HEAVY SEALING - RESCUE YOUR DRY HAIR!

Hey ladies.
This heavy sealing really is like a miracle for me. My hair is so different. My ends are soo moisturised and sealed that the ends of my braids feel almost plasticy and smooth.

Last night i washed and rebraided and loaded my wet hair with castor oil and then tied it down. Admittedly my hair was very very greasy feeling but this morning there is no greasy residue but super shiney, soft, supple individual braids.

I've started using blue magic coconut oil hair conditioner on my ends, and so far my hair loves it. I air dry, and lately the texture of my ends has been rough and they snag together. The blue magic help my ends stay smooth and supple. My hair has been able to handle me using the grease every other day without getting weighted down, even though I wash 1x a week. I haven't had a problem with build up despite the fact that I use a sulfate free shampoo.

Bublin what shampoo do you use? Ok did you say the magic word ("smooth"), I'm off to buy some grease today. LOL

Yes girl, i said smoooth!
Please note that last night i smothered my hair in Castor Oil instead of grease. I'm running my hands over my airdried braids right now and i don't recognise my own hair. My braids swing when i walk

Curlykale - i forgot to add that i use a brand called Naked. I don't know if you have it in the US but it's a haircare line of inexpensive chemical free products. I use their moisturising poo but it's a clear gel like texture, not creamy and to me it feels like it clarifies my hair without strippping it.

I do a version of this. I wash, let air dry a little, spray in my leave in mix (aloe vera juice, vegetable glycerine, castor oil), then seal with a mineral oil based pommade (specifically mineral oil, lanolin, coacoa butter). It's amazing!

The reason mineral oil and vaseline got a bad rap is because it locks moisture out, however it also locks moisture in. the key is you can't use it as a moisturizer by itself. A lot of people thought they were moisturizing their hair with grease, and weren't. In OP's case and mine, the heavy oil is a seal not a moisturizer.

I :love: heavy sealing with grease. :yep: I slather the majority of my hair with grease while it's soaking wet. It may feel greasy going on, but by the time it dries, you can't even tell it's in my hair. It makes my air-dried hair feel soft and smooth and keeps the single strand knots at bay. I've never been able to get any other product to banish the dreaded SSKs like using grease has (at least it does for my hair)!! I just make sure my ends are soaking wet before I seal them with the grease, and I'm good to go.

I can't remember the name of the grease I use though. It's yellow in color and has a bunch of natural oils and herbs added to it. I'll have to look up the name when I get home.

I :love: heavy sealing with grease. :yep: I slather the majority of my hair with grease while it's soaking wet. It may feel greasy going on, but by the time it dries, you can't even tell it's in my hair. It makes my air-dried hair feel soft and smooth and keeps the single strand knots at bay. I've never been able to get any other product to banish the dreaded SSKs like using grease has (at least it does for my hair)!! I just make sure my ends are soaking wet before I seal them with the grease, and I'm good to go.

I can't remember the name of the grease I use though. It's yellow in color and has a bunch of natural oils and herbs added to it. I'll have to look up the name when I get home.

TaraDyan Sounds like you've described Indian Hemp Oil?

@TaraDyan please remember to tell us what grease you are using!

@TaraDyan Sounds like you've described Indian Hemp Oil?

Bublin, texasqt ... I just got home from the gym and ran right to the bathroom to look it up. :lol: It's Softee Light and Natural Indian Hemp Hair and Scalp Treatment. Here are the ingredients:

Petrolatum, Lanolin, Indian Hemp Oil, Jaborandi Oil, Nettle Oil, Rosemary Oil, Birch Oil, Burdock Oil, Rosehips Oil, Irishmoss Oil, Coltsfoot Oil, Dandelion Oil, Yellow Dock Oil, Elder Flowers Oil, Brewers Years Oil, Shave Grass Oil, Enchinacea Oil, Wild Cherry Bark Oil, Nepeta Castaria, Jojoba Oil, Safflower Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Paraffin, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), BHT, Fragrance, D&C Yellow #11

And here's what it looks like:

IndianHemp-vi.jpg

I bought it about a year ago when someone mentioned that they sealed with vaseline. I thought this would be better than vaseline because of the extra oils added to it. I don't put it on my scalp though, just the length of my hair.

I love it!

