HEAVY SEALING - RESCUE YOUR DRY HAIR!

I'm not relaxed cocoagirl but i do re-moisturise with a creamy moisturiser and re-seal with Castor Oil or grease but just use alot less than i would use on wet hair.

I don't see why it wouldn't work on relaxed hair but you would probably use less sealant to acheive the same results.

[USER=259402 said:
greenandchic[/USER];14092697]But how do you make it? I'm curious. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachi
belldandy

If you don't want to make your own Unpetroleum jelly or can't make your own, you can find it here for cheap ..... HTH
But how do you make it? I'm curious.

It is super easy to make. A 4:1 ratio; oil to beeswax. So if you have 4 oz of oil melt 1oz of beeswax and mix the two:) That's it:)

I just made my "grease" from jasmine wax I had leftover from previous skincare projects and castor oil.

Melted down the jasmine wax in a double boiler and added three parts castor oil. So far so good!

Any relaxed heads try this? Can grease be used on dry hair to seal and if so should u start by lightly moisturizing with a leave-in etc.?

cocoagirl, I have a mild relaxer / texturizer, and this helped my ends. I think I would use it on wet hair and with a water-based leave-in so you have some moisture to seal IN. Otherwise grease can coat your hair and keep moisture OUT. Hth!

I did this when I was relaxed and texlaxed also. It really helps, esp. after a wash and DC or CW. I'd use a heavy pomade like coconut oil pomade, Blue Magic, or castor oil pomade. Sometimes Indian Hemp. It kept me from trimming due to dryness and splits over a 2+ year period.

For relaxed/texlaxed heads, I would not recommend using just plain grease or waxy pomade on DRY hair. It can make the hair hard, stiff, brittle, attract dirt/lint, and also can end up doing more harm than good like ericajoy said about keeping moisture out.

In the summer months, we want to take advantage of the increased humidity in the air (and most hate it if they want to wear their hair straightened while natural--reversion), but grease can form a barrier on dry hair that keeps your hair from absorbing moisture from the air.

(Grease/wax/petrojell/pomades) can also be harder to remove from dry hair as it coats like an oil slick on a dry asphalt road. I'd spray some moisturizing leave in on 1st, or even just mist on plain water, slather on a dollop of moisturizing conditioner, THEN seal with the grease. That I know from experience yields better results.

Last edited:
Been using Indian Hemp since I was a KID. I use the Allways Super Lite Indian Hemp brand, but I also like what the Softee brand has in it...plus the Softee emulsifies on my fingers easier (softens quickly like an oil, which aids in application). Ladies don't sleep on the Indian Hemp! Some good stuff in there and is always a blessing to my hair and scalp, also on DD's hair and scalp.

Maybe I overdid the grease, but my hair felt dry again the next day - just dry and greasy. Maybe this works best for naturalistas, but I'll probably give it another go.

Another bandwagon for me to jump on...ever since I got my hair dyed, my ends have been crispy and I have had more ssk's than usual...I moisturized and sealed with Castor Oil tonight and am baggying until I wash and DC Thursday...I notice people saying Castor Oil is an alternative....but is it enough to keep the SSKs at bay? Or will I really need the grease? I am a 3c/4a/4b natural...with, I assume, very porous hair because of the color...

Arian. Try the castor oil first, if u'd prefer that. I too have fine, porous hair and for me it works just as good as grease. The only difference is that the oil is 100% natural and i can't just scoop it out with my fingers from a jar.
The castor also does a great job of keeping the ssk's at bay.
You may find sealing on wet moisturised her works the best. If i re-moisturise during the week i will either use a small amount of castor oil or grease or just use my Hempseed oil (ceramides) to seal.
After a few months of doing this heavy sealing, i am now finding that the moisture levels in my hair have risen and it's not permanently parched like it used to be.

I have recently realized that I have to grease my hair or it's literally a desert the next day no matter what I put in it. My hair seems to like petroleum and mineral oil. This could come from my hair being porous but it's been like that since I was little (my mom used to complain about my hair sucking up grease like a hoover:lol:).

Right now just to finish the jar, I use African Pride magical grow maximum strength (smells so damn good:lick:) with virgin coconut oil (smells like pastries which is weird) and almond oil mixed in after applying my leave in on wet hair. My twist outs have been looking horrible (they never looked right anyway!) but my blow out came out good.

OH and I do apply it to my scalp. Bad I know but my scalp will be itching like crazy by day two after washing if I don't. I can go at least a week without the itching appearing if I do the scalp. My hair is very weird...

Thanks @Bublin, I will use the Castor Oil to seal from now on...come to think of it, when I did my twistouts in the past with Castor Oil and QAOHC, my hair was soft (but that was when my hair was Black)..I am going to do a protein treatment this Thursday followed by moisture, just in case there are some "holes" along my hair shaft that need filling...I just noticed that the other day when I did a DC with Alter Ego and a little Pantene, my hair was soft...I put in GVP Paul Mitchell The Conditioner leave in and sealed with grapeseed oil....hair was soft upon application, but didn't remain that way...I was very disappointed to say the least...I started thinking that I just cannot use conditioner in my hair as a leave in, but maybe it was the oil I chose to seal with that's the problem. I will try sealing with castor oil, but if I still cannot reach a happy medium, I am going to stop using creamy leave in's altogether...

Arian
I have read your recent post and i think you are missing a step. Between your Paul Mitchell leave-in and your sealing you need to use an actual moisturiser - something creamy. This should make a difference.

