HEAVY SEALING - RESCUE YOUR DRY HAIR!

Any daily cowashers doing this? I would like a heavy sealant to also work as a styler, and I am all for using some vaseline or something of that sort.
If no one else has done this, I'll be guinea pig for the next couple of weeks. I cowash daily and shampoo once a month.

I am going to use the Cocoa Butter-scented vaseline I got from the dollar store (doesn't have any actual cocoa butter in it... :ohwell:)

I am a daily cowasher and I was doing this before the op started this topic. For the day time, when I am doing a wash n' go, I seal with something lighter and natural like Hairveda's Almond Glaze. Then at night I re-wet my hair, apply my unrefined Shea Butter, and then seal with grease. So far my hair likes it. SSks have greatly decreased and hair is so much more moisturized period.

Oh by the way since my hair is on the fine side texture wise, I wash twice a week.

I've only tried this a few times but so far so good my hair is tons more manageable than usually and i'm texlaxed with 4g hair 91/2 weeks post. Usually my hair would be super dried after a few days, now it not as dry after DC day, all i'm doing is rewetting hair every couple days and applying leave-in and grease

im natural 4b. ive been avoiding products with petrolonium and all but seems like it works wonders.

You may try : a mixture of shea butter with oil (i use sweet almond) and after shampoo,condit,etc...i seal with my mixture and its so soft then. i better order some more shea butter.

Just updating to the question if a sulfate free shampoo would work to get the grease out... I used hawaiian silky 14in1, evoo, Dax.
I said I'd test so I used everyday shea shampoo 2x and it felt as if the grease was gone and hair was clean so I believe a gentle sulfate free poo would work

Last edited:
Just updating to the question if a sulfate free shampoo would work to get the grease out... I used hawaiian silky 14in1, evoo, Dax.
I said I'd test so I used everyday shea shampoo 2x and it felt as if the grease was gone and hair was clean so I believe a gentle sulfate free poo would work

Yes i agree. I believe i stated in my first post that i use a sulphate free poo and my hair feels clean afterwards.

I do this (I only seal my ends not the entire strand) with Alba Unpetroleum Jelly. It is natural "grease". Castor oil based. And I can testify that it works. My ends are fragile. I use this to protect them.

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

Sealed again with grease last night. Hair was feeling a lil dry, so I spritz hair with water and sealed with blue magic coconut grease. The definition on my twist out is outta this world. I'm at work right now :sekret: and my manager said what did you do different to your hair! It looks so nice! It's also really shiny and soft! I usually would get the itchies by now, but my hair is still going strong. doesn't feel dirty or greasy.

This is great! But my hair is so dense I have to use a heavy beeswax mix on my ends. It killed the frizziness too. I used Africa's Best Maximum Super Gro lightly on my strands. Two days later I co-wash and moisture gets in and makes it much softer :cloud9:

This thread got me thinking though that I would like to make my own pomade. Right now Im thinking avocado butter, organic beeswax, castor oil, olive oil, brahmi-amla oil.......I really want to use the ingredients in the australian scent hot hair pomade. I would get it but its so expensive and its because they use the silver hydrosol and Im not sure about that stuff! Im open to suggestions.

This totally works on my daughter so I'm sure it will work on adults. I use Talliah Wajid's hair grease to seal in SCurl. Works beautifully on all styles.

Can this be used on pressed hair? It sounds good, but I'm wondering if press hair will revert, or should it be used before pressing?

How and when do you use this?

So far most months of the year (I'm in tx so it's usually feeling like summer) In winter Nov-Jan I switch to something like whipped shea butter instead of evoo and a grease called pure sulfur instead of dax.
After I do my finger detangling, shampoo, and condition my hair is clamped in four sections if my hair is dripping wet I gently squeeze with a t shirt before clamping but leave some water for extra moisture. I take 1-2 pumps of HS14in1 for each section rub it in my hands and slide down not through but down the length keeping all products away from scalp. After its on each section and seems good I put a little evoo on my fingers not hands and slide down the length of each section again or just blot it on the sections by caresssing the section. After evoo is on the ends/length (I make probably 4 sections out of each section so I end up with 16 sections or way less if I just don't feel like it) Then I start at the 1st section and pat my hands dry. I dip my finger in the dax (which since back in my day was so yucky and thick now its very light like lotiony almost but I keep it in a warm room so that may be why its thinner) So I rub the small amount on my fingers only and slide them down the ends. I comb through with a seamless or wide tooth comb starting at the ends and make sure I don't see or feel any ssks or strands left unprotected (with the products). Usually at that point it's well moisturized, soft, not really greasy at all. At this point you can style. I usually braid the sections and cover with my durag or satin scarf for bed.
Oddly when I do this I don't have to do it again until next wash and its odd because my hair can be very dry and can break easily but sometimes I'll spray with water 3 days later to reactivate. Hope this made sense
By the way for a while I was scared of using HS14in1 and Dax because they weren't natural but when my money was funny I tried HS & it worked. I also asked my mom what made my hair so long as a kid she said putting dax on your ends after I'd wash it. So I went with it. Can't see myself doing anything else even if I hit the lotto this is what I love and doesn't make my hair weighted down. No frizz, rarely any knots, and no dryness