But how do you make it? I'm curious. :D

greenandchic

This link here and in my previous post has the "ready made" version of the unpretroleum jelly for people who can't make it themselves. It's CHEAP too!; $7 for 1lb :grin: :grin:

Just click on the link in THIS post, and it will take you straight to the unpetroleum-jelly page. HTH :grin:

To answer your question of how to make it? I don't know. My guess would be mix the ingredients together - Im what order? IDK :lol: . My link just provides an alternative way of getting it for lazy ppl like ME

Last edited:
TaraDyan I love it too! I used it once and it made my hair feel soooo great I've been scared to use it again :lachen: I know that's crazy but it was during the whole Petro is bad thing and I was waiting for some kind of side effect and forgot I had it. I think I washed, conditioned, and lightly oiled my scalp and hair with it before blow drying. You described the outcome to a T.

greenandchic

This link here and in my previous post has the "ready made" version of the unpretroleum jelly for people who can't make it themselves. It's CHEAP too!; $7 for 1lb :grin: :grin:

Just click on the link in THIS post, and it will take you straight to the unpetroleum-jelly page. HTH :grin:

To answer your question of how to make it? I don't know. My guess would be mix the ingredients together - Im what order? IDK :lol: . My link just provides an alternative way of getting it for lazy ppl like ME

I'm a little turned off by the minimum order amount, but I do understand why they do it. It's cheap, but I have to buy $20 worth of stuff plus $9 shipping. :spinning:Ill buy it at the store to see if I like it enough to place an order for it...

Thanks for the link though, I will be saving that for future purchases. :lick:

@Bublin, @texasqt ... I just got home from the gym and ran right to the bathroom to look it up. :lol: It's Softee Light and Natural Indian Hemp Hair and Scalp Treatment. Here are the ingredients:

Petrolatum, Lanolin, Indian Hemp Oil, Jaborandi Oil, Nettle Oil, Rosemary Oil, Birch Oil, Burdock Oil, Rosehips Oil, Irishmoss Oil, Coltsfoot Oil, Dandelion Oil, Yellow Dock Oil, Elder Flowers Oil, Brewers Years Oil, Shave Grass Oil, Enchinacea Oil, Wild Cherry Bark Oil, Nepeta Castaria, Jojoba Oil, Safflower Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Paraffin, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), BHT, Fragrance, D&C Yellow #11

IndianHemp-vi.jpg

I bought it about a year ago when someone mentioned that they sealed with vaseline. I thought this would be better than vaseline because of the extra oils added to it. I don't put it on my scalp though, just the length of my hair.

I love it!

This is one of my permanent staples!

Bublin, thank you so much for this. I was just being upset today about how my ends are constantly dry and breaking even though I moisturize, henna, and use no heat. I have fine porous hair though. Tonight after my wash I used all my regular products plus applied a little vaseline to the ends before twisting. We'll see how they feel in the morning!

ericajoy
I too have very fine, porous hair and keeping it moisturised and feeling soft is very hard. The advice is generally to stay away from heavy products for our hair type but the opposite is true for me.

My hair likes Paul Mitchell 'The Conditioner' Leave-in. Its a thick creamy type product. My hair likes thick buttery cholesterol conditioners and moisturisers and to top it all it needs a thick oil/pomade to seal it all in. Once airdried the hair feels thick, moisturised and silky.

The ladies on this thread have suggested all kinds of thick/heavy sealants and the good thing about it they are all inexpensive - grease is cheap!!!

Please let us know how your hair feels in the morning.

@ericajoy
I too have very fine, porous hair and keeping it moisturised and feeling soft is very hard. The advice is generally to stay away from heavy products for our hair type but the opposite is true for me.

My hair likes Paul Mitchell 'The Conditioner' Leave-in. Its a thick creamy type product. My hair likes thick buttery cholesterol conditioners and moisturisers and to top it all it needs a thick oil/pomade to seal it all in. Once airdried the hair feels thick, moisturised and silky.

The ladies on this thread have suggested all kinds of thick/heavy sealants and the good thing about it they are all inexpensive - grease is cheap!!!

Please let us know how your hair feels in the morning.

So I took my hair down this morning and the ends were improved! They are really scraggly right now (I get a trim tomorrow) but they were much less tangled than usual (yes, they usually tangle up and cling to each other even in twists! grr).

The ends did feel a tiny bit greasy from the vaseline but nothing major - I only put vaseline on the last inch or two - and plus, whatever I put on the ends usually wears off in no time anyway, so I'm kind of glad it feels a little greasy now, maybe that means it'll last.

Here's a pic of my hair today: lhcf pic 082611.jpg

So I took my hair down this morning and the ends were improved! They are really scraggly right now (I get a trim tomorrow) but they were much less tangled than usual (yes, they usually tangle up and cling to each other even in twists! grr).

The ends did feel a tiny bit greasy from the vaseline but nothing major - I only put vaseline on the last inch or two - and plus, whatever I put on the ends usually wears off in no time anyway, so I'm kind of glad it feels a little greasy now, maybe that means it'll last.

