Hi Naturals..... can I get a count....

How often are your doing a straight look??

• Weekly... twice a week

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Weekly....once a week

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • Twice a month....every 2 weeks

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • Once a month.....just to check the length, change your look

Votes: 58 25.6%
  • Never

Votes: 132 58.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't do it that often. The last time resulted in heat damage and BC:nono:. So I am not big on straightening my hair. (June 2008 at a salon. will not happen again in this lifetime.)

A cool blow dryer and bumping with a flat iron, I will do myself, but I don't like the look..... so it isn't that often. I did it 3wks ago, won't do that again for maybe 10 months or more.

I haven't straightened since I big chopped ... which was 6 months ago. I plan to get my hair straighted this Sunday to mark the 2-year anniversary since my last relaxer. After that, I won't straighten again until September.

I straighten probably every 4 months. Other than that, I wear my hair in twist, twist-outs and wash and go styles.

I got mine done twice this month because I wanted to see the length difference from MT and cholorella but I want to try for once a month

Also, I think I look - strange - with straight hair. Rather like me wearing blue contacts - it just doesn't go with my facial structure. :look:

This is me exactly.:yep: I don't straighten my hair for various reason but this is probably one of the main ones. I just don't look right with straight hair.:nono:

I did it once in the 6 years I've been natural. I don't plan on doing it on a regular basis. :perplexed Too afraid of damage, too much maintenance, and I don't look right.

I put never like some other people because all of the other options didn't apply. In the 2.5 years I've been natural I've had my hair straightened once. It did result in heat damage of one section of my hair, so I don't know that I will ever go to a salon again, but definitely in the future I would like to try straightening it myself.

I've been natural for 6 years and have only straightened twice....but now that I've learned better practices from this site, I think I'm gonna do it about every 8 weeks.

About once a month during the colder weather. I'm going to estimate every 2-3 months in summer.

I do it for a change of pace more so for my husband than for me.

I'm was discouraged because my hair is fighting against being strait. :blush: When it grows longer, I'll try again. Until that time, I'll be trying to perfect flat and 2 strand twists.:rolleyes:

I couldn't vote because I don't have a set amount of time. I straighten it whenever I feel like wearing my hair straight, which isn't that often. Straight hair is harder for me to deal with than natural hair (is that weird?).

I voted twice a month but its usually a Rollerset and a light flat iron. My hair gets let's tangles and knots when slightly straight and fits better under my wigs. The few times I tried straightening for real my hair poofed back up within a hour (even with smb) so it isn't worth it right now.

Every once in a blue moon. Most of the time once it's straight I only like it for a few days then I start to miss my curls. That and I hate having to work at keeping it straight and smooth (wrap or pin curl at night, remember to wear my shower cap, can't be out in humidity, run from the rain, etc.). It's easier to keep it curly.

Last edited:
I've done it 3 times since I've been natural (been natural for 11yrs now). The last time was about a month ago. I'll have to say that I must have been something wrong b/c my hair feel terrible after. So, I'll venture to say that I won't be straightening my hair anytime soon.

I didn't vote because I don't have a time frame. At some point in 2007 it was once month to check length but after a few months that got old, my hair only grows so much in a month. Now I only straighten a few times a year. I straightened last week to try and self trim but the S&D wasn't working so I'm going to the Dominicans tomorrow to have them straighten & trim it. :perplexed

How do you ladies trim your natural hair? S&D takes forever, I have too many splits and knots. I heard of twisting it to trim but I want it to look good straight.

When I first BC, I was flat ironing every two weeks. I haven't straightened my whole head in 3 months and will stick with every three months.

I couldn't answer the poll because I straigthen every 3 to 4 months the last time was Dec, this year I plan to do for Easter and the 4th of July

I have been perm free since February 2004, but I have used heat on my hair consistently since then. I have not been able to retain my hair growth past my shoulders because of the stress of the heat damage. Unfortunately, my hair-ends in the front has been heat damaged and will never revert to its curly state, but with a lot of patience and TLC I will be able to get it back on track. As for heat, it is a no-no on my current hair journey. I am no longer in corporate America and I feel like I have the freedom to really style and maintain my hair the way I want it to be and I choose a totally natural path with no heat.

It is never for me..I BC on1/2/09. I have no plans on straightening because I am fascinated with defining my curl as I gain length. Also, it is much easier to maintain in its natural state.

I didn't vote because I don't have a time frame. At some point in 2007 it was once month to check length but after a few months that got old, my hair only grows so much in a month. Now I only straighten a few times a year. I straightened last week to try and self trim but the S&D wasn't working so I'm going to the Dominicans tomorrow to have them straighten & trim it. :perplexed

How do you ladies trim your natural hair? S&D takes forever, I have too many splits and knots. I heard of twisting it to trim but I want it to look good straight.

I'm curious about this too. I'm in a no heat challenge (I forgot the acronym:blush:), but want to maintain healthy ends and get rid of splits like Jenn.

Good question Jenn. Thanks

Back