How and when do you use this?

Last edited:
So far so good. My hair stays soft and shiny and not noticing any ssk. Just started back detangling with my fingers too. These two methods combined, my hair is looking and feeling better than it ever did since the bc. Grease will remain part of my staple. Thanks again Bublin for the thread. :yep:

BTW, I read somewhere in a thread about someone applying a warm cloth after the grease. I pour very warm/hot water over my hair after adding grease to wet hair and it dries much softer than just adding grease. Helps me, may help someone else.

Wow, only on LHCF do I learn about great hair techniques.:grin: I have used petrolatum on my hair the last 2 times (along with oil rinses) and my ends are so much better. I also loved sealing with castor oil, but I would still have SSKs. Whoever mentioned that more porous hair may benefit from this method has a good point. I'm hoping I'm on my way of finding my perfect regimen.

I am in the midst of a hair detox so have laid off the petroleum products. But I made some unpetroleum jelly and I want to see if it works as well. I'm going to try it for a week and let you know. The grease worked well but I will see if there is any comparison.

I think it should work I hope it does.
In chicoro's book she said it worked for her as well as petroleum jelly

I am in the midst of a hair detox so have laid off the petroleum products. But I made some unpetroleum jelly and I want to see if it works as well. I'm going to try it for a week and let you know. The grease worked well but I will see if there is any comparison.

[USER=131943 said:
silenttullip[/USER];14015655]I think it should work I hope it does.
In chicoro's book she said it worked for her as well as petroleum jelly

Thanks, that's good to know. Is that in her new book or her old book?

how do you make it??

I heavy seal the last 2inches of my hair with unpetroleum jelly (Beeswax,JBCO,fragrance) in the summer. In the winter I do the whole strand lightly.

[USER=189174 said:
belldandy[/USER];14015793]how do you make it??

I got the recipe from winona. I used 1/3 cup honey wax and 1 cup of oil (almond oil, olive oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil) because that's all I had. It seems to work fine so far.

Going to be buying hemp oil, so I'll be taking a break from the grease soon. I just put a lil in my hair and twisted up for the night.

Bublin -I was actually gonna log on to tell you that I Love you after I read that sealing post in another thread (day before you made this thread). I don't think I've ever spoken to you b4 here though, so I didn't know how you'd receive that :lol:. It's just such a good feeling to find something that works after about a year of being on this forum, and a good 3 1/2+ years of trial and error.

I apply a small amount of grease to the entire length of each section that I'm twisting - usually soaking wet hair. Once dry my hair is silky and shiny and not greasy at all.

My only issue is that it only lasts days, so I would like to extend the effects to last a week.
Same. Heavy sealing has been fantastic on my soaking wet hair.

On damp hair, not so much.
I usually use diluted condish -1 or 2 sprays for each section (I do like 16 sections in total, as if I was applying a relaxer). When I seal That though, my hair just ends up greasy -not silky or moisturised.

So is everyone getting their hair soaking wet mid-week b4 resealing with grease? Or using straight water instead of diluted condish?

So is everyone getting their hair soaking wet mid-week b4 resealing with grease? Or using straight water instead of diluted condish?

I always reseal on soaking wet hair. I have not tried it on damp hair, so I'm not sure if it would decent results or not.

I don't seal my hair soaking wet. If my hair was soaking wet I would probably do an oil rinse vs the heavy sealing. It's just easier and faster for me that way.

When I seal, I am sealing on damp hair or hair that I have moistened with either diluted conditioner, AVG & oil, or something else thats more on the watery side and then I seal it.

But certain products work better in certain conditions. Your hair may be able to soak up certain products on wet hair vs what it can do on damp hair. Castor oil works for me on soaking wet hair but not so much on damp hair.

