Help! My son is marrying my niece

yardyspice

Emily Yoffe: Good afternoon. I look forward to your questions.

Q. Possible Cousin Marriage: Over 20 years ago I had an affair with a married woman who became pregnant with my child. She reconciled with her husband and they raised the boy as their own. I have not had any contact with my biological son, at the husband's request. No one in my family knows I have a secret son. Two weeks ago I found out my niece (my sister's daughter) is engaged, and the groom to be is none other than my biological son! Prudie, I am livid that my son's mother and her husband did not stop this relationship in its early stages. "No, Bobby, you can't date that girl because she's you're biological cousin" is all it would have taken. I contacted the woman and she swore she didn't know our son was marrying my niece since my niece has a different last name. I asked her what she planned to do to stop the wedding and she said she's doing nothing! Our son doesn't know anything and according to her, cousin marriage is harmless! Prudie, how do I bring this up with my niece and her parents? I have never had any contact with my son and I don't think I should approach him about it. He doesn't know his father is not his biological father. I don't want my niece to live in incest because of my past mistake, Please help.

A: This is an opportunity to repeat my frequent reassurance to fathers: Dads, a statistically significant percentage of you actually have sired the children you think are yours. There's no reason to doubt the mother of the groom when she says she didn't realize the bride was related to you, especially if there's been no big family gathering to celebrate the impending nuptials. You think you have a simple, easy way for the mother of the groom to stop the romance by saying, "Bobby, your father is not your father, and your fiancée is your cousin!" But if you think this through, explaining all this will entirely upend his family, and now yours, and at this late date in the wedding planning you can understand that the parents want to stick with their original plan to keep quiet about Bobby's biology. I do think that people are entitled to know their origins and keeping these secrets has the potential for blowing up, as you are now seeing. But as it stands only three people know you're the biological father of the boy, and while it may take all your will power, I think it should remain that way. Cousin marriage is common in much of the world and I think the remaining laws against it in this country should be repealed. Yes, there is an elevated risk of passing on genetic disorders, but it absolute terms it is very small. Two young people are in love and planning to make a life together. I think you should let that be.

Really?

I can see both sides but in the end I think right thing to do would be to tell them. Then let them decide if they want to proceed.

I mean what if they live in a state where its illigal and they later find out and have to deal with the consequences that may come with untangling committments and lifestyles? From insurance to retirement to property etc.

I think not telling an adult person their true origins is weirdly secretive and controlling, though I understand that it can be traumatic for people. Still, this is ultra avoidance. The legal aspect of it does add to the concern.

They should get professional advice on this and may have to tell him through a medium like a therapist. I could only imagine how traumatic this can be for an adult person at this stage in his/her life when marriage is impending, the starting of a new life, family etc.

Why are people mad at the sister? The letter says that no one in the man's family knows about the secret son.

This man is a jerk. I think it's interesting that he's acting so helpless. Yes, this woman can tell her son the truth. Just as easily as he can do with his sister and his niece.

I meant to write mistress but I had typed that the girl could have been the son's sister. The only reason they know about the niece is because he took her home. What if he had hooked up with the man's daughter :barf:

Oh. Yep! That probably happens quite a bit too, given the way people are about having kids these days.

Question for anyone: At what point in the son's life should he have been told that the man raising him is not his father?

Yeah, tell them. I would want to know.

And the genetic disorders are no joke. I know a couple who met in college, fell in love and when they went to meet each other's parents (lived in different states), they found out their respective parents were brother and sister.

They married anyway and had one normal child and a deaf child.

I think the parents are selfish as hell for at least not informing the man about this. SMDH
I agree. I know someone whose in her 40s and still don't know she's adopted. Both of her parents are dead. Her parents asked the family not to tell her she's adopted. And no one has ever told her.
Oh. Yep! That probably happens quite a bit too, given the way people are about having kids these days.

Question for anyone: At what point in the son's life should he have been told that the man raising him is not his father?
I think the son should have been told early (no later than 6 or 7).

I don't think he should ever be told. No good will come of it and I am speaking from experience. As long as the boy's real father (the man raising him) is a good man, leave it alone.

I think they should tell the kid because the secret has gone too far.

I agree. I know someone whose in her 40s and still don't know she's adopted. Both of her parents are dead. Her parents asked the family not to tell her she's adopted. And no one has ever told her.
Gotcha beat! I know someone in his 50s who doesn't know, but everyone else knows. Heck, I know he was adopted, and I wasn't even born when it happened. :nono: His parents are also deceased. It's hard to make a case for telling him now, but still, he had a right to know.

I think the son should have been told early (no later than 6 or 7).
It's probably easier with a "regular" adoption, where neither of the parents is the bio parent. In this case, I think it could potentially be hard to preserve the son's respect for his mother, and it could taint his view of women in general. Yet, I agree that he should be told.

I think children should be told early, around 3-4 when they start understanding the family concept.

In this digital age secrets rarely stay that way. Rather have it in the open. Why keep that secret or subject that child/adult to possibly a traumatic reveal later?

Secrets always come out and the results are devastating. Anyone remember the black woman in Ohio who found out she had been married to her own father for 20 years and no one in the family said anything until after he died? They even had kids together. Put yourself in her shoes. Her mother was alive and could have told her. Family secrets are the worst secrets to keep especially where sex is involved e.g secret kids, molestation, infidelity etc

Secrets always come out and the results are devastating. Anyone remember the black woman in Ohio who found out she had been married to her own father for 20 years and no one in the family said anything until after he died? They even had kids together. Put yourself in her shoes. Her mother was alive and could have told her. Family secrets are the worst secrets to keep especially where sex is involved e.g secret kids, molestation, infidelity etc

Say whaaa??....

The mom doesn't want to tell caude then her little dirt would be revealed. These people should be able to make an informed decision about getting married. It's ridiculous that this grown man doesn't even know his own paternity.

Yeah, tell them. I would want to know.

And the genetic disorders are no joke. I know a couple who met in college, fell in love and when they went to meet each other's parents (lived in different states), they found out their respective parents were brother and sister.

They married anyway and had one normal child and a deaf child.

Dang.......

Back