HEAVY SEALING - RESCUE YOUR DRY HAIR!

A few days ago I found Alba Un-Petroleum at my local Whole Foods and decided try the 3.5 oz instead of buying it by the pound in bulk - just to see if I like it first.

Since its so thick, I decided to melt it double boiler style and add grape seed oil and a little bit of burnt coconut fragrance (to spice it up a bit) and it came out really well. I use it to seal my ends at night and its kept my hair super soft - especially on the ends. I cant wait to mix it with other oils. This is a keeper!

OP I have been having a long term problem keeping moisture in my dyed, porous, natural textured hair and have used all kinds of oils and butters to seal it in. I was leery of using any grease knowing how I used it before in pervious years, plus I went back to the natural product methods that worked to grow my hair in the beginning of my BC and have used all kinds of oils the best that worked for me was castor oil and shea butter but I was still getting SSK's and had to reseal twice a day.

My concern was how to get the grease out when I washed because I was using non sulfate shampoos to wash once a week. I have been using Alba's Un-petroleum product after washing on wet hair after putting in Jessiecurl's WDT sealed it with Un-petroleum and it has been a great three weeks for my hair, moisture locked in, hair soft, SSK's reduced. I was also looking for Alba's un-petroleum product in a local store because I really hate ordering stuff online.

I did not find any locally, I checked Target, Walmart, Walgreens, and Rite aid but I did find a product called BabyGanics Non-Petroleum Ointment at 15oz for 16 dollars per jar it beats out the 4 oz for 6 dollars for Alba's Un-petroleum product.

I found BabyGanics at Rite Aid, according to an online search it can also be purchased at Baby's R US, Toys R US and, Vitacost. I will use this starting today after I DC and will let you know how this product works for me. OP Thanks for starting this thread!:grin:

Thanks beanie44; I will check this out today.

I tried to make my own unpetroleum jelly with the wax but I think it was too much wax for my hair. I don't want to do the trial and error with the wax because getting it wrong causes my hair to break.

Going to try out the product suggested by beanie44.

I just trimmed my ends 2 weeks ago so I definitely want to keep them in good condition. :yep:

I bought Softee Indian Hemp this past week and I'm in love (I remember LOVING the smell as a kid and I still love it now). It makes my hair so soft just like the vaseline but...better? I can't describe it. Also, my ssk's have been non existant. I used to have CRAZY amounts of ssk's but with this heavy sealing for the past month I've had little issue.

My puffs are easy to detangle as well. I use vaseline and EcoStyler to coat my hair (basically shingling) and my puffs are so easy to detangle afterwards. No more puffs now, though. It's getting cold and I'm in the twist challange.

@Anaya-Amani I've been sealing with 100% shea butter and it's making my transition very easy. My NG is very soft and I haven't experienced hardly any breakage. I'm about 9 months post.

ETA: I plan on making a mixture one day:look:

@Anaya-Amani I've been sealing with 100% shea butter and it's making my transition very easy. My NG is very soft and I haven't experienced hardly any breakage. I'm about 9 months post.

ETA: I plan on making a mixture one day:look:

I'm 5 months & when I flat iron & wrap daily my hair looks freshly permed.

"...Forgetting what is behind and looking forward to what is ahead,..."
Philippians 3:13

I didn't find the BabyGanics at Rite-Aid. I will check Bed Bath and Beyond this weekend. Otherwise I might purchast it from Amazon. It's more expensive but I don't want to spend a lot of gas looking for it.

Did you try Toys R US/Babys R US..I did notice that is cost more online plus shipping and handling it will be 20 dollars or more, see thats what I was trying to avoid..s/h charges...I hope you find this product locally.

Did you try Toys R US/Babys R US..I did notice that is cost more online plus shipping and handling it will be 20 dollars or more, see thats what I was trying to avoid..s/h charges...I hope you find this product locally.

No I didn't try them. Gas is more than shipping. At $3.50 a gallon + sales tax, they can send it to me :lol: If I was close to one of those stores or just in the neighborhood than I would check it out.

Did you try Toys R US/Babys R US...I noticed when I looked online it was more expensive shoo, by the time they include shipping and handling it will be over 20 dollars..I really hope you find this locally..I noticed that you are from VA so am I, in the VA Beach area...are you in upper or lower VA?