I have been using the unpetroleum jelly which I made with the oils my hair likes best and it is working fine on my damp hair. It works as well as the grease for me. I sealed last Tuesday and then again on Saturday and am happy with the results. :yep:

I definitely feel like I am saving my ends. They don't feel all crispy and hard even after several days of no moisture or sealing.

YESSSS @ the bolded. I even have , wait for it, wait for it, A GOLD PLATED CURLING IRON *gasp*

I LOVE Softee Coconut …
LUV it! I had stopped using Grease for a while, and just started going back sporadically in the past few weeks, due to my hair just being so dry looking.
And I am STILL recovering from Post Partum Shedding 2 years after having my son, I especially love it on my ends.

I will try your method Bublin

i once heard a stylist say this. she was lamenting about all the products a lot of 'natural heads' are spending money on--"all most of them really need is some water and grease" was her comment.

its funny how, after the long no-poo/petrolium/mineral oil/sulfate bans, we end up going back to things we know. i have found that, more recently, i have been revisiting products that i used to use when my hair was at its best.

i find i get the best sealin with virgin coconut oil or pure shea butter. while my hair is damp, i emulsify some Giovanni direct leave in then work it thru my hair and immediately apply coconut or shea.

i'm glad you posted this. :)

@Bublin -I was actually gonna log on to tell you that I Love you after I read that sealing post in another thread (day before you made this thread). I don't think I've ever spoken to you b4 here though, so I didn't know how you'd receive that :lol:. It's just such a good feeling to find something that works after about a year of being on this forum, and a good 3 1/2+ years of trial and error.

Heavy sealing has been fantastic on my soaking wet hair.

On damp hair, not so much.
I usually use diluted condish -1 or 2 sprays for each section (I do like 16 sections in total, as if I was applying a relaxer). When I seal That though, my hair just ends up greasy -not silky or moisturised.

bb09 Awww - I luv ya too hun. I'm glad it.s working for you.

Just to add, i agree the heavy sealing works great on wet hair but not so much on damp hair. Inbetween wash days i will use either a water based moisturiser or spray my hair with my spritz and seal with Castor Oil. On wash days i use the Dax. I made this change recently and have noticed it to be more effective.

I cosign this post except I am on day 2 of using Vaseline. It's working wonders! For the first time in 4 months my hair is very soft. a little "greasy" but I think Im using too much. I don't care, it soft!!! lol

So far most months of the year (I'm in tx so it's usually feeling like summer) In winter Nov-Jan I switch to something like whipped shea butter instead of evoo and a grease called pure sulfur instead of dax.
After I do my finger detangling, shampoo, and condition my hair is clamped in four sections if my hair is dripping wet I gently squeeze with a t shirt before clamping but leave some water for extra moisture. I take 1-2 pumps of HS14in1 for each section rub it in my hands and slide down not through but down the length keeping all products away from scalp. After its on each section and seems good I put a little evoo on my fingers not hands and slide down the length of each section again or just blot it on the sections by caresssing the section. After evoo is on the ends/length (I make probably 4 sections out of each section so I end up with 16 sections or way less if I just don't feel like it) Then I start at the 1st section and pat my hands dry. I dip my finger in the dax (which since back in my day was so yucky and thick now its very light like lotiony almost but I keep it in a warm room so that may be why its thinner) So I rub the small amount on my fingers only and slide them down the ends. I comb through with a seamless or wide tooth comb starting at the ends and make sure I don't see or feel any ssks or strands left unprotected (with the products). Usually at that point it's well moisturized, soft, not really greasy at all. At this point you can style. I usually braid the sections and cover with my durag or satin scarf for bed.
Oddly when I do this I don't have to do it again until next wash and its odd because my hair can be very dry and can break easily but sometimes I'll spray with water 3 days later to reactivate. Hope this made sense
By the way for a while I was scared of using HS14in1 and Dax because they weren't natural but when my money was funny I tried HS & it worked. I also asked my mom what made my hair so long as a kid she said putting dax on your ends after I'd wash it. So I went with it. Can't see myself doing anything else even if I hit the lotto this is what I love and doesn't make my hair weighted down. No frizz, rarely any knots, and no dryness

Your technique seems to work very well. I'll give it a try. Thanks for responding. :yep:

you guys are tempting me and I may be back to the old days soon, especially in winter (it used to work wonders for humidity) and especially since I wear braidouts all the time...

Last edited:
Back