Hi Naturals..... can I get a count....

How often are your doing a straight look??

• Weekly... twice a week

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Weekly....once a week

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • Twice a month....every 2 weeks

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • Once a month.....just to check the length, change your look

Votes: 58 25.6%
  • Never

Votes: 132 58.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have been natural for 8 months, and I have straightened once.

I plan to do it once or twice this year. I will say looking forward 2-3 times a year.

I've been natural for 6 years and have only straightened twice....but now that I've learned better practices from this site, I think I'm gonna do it about every 8 weeks.

I was in a hurry when I resonded before so did give my reasons...

...Also remembered that I stopped straightening about a year before my big chop, too, so brings it to two straightenings in about 7 years and 5 months....

Anyway, was always really against straightening (for myself) for the reason someone mentioned about if my hair was meant to be straight, it'd grow that way. I do feel our love of straight hair is at least partly influenced by beauty standards that devalue black women's natural characteristics (tho I know thas probably controversial). I'm also all natural in almost all aspects of my life, so that is just part of me.

That said....before I found this site I'd started to really want straight hair every now and then for cosmetic reasons but held back because my beliefs about being natural, the beauty industry, and fear of damaging my hair.

Now that I've found LHCF, I feel you can straighten infrequently and carefully with minimal damage (plus I've nursed strong hair) and I guess I'm starting to see our ability to go from curly to straight and back as just part of our freedom and the variety of our beauty. We got it like that!

I'm taking out my micros this week and looking forward to reuniting with my curlies!

For me it is all about versatility. I straighten my hair whenever the mood strikes which could be a couple of times a month or not for several months. I am not tied to being natural or relaxed, don't really have a preference for either. I simply do what is easiest for me at the time in my life. Having my hair natural gives me more options than being relaxed bone straight so I probably won't ever go back to that, but I am flirting with texlaxing again because I have found that as my hair grows, it is more difficult to maintain. I like having the option to wear my hair in many different ways but not having to spend too much time doing it or worrying about it.

I chose never...but who knows? Maybe I will one day. I've been natural since August 2004. My hair is very fine, very coily, cottony and densely packed. It is so fragile. I'm afraid to cause damage if I use a flat iron or do a hard press. I love my hair too much to chance it. I rollerset from time to time, but my hair never gets fully straight and it reverts easily.

The last time I flatironed my hair was September 2007. I haven't done it since then and I don't plan on doing it again. :nono: I chose *never*

I straighten it when I feel like it so far, 2 times last year. I like knowing that I can wear it straight when I want to.

Last edited:
I'm curious about this too. I'm in a no heat challenge (I forgot the acronym:blush:), but want to maintain healthy ends and get rid of splits like Jenn.

Good question Jenn. Thanks

You can trim with your hair in small-medium twists. It's easier than you would think. I've done it twice with no problems. I could feel where the ends were extra-crispy and where I needed to cut. You can use a ruler to help you maintain it evenly, but I just do it on "feel". I guess if you plan on primarily wearing it straightened, you may want to do it while straight. But if your primarily styles will be nappy-textured, there's no reason to straighten your hair to trim.

I'm in the process of stretching my hair and I'm just thinking of the possibilities at the moment.....How possible is it to have both natural coils, kinks and curls and then being able to straighten. What's percentage of you ladies keep your hair natural all the time or how many of you go back and forth.

I would like to know how often are you guys straightening your natural hair?

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In a few months I will straighten every other month.

I straighten about every-other-month. In the beginning it was once a month. I've had no issues with the kinks/coils returning.

Its been almost 10 months since any direct heat is has touched my hair. i know i will probably straighten often when i feel like it, but that's just not where i am right now.

i didnt click any because it varys too much with me.
Im usuaully weaved up
so since ive been natural (bc 4/8/08) ive been str8 maybe 6x. in almost a year.

I have not straightened my hair in one year. I have fine textured hair that does not respond well to heat and it's too much work for a press that won't hold up to the humidity.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I posted never, but that's not entirely true. I straighten maybe 2-3 times a year, just because. I'll be straightening this weekend for a trim, and in August for my DBF's birthday, and probably not for the rest of the year. Those will be the only times this year, and I did it twice last year.

Usually the only time I do straighten it is at the time I go to the salon to get my hair trimmed...so the last time was February and before that November. I've just gotten really comfortable with my hair in it's natural state and not using direct heat often. Everyonce in a while is ok with me for change...but I definitley opt for my natural curls.

Usually the only time I do straighten it is at the time I go to the salon to get my hair trimmed...so the last time was February and before that November. I've just gotten really comfortable with my hair in it's natural state and not using direct heat often. Everyonce in a while is ok with me for change...but I definitley opt for my natural curls.

:yep:Thanks!!! I lovE!!! The siggy!!! Love it!!!

I have not straightened my hair in one year. I have fine textured hair that does not respond well to heat and it's too much work for a press that won't hold up to the humidity.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I posted never, but that's not entirely true. I straighten maybe 2-3 times a year, just because. I'll be straightening this weekend for a trim, and in August for my DBF's birthday, and probably not for the rest of the year. Those will be the only times this year, and I did it twice last year.

Thanks Gals!!! I would imagine that you would preserve your curls and not apply heat to your heads!!! Great Job!:yep::yep:

Back