HIDE THE HEAT: SUMMER 2013 CHALLENGE

I am in, just finish blow drying my hair for a length check. Going for APL yet again and attempting to grow out a really bad layered cut. I am excited to put down the heat for the rest of the summer.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 26
Glad so many are on board :yep: Before we know it, it'll be halfway through the challenge... then the end.. let's go hard every single day for an awesome reveal in September :boxing:

Ok enough pep talk :blah: more action

Day one :grin: Wearing a ponytail curled from 2 flexi-rods left in overnight. My hair is feeling really weighed down today from all the moisturizing and sealing.. can't wait to wash & DC tomorrow

Tempted to going back to my daily rollersets. Mostly air-dried overnight, but I'll do the dryer thing for like 10-15minutes for good measure to make sure it's not soaking wet before I sleep and that it's fully dry by the morning. Oh and back to using my snap-caps. So...yea, I'm definitely in this challenge. I'll just have to remember no heat passes.

Attachments

• hair2-062113.JPG
    hair2-062113.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 23
Wearing a 5 day old braidout in a banana clip. Yesterday was my first time using one, so far I'm liking it a lot better than hairtie. Wash day tomorrow! :drunk:

Attachments

• 20130620_184531.jpg
    20130620_184531.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20130620_184436.jpg
    20130620_184436.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 30
Moisturized with the LOCO method...
(Liquid) Aphogee Green Tea Mist;
(Oil) JBCO+coconut+vitamin E oil mix;
(Cream) African Pride moisturizer;
(Oil) grapeseed oil.

Then braided hair in 6 sections that I don't plan to remove until Monday's braid out

I'm trying to figure out a heat-free style for work that can be left in for at least a week at a time. Thinking of a French braid but idk...

Wore my twits under a beanie today for a training class for work. Did a little pompadour with the front twists, and put the beanie to the rest. No pictures cause I was late this morning, but you get the visual. After my workout this evening I just had to rinse my hair. Can't have a funky smelling twist out tonight.
I wrapped them in a t shirt to speed up drying, and I think they should be ready by the time I leave for the club. They look very frizzy so if anything I will just puff it. Pictures to come later.

Tell us more.

ronie - I've removed all heat from my regimen.

I add honey and EVOO to all of my dc's. I used to heat the honey first (to remove the lightening properties), then mix it in with the EVOO and conditioner. Now, I want to lighten my hair, so I don't heat the honey.

I just mix the honey, EVOO, and conditioner and apply generously to my damp (shampooed) hair. Then I put on a plastic cap and do house stuff for about an hour, rinse, and airdry. My hair is just as soft and conditioned as it was when I dc'd under my hood dryer. :yep:

I'm in. Heat free regi isn't much. Soon putting an install in and going to just co-wash or roller set with that. Then going to do some box braids for September. Nothing spectacular.

Wearing a 5 day old braidout in a banana clip. Yesterday was my first time using one, so far I'm liking it a lot better than hairtie. Wash day tomorrow! :drunk:

Banana clips are a god send! My edges have never looked so full since going to them instead of ponytail holders.

Ok here s my heat free hair do last night. I thought the twist out looked decent enough so I did not put my hair in a puff.

image-2841403336.jpg

Front

image-3480684595.jpg

Back; I fluffed it out just a bit more

image-3258933361.jpg

Since DH wants to go partying again tonight, came home, braided, set on perm rods, sprayed with Shea moisture curl and shine mist then satin bonnet for bed.
Hope I get a style out of it tonight.

I'm still here in this thing!! No heat all week, like I said I always do this and I love having "my people" with me this time :lol: I've been in high buns this week and still m&s as usual. I'm going to do a deep condition and henna this evening and get ready to relax my daughter's hair in the morning. Might rock a braid out or French braid next week. Anything cute, but low maintenance as I'm in operation "GROW" until I reach MBL and can show out this fall!! :lachen:

Good to see all the ladies joining!!

So yall I'm out of this challenge. I'm using heat today and prob every 2wks. My lil rollerset I did not like and just obsessed over how wack it looked. So I'll go back to a more sleek look that ends up being lower maintenance for me.

So i am still hanging in. 2 days down. A whole lot more days to go....my fake a$$ braid out at the pool! Hair of the day

Attachments

• image-3554557189.jpg
    image-3554557189.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 48
Ok here s my heat free hair do last night. I thought the twist out looked decent enough so I did not put my hair in a puff.

