Hide Your Hair Til Christmas Challenge Month 1 update....

I know I am alittle late but I definately want to join. I will be getting a sew-in weave August 2nd and will be wearing it 3 months at a time then re-sewing it up until Christmas. I am really excited about this challenge!!!!!!!

Hey ladies!!

Just checking in. I'm still in braids. I'm using MTG 2x a week and wearing my hair in a bun. I can see new growth coming in especially around my edges in the back the braids are lifting up from the new growth. I haven't measured my hair. My braids have been in since June 25th and they are coming out the end of August.:)

It was hard at first. Thank God for the board support and my bestest friend!!!!! But I did it. I have worn a bun for a month. My hair, your hair, sombody'd hair:)!!!!! The last bun I did I went into this dominican hair shop so my husband could get a shave and the lady said where did you go to get your hair done? I was like uh. She said oh so nice mommi. That made me feel good. I was praying that I just had it on well because I had the baggie on my own hair. Can you imagine OMG!!!!!

So far so good for me. It's so hot right now, so wearing my down is not an option, however I wear my hair up so much until it's getting on my mom's nerves :lol: I still follow my regimen of washing and deep conditioning 1-2x per week and airdrying. Then I put her right back up again :lol: I love this challenge because I don't have to spend so much time styling my hair. Oh I wear my hair in buns and I did some corn rows about two weeks ago.

Keep up the good work ladies, and HHG :) !!!!

BLESSED1 said:
Is it too late to join? I just decided to not mess w/my hair until Jan. when the SO is back in town. I cornrowed it last week & wash daily, moisturize w/ watered down conditioner & surge my scalp & edges. I'm gonna redo the cornrows once a week otherwise my hair gets tangly, & when I leave the house I either wrap a scarf around my hair or when it gets cooler I'm gonna wig it. I'm sick of my short haircut already so I'm serious about this, so this challenge will be good for me

No it's not too late...welcome!

keldevine said:
I know I am alittle late but I definately want to join. I will be getting a sew-in weave August 2nd and will be wearing it 3 months at a time then re-sewing it up until Christmas. I am really excited about this challenge!!!!!!!

Welcome!!!

I'm wearing sew-ins too...but I'm redoing mine 1x per month. I'm scared of matting, and want to really get to my hair on regular basis for protein treats.

kinascott said:
It was hard at first. Thank God for the board support and my bestest friend!!!!! But I did it. I have worn a bun for a month. My hair, your hair, sombody'd hair:)!!!!! The last bun I did I went into this dominican hair shop so my husband could get a shave and the lady said where did you go to get your hair done? I was like uh. She said oh so nice mommi. That made me feel good. I was praying that I just had it on well because I had the baggie on my own hair. Can you imagine OMG!!!!!

I'm so happy you were able to get through the month. Are you going to continue with the bun or go into another style?

It's me checking in. I have been doing lots of CWing with braid outs and twist outs. I usually wear a bun or a french twist.

Decided to day to do twist outs for the rest of the year and wear french twist. Not seeing much growth but still hopeful

RabiaElaine said:
I'm so happy you were able to get through the month. Are you going to continue with the bun or go into another style?

I think I am going to try the kinky twists. I just can't do the micro's. This has been a definite challenge for me but "I can do all things thru christ which strengthens me!":)

So far so good :up:
I've been wearing my phony pony 4 weeks total, my hair has been getting a much needed rest. I love it!

*Dee* said:
So far so good :up:
I've been wearing my phony pony 4 weeks total, my hair has been getting a much needed rest. I love it!

Same here.......It's been too hot to even think of wearing my hair out.

I'd like to officially join also. For the last 4 weeks I've been wearing an updo of my afro phonypony. I also started doing the baggie method again because I started to see some small broken hairs but the baggie stopped it from breaking.

I've been bunning and looking very cute at that. I don't even use a comb anymore I just use my fingers.............. but I'm loving it and I know my hair is too.

I would love to join this challenge please. It will be hard for me as I am 5 months pregnant and getting very fat all over so I feel VERY unattractive to myself and my hubby.

I have been wearing my hair out every day and steam combing the ends to get them straight as I feel like my hair is the only nice thing on me at the moment. Even my face is bloated and fat.

So pls ladies give me lots and lots of support!

ps how do I post a pic on here pls?

hey ladies!!!!

this month has been such an ADVENTURE!!!!

i've gone back to my "Jamaica" regime, and so far...OK!

