Hi Naturals..... can I get a count....

How often are your doing a straight look??

• Weekly... twice a week

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Weekly....once a week

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • Twice a month....every 2 weeks

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • Once a month.....just to check the length, change your look

Votes: 58 25.6%
  • Never

Votes: 132 58.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ccd

I'm in the process of stretching my hair and I'm just thinking of the possibilities at the moment.....How possible is it to have both natural coils, kinks and curls and then being able to straighten. What's percentage of you ladies keep your hair natural all the time or how many of you go back and forth.

I would like to know how often are you guys straightening your natural hair?

Last edited:
I don't straighten anymore but I was a pressed natural for a long time. I haven't straightened since '06 and I plan to never do it again.

Now this was before I new about healthy hair care practices, but my hair dresser used to press my hair with a pressing comb and no heat protectant. It lasted about a month, and I never straightened more often than every 2 weeks. My texture was considerably loosened because of the heat, even though it was low-medium.

Personally, I wouldn't straighten more than once a month. And even then it would only be after consistent DC'ing with protein/moisture, using a heat protectant, low heat, and a fully ceramic/tourmaline iron.

I will put never but never is a looong time. As for now, I can say the last 4 years I have not straighten my hair to take a look at the length. But that isn't to say I never will. Just for now, I prefer to use the method I have been using which is to pull my hair down and measure it against my back or the Tshirt with the measurments on it.

What is that saying never say never! :)

I've straightened twice since my BC. I don't ever do it myself because I get overwhelmed easily. I rather pay someone else to do it.

Thus far, never. I haven't straightened my hair in over..........8 years, now? 5 of them I had locs, but still. ;)

Thanks gals!!! And keep em coming! I love to hear your stories too so definitely let me know why you do or don't straighten:yep::yep::yep:

I hardly ever straighten my hair, in the beginning of my transition I straightened every two weeks, as my hair grew out I stopped straightened, I think i have flat ironed my hair four or five times since May of 2008.

Thanks gals!!! And keep em coming! I love to hear your stories too so definitely let me know why you do or don't straighten:yep::yep::yep:

I don't straighten because I have fine hair that I want to grow down to my behind, and even minor heat damage isn't part of my plan.

Also, I think I look - strange - with straight hair. Rather like me wearing blue contacts - it just doesn't go with my facial structure. :look:

Also, I hate having hair touch my face, and when my hair was straight, I couldn't keep it contained for anything - that would drive me insane.

So, several reasons, all of which equal out to keeping it kinky. :yep:

I didn't choose. I haven't straightened my whole head since 2006 or beginning of 2007 (I'd need to check). I did straighten a section to see if natural hair shines w/o products when straightened but it as about an inch square. I haven't straighten my entire head for 2 years now. Not sure when I will, but I think down the line I will. I'm waiting for JustKiya and MsCocoface to show me how it's done. :look:

i'm new to the natural world and haven't straightened yet..not even during transitioning although I *thought* about it. I plan to straighten every once in a while, primarily for length checks and for the hubby.

I go back and forth. I usually do straigthening in the winter and curly in the summer. Currently I straighten every 7 days

I could not vote because my answer is not available. I can't honestly say never because I know I will. I also know it will not be every month.

Breakdown: I've been totally natural since new years. I have not straightened since October of last year. I plan on getting it done this weekend for a length check and just to see how it looks.

I sweat in my head and doing a straight look often is not sensible. I'm too active for that and it would be a waste of time.

I didn't choose. I haven't straightened my whole head since 2006 or beginning of 2007 (I'd need to check). I did straighten a section to see if natural hair shines w/o products when straightened but it as about an inch square. I haven't straighten my entire head for 2 years now. Not sure when I will, but I think down the line I will. I'm waiting for JustKiya and MsCocoface to show me how it's done. :look:

Oooh, you might be waiting for a minute, on us. See, cuz first, I'd have to buy the right tools, and I'm cheap - so the likelihood of me dropping the ducats for the quality of heat tools I would allow to touch my hair? Low. Real low. :lol:

I'm, uh, philosophically against straightening:look:.

Ooooh, do tell!!! :yep:

I've straightened via rollerset once since going natural but I'm newly natural. I may do this at least twice before the weather gets warm (I'm in the natural rollerset challenge). I'm pretty lazy when it comes to setting so I don't see myself setting that often. I don't use flat irons, hot combs, or curling irons and don't plan to.

I would probably average out to once every 4 months.

Last edited:
I answered never because the other answers did not apply. Moreover, I am not sold on straightening my hair in the near future.

I last straightened at the salon in 12/07 and 6 times in the past 3 years. I doubt I will do it more frequently in the future.

I do not straighten right now because......
· I like the look of my natural hair
· I am afraid of ruining the texture pattern
· I am too lazy to do it myself
· it hurts to get it done at the salon

ETA:
I think it is possible to go back in forth without losing your texture but I would....
-use protein and a heat protectant if using a flat iron
-avoid high heat settings on the flat iron or blow dryer
-straighten infrequently
-try roller setting

Last edited:
Oooh, you might be waiting for a minute, on us. See, cuz first, I'd have to buy the right tools, and I'm cheap - so the likelihood of me dropping the ducats for the quality of heat tools I would allow to touch my hair? Low. Real low. :lol:

I agree with this sentiment. IF I were going to straighten I'd need a 100% ceramic/tourmaline iron and the best heat protectant (with the strongest silicones and silk proteins) available. Way too rich for my blood.

Ooooh, do tell!!! :yep:

The simplest way I can explain is: if my hair were meant to be straight, it would grow out of my scalp that way.

I'm a new natural and I have straightened once since my December chop out of curiosity and I wet it the same day cause I missed my naps.

I'm so over straight hair right now and
I dont want to risk damaging my natural curl.

Last edited:
I rarely straighten my hair. I did twice this month for the fun of it but after a couple of days, I usually want my curly hair back. In fact, I just flat ironed yesterday, and I already want to just throw some DC on my hair.

The simplest way I can explain is: if my hair were meant to be straight, it would grow out of my scalp that way.

I agree, even though I don't follow my own advice. I get bored sometimes and just want to see. Plus, it makes my grandmother happy to see my hair straight sometimes.

I probably won't straighten my hair again until this time next year.

And I don't straighten because I don't have the patience and I'm not paying someone to do it either. It may take me three hours to twist my hair but that's three hours I'm sitting down, I have to stand when I straighten. Another reason is I'm afraid of heat damage, there are parts of my hair that haven't kinked back up because of me straightening so I just don't do it.

I'm in the process of stretching my hair and I'm just thinking of the possibilities at the moment.....How possible is it to have both natural coils, kinks and curls and then being able to straighten. What's percentage of you ladies keep your hair natural all the time or how many of you go back and forth.

I would like to know how often are you guys straightening your natural hair?

In the summer, I didn't straighten much at all, but now that it's cold, I'm straightening once a month.

I haven't had any problems. I use lots of heat protectant, deep condition, and do protein treatments every now and then.

Once it gets warm, I'm going to go back to nappy styles and straighten far less often.

I agree with this sentiment. IF I were going to straighten I'd need a 100% ceramic/tourmaline iron and the best heat protectant (with the strongest silicones and silk proteins) available. Way too rich for my blood.

:giggle: I feel you, on both counts. If they had a 'Rent a Flat Iron' program in the DirtyDirty, I might consider it a little more.

I have considered doing rollersets.... that might be the closest to 'straight' I'll get.

I haven't straightened my hair yet but I've only been all natural for 6 months. I'll probably straighten after 1 full year and then every 2-3 months.

Back