Ulta experience today Rant!!!!

I like Ulta...:ohwell:I've gone to different ones over the years and never had a problem or even a hint of attitude. I've showed up early and had them unlock the door, let me in and lock it back. This also happened at closing time. I've shown up pulled on the door realized it was locked and was about to walk away, when they unlocked it and let me in, locking it again after I was in. I figured they must be on comission or something and every customer counts or maybe I look like a PJ and they see $$$ which is fine with me.

Some times the vibe you send out, is the vibe you get back. YMMV

I have never been to ULTA but there is a myth out there that if you are a natural you can't have relaxer straight hair via flat-iron, pressing comb, etc.

I am a natural and I got a professional flat iron and a few days later I went to Aveda and the black employee assumes I have a relaxer even though I corrected her about three times. After the third time, i dropped it because it didn't compute. There was no need to get mad because my hair did look like it was freshly relaxed.

The mistake that the white employee made could have been made by a black employee. Instead of viewing the employee assumes you have a relaxer as an insult, view it as a compliment. If people have attitudes, don't sink to their level. You have to be better than that.

I'm just working the tax season now, so I guess once that ends next month i'll order some things. Yeah it's like your salon is............. empty!!! since you know so much shouldn't the salon area be packed on a Friday evening?

You know what's funny is....they are the ones working....duh and you're the one shopping. The ones here aren't too bad, but I do feel you on what happened to you. I have a friend who calls them "minimun wage flunkies" Can you have products shipped to your job?

why why why do some people have such good memories?

:lachen: that is just wrong about the car lol!!!!

I was trying to walk away but she kept going on dang motor mouth, I wasn't getting that mad but I was a bit annoyed that she was talking fast like a typewriter (oldschool)

You should have tried to run them over with your car :giggle:

Just teasing. I'm surprised that you stayed talking to them idiots for that long.

I like Ulta...:ohwell:I've gone to different ones over the years and never had a problem or even a hint of attitude. I've showed up early and had them unlock the door, let me in and lock it back. This also happened at closing time. I've shown up pulled on the door realized it was locked and was about to walk away, when they unlocked it and let me in, locking it again after I was in. I figured they must be on comission or something and every customer counts or maybe I look like a PJ and they see $$$ which is fine with me.

Some times the vibe you send out, is the vibe you get back. YMMV

Or maybe not:ohwell: I doubt ALL these ladies walked in the store with a terrible attitude. I can't stand when people are dismissive of other people's experiences just because they have been through the same thing. I have not gotten the best shopping experience at Ulta and I know I did not walk in with a stank attitude or was rude. But, you know us black women...we always are waiting for a good fight.:rolleyes:

Or maybe not:ohwell: I doubt ALL these ladies walked in the store with a terrible attitude. I can't stand when people are dismissive of other people's experiences just because they have been through the same thing. I have not gotten the best shopping experience at Ulta and I know I did not walk in with a stank attitude or was rude. But, you know us black women...we always are waiting for a good fight.:rolleyes:

ITA I am a very objective person and reading these ladies comments along with my own non-impressive experience at Ulta leads me to believe they could overall use some help with customer service. It seems they opened too many stores across the country at one time anyway. I would be surprised if they last...

In contrast I have never been to a Sephora or Nordstrom hair care section where someone was not very knowledgable, accomodating and helpful...for my natural hair care and skin needs:grin:

That's so sad, y'all.:sad:

I never have any problems in the Ulta near my house. The associates are a little obsessed about customers trying the latest perfume, but other than that, they seem cool.

As bad as the economy is, you would think that customer service would be golden.

Sis,
I live in NJ also, by way of Harlem, and like you I hate going to NYC for products. But you can find them here. Go to the hood. I go to a BSS in Orange on Main street. I dont know the name or the cross street, but it's next to Joe's Market. Google Joes Market - Orange, NJ. Get the address and the BSS is two doors down.
Girl, you know Edgewater is rich, white and impolite. Sorry this happened to you.

On my first trip to Ulta, I overheard one of the workers tell a lady to brush her hair real good with a round brush in the shower. :nono:

After the worker left, I went over to her and begged her not to brush her wet hair EVER. She was an older clear lady and her friend didn't seem too happy tht I was helping her. I told her to get a Jilbere shower comb and detangle while conditioner was in her hair in the shower. About five minutes later, the clear lady came up to me with two combs and asked which one should she get. I pointed to the one with no seams, she went to the line and bought it. Needless to say, I got my bogo free products and I found them without asking for help and have never asked for help since.