View attachment 214093

Front

View attachment 214095

Back; I fluffed it out just a bit more

View attachment 214097

Since DH wants to go partying again tonight, came home, braided, set on perm rods, sprayed with Shea moisture curl and shine mist then satin bonnet for bed.
Hope I get a style out of it tonight.

[USER][/USER]ronie

ur hair is looking very nice lady....I especially like the back shot of the twist out....If my hair would stay as defined as urs this challenge would be a snap....but it doesn't, so the struggle continues....

[USER][/USER]ronie

ur hair is looking very nice lady....I especially like the back shot of the twist out....If my hair would stay as defined as urs this challenge would be a snap....but it doesn't, so the struggle continues....

Hahaha. Thanks much miss lady. I will exchange the definition for that jaw dropping ponytail of yours anytime (serious offer:lol:). Your hair is absolutely gorgeous.
My motivation is the fact that i wont need a trim at all the summer, meaning longer hair for my flat iron in september. Only 88 days left:look:

@ronie

You are quite welcome...and u can have this ponytail....my man makes fun of it ALL the time! But thank U , very much for the compliment! Thats why I love the boards bc everyone is so positive! In my real life, if my hair isn't "laid". I am going to hear about it.... Lmao!

But I really mean it, if my twist/braid outs had lasting definition, like urs... I would be a mess to deal wit! Couldn't tell me ish! But once i unravel my hair its a ball of cotton candy. Posting a pic of what it looked like after the pool. Girl. I look crazy!!!!

and yes u can definitely go longer without the trims if u use less heat...how often do you usually trim?...and u had to give a specific number of days huh? 88 to be exact huh?....smdh....that just hurt soooooo much:nono:

Attachments

• image-3931429625.jpg
    image-3931429625.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Doing a braid & curl out. Hoping it looks decent or I will be back in the puff lol

How did your braid n curl out turn out RoundEyedGirl504?

So yall I'm out of this challenge. I'm using heat today and prob every 2wks. My lil rollerset I did not like and just obsessed over how wack it looked. So I'll go back to a more sleek look that ends up being lower maintenance for me.

Aww it was nice having you -- feel free to update us on how it works out for ya!

@ronie

You are quite welcome...and u can have this ponytail....my man makes fun of it ALL the time! But thank U , very much for the compliment! Thats why I love the boards bc everyone is so positive! In my real life, if my hair isn't "laid". I am going to hear about it.... Lmao!

But I really mean it, if my twist/braid outs had lasting definition, like urs... I would be a mess to deal wit! Couldn't tell me ish! But once i unravel my hair its a ball of cotton candy. Posting a pic of what it looked like after the pool. Girl. I look crazy!!!!

and yes u can definitely go longer without the trims if u use less heat...how often do you usually trim?...and u had to give a specific number of days huh? 88 to be exact huh?....smdh....that just hurt soooooo much:nono:
You have gorgeous hair, seriously!!

I'm loving all the pics & positivity in this thread, LMAO @ counting the days though :lachen:

...Only 87 more days to go :look:

At the end of the challenge the plan is to relax, flat iron, and bask in the progress I've made. Visualizing progress is the key to success in letting go of the flat iron for a bit.

This weekend I made a U-Part wig and it came out really nice and natural looking, so I will likely be rocking this and other self-made wigs the whole summer. The reason it came out perfect is because I left a deep U-part, so a lot of my hair is left out and blended. To style the leave out I just use some CHI silk infusion and air dry it in a middle part so when it's dry it's already perfectly smoothed, and if not I smooth with Caruso steam rollers on the ends. Underneath, my hair is chillin in 2 braids that I theoretically don't have to remove for weeks at a time :grin:

Finally mustered up the confidence to wear fake hair in the office and so far it's a hit (getting lots of compliments!! barely any tension on my edges thanks to strategically placed wig clips and bobby pins).