Here's a pic of my hair today: View attachment 122975

So already there is an improvement, and with a trim i think you'll be less frustrated with your hair when you seal.
Can i suggest you use a product that contains nourishing ingredients instead of just vaseline and you will see a faster improvement in your hair. There are many suggestions in this thread - any pomade (grease) or Castor Oil which is very thick. Just like you have experienced, the sealing effect will last for more than just one day.

I think your hair looks very soft and not at all dry in the pic.

So already there is an improvement, and with a trim i think you'll be less frustrated with your hair when you seal.
Can i suggest you use a product that contains nourishing ingredients instead of just vaseline and you will see a faster improvement in your hair. There are many suggestions in this thread - any pomade (grease) or Castor Oil which is very thick. Just like you have experienced, the sealing effect will last for more than just one day.

I think your hair looks very soft and not at all dry in the pic.

Thank you! And yes, I use other products - I use a kimmaytube-style leave-in with Shea Moisture conditioner, aloe juice, and jojoba oil after each wash, then I seal with naptural85's shea butter mix. (What would I do without lhcf and youtube? Lol.) THEN I put vaseline on just the ends.

Overall this regimen prior to the vaseline kept my hair pretty nice and moisturized, except for the ends! The ends have been through a lot on this hair journey though, so they must need a little extra tlc.

I think I'm going to use this regimen after my trim - my usual plus vaseline on the ends after washing - for that '2 inches in 4 months' challenge and see if I can reduce breakage on the ends.

Thank you again Bublin for this info!!! I think it's going to help a lot.:flowers:

^^Oh, and I see what you're saying about using a heavy sealer besides vaseline, like castor oil or a pomade -- yes, I plan to! I just had vaseline at home and it was too late to go to the bss. But I will probably try Dax.

^^Oh, and I see what you're saying about using a heavy sealer besides vaseline, like castor oil or a pomade -- yes, I plan to! I just had vaseline at home and it was too late to go to the bss. But I will probably try Dax.

:yep: Cool, you got what i was saying. I actually had a thought that you used the vaseline because you didn't have anything else to hand at the time. But hey, some people use it and it proved to you that a heavy sealant was what was missing in your regime.

Bublin, texasqt ... I just got home from the gym and ran right to the bathroom to look it up. :lol: It's Softee Light and Natural Indian Hemp Hair and Scalp Treatment. Here are the ingredients:

IndianHemp-vi.jpg

I love it!

Indian Hemp was my favorite grease along with Dax Kocatah back in the day. Today after my protein treatment and DC, I sprayed my liquid leave-in, some Keracare creamy leave-in, and applied my grease to the length of my hair- Phyto Nourishing Pomade and a bit of Softee Indian Hemp around my edges.

Right now, my texlaxed hair is airdrying. My sister walked in the house and said, "Your hair looks nice and it's so shiny!" lol - she's natural. I'm hardcore protective-styling right now, so this is great.

I was meditating on why natural, wax based greases aka unpetroleum jellies make my hair tangle really bad after a couple of days and grease doesn't.

I think the reason may be that both mineral oil and beeswax are occlusive, but mineral oil is occlusive AND lubricating, whereas beeswax turns into a glue once the moisture has partially evaporated from my hair, usually after a day and a half. Mineral oil may be more occlusive, as well. And Dax and Softee have lanolin as well (added occlusive power and even more lubricaton).

Apparently lecithin is another occlusive ingredient. This would explain why wheat germ oil or sunflower oil work much better than other oils as sealants on my hair, since both have lecithin.

But from the random info I read online, mineral oil aka grease is the most powerful (something like more than 100 times occlusive than olive oil, whoa :blush:)

I remember HER SUPREME MAJESTY OF HAIRDOM Amel Larrieux saying in an interview that she uses a pomade called Indian hemp.

Last edited:
this thread!
been battling with dryness and brittleness. read this last night, and although grease makes my scalp itch i was desperate enough to try it.
wet my hair with usual spritz of water and aloe vera juice. followed that with a generous application of NTM, and then applied vaseline, starting a few cm from scalp. untidy flat twists, cling-wrap and bed.
this morning i removed the cling-wrap and waited for hair to dry completely, undid flat-twists and ended up with a soft shiny chunky 'fro. didn't shrink as much as it usually does either..

love this technique! thanks OP.

i'm not a beeswax fan when its comes to it being in hair products so i would use emulsfying wax or jojoba wax to make my un-petrouem jelly mixture and ceramide based oils. i don't have issues with chronic dryness..in the winter its minimal so i try making natural grease.

Any relaxed heads try this? Can grease be used on dry hair to seal and if so should u start by lightly moisturizing with a leave-in etc.?

Back