My husband won't even go in with me anymore. He hates being stared at and will ghetto snap on people. He doesn't want to be tempted into a disorderly conduct ticket.:lachen:

Sometimes, that's the kind of people you need to go with you in these stores. I don't ask the sales associates for help when I go in the stores for hair products b/c I pretty much know what I want & I don't want to deal with nasty attitudes.

I am so sorry this happened to you. If you decide to go to sabinohair.com to purchase try coupon code LONGHAIR37286

I was able to save 30% when I ordered mine.

Oh wow sorry that happened to you, i've never experienced that kind of treatment in Ulta and I walk up in there with my natural hair all over the place, lol. I definately wouldnt support such behavior if I received that kind of treatment.

I'm sorry this happened :nono:. I personally never had a bad Ulta experience, and mine is in an all YT neighborhood. I always go back. :look:

Wow, I can't believe so many of you have had bad experiences at Ulta! The company must not have gotten the memo about black women buying way more in hair products than our percentage of the population would suggest. I actually went to Ulta (in NY) for the first time last Sunday. I didn't get dirty looks, just weird ones because I was in there with my son, and he kept making a fuss about wanting to buy a "pillow brush." The only other man there was the security guard, who was also black. I looked for, but didn't see the Sabino Moisture Block. I didn't ask though, half of the store was already empty anyway. The only thing I found to buy was the Redken Heat Glide.

I dont even know if I have an Ulta store in my area (I thought Ulta was only an online store) but these reported experiences sure are making me not want to go in there ever.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, but I've been to the Ulta here in Rockville, MD as well as the one in Delaware (Concord Pike/202) and I've never had a bad experience. They ask me if I need help, assist me in finding products and sometimes help too much, lol. There's this one guy who loves to talk makeup and they'll hold products for me if a shipment hasn't come in yet. I had such a good time talking with one of the sales associates that we exchanged info and became friends.

I think it may be your location. I lived in Jersey for years and I never want to go back :nono:.

Its so funny that you posted about your experience at Ulta, looking for Sabino Moisture Block no less.

I went to an Ulta here in Chicago last week looking for some SMB. I looked it up online before going just to be certain that it was sold in Ulta stores. The site mentioned that it wasn't sold online but it was available in stores. So off I went to Ulta.

When I get there I try to find it for myself but I didn't see it so I asked one of the sales assistants. She gave me the dumbest look. She asked me to repeat and spell it a few times. She asked about 3 other employees and none of them knew about it either.

She then asked one of the managers and she said that she'd never heard of such a product and that Ulta doesn't carry it. I told her that I looked it up, thats why I came. She then mentioned that perhaps its only available online. I said, No the site clearly stated that it was not available online but in stores.

Anywho, I asked if they could check their inventory list. I was thinking that most stores have a computerized inventory list. I wanted to see if it was in the store and they just didn't know about it or if another store had it. To my surprise, they don't have a computerized inventory list. At least thats what they told me. How is that possible. And am I just supposed to go to random Ulta's until I find the product.

I was so frustrated with Ulta that day.

Sorry so long.

I go to Ulta in Allen Park Michigan on the regular. I was in there just last week looking for bare minerals and had the absolute best salesperson in the world. She searched high and low for the product I needed. She went in the back looking for it and when she couldn't find it she offered to give me some of the tester because I was completely out. Then she decided to look where it shouldn't be and found the last one in the store for me. That's what I call customer service!

At the Ulta I go to some sales reps follow "us" around and some are friendly and helpful. I consider the source regarding the ignorant acting ones and don't allow them to ruin my shopping experience. I do undertand how those of you who've had bad experiences there feel though; The Ulta I go to is in an "uppity" area where the "what are you doing shopping here" type attitudes are to be expected from many.

As I said YMMV. Hardly dissmissive.

I dont even know if I have an Ulta store in my area (I thought Ulta was only an online store) but these reported experiences sure are making me not want to go in there ever.

I'd stay away also as there seems to be a nationwide apparently organized Ulta conspiracy. Ulta employees around the country have organized and have declared war on Black Women. Natural, Relaxed, short hair, long hair, dark, light and all shades in between. Part of the plan is to follow you around, offer help and advice and the occasional free sample, all in an effort to prevent sales and repeat business. Ahhh… diabolical yet sheer genius.:rolleyes:

I have been to four Ultas: 2 in Birmingham-Hwy 280 and Patton Creek, 1 in Atlanta-past Perimeter, and 1 in San Bruno, CA. I have had great experiences in all of them except one. One woman had a snarky attitude, but I placed the blame on her only since everyone else was friendly.

