what it's like. I went to a private Catholic college from 2002-2006 and I attended a Mass once that happened either before convocation or it was on some other random occasion.

So I don't know. Right now, I don't feel like I should just go to a church here in my town just to say "hey, I go to church" and not get anything out of it except sitting there like a bump on a log and no interaction. This usually happens in churches that are clique-like. I've never been successful with cliques or groups of people. I'm more of a one-on-one type of person.

Poohbear, I grew up going to a Pentecostal church and I have nothing negative to say about that experience. However, when I went on to college, I stopped going to church. I also believed that I didn't need church to be saved and that church was just a building and that I could just be spiritual with God at home. Thankfully the grace of God still kept me covered and I kept my moral standards. I started feeling something was missing from my life and tried so many denominations. I remember going to a few mega-churches and the music was pumping, people looked like they just rolled out of the club :look: and they were having good social time. I could barely get a hymn or a Bible reading. :ohwell: The last church I went to was an episcopal church and I liked the style of worship because it was more traditional but I knew I could never join because of their stance on homosexuality. Finally, I moved and started looking for a church (again!). I went to Catholic mass one Sunday because I was thinking about converting and I have been going to church every Sunday since!

Once I understood the purpose of worship (as Galadriel stated) it became irresistible to me: all the "smells and bells" like the incense (representing purification and our prayers rising up to Heaven as it stated in Revelation) and Holy Water (symbolic of our Baptism and cleansing) and the main event--the Eucharist. We should go to church because Christ tells us plainly that we have to eat this bread and drink this cup or we have no life in us. He was being serious! You can't have holy communion at home or through a televangelist. I know God is truly present at church because when I was going through conversion classes (for about 8 months) I couldn't partake in the Eucharist and it became a yearning in my spirit. I NEVER experienced that feeling before in my life. I started looking forward to Church and if there was any reason to go to church? First Friday adoration? Recollection? Young adult meeting? I took it. Even this summer, I've had the opportunity to go to daily Mass and I have. It is truly a blessing to be in the house of the Lord. :yep: In my mind, I have no excuse for not going to church. I could be traveling or in a foreign country--you will find me in Church trying to follow along in French, Italian, Latin, etc. My obligation is to God.

So I would say before you write off going to church and worship, consider doing some research on how the apostles worshiped and what is pleasing to God. Try a catholic church :grin: (you knew I had to throw that in). Consider reading Scott Hahn's Marriage Supper of the Lamb (which describes how church/mass is eerily similar to the Marriage Feast in Revelations. Church is heaven on earth! God bless. :yep:

Laela - I wish I could feel the same way. I will PM you back. ;)

Poohbear... God DOES indeed care about you. I care about you.. I hope you don't take my posts to you as picking on you. You know we can go 'round the mulberry bush sometimes.. :lol:

It's disheartening to read the bolded and I'm not sure I understand it, but sincerely hope you won't continue to feel that no one cares about you ..that's a lie from the pit of hell that the devil is trying to make you accept. You are loved here...:love2:

I read this article awhile ago that might give you some perspective. I believe this Answer is in response to someone's question in your similar situation:

http://www.gotquestions.org/hurt-by-church.html

Question: "I have been burned and hurt by the church in the past. How can I overcome this and renew a passion for church and a desire to attend church?"

Answer: The pain caused by a church is a “silent killer.” This doesn’t mean that the words and events that “burned” and hurt your heart are not very ugly and public. It is a “silent killer” because of what it does deep in the fabric of the mind, heart, and soul of the wounded. If not dealt with, it will destroy future happiness, joy, and well-being. The collateral damage always negatively affects the ministry and outreach of the church, too, and some churches never recover. Recognize that the behavior which brought such devastation in your heart is not much different than the hurt any of us can encounter in the workplace, marketplace, or home. The difference is we just don’t expect God’s people to behave like those without Christ in their lives. The church is the one place almost everyone agrees should be safe, accepting, forgiving, and free from conflict and pain. Yet, in most churches, at least some elements of strife, conflict, and hatred creep in and shatter that dream.

