Help!! Strands of hair hanging off my flat iron!!!!

NappyGoddesse

So I read all of the rave reviews on the FHI flat iron on this site, and I went out and purchased the FHI Heat Technique 1 inch when it was on sale at Ulta. My first time using it was this past week, but just to make my bangs a little straighter to match a wig I'm wearing this month. The night before, I applied some Vatika coconut oil and let it dry overnight under a stain headtie. The next morning, I sprayed some heat protectant over it and ran the straightening iron through my bangs.

:blush: I saw strands of hair hanging off the iron when I ran it through!!! This does not seem normal to me! Why did this happen? And am I doing something wrong? I'm scared, now, to use this iron on my whole head - I mean it gets suce reviews on this site, and the sales reps in Ulta said it was the best...better than the CHI.

Help!!

I don't think you should've used oil before you flat ironed. It will fry your hair.

Some moisturizer and heat protectant is all you need. Maybe a little serum too. But that's it.

Okay...I will not put coconut or any oil on next time. THANKS CherryPie!

kblc06...I'm not sure - I just have been trying to maintain health and make sure I am not harming my hair, so I paniced when I saw the hair on the flat iron...didn't think about shed hair. I figure that any shed hair would have come out when I combed?

Maybe it was just hair that was gonna shed anyway. I always have hair hanging off of mine when i flat iron. As long as it's not burnt it was most likely shed hair.

Since she's using the Technique iron, the set temp is 410 F

I also have a technique FHI flat iron and called FHI directly to inquire about the temperature since you cannot adjust it yourself and the rep confirmed that does not get as hot as 400. I think she said the max was 375 and the iron actually adjusted the heat to match the texture of your hair.

Did you comb through your bangs before straightening? When I'm in a rush and just put the iron on it without combing or brushing then I always find a couple of hairs on the iron. They are just hairs that are shedding. If its a massive amount then there is probably a problem.

Outside of the hairs on the iron, how did your bangs turn out? Did you hear a frying noise when you used the flat iron?

Check the plates. I had that problem with two less expensive irons. My hair was getting caught between the plate and the handle or caught were the coating was beginning to come off (You couldn't see the spot until much later.)

the coconut oil isn't bad to ME. I have used it to flat iron (a LIGHT amount) & my hair was / is fine. A lot of ladies use it in MODERATION to flat iron and have said it made it shiny, soft etc. It didn't harm their hair either.

Maybe the iron is clamping your hair and not sliding smoothly over the strands?

Back