He Proposed With No Ring. What's Your Answer: Yes Or No?

It depends....

I am very picky with jewelry. I don't wear jewelry on the regular and when I do--- it is high quality. My dream ring is a VVS2 or better, color D, .75 - 1.25 carat round diamond set in a platinum halo. Chances are, I am not going to get that... the stone alone costs $5K+ from a quality dealer. I would like some input on my ring so if I was proposed to without a ring but could go shopping for mine afterward... I would do it.

But as my ex MIL famously said to me - "Your man should know you well enough to get a ring he knows you would like from his heart." She was shading me because I was sending her son ring ideas and she felt it was inappropriate. Since then my thoughts have changed... I agree with her- your man should know you well enough to either get you a ring he knows you would like or take you shopping afterward. But he should also know if proposing without a ring (depending on the reason) is OK.

One of the guys I am seeing now asked me to send him a picture of a ring (friend got engaged a few weeks ago) because I said it was pretty and he wanted to see it. Didn't think much of it then but last week he asked me if I like circle or square stones (he doesn't know they are called Round or Princess cuts lol) so I think he is trying to get an idea of what I like. I would not take him seriously if he didn't propose without a ring and didn't take me shopping right after.

Last edited:
anigif_enhanced-buzz-3336-1367423372-4.gif

NO.
A ring is symbiotic of your status in his eyes. I wish I would have a man on one knee talmbout "Imma get you a ring later". Stop trying to lower the bar for men
I'm so glad she doesn't look like that anymore.

But on to matter at hand, that's a major red flag to proposed to a woman with no ring, get married 3 weeks later, than finally get a ring a year later. Was he going to jail or something?

Why are black women expected to accept this nonsense? If my man can't afford a ring then we don't need to be married. I don't need a $20,000 ring but I need something nice! They should have worked together on getting their finances straight. Your ideal partner should inspire you to be at your best. I don't want to work this summer(I'm a teacher) but I'm going to take this short gig because that money will allow me to knock out debt and put money in savings, and help to pay my tuition so that I can finish the last 15 credits to get my Masters. Besides my daughter, my man inspires me to work hard as he works hard. He's a saver and will work 24 hours to avoid owing anyone. I cannot fathom marrying someone that can't buy me a ring. I have seen beautiful rings for $2000 that I would accept. No other race is asked to deal with the Build-A-Negro mess.

ITA, but I wouldn't be waiting and not exploring my other options just to "wait" for him to get his finances in order. I'll date him, but won't seriously commit to a man who's in serious debt. That's not a healthy way to start a marriage.

Last edited:
My guess is he was only able to afford those ugly rings after living with a financially stable wife.

Yep, they got married, moved in toge'va and split the expenses. After 365 days, he was able to afford the 1st ring (trinket); then during the 2nd year and after he paid his car off he was able to afford the 2nd ring.

.......and SHEEEEEE Helped! [But don't know it] It is her choice and her business, but she really Should neither Brag nor put down women who won't settle like she did.

(for ya'll old head the bolded should be read in the voice of the Shake n'Bake little girl)

No, I need a ring. But bae could propose with a ring from the Cracker Jack box for all I care as much as I love him.

But, ironically, the only reason we didn't get engaged a year ago is Bc he wants to buy me this huge, stupidly expensive one that I think is 100% uncalled for and yet he doesn't want to settle for anything else lol. Most men in love really do see the ring as a representation of their love for you, so having a proposal without even an inexpensive one is telling, IMO.

Last edited:
It depends....

I am very picky with jewelry. I don't wear jewelry on the regular and when I do--- it is high quality. My dream ring is a VVS2 or better, color D, .75 - 1.25 carat round diamond set in a platinum halo. Chances are, I am not going to get that... the stone alone costs $5K+ from a quality dealer. I would like some input on my ring so if I was proposed to without a ring but could go shopping for mine afterward... I would do it.

But as my ex MIL famously said to me - "Your man should know you well enough to get a ring he knows you would like from his heart." She was shading me because I was sending her son ring ideas and she felt it was inappropriate. Since then my thoughts have changed... I agree with her- your man should know you well enough to either get you a ring he knows you would like or take you shopping afterward. But he should also know if proposing without a ring (depending on the reason) is OK.

One of the guys I am seeing now asked me to send him a picture of a ring (friend got engaged a few weeks ago) because I said it was pretty and he wanted to see it. Didn't think much of it then but last week he asked me if I like circle or square stones (he doesn't know they are called Round or Princess cuts lol) so I think he is trying to get an idea of what I like. I would not take him seriously if he didn't propose without a ring and didn't take me shopping right after.

:eek: 5K+ for the stone alone??? I gave my bf a hard max of 1k for all the rings (mine his and the bands). Then again as I said jewelry is pretty low on my priority list so yeahhhhhhh.

:eek: 5K+ for the stone alone??? I gave my bf a hard max of 1k for all the rings (mine his and the bands). Then again as I said jewelry is pretty low on my priority list so yeahhhhhhh.
Yeah- I don't wear jewelry but my engagement ring would be the one thing I would want to splurge on. Color D stones over .75 carats are going to cost a few grand, unless you go to the Middle East. I hear diamonds don't have the ridiculous mark up out there that they do here.

Yeah- I don't wear jewelry but my engagement ring would be the one thing I would want to splurge on. Color D stones over .75 carats are going to cost a few grand, unless you go to the Middle East. I hear diamonds don't have the ridiculous mark up out there that they do here.

Gotcha, I guess i'm just lucky my tastes align differently (I like pearls and onyx over diamonds) and the De Beers are just exploitative as hell. But hey if you're frugal in everything else go for it ^-^

Back