It happens more in some churches than others. The spiritual health of people in a church and the strength of leadership determine how prevalent and to what extent that divisive behavior can gain control. Out of control, it has the effect of a termite infiltration that slowly and surely decays the foundation of the spiritual life of a congregation.

For you, it is important to turn your focus away from the people involved and the church itself and with laser focus identify the root cause of your pain, turmoil, and disillusionment. Honestly identify what you are feeling. If you are like most, here are some possibilities: anger, sorrow, disappointment, rejection, hurt feelings, jealously, threatened, fear, rebellion, pride, feeling foolish, ashamed, embarrassed, blame, loss… Find out what is at the core of your hurt—not what someone said or did to you, but what is really causing your pain? Then search the Scriptures to discover what God says about what is really hurting you. Take a Bible concordance and look up each word and read, think, pray, and apply the scripture reference. For example, you may think that you are angry when in reality you feel rejected. What does God say about rejection? He says, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5); “I have loved you with an everlasting love” (Jeremiah 31:3); and, “Surely I am with you always" (Matthew 28:20).

When you truly identify the root of your pain, God has a balm of wisdom, compassion, and love to generously apply to heal to your wound(s). If you call on Him for this, your focus quickly becomes riveted on Him rather than on someone else, or dwelling and rehearsing the event over and over that caused you harm. Admittedly, you truly may be harmed, injured, or offended. You certainly feel it. Those are by-products of deeper, more important realities that have derailed your passion for God, His church, and His purpose for your life. This has soured your taste, and if unattended, it will lead to a root of bitterness that will negatively affect every fiber of your soul and will rob you of any possibility of finding fulfillment in Christ. You do not want this to happen in your life.

How do we keep hurtful experiences from moving their destruction into the fiber of our souls? The book of wisdom from the Bible says we must “guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life” (Proverbs 4:23, NLT). We guard our hearts by choosing the thoughts, feelings, attitudes, and actions we hold. Guard your heart in this situation by refusing to rehearse what happened over and over, dwelling on the people who hurt you, and laboring over the weaknesses of the church. This will take humility. “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble” (James 4:6; Proverbs 3:34). It will take forgiving attitudes and actions (Matthew 18:22; Mark 11:27; Ephesians 4:32; Colossians 3:13) with no hint of vengeance (Romans 12:19). Mostly, it will take the power of the Holy Spirit working in and through you (Ephesians 3:16).

Don’t blame God for how His children behave. Don’t abandon the church, either. There are always many more dedicated, grace-filled, loving, and forgiving people than not in most churches. Seek them out. Spend time with them. If you cannot find them, find another church (it is rare that you cannot find them even in the most difficult church environment). The church is God’s idea, and He protects it faithfully even though He is pained often by its behavior.

There is a strong warning throughout this answer that a wound of this kind, if unattended, will penetrate deep into the soul and destroy any chance of living an abundant life in Christ (John 10:10). You can have hope because you are seeking healing. It is now up to you to do the right thing and turn your focus to the place, no, the Person, who will truly transform your life above and beyond this hurt in the following way:

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
--Jesus Christ, Matthew 11:28-30

Poohbear, do you also happen to be an introvert? I'm an introvert and social type / group type situations are so painful. Luckily I'm a "high-functioning" introvert so I can at least deal with other people for a while before withdrawing :lol:

victorious - WOW! You sound like me!!!

I first started off in a baptist church in a different town with my family. This church probably had about 200 members or more but not all of them would attend type deal. There, my father was just a men's bible study teacher and a deacon. I would sing in the choir, usher, and would give children sermons once a month for youth Sunday. We were there from 1990 to 2002. We left because the pastor of that church ordained a woman as a minister to sit up in the pulpit and my dad did not agree with that. He is extremely against women preachers and I don't know why he has such an extreme view about it.

