Hey Lhcf Members, What Do You Think Of This?

Blue_Berry

Someone told me not to purchase salon brands from Amazon, Drugstores, and places like Walmart because it might not be authentic. They told me the only stores to get them from is on their website, a salon, and places like JCPenny Salon or Ulta (because they have a salon inside the store).

They show me this video as well:

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=karin hairstylist recommendation&sm=3

What do you guys think about it?

I don't order stuff from Amazon like that

Amazon is not one retailer and the quality control of knowing what you order is the real thing can never be determined

I would be shocked that a major drugstore retailer is hawking fake products
To much to lose if someone is harmed by their products

But Amazon I think I've ordered some rain boots and a few umbrellas.., I actually can't believe ppl trust shopping on Amazon

I don't order stuff from Amazon like that

Amazon is not one retailer and the quality control of knowing what you order is the real thing can never be determined

But Amazon I think I've ordered some rain boots and a few umbrellas.., I actually can't believe ppl trust shopping on Amazon

Yeah, I heard they either dilute the products in the Drugstores or they are old expired products. I am not saying all drugstore hair products are like this, but from what I heard it is majority of the salon professional brands.

You know, this is my take on that also. A lot of these companies say they are only guaranteed if you buy through them or a salon, that diversion needs to be reported and that it's "harmful to their business". They say it's because anywhere else except them/approved salons might be fake... but you can't tell me these people don't know CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart and the like are selling their products.

I've heard this before. But like @CodeRed says, it's not like salon brands don't know that national chains aren't selling their products and how would Walmart etc. have gotten that much inventory in the first place if not from the manufacturer? And if the products are fake why would any national chain take that kind of risk? Not a lawyer but it seems like a huge liability issue.

I think if "anything" perhaps the ingredients could be listed in a different order between those sold at a Salon and those sold at Drugstore chains.

I agree with the others. Chains would not take that risk.

It would be worth someone who purchases Salon Brands and Salon Brands at Drugstore chains to do a comparison.

I agree with this. A co-worker purchased some DevaCurl products for me from a 'retailer' in NY. A couple items smelled like the real deal, but for the others the smell was horrible, like a lotion of some sort. I contacted DevaCurl asking if they changed the formula recently and they were like 'No' and suggested I only buy from salons or their website. Oh, and the 'retailer' wouldn't give a refund or store credit. I just trashed them and took the loss.

I'm a licensed cosmetologist and I only purchase professional products from Cosmoprof. Once I learned about diversion it changed my mindset of many retailers.

I'm creating a line and hopefully it will become a "known" brand and I already have written off the big box stores and others from selling my products. It's too much of a risk.

The Joico, Bed Head, and Chi products that I buy from Marshall's are the exact same texture, consistency, and smell as the ones from Ulta. Back when Fotki was free, I posted pics of some Chi products I bought from both and they were exactly the same except for the batch code.

The only thing I'm worried about are natural based products. I've seen some very near expiration Shea Moisture products at some places.

Back when it was hard to find salon brands, I would follow the advisement. Nowadays I often wonder what you really are getting.

Let me tell you something real quick:
There is no way Kerastase, Chi, Paul Mitchell, Biolage, Sebastian, Pureology and other brands don't know their entire product line is sold in many Duane Reade, Walgreens and BSS pretty much everywhere.

Ain't nann way!

Unless you don't know who your distributing to it to or your stuff is deep in the black market.

Based on these facts alone, I believe the products are compromised on both ends.

These companies are well aware, until they crack down on rogue distributers it's going to continue. Only through a distributor could BSS, Drugstores and sellers on Amazon get the type of volumes they sell. I buy from Amazon a lot but typically contact the original maker to verify batch codes to make sure it's the real thing.

I buy a lot of stuff from amazon and I never have problems. I even bought my Joico MR Balm from there when the store was out and it was fine. I will say though that sometimes I will get a weird feeling and decide not to purchase. I saw some Paul Mitchell products on there that were good prices but the bottles looked different and the seller had all these high end products where there was only 1 item left. I've always only bought products from amazon that are shipped and sold by amazon not any other seller because I don't know what it is they are selling. Even for meaningless things like a fabric shaver. Lol

This is the reason I never buy from Walmarts website. Too many bogus sellers.

As far as retailers, don't some places say they are official retailers for some brands? I know a salon that sells Paul Mitchell products and I rarely see many of them in Duane Reade and the like so if they did start popping up in bulk I would assume they made a deal with the company not that they were black market products. But you never know I guess.

There is a counterfeit for almost everything (perfume, handbags, sneakers, prescription drugs). I haven't bought any hair products from Amazon (at least not that I recall) but if the return policy is good, I would not pass up a good deal.

Honestly, now thinking about it, there was one time I liked a product a lot than remember not wanting to purchase it again. I brought the Dermorganics sampler kit at Ulta. I loved the products especially the masque. Later, I saw the Dermorganics Masque in liter size when I went shopping at TJMaxx. The price for the product was a great deal ($16.99 for 33oz), so I had to purchase it. I thought it was me or my hair didn't like the product anymore, but I wasn't receiving similar results or good results like I did the first time. I did notice a little bit the consistency was different. I ended up giving the bottle away. I might try the product again, but might go back to Ulta or see which salon carries it.

I've purchased salon hair products from Marshalls and TJMaxx that were watered down. I've also purchased hair products from Amazon that were fake, and I had to return them. I've seen fake Macadamia Hair mask at Walgreens and CVS. I've learned my lesson. I only purchase from an authorized retailer or a salon.

I buy a lot of stuff from amazon and I never have problems. I even bought my Joico MR Balm from there when the store was out and it was fine. I will say though that sometimes I will get a weird feeling and decide not to purchase. I saw some Paul Mitchell products on there that were good prices but the bottles looked different and the seller had all these high end products where there was only 1 item left. I've always only bought products from amazon that are shipped and sold by amazon not any other seller because I don't know what it is they are selling. Even for meaningless things like a fabric shaver. Lol

This is the reason I never buy from Walmarts website. Too many bogus sellers.

As far as retailers, don't some places say they are official retailers for some brands? I know a salon that sells Paul Mitchell products and I rarely see many of them in Duane Reade and the like so if they did start popping up in bulk I would assume they made a deal with the company not that they were black market products. But you never know I guess.

Majority up to 70% of Amazon sellers are third party sellers. A lot of them will say they are retailers, but majority of the retailer's not selling the real items. Some people can sell fake counterfeit items from other countries and get away with it. I read these and it was interesting:
https://www.amazon.com/Fake-items-on-Amazon/forum/Fx2S2JX41LKL663/Tx1FQS00JNGQS7K/1?asin=B000TGB4UU

https://www.amazon.com/Fake-items-on-Amazon/forum/Fx2S2JX41LKL663/Tx1FQS00JNGQS7K/1?asin=B000TGB4UU

It is good you haven't had a bad experience, but me knowing what I know now I would rather purchased from the site, a local salon, or a distributor the site says that carries the items near by.

This confirms what I've thought all along. I only buy salon products from certified retailers.

Back