I've moved house, so alot of my goodies are at my mothers, so week by week i bring over a few more things to my poppas.

i've been:

Water ONLY rinsing every 4 days dabbing dry witha super soft towel, following up with keracare oil moisturizer with jojoba oil..and bunning it (clip under bun). .

every 2 days, misting hair with water and then adding tonnns of shea butter cholesterol to my hair for around 15 mins...i rinse out under the shower with lukewarm and then with freezing cold water...again, dabbing with a towel and applying moisurizer then bunning it.

every 1 day i mist hairwith water, add moisturizer and bun again.

i haven't shampooed for 7 days, but i'm planning on changing this regime now as my hair is healthy and i dont wanna overdo anything. i will co-wash once a week (follwoing the cholesterol routine above) and shampoo every 2 weeks... every day i will mist and apply moisturizer and then bun. i will fingercomb ONLY, and detangle with a comb (pre-poo overnight with amla oil) every 2 weeks...

my regrowth is mad right now but i'm planning a retouch at the beginning on September, i'm having fun with this challenge, cant believe its been a month already and no photos! i have one for the begiining of the challenge which i will post in december in comparison with the december photo (i will be on my 2nd retouch in december!! wayhey)

Now for the shocking part...I...CANDY_C have been slacking BIG TIME with my vits! i've realised in summer that flaxseed and i do not get on, so i've banned it till september...my multi was giving me bumps!...a family member of mine said for me to take it once a week only as black people and the RDA system is not compatable (lol who knows) a it wasn't developed for blacks peeps. soi'm just on biotin and b50 complex, which to me are the big daddies anyway. i will begin 5mg of biotin next week and also l-cysteine!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

Last edited:
I've been cornrowed up and wearing wigs. I've been taking my vits and applying MTG, castor oil, and various oils to my hair and scalp. I love my wigs (very convenient) but man it's hot. lol

I've been wearing my instant weave, as well as wearing my hair in a bun. So far, so good. :)

Not sure if I can hang with a full blown hide my hair til Xmas but I will do it that way 90% of the time. I've had it in a phony pony for 7 days. I shampoo'd and put it right back up. BUT for the last 2 days (since my last shampoo) I've been wearing it down and letting it breathe. Its going back up this evening with plenty of moisturizer.

Last edited:
:eek: I am so tired of this ponytail I dont know what to do with myself. Next month I will be getting some cornrows, I think I will be sticking to braids till the end of this challenge, cause MTG and weaves doesnt mix!

I am doing A LOT better. I have been doing either braidout\twisouts or a phony pony. At first the ponytail was killing my head, then I started using a trouser sock rather than the ouchless ponytail holder. I don't know why, but for some reason, my head does not get along with those ponytail holders. After that I went to the braidout\twistouts. But then I had to stop those because I couldn't keep my hands out of my head. Then my hair started breaking everytime I touched it. So, I went back to my phony pony. Things are great now.

I was going to get two-strand twist extensions, but my edges are thinning, so after getting some good advice, I decided that may not be the best thing for me to do. So, I plan to do a fall in the next couple of weeks. So for all you ladies that have been rockin' the fall, I need to know about it. I was happy to hear that someone wears a ponytail under their fall. That's what I want to do. So ladies, give the all the info you can on falls.

Britfem27 said:
I would love to join this challenge please. It will be hard for me as I am 5 months pregnant and getting very fat all over so I feel VERY unattractive to myself and my hubby.

I have been wearing my hair out every day and steam combing the ends to get them straight as I feel like my hair is the only nice thing on me at the moment. Even my face is bloated and fat.

So pls ladies give me lots and lots of support!

ps how do I post a pic on here pls?

Hey girl!! Congrats on being pregnant!!!!!!

My girlfriend went through this when she was pregnant. Try wearing a beautiful long fall (this way you'll have beautiful long hair, but your hair will be protected underneath). You can also try cute updos with your own hair.

To add pictures to a post I add them as an attachment (the icon is the one that looks like a paperclip in the screen where you type your post).

My hair has been up in braids this year. I just took them out to wash my hair. I have noticed some growth. I can't wait until Christmas so I can show off my hair.

So far so good. I've been washing my hair once a week (and sometimes twice). For the most part I either wear phony ponys or buns. I got my hair relaxed on 7/22 and to my surprise my hair had grown quite a bit. I can't wait to see how much progress I've made by Christmas.

I wear a fall. My hair is 9-10 inches long. I conditioner wash 3-5 times per week and wash weekly & DC. I moisturize my hair at night and while it is wet from the conditioner wash or moist/wet from braid spray and moisturizer I comb it back into a low very loose ponytail using a stocking type band instead of a ponytail holder because this seems to be more gentle on my hair. I loop the hair under and wrap the band around the loop and tuck in any ends that are left out. (I hope that makes sense) I sleep with a satin scarf and when I wake up my hair is laying flat. I put the fall on using only the front comb, the back comb seems to bother the nape of my neck. All of my hair except for the first inch in the front is under the fall. I place a headband over the point where the fall begins.

Back