But anyway, we moved to a nondenominational multiracial church that was located in the inner city in late 2002. A minister that left the church we were at planted this new church. At this church, it was mainly a lot of young inner city children that had bad behavior. Hardly any adults. After a few months, I was asked to help teach these kids. So I assisted this white woman in teaching them. I kinda like the church but was still on the fence about it. It didn't quite fit my idea of a church just yet but the pastor there gave pretty good sermons. As time went on, I also started to help with counting the money that was collected on some Sundays.

Then in 2005, things changed. The pastor decided he didn't want to be a pastor anymore. He wanted to be a pharmaceutical sales rep. :lol: I don't think it happened. So he decides to hand over the title to MY FATHER! Big mistake on this minister's part. My father got the big head when this happen to him. And he started being like a dictator. The white woman I was helping left the church and I was now the main teacher of the children there. Instead of some Sundays, I was counting the money every Sunday and even had to deposit the money into the church bank account when the treasurer was out sick (he's an old fat man with a lot of health problems). My dad would make me run the power point slide show, make me do flyers and bulletins, and come up with material for VBS. And he was very unappreciative with the things I did. He would always find something to complain about and then brag about it in front of church folks. His sermons sounded so off based, just full of his opinions about things. I think this other minister that used to be there messed my father up even more. This minister was a 35 year old virgin at the time who was a strict Calvinist who convinced my dad that God doesn't love everyone and that Jesus didn't die for everyone and that only the NASB version of the bible was the best translation.

Then one day in 2007, after doing all this stuff, teaching the kids every Sunday morning and Wednesday nights, my dad asked me to teach the women's class and I said no, I was already doing enough. And he said I was like Jonah in the whale and didn't love God enough and that I was empty. That day really changed the way I saw everything concerning church. That's when my atheist-like feelings came about and I started researching other Christian beliefs. Then in 2010, I made my depart from his church. Of course he said all types of bad things to me such as I am like a pig waddling in its own pig slop and I'm like the prodigal son and he prays that I can be saved, all because I left HIS church.

I didn't feel like church saved me or can save me. I felt empty at church like nothing. Just used for my abilities. No one cared for real. I could say much more about my experience there, but that's why I feel the way I do. Even after leaving his church in 2010, I still managed to visit a whole lot of other churches here and there and just still haven't found the one.

Pooh, I wasn't going to read this thread. But I'm glad I did. You totallly summed up some feelings I've had for a long while. I may not know all that you're going through, but I truly understand those two bolded parts in your post. I've been burned out.

I couldn't keep up with mid-week activities and rehearsals in addition to office responsibilities. I got there early and left 2 hours after most went home on Sundays. I already had Monday morning blues going to work, and I started feeling the same about Sunday mornings too. I was an empty shell running around doing too much.

After a church split, relocation, and merge, things changed. I couldn't deal with the egos. I had to put my work face on at church to deal with a few people, and that was crazy to me (maybe I was too idealistic). It was too much to handle in addition to family issues.

I want to find somewhere that I can sit down for a bit and blend in the background for a while. Eventually join one ministry and get involved. I never liked being up front and could care less about getting any credit. I'm more of a behind-the-scenes kind of person. Nowhere is perfect, but there's a church home somewhere.

Poohbear, do you also happen to be an introvert? I'm an introvert and social type / group type situations are so painful. Luckily I'm a "high-functioning" introvert so I can at least deal with other people for a while before withdrawing :lol:

That reminds of me a test I took that said I am also an introvert. I think I'll post a thread about it.

Galadriel - Yes, I am an INTJ. I've taken the personality test different times and have ranged from 89%-100% for the introverted portion of the test. Around people, my energy is drained. I withdraw quickly from people. I've tried to hang in there but like you said it can be quite painful.

See, I can share more behind a computer screen because I'm here alone and not around y'all face to face. :lol: If we were having this discussion in real life, I would be sitting back listening and would make short comments. However, this is another thing I have noticed too when being around people, especially extroverts...when I do talk or try to explain something, they don't really care for what I have to say. They're are just ready for me to shut up so they can say their next sentence. :ohwell: This has happened in all types of settings...in school, in church, on the phone, at work, around family/friends, or in some type of group setting.

