Ulta experience today Rant!!!!

I'm not even saying that all ulta's are like this, but this experience is all I needed to never go into another ulta store, I just don't have time for ignorant people.

And black women do spend more money on our hair more than any other race of people, so we should really get respect wherever we go, I guess these people think that whites are the ones that contribute to the hair industry FOOLS!!!!

I experience the same thing at the jcpenney salon in Jersey City, when I come in they look like "oh no" lol!!! so I don't buy anything from them either, at least at the end of the day we always have the internet to buy our products.

Sis,
I live in NJ also, by way of Harlem, and like you I hate going to NYC for products. But you can find them here. Go to the hood. I go to a BSS in Orange on Main street. I dont know the name or the cross street, but it's next to Joe's Market. Google Joes Market - Orange, NJ. Get the address and the BSS is two doors down.
Girl, you know Edgewater is rich, white and impolite. Sorry this happened to you.

I'm from east orange... not sure if it's still around but MiMi's on main st in orange used to be my spot.

I live in South Jersey and I never had a problem at the Ulta in Marlton. I'm there a lot though. I never asked about hair stuff, but they helped me out with make-up.

Question for those of you all that have complaints....

Have you considered calling or writing Corporate Headquarters about your experience at their stores? If you decide to go back, make sure you have the names of the associate that gave you the hard time as well. I would suggest that you mention that you spend lots of money on beauty products, you're unsatisfied with your "shopping experience", you won't become a repeat customer, you'll spread the world about this, etc. Hell, write a letter to your local newspaper or even TV station about this.

I believe that if they receive enough customer complaints, they'll do something about it.

Just my two cents...

Girl...I go to the same Ulta in Edgewater,NJ and some of the girls can be a bit rude; I don't get followed or anything, but they dont even greet me when i walk in the door or ask if i need any help...But, it's not just the white ones, their was a black woman working there with this F'd up weave workin in the salon. Since none of the W-women were helping me, I went to her thinking that maybe I could get some type of assistance. She was worst than the other B@#$%s and at first was ignoring me when I was one of the only ones there and when she finally talked, she had the worst attitude and made it seem as if i was wasting her time. Long story short, I had to curse her a$$ out and got on that nasty a$$ weave she was wearing,too. I still go there too and everone wants to be nice now except for her, obviously.

I have never had a bad experience at Ulta. Ive gone in at 8:54 with a head wrap on and gotten excellent service. Sorry you had a bad experience.

I live in the outskirts of Chicago in Indiana and I've never had a problem in the Ulta's that I frequent in Illinois or Indiana. They may not come up and offer much assistance but I've never been followed. They are also polite and courteous in all interactions. Granted I don't ask for much help at all when I go shopping anywhere.

Now I've had that kind of treatment in other places so I know it happens! I just stop patronizing the ones that give me any trouble.

I'd stay away also as there seems to be a nationwide apparently organized Ulta conspiracy. Ulta employees around the country have organized and have declared war on Black Women. Natural, Relaxed, short hair, long hair, dark, light and all shades in between. Part of the plan is to follow you around, offer help and advice and the occasional free sample, all in an effort to prevent sales and repeat business. Ahhh… diabolical yet sheer genius.:rolleyes:

I love it. Got the joke. Thanks for presenting this situation with humor and irony.

I had to learn the hard way. I think Sally's Beauty Supply is the only online retailer that can actually tell you what locations you can purchase select products from (ie. Curlformers). Sephora does not, neither does Ulta. So, it is best to call their 1-800/1-877 #'s to find out what stores carry it. Don't call store to store, this won't help either.

Sephora U.S. A. and Ulta are young companies, so on a "store level", it is very possible for them to not have certain technology.

Sorry this happened OP.

I go to Ulta, and I've got stares, attitude ect.....but I also applied there once and got hired. :ohwell: (didnt take the job though)

I think one problem sometimes is the atmosphere. Some of the workers and customers IMO think the store is really high-end so they have a uppity attitude that is not friendly and unwelcoming.

