Hip–Tailbone Length (HL–TBL) 2014 Challenge!

Re: Hip Length (HL) 2014 Challenge!

Ladies, I'm changing this challenge to be a HL/TBL challenge for 2014 since both markers are relatively close. Let me know if you have a problem with the change, I can always change it back.

Ladies, I'm changing this challenge to be a HL/TBL challenge for 2014 since both markers are relatively close. Let me know if you have a problem with the change, I can always change it back.

They are pretty close. I don't have a problem with it. By the time some do a length check for HL, they'll realise they are at TBL anyway.

They are pretty close. I don't have a problem with it. By the time some do a length check for HL, they'll realise they are at TBL anyway.
That's exactly what I was thinking. :yep: The title didn't change sadly but I guess people will read the first post and realize this is a HL - TBL challenge.

I like the change, too. Maybe I can really push for TBL and see if I like it.

I finally got the bright idea to whip the shea butter I ordered. What took me so long? It's so smooth and creamy that I can finally imagine using it on my hair. I'll see how it works out when I (finally) get the chance to wash my hair this weekend. I swear, nursing school is the worst thing to happen to my regimen in a long time. I never have time to do anything... :ohwell:

Gonna wash my hair tonight. Here's what I've got planned so far:

- Wash my hair with Clear Hair & Scalp Therapy Complete Care
- Use ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment by applying with a spray bottle to my hair, hopefully I only need a little bit of product
- Deep condition with Proclaim Argan Oil Intense Hydrating Masque and my honey + oil mask together

I like the change, too. Maybe I can really push for TBL and see if I like it.

I finally got the bright idea to whip the shea butter I ordered. What took me so long? It's so smooth and creamy that I can finally imagine using it on my hair. I'll see how it works out when I (finally) get the chance to wash my hair this weekend. I swear, nursing school is the worst thing to happen to my regimen in a long time. I never have time to do anything... :ohwell:

I feel the same way about working. All that free time I had as a student to do 42 hour deep conditioning? gone! How do you whip the shea butter? was it with a blender?

I am still using bantu knot for my protective style. SO I will have to see what happens as the months go on.

Title got changed thanks to, pebbles~ :grin:

Oh, I didn't wash my hair last night, too many steps to do so late. I'll be washing today though.

Ok, I want to join...if only to :drool: over the long haired ladies' pics. :sekret:

My 2013 year end goal is to be grazing MBL at 13 or 14" I figured I'd maintain there, but hey, why not go for the gold? Plus I'm greedy. I'm short at 5'2", so hip length for me is around 17 or 18" That means I need to grow/retain 8-9 inches by December 2014. I think that is doable. I won't be devastated if I don't make it by December '14. Once I get to MBL or WSL, I'll be ecstatic.

Details:

- Current length + hair type: The nowhere land between APL and BSL 9.5" Natural, 4A/B, fine strands, medium density, normal porosity.

- Regimen: Alternate shampoo and co-wash weekly. Alternate protein and moisture DCers weekly. Detangle by fingercombing and using seamless comb gently once a week (sometimes bi-weekly) on wash days. I protective style pretty much every day in large braids or twists pinned up until the next wash day. I take down my pinned up style every other day to moisturize with a spritz of water, bit of leave in, and seal with some type of ceramide oil (usually GSO). On the weeks that I don't use a protein DC, I may spray some Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin during once or twice during the week instead of the water. My hair doesn't mind protein. I also use NJoy's Growth Oil daily with GHE and scalp massages. I eat pretty well, take a multi vitamin or prenatals, and drink a good amount of water. I also exercise at least 3X per week...sometimes more.

- Exact goal length: W(hip) length around 17-18"
- Goal date: December 31, 2014
- Plans: Continue my reggie since it seems to be working.
- Maintenance once goal is achieved: Continue w/my reggie and maintain length by trimming. I prefer protective styles.

Hello Ladies!, i know ive been away for a while..mainly because i forgot to resubscribe... and ive been neglecting my hair too :(. These last two months of school have been hectic on my mind body and hair! i barely have time to sleep these days. Ive completely stopped using my MN mix, i haven't DC'd in weeks, i haven't henna'd since November and i've been keeping my hair in a raggedy bun this whole time! Ive completely depleted my hair stash, i was down to half a bottle of conditioner and 1/4 cup of castor oil until i went shopping this morning. BUT this is all about to stop TODAY! I have Henna on my head right now and ill DC after i rinse around 6:30... then ill try out Johnson and Johnson's baby leave-in and seal with castor oil ..oh i will be applying Sulphur 8 + MN 2 and 4% to my scalp daily! I want to be full MBL by the end of May/ early june!!

I feel the same way about working. All that free time I had as a student to do 42 hour deep conditioning? gone! How do you whip the shea butter? was it with a blender?

I just used a hand mixer cause I was used to creaming butter for cakes. :lol: I melted everything together (used avocado oil and cocoa butter along with some fragrance oil) and let it cool first. Works great! :yep:

I cut my hair in November just right above WL and I haven't done any length checks yet. Today I checked in the mirror and I'm almost at hip bone. I need to go to the salon and get it done professionally before I start posting pictures.