Galadriel - Yes, I am an INTJ. I've taken the personality test different times and have ranged from 89%-100% for the introverted portion of the test. Around people, my energy is drained. I withdraw quickly from people. I've tried to hang in there but like you said it can be quite painful.

See, I can share more behind a computer screen because I'm here alone and not around y'all face to face. :lol: If we were having this discussion in real life, I would be sitting back listening and would make short comments. However, this is another thing I have noticed too when being around people, especially extroverts...when I do talk or try to explain something, they don't really care for what I have to say. They're are just ready for me to shut up so they can say their next sentence. :ohwell: This has happened in all types of settings...in school, in church, on the phone, at work, around family/friends, or in some type of group setting.

That's the exact test I was thinking of. I just posted a thread about it. I'm an INFJ

Introverts, unite! (temporarily, before withdrawing so we can be by our lonesome)

You are so right about that. My husband can never understand why I'm exhausted and completely drained after work (in a job where i have meetings and deal with lots of people and their problems all day).

If you have to miss church every now and then because of school/work, or whatever reason thats fine. It just should not be a lifestyle and mindset of not going to church.God will still bless you at home while you are watching the services because of your sincerity. You can't go because you can't afford it, not because you dont want to go.

You should not have the mindset of "I dont need a church"...

LucieLoo12 - Not attacking you, but how is missing church every now and then "just fine" if you are supporting the notion that Christians need church for salvation and spiritual growth? :perplexed Where do you draw the line for what constitutes missing church "every now and then" versus adequate church attendance? Most devoted churchgoers would say that person would need to give up school/work, or whatever reason and "sacrifice for the church" just to be in attendance so the pastor won't talk bad about ya...

Yay Iwanthealthyhair67 go us! Sept 4 babies! We're awesome! :yep:
Poohbear and Galadriel I'm with ya! Introvert all the way! I'm an INFJ.
And I wanted to give a little update since going to church this past Sunday:

Well my Pastor came back this Sunday and was none too pleased about the goings on since the Sunday before. His sermon, as he called it, was a little preaching and whole lot of teaching.

I tried to keep in mind some of the things that I've read in this thread. I really wasn't expecting a miracle to happen within me about how I feel about going to church, but I tried to keep an open mind. I felt the same, kind of detached, like an observer, the usual. It was an extremely out-of-place Sunday since that meltdown and the accidental murder/suicide of two of our junior deacons. That's a whole nother story. :sad:

But, since the past couple of days, especially since posting this, there has been a surge of, the best way I can describe, a renewal of faith. I got excited and proud to be a Christian. I downloaded an app called Bible Glo (which is awesome, btw) and I started reading verses and felt an amazing sense of understanding. My faith is getting better. I have no idea what happened, but I like it and I want it to get stronger.

Last edited:
You are so right about that. My husband can never understand why I'm exhausted and completely drained after work (in a job where i have meetings and deal with lots of people and their problems all day).

I know, extroverts feed off of being around other people, but introverts get drained. Ironically, my BFF is an extrovert, so she does a whole lot of talking :lol:

letskeepntouch in your siggy you resemble my sister :yep:. Very pretty!

@LucieLoo12 - Not attacking you, but how is missing church every now and then "just fine" if you are supporting the notion that Christians need church for salvation and spiritual growth? :perplexed Where do you draw the line for what constitutes missing church "every now and then" versus adequate church attendance? Most devoted churchgoers would say that person would need to give up school/work, or whatever reason and "sacrifice for the church" just to be in attendance so the pastor won't talk bad about ya...

I think depending on the type of work (fire, police, EMT) it's understandable. None of those are my occupation, so there's really no reason for me not to go to church. I've only missed church when I was recovering at the hospital (or at home) due to childbirth. Other than that, I go. Although we have church every day of the week, Sunday is the solemn day of obligation where we are to dedicate the day to worship, prayer, religious reading, meditation, etc.

"The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands…" (Acts 17:24).

(DISCLAIMER) I have a biased opinion when it comes to religion in general, but I think if G-d made this world as physically beautiful as it is,and such a god is in everything , but one sits in a building to worship, it defeats the point.