And then when you add in the fact that most of the time there's nothing but women in the store....all just looking and walking around....hardly talking to each other (because you know that's how it is in there LOL, few women are walking around smiling and making random convo even the workers)

Then you have the customers and workers all having different opinions on whats the best and different knowlege....

Equals unpleasent experience to me LOL, I just go in there now and come out. I was in there once and 2 girls told me there was no Iman and I knew there was, had to find it myself (eta took me like 20min too smh). I just look around, find my own stuff and leave expecting nothing more.

Last edited:
The most I have gotten in Ulta is a 'hurry up, we are closing' kind of rushing, which I understand. I am really sorry anything like this would happen to anyone here...I know this happened to me in a MAC store, but I think it is more because I do not look like I am about to drop lots of money!

If this experience really bothers you - send an email to the corporate office. Someone needs to stress the importance of "good customer service" to the employees at these stores. They may want to know about your experience especially if they are losing yet another customer. Otherwise you may want to call the store manager and address this.

Perhaps this will make you feel a little better.

Pretty soon 50% of the people on this board will stop going to this store. Word gets around fast!!

I like Ulta...:ohwell:I've gone to different ones over the years and never had a problem or even a hint of attitude. I've showed up early and had them unlock the door, let me in and lock it back. This also happened at closing time. I've shown up pulled on the door realized it was locked and was about to walk away, when they unlocked it and let me in, locking it again after I was in. I figured they must be on comission or something and every customer counts or maybe I look like a PJ and they see $$$ which is fine with me.

Some times the vibe you send out, is the vibe you get back. YMMV

I've never had a problem, either. They had a sale last year for friends and family where you could come in and shop before the store opened and get something like 40% off your entire order. One of their employees had given me a card, so I went on in and shopped and it was so peaceful. Nobody followed me and they were all so helpful.

Sorry you felt mistreated, OP, but I agree with the poster who said it seems like it went both ways.:ohwell:

Actually after seeing this thread I went into Ulta in Merrillville, IN specifically today to see what happened. No one greeted me but the store was a little busy. No one came up to me and asked if I needed any help and no one followed me around- I was carrying a big purse too. In fact I had to ask a salesperson on the way out about a specific product- she was very courteous but didn't know what she was talking about: "Peter Thomas Roth makes excellent products. I see them in a lot of magazines and a lot of celebrities like to use these products." I symbolically patted her on the head as I thanked her. They have a couple of black women working in the store so maybe it depends on location.

I love my Ulta. When I come through the door, the cashiers (or whoever is at the entrance of the store) always stops to say hello or welcome. They do this for everyone that comes through the door and a majority of them or Caucasian.

I've called the store to ask about a particular product and they will put me on hold to go see if it's on the shelves, and how many. I'm anal about this because I want reps to go to the product and put their hands on it! Many times I'll call stores before driving there to ask if they have it, they say yes and I get all the way over there and they carry it but don't have it in stock. :wallbash:

Just last week I was in the back of the store looking at hair dryers. The salon is back there so I asked a stylist for help. She was busy so she called someone from the front. They gladly came back and helped me look through different dryers as I explained to them what features I was looking for (I'm transitioning). When I found it, I was so excited and she was just as happy for me. She asked me was I ready to pay and walked with me to the front of the store and told me things that were on sale, etc. I didn't mind the sales pitch.

I get this experience every time I go to my local Ulta.

Wow! So Ulta is the same everywhere. Rude!!! I live in Ohio and have always been treated like I don't belong there. When I am paid enough attn to get some assistance I am treated like the dumbest *ss alive.

The Ulta I used to go to in Orlando, is nothing like y'all just described. Maybe they are sadder in the northeast?:lachen:

I just wanted to say that my Sabino experience at Ulta was an isolated one. They are usually very pleasant.

Back