Henna/Indigo update

~*Tigget*~

Hey Ladies,

All those who use Henna/Indigo, how often do you reapply color? I used Henna/Indigo for the first time July 19, and my color is starting to fade. Last night I took pics and I could see the Indigo is fading:blush: I'm not sure if I have to reapply the Henna first, or if I can just skip that step and reapply Indigo to get the 'shiny black'? Does anyone know?

Although I kinda like the reddish brown tint to my hair I prefer the black black.

Here is my pic...excuse the ends, I am wearing my hair in a protective bun all day til end of Dec. My ends are in need of trimming, but they aren't really as bad as they look.

July 19th applied Henna/Indigo, color oxidized more after a few days...i likey likey

July 30th...self-relaxed w/ Silk Elements

Aug 07 08, hair appears thicker and darker

Aug 28 08...where did my Indigo go??

ETA: Re-colored 08/31/08...my black is back

Another update: I have been using the tea rinses with Ayurvedic powders. To date I am really happy w/ my results. I think the overall health of my hair is what I am most excited about. Thought I would share w/ my LHCF family. Below is my results from 8/31/08 thru 9/15/08

Last edited:
I want to know this also.

i applied Henna/indigo way back in april (?) anyway its most def faded i noticed it about 1 month ago. my hair is very close to black anyway... but its not as "lush" back as it was b4. i am wondering do i have to keep reapplying this?? i was hoping it was something i only had to do once a year or so...its messy

I want to know this also.

i applied Henna/indigo way back in april (?) anyway its most def faded i noticed it about 1 month ago. my hair is very close to black anyway... but its not as "lush" back as it was b4. i am wondering do i have to keep reapplying this?? i was hoping it was something i only had to do once a year or so...its messy

It really wasn't a messy process for me, but I had to be patient that's for sure. I don't mind doing it more than once a year, but I thought it would longer than 1 1/2 mths.

I henna every two months or so. Eventually over time your hair will remain dark. It's a permanent staining system. Like a white tea cup that you drink coffee from everyday. Eventually over time the inside of that cup will have a permanent dark stain.

I henna every two months or so. Eventually over time your hair will remain dark. It's a permanent staining system. Like a white tea cup that you drink coffee from everyday. Eventually over time the inside of that cup will have a permanent dark stain.

I see. thanks. I don't mind doing the process at all, but just hoping it would've lasted longer.:yep:

Henna and indigo "build up" over time, so I'd say it's about time to do another two step on your hair if you want it absolutely black. The more you do it, the less it fades. They say over at www.henneaforhair.com that it takes about 3 full head applications of indigo before the color fully takes. After that, no fading. Since you already have the indigo in, the 2nd time will take very well, the 3rd time is your charm.

IOW, it's time to do it again. Glad it's working out for you, your hair looks marvelous!

To avoid tons of messiness, mix your henna w/ water and conditioner. If you're doing a one stpe, mix your indigio w/ a dab of salt and mix it into your henna. If doing a two step, simply add salt to your indigo (nothing else) and apply it. You don't have to have the indigo extremely runny, it'll work w/ a thicker consistency.

Last edited:
I'm hendigoing tomorrow..and i plan to do an indigo every 2 weeks with lush caca noir to have the henna take more..
i think you just have to keep applying it

That's right. With repeated use over time it will look vibrant longer.

You have to remember that these are natural dyes and all dyes fade. Shampoo or cleanse your hair with color-friendly products to extend the time between refreshes. The more you use it, the better it gets.

Henna and indigo "build up" over time, so I'd say it's about time to do another two step on your hair if you want it absolutely black. The more you do it, the less it fades. They say over at www.henneaforhair.com that it takes about 3 full head applications of indigo before the color fully takes. After that, no fading. Since you already have the indigo in, the 2nd time will take very well, the 3rd time is your charm.

IOW, it's time to do it again. Glad it's working out for you, your hair looks marvelous!

To avoid tons of messiness, mix your henna w/ water and conditioner. If you're doing a one stpe, mix your indigio w/ a dab of salt and mix it into your henna. If doing a two step, simply add salt to your indigo (nothing else) and apply it. You don't have to have the indigo extremely runny, it'll work w/ a thicker consistency.

I'm hendigoing tomorrow..and i plan to do an indigo every 2 weeks with lush caca noir to have the henna take more..
i think you just have to keep applying it

That's right. With repeated use over time it will look vibrant longer.

You have to remember that these are natural dyes and all dyes fade. Shampoo or cleanse your hair with color-friendly products to extend the time between refreshes. The more you use it, the better it gets.

Thank you ladies. I was wanting to do this again, but wasn't sure how soon I could reapply the color. I will re-color tomorrow since I have some left from my 1st order. Then I will have to re-order in a month or two.

I love the black lush color, so as suggested I will do this a few times, and look forward to the color lasting longer. I received so many compliments on my hair w/ the shiny jet black color. Since using Hendigo my hair never appeared dull, always shiny even before I put moisturizers and oil. My hair has benefited a lot since doing the Henna/Indigo w/ the thickness & texture, I'm still amazed *okay i think i just did my 1st informercial*:lachen:Some of the thickness I attribute to eating eggs, but as for the overall look and feel of my hair I am glad I did Hendigo.