I'm just gonna hang out & post updates in here. 2013 thread is dead. Oh btw my new hair crush ;)

View attachment 207143

Wow who's that?!! She's got beautiful hair :thud:

Last edited:
Hey pre_medicalrulz thanks for the hair inspiration! I would prefer to see your gorgeous mane though.

BostonMaria CONGRATS LADY! So exciting. Now show us some pics. I don't care if you pulling down 1 strand in front of a foggy mirror in the dark. LOL!

@BostonMaria CONGRATS LADY! So exciting. Now show us some pics. I don't care if you pulling down 1 strand in front of a foggy mirror in the dark. LOL!

Ahahaa After I posted that I was like oh no they're going to make me take a picture now LOL

I'll try to take a picture with my camera and post it. My hair is in a V so I'll be pulling that one strand LOL

ET: I just realized I typed tailbone length. My hair is almost HIP length, not tail bone. I wish!

Ahahaa After I posted that I was like oh no they're going to make me take a picture now LOL

I'll try to take a picture with my camera and post it. My hair is in a V so I'll be pulling that one strand LOL

ET: I just realized I typed tailbone length. My hair is almost HIP length, not tail bone. I wish!

LOL! Thank you! I'm sure you'll be TBL this year anyway. Can't wait to see you there.

LOL! Thank you! I'm sure you'll be TBL this year anyway. Can't wait to see you there.

I've been trying to get to hip for a few years. Every time I come close to it I start snipping away my hair with the scissors or get a professional trim. Damn it I'm determined this year :lol:

I saw a woman in real life today with hip length hair and I was so excited and told her I loved he hair. It was kind of weird though but oh we'll she's the first black person that I can remember that has hip length hair.

Last edited:
I've been trying to get to hip for a few years. Every time I come close to it I start snipping away my hair with the scissors or get a professional trim. Damn it I'm determined this year :lol:

Yes! Step away from the scissors. I'm going to invest in a creaclip. I don't use heat at all so I'm sure dusting & a yearly trim will be fine for me.

I had to check to make sure I'm in this challenge. I've been MIA since I've been booted down to the vendor's section. :sad: And I've been so busy that I've only been able to loosely stick to my regimen.

I cowashed and detangled last night. I wanted to DC w/steam but it was too late for all that.

I am making good progress. I'm sneaking up on WL and hope to be there by my birthday in June. I'm still trying to decide whether I want to flat iron my hair for my birthday or not. Surprisingly, I'm ok with my shrinkage. Meh. We'll see. Anywho, dropping my latest length check pic, since I had to take one today for my challenge.

Attachments

• 4-30-13.jpg
    4-30-13.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 146
My hair is doing pretty well lately which is kind of surprising since I haven't been following my regimen as much... but I'm back on it. Trying to be waist this year...

I'm just gonna hang out & post updates in here. 2013 thread is dead. Oh btw my new hair crush ;)

View attachment 207143

Beautiful hair!

I am making good progress. I'm sneaking up on WL and hope to be there by my birthday in June. I'm still trying to decide whether I want to flat iron my hair for my birthday or not. Surprisingly, I'm ok with my shrinkage. Meh. We'll see. Anywho, dropping my latest length check pic, since I had to take one today for my challenge.

Excellent progress! You'll be back to HL before you know it!

NJoy your natural hair is getting so long! I love it! I'm not surprised that its this long already. You'll be foot length by Christmas LOL

Current length + hair type

WL, 4a, Natural

picture.php

Sorry for the grainy image. I had to take this from far away since the mirror is up so high.

Regimen

PS of Choice: Buns, sometimes with twists in the front to prevent straining on the shortest part of my hair. See album.

Shampoo:
T-Sal on my scalp only two or three times per month for build-up. I use Kera Minerals sulfate-free shampoo about once a week. I'll probably have to increase the use of shampoo in the future because I'm moving to a warm climate where I'll sweat more.

Regular Conditioner: Kera Minerals regular conditioner anytime I shampoo on a non DC night.

Deep Conditioners (with heat once per week): Aubrey Organics GPB and One 'n Only Argan Oil Hydrating Mask. I alternate each week so that I don't get a protein overload.

Creme: Cantu Creamy Hair Lotion

Oils: Wild Grown Oil as a sealant

Inside: 50mg of Protein per day, liquid amino acids, fruit smoothies (my favorites are "Green Machine" and "Protein Zone Mango" by Naked), and Country Life Maxi Hair.

Exact goal length

Hip length on the money

Goal date

January 1, 2014

Plans

To keep doing what I'm doing but pay better attention to my ends.

Maintenance once goal is achieved

Cut back to WL to make hair move even and start with fresh ends. Then retain normal routine.

Last edited:
Okay so I didn't wash my hair yet. :giggle: I should've done the whole treatment and everything by now but yeah... lazy. I'll get around to it lol. I saw all these Organix products in the drugstore on sale and I had to hold back from buying all the conditioners, my stash is still too big. :spinning: :lol: Finally drinking water again, ahhhh it feels good. I think I'm going to really cut out all the fizzy drinks for good.

Back