Did you try Toys R US/Babys R US...I noticed when I looked online it was more expensive shoo, by the time they include shipping and handling it will be over 20 dollars..I really hope you find this locally..I noticed that you are from VA so am I, in the VA Beach area...are you in upper or lower VA?

I was down your way beannie44 Saturday. Went to Blues on the Beach. It was very nice. The weather was beautiful and the boardwalk was busy, busy. I am in Central VA about 2 hrs from you.

Any relaxed heads doing this with success?

I cowashed tonight, applied leave-ins and sealed with jbco. Results were meh. I didn't go heavy on the sealing so that might be the issue. Will try it again.

Any relaxed heads doing this with success?

I cowashed tonight, applied leave-ins and sealed with jbco. Results were meh. I didn't go heavy on the sealing so that might be the issue. Will try it again.

I've been heavy sealing and I'm loving it. I use Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk leave-in cream and then seal in sections with Hollywood Beauty Castor oil grease. My hair is NL so I can't bun or anything, but my hair is still soft, shiny, and moisturized once I take my scarf off. I remoisturize about every other day.

Camden-Grey has unpetroleum jelly. They have 1 lb for 7.00. I will probably order from them when I reorder my oils and butters.

For right now I am going to try sealing with straight shea butter or cocoa butter and I may mix in some castor oil or flax seed oil. I tried straight flax seed oil and that was too thin.

Sealing w/my Shea butter, Hot 6 oil, castor oil mixture is a great moisturizer, I no longer need Vitapoint! My hair looks great & when I feel it getting dry I wrap it and rub my Shea butter mixture all around it, brush it in place & put my scarf on, it looks great in the morning!!!

"...Forgetting what is behind and looking forward to what is ahead,..."
Philippians 3:13

Im going to try this, I have been using Softee Coconut lately, but not like this.
I have dry , porous hair, so I will try this, hope it works. I have not had luck lately with moisture ..

Im going to try this, I have been using Softee Coconut lately, but not like this.
I have dry , porous hair, so I will try this, hope it works. I have not had luck lately with moisture ..

KhandiB my hair is exactly the same and heavy sealing does just that, seals in that moisture so it doesn't evaporate away too quickly.

Just an update with me, i have moved away from the grease and exclusively seal with Castor Oil (which i mentioned in my OP that i sometimes used anyway) - it is totally saving my ends and makes detangling soo much easier. I found that the grease was just sitting on my hair for just a bit too long and eventually made my fine strands feel like straw. i think on thicker strands the grease works just fine. I realised that i needed to moisturise little and often and seal each time. The Castor Oil is perfect for me.

I am so feeling this thread! About a year ago I would religiously DC w/ honeysuckle rose every week, seal with Castor Oil and braid and my hair was ON POINT. So soft, smooth and wonderful lol, I need to get back to my castor oil ASAP.
Come to think of it even when I wasn't DC'ing way back in the day I used Indian Hemp grease with the little twigs and pieces of dirt in it lol, and my hair was doing very well then.

My pic ^^^ is a braidout from the glory days...it's looking quite a bit different now - I need some rescue.

Last edited:
I am so feeling this thread! About a year ago I would religiously DC w/ honeysuckle rose every week, seal with Castor Oil and braid and my hair was ON POINT. So soft, smooth and wonderful lol, I need to get back to my castor oil ASAP.
Come to think of it even when I wasn't DC'ing way back in the day I used Indian Hemp grease with the little twigs and pieces of dirt in it lol, and my hair was doing very well then.

My pic ^^^ is a braidout from the glory days...it's looking quite a bit different now - I need some rescue.

Get your Cator Oil out Satya_R and get to heavy sealing!:yep: You want that pretty hair in your avi back.

Alot of ladies here like to seal with the Indian Hemp so give that a try and again as well.

Bublin

I tried Castor Oil, and my hair has been acting nuts since then, I use grease because I use heat . Today I bought Softee Indian Hemp , ingredients are nice and my hair has always done quite well with mineral oil , this also has Lanolin, Nettle, Rosemary, Safflower Oil, so much other stuff.