Thank you again ladies.:hug3:

After you get your color "set" you can just do glosses w/ a small bit of henna and much more indigo if you want your hair BLACK black. The small bit of henna will just help the indigo hold. LOL...maybe you'll eventually get the elusive and super beautiful BLUE BLACK!

comic-p.jpg
Your hair has grown so much in just 6 weeks! It looks much healthier too. You're a doing a great job.

As everyone says, the indigo color builds up. Don't forget that henna strengthens the hair and even if the color didn't fade it's well worth re-applying the treatment every 4-8 weeks. Keep up the good work. :up:

What if you are covering grey, do you have to reapply the henna befor using the indigo? I have some greys coming out in my front hairline

Thank you...I have never had LONG hair so time will tell if I can. Altho before I didn't practice healthy care so it is the difference in this I'm looking forward to seeing. Yea I am at my DD softball game (& yes on LHCF as usual :lachen: ) & when I get back home I am re-coloring w/ hendigo.....excited

You are right! My hair has shed little to none since I used henna. Its a lot stronger.

Your hair has grown so much in just 6 weeks! It looks much healthier too. You're a doing a great job.

As everyone says, the indigo color builds up. Don't forget that henna strengthens the hair and even if the color didn't fade it's well worth re-applying the treatment every 4-8 weeks. Keep up the good work. :up:

I am still learning about this. So what's the 411 on glossing...more details PLEASE this sounds good

After you get your color "set" you can just do glosses w/ a small bit of henna and much more indigo if you want your hair BLACK black. The small bit of henna will just help the indigo hold. LOL...maybe you'll eventually get the elusive and super beautiful BLUE BLACK!

Tigget75 Glossing is adding your henna and/or indigo in smaller amounts than you normally use to some cheapo conditioner, more conditioner than henna or indigo. It revives the color from whatever fading and/or takes care of your roots as they grow. If you have greys, it might not fully cover them, this technique (in this case, you'd simply mix up your color proportions and do only your roots) but glossing is worth a try for coverage. In any case, it'll be very conditioning for hair and can help keep your color stay nice and vibrant. You can keep your glosses on for as long as you think it'll take to give a nice uniform color 1-4 hrs or even more. Up to you.

If you find a gloss doesn't cover your greys, no problem, you can do your roots afterwards again w/o any probs. I think the glosses can be nice because they are very easy to put together and to get out of your hair....they'll be cheaper too! ;)

With a gloss, you still must dye release your henna as normal.

Last edited:
I just hendigoed..as for today it's a dark dark dark brown-black
it looks awesome..check out the fotki :D and the avatar pic

I henna every 2 weeks/indigo every 2- 4 weeks due to GHM(gray hair maintenance)......I :heart2:henna/indigo.

hair after henna/indigo
8-27-08C.jpg

I just hendigoed..as for today it's a dark dark dark brown-black
it looks awesome..check out the fotki :D and the avatar pic
Your hair is very pretty, I love the shine!!! It looks very natural, to me it gives a better look compared to synthetic dyes.

I am glad I jumped on this bandwagon. My DD who is 11 said she was jealous of the shine:grin: My 12 y.o son actually wants me to dye his hair black w/ the hendigo, but nah not gonna happen. I already dedicate a lot of time to my own head, I can't take on his too:lachen:

I henna every 2 weeks/indigo every 2- 4 weeks due to GHM(gray hair maintenance)......I :heart2:henna/indigo.

So do you get your Henna/Indigo locally, or do you buy in bulk online?

Your hair is gorgeous!!!
hair after henna/indigo
8-27-08C.jpg

Your hair is very pretty, I love the shine!!! It looks very natural, to me it gives a better look compared to synthetic dyes.

I am glad I jumped on this bandwagon. My DD who is 11 said she was jealous of the shine:grin: My 12 y.o son actually wants me to dye his hair black w/ the hendigo, but nah not gonna happen. I already dedicate a lot of time to my own head, I can't take on his too:lachen:

I bought a 5 lb bag of henna from FNWL....there is a LHCF discount :grin:. I have had it over a year...I still have alot left...I use about 1/2c mixed with water. I buy indigo from wherever...need to find a good bulk price....I think the indigo gives my hair a natural black color.

Last edited:
I bought a 5 lb bag of henna from FNWL....there is a LHCF discount :grin:. I have had it over a year...I still have alot left...I use about 1/2c mixed with water. I buy indigo from wherever...need to find a good bulk price....I think the indigo gives me hair a natural black color.

I have only purchased Henna online once, from hennasooq, but have since bought a box from local indian store. But like you I love the results so my next purchase will be in bulk from FNWL:grin:

TY

Okay ladies, I recolored this weekend. Happy to have the shiny black again. Now I am waiting on the color to oxidize over the next week, to really show off the nice color.

I noticed immediately after I was finished my hair was a lot stronger, and it remained soft. I had no problems w/ dryness or hardness. Thanks ladies. Looks like I will continue to build on this to keep the color nice and shiny.

Back