Health vs. Hair: I Gave/Threw Away all My Hair Products Away

SNyeema said:
Does that mean that everyone who has responded about giving all the harmful preservatives up that aren't already natural, going natural? I mean, I can only IMAGINE what a relaxer does and most of the folks that responded are relaxed. I'm just wondering.

I thought about this too....

NOT going to happen.

Wow....struggling with this now...I keep trying to ignore this thread, but it keeps popping up top! LOL, now it's a sticky!!!

Trying to find skin care AND hair care products that are effective without these harmful ingredients are a difficult and expensive task :-(

I wish manufacturer's would just leave this stuff out of the products.

A lot of thinking going on here....a lot of thinking

i plan to buy the mountain rose herbs face and hair stuff. i just got my catalogue in the mail yesterday. i order my EOs and rosewater from them

toosexy1 said:
i plan to buy the mountain rose herbs face and hair stuff. i just got my catalogue in the mail yesterday. i order my EOs and rosewater from them

Don't buy their Kathys Family Lotion until you check the ingredients it has diazolidinyl urea 80% in it, and I looked that up b/c it sounds like another urea on the list and it is toxic when it exceeds certain percent 0.5%.

Last edited:
I applaud all of you women who are attempting to change your lifetyles to natural healthier alternatives....You women are absolutely amazing.. Isn't it wonderful...what a little bit of information can do... CHANGE is GOOD!!! Especially when you move in the right direction.. I did a 10 day cleanse 2 years ago.. and tried to go natural and use natural products... Now with the baby...I find myself looking at all the ingredients to everything.. I will definately attempt this again this year!!! This is a wonderful thread!!

wow! interesting thread. I can't even think about switching to all natural products while I'm still faithfully slapping one of the most dangerous products of all on my hair 3-4 times a year:lol: Talk about conflict of interest.:lachen: That is probably more damage than any shampoo or conditioner can ever do. I guess you have to start somewhere, but dropping the relaxer is going to be hard :ohwell:

Lucia said:
Don't buy their Kathys Family Lotion until you check the ingredients it has diazolidinyl urea 80% in it, and I looked that up b/c it sounds like another urea on the list and it is toxic when it exceeds certain percent 0.5%.

I got an email response from Kathy's family, quick too I just emailed them yesterday, here's the response to my questioning them about using the diazolidinyl urea.

<<Hi Lucia,
Thank you for your question. We use germall (Diazolidinyl Urea & Idopropynl Butylcarbamate) to preserve our shea butter lotion at a .02% concentration.
Thank you again.
Kathy>>

Last edited:
Right now, I still use personal care products that have harmful ingredients and I have natural hair. I also still live at home with my parents, work part-time, and I'm a broke college student that's trying to save money. I cannot afford the expensive natural and organics products right now.

I always wish the opposite would happen...for good stuff to be affordable and bad stuff to be expensive...but that's just not the case in this world. Its sad that we can only use products and eat foods that are not healthy for our bodies.

Once I live on my own and have a full-time career position, I'm going to start incorporating natural organic personal care products and foods. My mom who buys most everything for the household just isn't going to do it. Whenever I get married and start a family, I will continue a healthy lifestyle. This is one of my ultimate goals.

I just want to clear something up...

Natural/organic expensives are not always more expensive than regular products. Actually, many of them are CHEAPER than the popular salon lines. For me, my natural/organic products have cost me MUCH less than my chemical-laden products. There are plenty of companies that make great skin & hair care products and don't charge an arm and a leg.

There are vendors online (and off line) that offer great deals on natural products.

So, natural/organic is NOT equal to expensive.

Carry on. :D

Divine Inspiration said:

Natural/organic expensives are not always more expensive than regular products. Actually, many of them are CHEAPER than the popular salon lines. For me, my natural/organic products have cost me MUCH less than my chemical-laden products. There are plenty of companies that make great skin & hair care products and don't charge an arm and a leg.

There are vendors online (and off line) that offer great deals on natural products.

DI do you know of any that are not too pricey? I would like to buy more natural/organic products and all I seem to find are ones that are kinda expensive. Can you drop some names? Thanks!

naturallady said:
DI do you know of any that are not too pricey? I would like to buy more natural/organic products and all I seem to find are ones that are kinda expensive. Can you drop some names? Thanks!

I'd also like to know the names of these companies. I am going to try my honey childs stuff. But if i can find something with a better price tag i am willing to give it a try.

ITA w. organics don't necesarily have to be expe$ive, I was comparing prices while researching this too. ex: Carol's daughter khamet shea conditioner=$ 25~~compare to Matrix Biolage Detangler $25, and the Biolage shampoo cost me another $25~~~no diff. ;)
Aubrey organics
www.aubreyorganics.com

Oyin hand made
www.oyinhandmade.com

Avalon organics
www.avalonorganics.com

Burt's Bees
www.burtsbees.com

Mountain rose sells organic face and body care stuff too, as well as hair products.
www.mountainroseherbs.com

Aubrey, Burt's Bees, and Avalon have some products @ healthy stores too, these are same price/cheaper than regular drug store brands, and no parabens. hth :)

Last edited:
THe article that MissBliss (sp?, if not I apologize) posted really helped...Just cuz a product uses parabens doesnt take away from its naturalness...The parabens are just preservatives...Without some kind of preservative, "natural", ALL products for that matter would go rancid and be a breeding ground for bacteria....

