Health vs. Hair: I Gave/Threw Away all My Hair Products Away

I think castille soap is in a lot of natural shampoos. I think you can get them at a whole food store. Not sure how drying it is though.

I'm trying to phase out the really harmful ones like the parabens and pthalates out of my routine, it's hard, but QP mango butter is a fav, and there are the Dominican Cond's and Scurl (don't know if I can give this 1 up) which i have to go through that work great w. my hair I have to find a replacement for those if I choose to phase them all out. Well off to my product closet and see.

Last edited:
I'm going to phase out these products until I find good replacements and most are just getting the boot. I have no idea if I can even phase out the Proactiv, HELP, any suggestions please?

Products I've found w/ 1 or more of these carcinogenic chemicals:
Brentwood salon care cholesterol conditioner :cry2:
Neutrogena triple moisture daily deep conditioner :cry3:
Matrix biolage detangler
Proactiv skincare products
Proclaim shea and aloe conditioner
10 en 1
Sedal anti-sponge
African pride braid sheen spray
Salon care styling gel with aloe vera
Infusium 23
KMS flat out lite relaxing creme
Ouidad curl quencher shampoo, conditioner and gel--ironically her products have Lauryl sulfates, cones and alcohols, I thought her products were esp. for curlygirls :rolleyes: what up w/ that?
Nivea body silky shimmer
Proclaim moisturizing oil sheen spray
Secret deodorant-aluminum
Surge plus 14
ORS olive oil sheen spray
St. Ives body washes, lotions, moisturizers
Home best tear free hair detangler
Scurl activator moisturizer :cry3:
Elasta QP Mango butter
Aphogee Protein Treatment

:cry: :cry:

Last edited:
Try this instead of the mango butter:

http://www.curlmart.com/MYHoneyChild-Buttery-Soy-Hair-Creme-p-342.html

I use it to smooth my edges like I did the mango butter and it works great. It seems expensive, but I bought my jar months ago and I still have it. A little goes a long way, it's a great value. Check her website and see if she has a sample or smaller size if you are unsure. Others had recommended the giovanni direct leave in as a replacement but while its a nice conditioner it wasnt heavy enough for how I use it. The Buttery soy hair cream is great tho.

:)

Enchantmt said:
Try this instead of the mango butter:

http://www.curlmart.com/MYHoneyChild-Buttery-Soy-Hair-Creme-p-342.html

I use it to smooth my edges like I did the mango butter and it works great. It seems expensive, but I bought my jar months ago and I still have it. A little goes a long way, it's a great value. Check her website and see if she has a sample or smaller size if you are unsure. Others had recommended the giovanni direct leave in as a replacement but while its a nice conditioner it wasnt heavy enough for how I use it. The Buttery soy hair cream is great tho.

:)

It's $$ up there in price, Thanks I'll check it out, I really need to find something to replace the cholesterol cause that's my all time staple, maybe another brand, I'll check the BSS and online's for natural products there has to be a replacement, if it was cones I can live w. that but I really want to get rid of the parabens and pthalates alltogether.

Last edited:
whole foods, or any store that sells natural products will have castille soap, and they have scented w/ natural essence oils too.

:eek: :eek: what what what. just when i find a product that works! *$%^!# i've been washing my daughters hair with creme of nature! i'm going to have to find new products. i'll read back as many pages as i can to find a natural poo & cond. how is this stuff approved if it causes cancer :confused:

SweetCaramel1 said:
how is this stuff approved if it causes cancer :confused:

Its all about the money. These people dont care about how many people they hurt and possibly kill as long as the get paid. Its sad. Just like cigarete companies. I finally figured out why 2nd hand smoke is worse than 1st hand. They don't want the people who smoke to die off as fast becasue if they do, whos gonna be around to buy thier cigarretes?

Does that mean that everyone who has responded about giving all the harmful preservatives up that aren't already natural, going natural? I mean, I can only IMAGINE what a relaxer does and most of the folks that responded are relaxed. I'm just wondering.

Wow! I'm so surprised to see this thread back on the first page. I'm still going strong and haven't looked back.

As for relaxers, I'm four months post and am in the process of deciding whether I'm going to give up relaxers permanently. My hair just doesn't like it.

After more than two years of doing the right things (moisturizing daily, washing at least once each, satin scarfs, and protective styles, etc.) my hair is breaking like you wouldn't believe.

My hair just can't handle the harshness of even the mildest of relaxers (I've been using mild since 2004).

~*~*~*~
I'm really happy with my paraben-/petrochemical-free decision and the 7 lbs I've lost since then and the $00s I've saved (I was a series product junkie) help to keep me motivated.:)

Last edited:
So what products are you all using that are carcinogen free? I need to find a good shampoo and conditioner.

Last edited:
I just ordered some shampoo and cond. from www.elysiandream.com It came highly recommended from Nay's album under prodcuts. It only has like 3 ingredients in them and you can add your own goodies to the mix to jazz them up if you like.