I started using vaseline as a sealant when I started running out of castor oil and it works BEAUTIFULLY. I plan on getting some Indian Hemp grease because if I'm going to use a grease I might as well get something that has other things in it as well for my strands. I really started using vaseline at the beginning of the month and told myself I'll try it until the end of the year. So far I'm hooked!

Bublin, ok, so the leave in is NOT the moisturizer? Because for THE longest time, that is what I thought...that you were supposed to put in a leave in and seal THAT...where have I been? I will try leave in, moisturizer, then seal...but, will this not weigh the hair down? Also, is there a creamy moisturizer you could recommend besides Qhemet AOHC?

@Bublin, ok, so the leave in is NOT the moisturizer? Because for THE longest time, that is what I thought...that you were supposed to put in a leave in and seal THAT...where have I been? I will try leave in, moisturizer, then seal...but, will this not weigh the hair down? Also, is there a creamy moisturizer you could recommend besides Qhemet AOHC?

Geeze girl, where have you been? Only joking hun.

No it won't weigh your hair down - just trial and error with how much of each product YOUR hair needs. The products, for the most part should seep into your hair as it dries. It may feel a little greasier than you are used to though.
Yes, if you are experiencing dryness then you should def use a leave-in, a moisturiser (creamy - can be something of a whipped consistency like Bee Mine Balanced Moisturiser or like your Qhemet or an oil moisturiser), then seal.

Bublin, last question and I am out of this thread, lol (maybe)...what if I used a spray leave in (i actually like braid sprays for this purpose), then a creamy leave in as the moisturizer and then seal that in--is this the same concept or no? If not, I am cool with doing it the other way...just curious...

@Bublin, last question and I am out of this thread, lol (maybe)...what if I used a spray leave in (i actually like braid sprays for this purpose), then a creamy leave in as the moisturizer and then seal that in--is this the same concept or no? If not, I am cool with doing it the other way...just curious...

Please..... asking questions is what this forum is for...you keep tweeking and changing until you nail your products and routine.

I was going to suggest you use a spray leave in as this would minimise the build up of product but I have used Paul Mitchell and it is was fine.

Yes, so after you rinse out your conditioner, squeeze out excess water with a towel or whatever you use, spray on your watery leave in, then follow with your creamy moisturiser and seal.

How often do you guys moisturise and seal?
I get really lazy with it when I bun, but I don't want the broken hairs when I do finally moisturise..

^^^ Out of habit i moisturise every other day but i have noticed that over time this heavy sealing has upped the moisture levels in my hair (or it's just sealing in all the moisture that used to escape from my porous hair).
Personally i used to have to moisturise every day, twice a day before using grease. Now i only concentrate my moisture and sealing on the last few inches of my hair but on wash day i seal the whole length.

I guess I'll try to do it daily (maybe switching with castor oil if it's lighter). How can you tell if it's built up? I usually just avoid moisturising & sealing to avoid buildup, but how can you tell?

Anyone seal w/Shea Butter?
I made a Shea Butter moisturizer by melting the Shea butter & adding castor oil, coconut oil & Hot 6 oils. It has a nice creamy consistency.

"...Forgetting what is behind and looking forward to what is ahead,..."
Philippians 3:13

I guess I'll try to do it daily (maybe switching with castor oil if it's lighter). How can you tell if it's built up? I usually just avoid moisturising & sealing to avoid buildup, but how can you tell?

You'll just know that it's time to wash your hair by the feel of it. Your hair won't accept moisture and will just feel over coated. Probably won't beable to style it as well as the few days after wash-day.

my hair is loving this heavy sealing stuff.

oyin burnt sugar pomade mixed with more castor oil (i say "more" because castor oil is the main ingredient in the pomade)...i really just added the castor to stretch it so it would last longer and i wouldnt have to spend $16 on a new jar (well $10 plus the shipping)...but it really gave it a nice kick for me.

most "liquid" oils also disappear for me in no time. i always thought i wouldnt like "thicker" sealing products, but this is great stuff.

ive only been "sealing" every few days...or every rinse/condition day because i dont really need to inbetween which saves me a lot of manipulation.

thumbs up to this.

OP I have been having a long term problem keeping moisture in my dyed, porous, natural textured hair and have used all kinds of oils and butters to seal it in. I was leery of using any grease knowing how I used it before in pervious years, plus I went back to the natural product methods that worked to grow my hair in the beginning of my BC and have used all kinds of oils the best that worked for me was castor oil and shea butter but I was still getting SSK's and had to reseal twice a day.

My concern was how to get the grease out when I washed because I was using non sulfate shampoos to wash once a week. I have been using Alba's Un-petroleum product after washing on wet hair after putting in Jessiecurl's WDT sealed it with Un-petroleum and it has been a great three weeks for my hair, moisture locked in, hair soft, SSK's reduced. I was also looking for Alba's un-petroleum product in a local store because I really hate ordering stuff online.

I did not find any locally, I checked Target, Walmart, Walgreens, and Rite aid but I did find a product called BabyGanics Non-Petroleum Ointment at 15oz for 16 dollars per jar it beats out the 4 oz for 6 dollars for Alba's Un-petroleum product.

I found BabyGanics at Rite Aid, according to an online search it can also be purchased at Baby's R US, Toys R US and, Vitacost. I will use this starting today after I DC and will let you know how this product works for me. OP Thanks for starting this thread!:grin:

Attachments

• BabyGanics Non-Petroleum.jpg
    BabyGanics Non-Petroleum.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 61
Back