*ElleB said:
THe article that MissBliss (sp?, if not I apologize) posted really helped...Just cuz a product uses parabens doesnt take away from its naturalness...The parabens are just preservatives...Without some kind of preservative, "natural", ALL products for that matter would go rancid and be a breeding ground for bacteria....

There are preservatives that can be used that are not carcinogens also there are regular mostly synthetic products that don't even use parabens and last a while too like some MNT products.

Those were stated in that article as well....I know some other companies use other types of preservatives as well, but it was stated in the articles that it is a question of effectiveness....I need to keep doing research, I look forward to a definitive answer that will tell if parabens actually cause cancer or not....lol, I feel like Im in skool doing a research project! lol

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/treasuredlocks/preservatives1.pdf

You know, there are poisons in everything we use: the air we breath, the water we drink. There is really no escaping it. I just try to do the best I can to cut down on what I may be able to control. I don't want folks to think we are becoming fanatical around here, ya know? Keep on researching ElleB and keep us posted!

I agree with Divine inspiration... Organic /natural does not always= more expensive

I look at it this way.. what's more expensive ...eating healthier foods and staying out of the hospital without diabetes or eating fast food (cheap meals) and having medical bills and diabetes to deal with.

Same thing with hair care... Use healthier products.. healthier head, hair and body!!

But I do live in LA.. alot of people buy orgainic everything here daily and it is widely available. There are Organic alternatives to practically everything now. I was shocked to find these items priced most often less expensive than the commercial / chemical loaded brands.
I guess it's supply and demand!!

Healthy hair growing!!

Divine Inspiration said:

If what you are saying is true...

Could you please share with us what natural/organic hair and skin products are cheaper than regular products???

And what vendors offer great deals on natural/organic hair and skin products???

...See, all the natural/organic products I've seen are more expensive... Aubrey Organics, Burt Bees, Tom's of Maine, Kiss My Face, Jason Naturals, Giovanni, Aveda, and more. I've been to regular stores that sell this stuff and the Whole Foods Market.

naturallady said:
You know, there are poisons in everything we use: the air we breath, the water we drink. There is really no escaping it. I just try to do the best I can to cut down on what I may be able to control. I don't want folks to think we are becoming fanatical around here, ya know? Keep on researching ElleB and keep us posted!
This is so true.

I heard a story about this woman who ate all organic foods and used all natural products and worked out regularly and she developed cancer.

Don't get me wrong - I think it is great, important information, but good luck at this. I know I won't be paraben free, but it's good to know. Maybe I can reduce them.

You are gonna have to throw out black pepper too. It too contains a carinogen.

peacelove said:
Don't get me wrong - I think it is great, important information, but good luck at this. I know I won't be paraben free, but it's good to know. Maybe I can reduce them.

You are gonna have to throw out black pepper too. It too contains a carinogen.

:eek: Stuff like that will make ppl paranoid-hypocondriac-health nuts!! I can try to make changes here and there, i will continue to research, but I won't won't won't be a fanatic. I don't mean if I get cancer, "Oh well" but geez, I just want to live my life! lol

*ElleB said:
:eek: Stuff like that will make ppl paranoid-hypocondriac-health nuts!! I can try to make changes here and there, i will continue to research, but I won't won't won't be a fanatic. I don't mean if I get cancer, "Oh well" but geez, I just want to live my life! lol

I know! That's why I don't think I will really be "free" of it all. But this IS good info! It makes you more conscious of what is in the products we use, which is a good thing. I guess we really should not be eating washing and spreading on things that we have no clue what they are. But we do it every day. :(

Poohbear said:
WHAT!? :eek: OH NO! I LOVE BLACK PEPPER! :lick:

Me too. :( The first time I heard of it was in Dr. Andrew Weil's book. He was always saying use red pepper flakes and do not use black pepper. I did not believe it until I searched online.

But I LOVE black pepper. I get the peppercorns and grind them fresh. I will take my chances with it!

peacelove said:
Me too. :( The first time I heard of it was in Dr. Andrew Weil's book. He was always saying use red pepper flakes and do not use black pepper. I did not believe it until I searched online.

But I LOVE black pepper. I get the peppercorns and grind them fresh. I will take my chances with it!

Same here!! What book is that by Dr. Andrew Weil? I would like to read it, lol

*ElleB said:
Same here!! What book is that by Dr. Andrew Weil? I would like to read it, lol

it was 8 weeks to optimum health.

I gotta say, this thread helps health and pocketbooks. I just came back from the BSS and passed on about 6 different items because they all had parabens - LOL. Information is indeed power. :)

naturallady said:
This is a VERY good site that tells you everything just about on a specific product that you do a search on. Check it out!!! Ineresting!!!!
http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2/index.php

Girl i was looking at that the other day. I was very disturbed that some baby products were at the top of this list. Very shocking. I used to like using the johnsons and johnsons baby lotion on myself. Then i looked it up on there. I wont be using the little that is left of that. I am so glad i never put that mess on my kids.

Back