"The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands…" (Acts 17:24).

(DISCLAIMER) I have a biased opinion when it comes to religion in general, but I think if G-d made this world as physically beautiful as it is,and such a god is in everything , but one sits in a building to worship, it defeats the point.

jawbsweet the passage that you're quoting (Acts 17:24) is when Paul was speaking of how the Lord God is not an idol like the pagan gods of the Romans :yep:.

Here's a little more context:

22 Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: to an unknown god. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship —and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.
24 “The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. 25 And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. 26 From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27 God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. 28 ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’[b] As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’[c]
29 “Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill. 30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31 For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.”

Remember, even in the Old Testament, God was worshiped at the Temple (which He Himself instructed the people of Israel to build). Not only was the Temple a place of public worship, but was also where God made His presence known in a most powerful and unique way:

The Holy of Holies was hidden by a veil, and no one was permitted to enter except the High Priest, and even he could only enter once a year on the Day of Atonement, to offer the blood of sacrifice and incense before the mercy seat. In the wilderness, on the day that the tabernacle was first raised up, the cloud of the Lord covered the tabernacle. There are other times that this was recorded, and instructions were given that the Lord would appear in the cloud upon the mercy seat, and at that time the priests should not enter into the tabernacle (Leviticus 16:2). According to the Hebrew Bible, the Holy of Holies contained the Ark of the Covenant with representation of Cherubim. Upon completion of the dedication of the Tabernacle, the Voice of God spoke to Moses "from between the Cherubim". (Numbers 7:89).

I think depending on the type of work (fire, police, EMT) it's understandable. None of those are my occupation, so there's really no reason for me not to go to church. I've only missed church when I was recovering at the hospital (or at home) due to childbirth. Other than that, I go. Although we have church every day of the week, Sunday is the solemn day of obligation where we are to dedicate the day to worship, prayer, religious reading, meditation, etc.

Galadriel - what is it like to have church every day of the week? what do you and your church do Monday through Saturday? I like the idea of church everyday as opposed to once a week, especially if there's bible study going on rather than just sitting there watching a program. This could be another reason why I feel nothing from church services.

@Galadriel - what is it like to have church every day of the week? what do you and your church do Monday through Saturday? I like the idea of church everyday as opposed to once a week, especially if there's bible study going on rather than just sitting there watching a program. This could be another reason why I feel nothing from church services.

Our church service (Mass) is usually an hour long. It begins with an entrance procession starting with the altar server who holds up the Crucifix (to remind us of Christ's sacrifice on the Cross as well as to encourage us in carrying our own cross), followed by the lectors (those who will read Bible passages), the priest, those who will help administer Communion, and sometimes a deacon.

The order of service is:

1. First Reading (Old Testament Passage)
  2. Psalm
  3. Second Reading (New Testament passage)
  4. We stand for the Gospel reading
  5. Priest preaches a homily (sermon)
  6. We recite the Nicene Creed (or Apostle's Creed)
  7. We offer up prayers, put our money into the basket, and appointed ministers bring forth the gifts to the altar.
  8. The priest repeats Christ's words at the Last Supper and consecrates the Communion bread and wine.
  9. We say the Our Father and give each other a sign of peace (hand shake)
  10. Those who are in a state of grace can go up and take Communion.
  11. We have a closing prayer.
This is done every day of the week, though the Monday-Friday Masses are a little shorter than the Saturday/Sunday ones.

If you go to church every single day and follow the Bible readings, you'll get through the entire Bible in a year. If you go on just Sundays and holy days, you'll get through the entire Bible in 3 yrs.

In addition to this, the Church has different ministries going on throughout the week, such as Bible Study, religious education, charity work, pro-life work, choir practice, etc.

It gets really fun when we enter Advent season and prepare for Christmas. We go all out on decorations, song and candles. However during Lent, we strip down everything to the bare minimum, and cover the icons and statues, and only reveal them on Easter Sunday.

Ok, I think I'm sort of rambling. I hope I answered your question :lol:

Back