You are totally invisible at the Ulta in Annapolis, MD. They give you "why is this black woman shopping here" look. I asked about Aubrey Organics products and they asked if it was an ethnic brand! They also follow you around a the store, but won't ask to assist. I called the store and asked about a product.....and again they acted liked I was inquiring about atmospheric gases on Saturn or something. I've decided not to grace them with my discretionary funds!

She caught me in nice mode, I was tired after work my eyes were hurting and all I wanted was the dang sabino, she caught me off guard,

she just kept talking and talking and talking I couldn't get a word in, and I was in a nice area so I didn't want to step out of character. I know I know I don't know why I didn't flip out she caught me on a good day, she wasn't nastily yapping but she thought she knew everything because she was a "stylist" for an empty salon.

Longhairlover, I am really surprised that you of all people allowed someone to talk all over with you without at least giving her the hand and setting her straight.

I didn't start off with a chip actually, I shop in that area so I didn't even expect to act that way in the store, it started when I asked the vampire looking cashiers if they had Sabino and then from there they were negative and their attitudes.

I grew up in nyc where I went to mixed schools and have worked around all sorts of people. But I have to remember i'm not in nyc and in some places they don't even see a brown face. But they were nasty my husband is a very nice person and he saw it.

I was nice when I asked for Sabino, i'm never rude to people but I do experience alot of shade out in nj, my family members have experienced it too so it's not just me.

Maybe I'm missing something. I'm sorry you had a bad experience there (I go to Ulta too, never had any problems), but frankly, from how you presented your experience, the negativity went both ways. Although I can't speak for your experience specifically, I think we as a people shouldn't start off with a chip. Just chalk it up to ignorance on their part. Otherwise, we walk right into those Angry Black Women stereotypes that none of us thinks is a fair representation of us.

I bought 2 headbands but I will never purchase from them again, I'll just continue to go to nyc for my stuff, i'm sure maybe some of their stores don't have people like that working there, but of course I was unfortunate. And I was sooo happy because I was like "i'm getting my sabino" lol!!!! The store was huuuge too but they had more drugstore hair products than professional.

Wow I live in the whitest place in the country and I have never had anyone follow me or be rude to me at Ulta. In fact, I enjoy going in there. I don't need their help really...that's what LHCF is for.

My opinion....Keep your head up and go in there if you need to. Enjoy yourself and expect a good experience. Don't let a bad experience ruin it all for you. This hair stuff is way too much fun for that!

omg lol!!! this is what the cashiers first did to me, I had to spell it. and then they were like well maybe not all the stores carry it, the stylist was making it seem as if I was halucinating about Sabino, shoot she started to make me think maybe it's in my mind that Sabino exists.
ulta is a hot mess!!!! never again will I step foot in another one, even if there is a nice store out there somewhere.

But like somone else mentioned i've never had any issues with sephora (well not nastiness but the workers walk away when they see anyone walk in lol!) and nordstrom and neiman people are always helpful.

Its so funny that you posted about your experience at Ulta, looking for Sabino Moisture Block no less.

I went to an Ulta here in Chicago last week looking for some SMB. I looked it up online before going just to be certain that it was sold in Ulta stores. The site mentioned that it wasn't sold online but it was available in stores. So off I went to Ulta.

When I get there I try to find it for myself but I didn't see it so I asked one of the sales assistants. She gave me the dumbest look. She asked me to repeat and spell it a few times. She asked about 3 other employees and none of them knew about it either.

She then asked one of the managers and she said that she'd never heard of such a product and that Ulta doesn't carry it. I told her that I looked it up, thats why I came. She then mentioned that perhaps its only available online. I said, No the site clearly stated that it was not available online but in stores.

Anywho, I asked if they could check their inventory list. I was thinking that most stores have a computerized inventory list. I wanted to see if it was in the store and they just didn't know about it or if another store had it. To my surprise, they don't have a computerized inventory list. At least thats what they told me. How is that possible. And am I just supposed to go to random Ulta's until I find the product.

I was so frustrated with Ulta that day.

Sorry so long.

The neighborhood where my ulta is in it uppity too but I have shopped over there many times in other stores with no problems.....well the banana republic staff is kind of the same way but I don't even talk to them.

Back