KhandiB my hair is exactly the same and heavy sealing does just that, seals in that moisture so it doesn't evaporate away too quickly.

Just an update with me, i have moved away from the grease and exclusively seal with Castor Oil (which i mentioned in my OP that i sometimes used anyway) - it is totally saving my ends and makes detangling soo much easier. I found that the grease was just sitting on my hair for just a bit too long and eventually made my fine strands feel like straw. i think on thicker strands the grease works just fine. I realised that i needed to moisturise little and often and seal each time. The Castor Oil is perfect for me.

Bublin Thanks girl I will, I wish I knew how to upload from my phone cause I could show you all the drastic difference...see how bad I needed it lol you might just Fedex that Castor Oil right over :lol:

Also, I just remembered that I while I was using the Castor oil after some pretty bad heat damage it stopped working well for me - and my hair was still desert dry after hours of conditioning and sealing. Do you ladies think that since I've been regularly using henna, my cuticle is smoother/has the protein it needs etc., I'll get the results I once did? Or do you all seem to just notice that with Castor Oil as well?

Last edited:
I am just getting into the grease thing but I think I am going to like it. I just need to find out what method and products are going to give me the definition I am looking for. My first go at it was with Royal Crown on dry hair for a twist out. It turned out ok but I want a little more definition. I recently figured out that if I want to define my curls, I need to do it on dry hair instead of wet hair because it will just dry to a cottony puff with basically no curls. The next experiment might be on slightly damp hair to see what the result will be and so on. I am not really feeling the smell of Royal Crown and have some Blue Magic SuperGro that I might try next.

@Bublin

I tried Castor Oil, and my hair has been acting nuts since then, I use grease because I use heat . Today I bought Softee Indian Hemp , ingredients are nice and my hair has always done quite well with mineral oil , this also has Lanolin, Nettle, Rosemary, Safflower Oil, so much other stuff.

KhandiB i have found that diluting the Castor Oil with a small amount of a thinner oil works if you're having issues with straight Castor Oil.

Lots of ladies are enjoying the Indian hemp grease so if it works, go for it.

@KhandiB i have found that diluting the Castor Oil with a small amount of a thinner oil works if you're having issues with straight Castor Oil.

Lots of ladies are enjoying the Indian hemp grease so if it works, go for it.[/QUOTE]

It works very good! :bouncegre

I was meditating on why natural, wax based greases aka unpetroleum jellies make my hair tangle really bad after a couple of days and grease doesn't.

I think the reason may be that both mineral oil and beeswax are occlusive, but mineral oil is occlusive AND lubricating, whereas beeswax turns into a glue once the moisture has partially evaporated from my hair, usually after a day and a half. Mineral oil may be more occlusive, as well. And Dax and Softee have lanolin as well (added occlusive power and even more lubricaton).

Apparently lecithin is another occlusive ingredient. This would explain why wheat germ oil or sunflower oil work much better than other oils as sealants on my hair, since both have lecithin.

But from the random info I read online, mineral oil aka grease is the most powerful (something like more than 100 times occlusive than olive oil, whoa :blush:)

I remember HER SUPREME MAJESTY OF HAIRDOM Amel Larrieux saying in an interview that she uses a pomade called Indian hemp.
does Curlykale is the only one who noticed this or I can find similar reviews ?? cause this is really interesting
what about those who made an unpetrolateum jelly with natural wax.
I remember winona faithVA greenandchic made some homemade jellies.
what are your reviews from your long term uses :) ?

I just washed my hair 30 min. ago so it's currently air drying with my usual leave in and light oil (coconut/argan). I'm going to take it down and give this heavy sealing a try before it's dry. I have some BB Castor oil moisturizer and nasabb shea butter. Not sure which one I'm going to use...

does Curlykale is the only one who noticed this or I can find similar reviews ?? cause this is really interesting
what about those who made an unpetrolateum jelly with natural wax.
I remember winona faithVA greenandchic made some homemade jellies.
what are your reviews from your long term uses :) ?

I mixed Alba's Un-Petroleum Jelly with various oils before (to thin it out a bit) with great results. It was still a jelly. It has saved my ends and gave me enough "hold" without it being too waxy.

This is a good reminder to look for that jar again now that the weather isn't so friendly...

Back