PSing with wigs + less direct heat + stretching relaxers is 80% of the reason my hair grew & retained from neck length to MBL. The other 20% comes from DC'ing, moisturizing and sealing, biotin, etc;

Glad to finally be going back to what I know and revisit these things that worked. In retrospect, I took a year off from hair care but back on a mission. Waist length by December please and thanks :pray:

I'm still in on this. I installed Havana twists on Saturday night. I love how light they are and will keep them in for 4 weeks, take them for 2 weeks, rinse and repeat. Relaxer touch up isn't until November so I'll probably keep going until then. I really don't have much time for anything as I am preparing for another exam next week and after that will be studying nonstop for 4 exams in December. Will definitely pamper my hair when it is out of the twists but while in I'll cowash once a week and spritz with my moisturizing mix every night (a protein spritz on the 4th day).

U-Part wig pics!!!

So I made this on Saturday. This wig was a major hit at work (many compliments and not too much tension on my scalp). For my leave out just made a middle part, tied a satin scarf tight to air dry, and used steam rollers to smooth -- at night I just pin-curled the front and put a roller on top; in the morning I'm good to go, no heat. I'm only 8 weeks post so hopefully this method continues to work later in my stretch.. planning to go for another 3 months *gulp* anyway on to the pics!

hai2.jpg

hair3.jpg

har1.jpg

I layered the mess out of the wig to make it look more natchal. For now just bumping the ends but looking forward to doing some flexi-rod curls on it when I get bored. See I'm even going heat-free on my wig hair :grin: You can kind of see where my leave out is (it's jet black because I did a color rinse recently, but over time it'll blend better as it fades)

I found my staple protective style for this challenge :yay: if you're not on the wig bandwagon, I highly recommend it!! :yep:

Last edited:
U-Part wig pics!!!

So I made this on Saturday. This wig was a major hit at work (many compliments and not too much tension on my scalp). For my leave out just made a middle part, tied a satin scarf tight to air dry, and used steam rollers to smooth -- at night I just pin-curled the front and put a roller on top; in the morning I'm good to go, no heat. I'm only 8 weeks post so hopefully this method continues to work later in my stretch.. planning to go for another 3 months *gulp* anyway on to the pics!

I layered the mess out of the wig to make it look more natchal. For now just bumping the ends but looking forward to doing some flexi-rod curls on it when I get bored. See I'm even going heat-free on my wig hair :grin: You can kind of see where my leave out is (it's jet black because I did a color rinse recently, but over time it'll blend better as it fades)

I found my staple protective style for this challenge :yay: if you're not on the wig bandwagon, I highly recommend it!! :yep:

AlliCat. Guuuuurrrllll! You did the damn thing! Your hair looks gorgeous...I mean you really did a professional job! Congrats!

@ronie

:perplexed. They need Jesus:lol:

U-Part wig pics!!!

hai2.jpg

hair3.jpg

har1.jpg

Girl you did an amazing job. This makes me want to grab my flat iron and rock a straight wig too:look:. I could not tell your hair from the wig; gorgeous hair all around.
My hair is still in large twist from wash day yesterday. I will moisturize and seal in the morning and put back the small twists. When i go back to work next week, i will miss those lazy days with my hair.

I don't know if I can still join. I haven't used heat since May... I am relaxed and trying to grow back my hair since going from about bsl to ear length in January. I officially started my healthy hair journey in June (abt 4 weeks now).
I beleive laying off the heat all summer will help greatly. I might have a wedding to attend in september, but I'm sure I'll be able to find some other type of hairstyle besides straight (otherwise I would have to cheat :D)

Here's to a beatiful heat free summer

I don't know if I can still join. I haven't used heat since May... I am relaxed and trying to grow back my hair since going from about bsl to ear length in January. I officially started my healthy hair journey in June (abt 4 weeks now).
I beleive laying off the heat all summer will help greatly. I might have a wedding to attend in september, but I'm sure I'll be able to find some other type of hairstyle besides straight (otherwise I would have to cheat :D)

Welcome Tatilove. How are you planning to heat free style your hair?
BTW 85 days left ladies. We re doing great.

Tatilove :welcome: what's your regimen?

[USER][/USER]
Welcome @Tatilove. How are you planning to heat free style your hair?
BTW 85 days left ladies. We re doing great.[/QUOTE

ronie....there you go again.....reminding me how loooooooongggg we have left......:perplexed

I kid....:lachen:

Anyway...I haven't cracked yet, planning on cowashing today before work, airdrying to about 70% dry, then putting up in a bun.

Back