I just went and looked through most of my stuff that i have. Hair care and skin care prodocts, even the kids products.Most of them have parabens in them. One pantene conditioner didn't. But i am sure there is some other bad chemical in them. l of them have something in it. And to think i spent a good amount on some nexxus. I haven't even used it yet. I will be buying natural stuff in the future. I cant take anything thing i brought back either. The guy are the BSS doesn't allow refunds. I think someone returned something and put something in the bottle once that messed up someones hair so he doesn't allow refunds on conditioners and things like that. So i am stuck with all this stuff. A spent alot of money on this stuff. :( I love nubien Heritage black soap and a few of their other soaps so i will be trying out there shampoo's and condtioners. If i like them i'll be buying by the case.

I just came back from 1 health food/vitamin store and some of these "natural" brands have parabens/petrols in them like Derma, JASON, Kiss my face lotions the only products I've found on the shelf so far that have held up to the pthalates parabens test is Aubrey Organics, Tom's, Burt's Bees (although some of Burt's Bees stuff has Tocopherol super Vitamin E that's on the list but not as harmful) I'm really impressed by Aubrey, also I went to the Sally's BSS to find a cholesterol w/o parabens in it, yeah right good luck there weren't any but they have a small selection. Mane and Tail users should be ok though cause the deep cond and some of the products I read don't have parabens in them. I'll have to visit the another BSS and health food store to see what they have. I just can't find a lotion/moisturizer in an economy size that doesn't have parabens in it, even though it's considered healthy which they can claim even if they're 80% natural. I'm packing a box of unused proactiv and St. Ives body washes and lotions to give away. thank goodness most of the products I was using were finished or almost finished b/c I did a no PJ challenge end of 2005 so I used up alot of product, the hardest things to let go of is Scurl, cholesterol, elasta QP mango butter and NTM--I loved those :love: but since they won't love me back I chucked them :lol: I can be healthy and have long hair, I mean didn't the 1800-1900 ladies have long natural hair, no parabens then

Last edited:
AO shampoo's and my hair dont get along, but I love the conditioners, esp gpb. I prefer giovanni, esp the magnetic shampoo and conditioner. I just ordered some other stuff (shampoo,cond)this weekend, but I dont remember the brand name. If I like them I will do reviews. Some of the jason stuff doesnt have parabens, they have some body washes I tried. Toms of Maine has a body wash that lathers well. I bought some other natural/chem free stuff this week, but again I dont remember the brand but once it arrives I will let you know. Well actually the stuff was on sale, so I will tell you after my next payday once I order more. I know how yall can empty out a place. ESPECIALLY YOU LURKERS :) Internatural.com has a bunch of sister sites and has a lot of items, at cheaper or comparable prices and usually list ingredients. They have most of the giovanni magnetic stuff.

eta: One thing I tried I didnt think I was going to like (for hair) was the qhemet shampoo bar. (I kept imagining I would have white film on my hair) It has a nice spicy scent, but its not overpowering and doesnt irritate my skin. I used it to shampoo, and it was ok. Not as soft as my other stuff but it lathers well and if I didnt have build up I probably wouldnt have noticed a difference in the softness. I would love to get that soap as a liquid or w/o the beeswax to see if it performs differently.

Last edited:
naturallady said:
Its all about the money. These people dont care about how many people they hurt and possibly kill as long as the get paid. Its sad. Just like cigarete companies. I finally figured out why 2nd hand smoke is worse than 1st hand. They don't want the people who smoke to die off as fast becasue if they do, whos gonna be around to buy thier cigarretes?

that's a shame. everything is about money and instant gratification. no one thinks long term :ohwell:

SNyeema said:
Does that mean that everyone who has responded about giving all the harmful preservatives up that aren't already natural, going natural? I mean, I can only IMAGINE what a relaxer does and most of the folks that responded are relaxed. I'm just wondering.

hi SNyeema. i can honestly say no at this point i'm not giving up relaxers but i have definitely cut down on the frequency. i used to relax every 6-8 weeks, 7-8 times a year. now i'm trying to cut back to 3-4 times a year. maybe one day............

i saw the paraben(s) in my nexxus, creme of nat and mnt. it's also in my st. ive's face scrub :mad:

what other carcinogen should i look for :confused:

SweetCaramel1 said:
i saw the paraben(s) in my nexxus, creme of nat and mnt. it's also in my st. ive's face scrub :mad:

what other carcinogen should i look for :confused:

On the 1st page of this thread there are links, one of them is a list of elements to avoid, just print it. hth

At this point, until I can afford to buy more things, I'm gonna have to keep using the stuff. I think since I've never paid attention to any of these things before, I'll just pretend to be ignorant for a lil while longer.
Hopefully with a great set of tresses by this fall, I can completely switch to all natural products.
I'm starting off with Face and body products from carol's daughter and move on from there.

Then I'll get to the hair etc after that.

Mountain rose herbs has skin care products (except for 1-but I'm sending them a email about that) that are paraben free and not too expensive. I thought I would loose my mind trying to find skin products and give up Proactiv but there are other choices and it's not like they were ever cheap.
www.mountainroseherbs.com
Giovanni, and Avalon Organics are in healthy stores.
I really like the ingredient list for Carol's Daughter and I don't overuse product it should last a while.
www.carolsdaughter.com
http://www.avalonorganics.com/
Oyin is not expensive either:
www.oyinhandmade.com

Last edited:
Back