He Proposed With No Ring. What's Your Answer: Yes Or No?

No, to answer the question. It's fine for her, but not me. I feel like regular people don't have to do everything they see Beyonce and Jay-Z do. I'm too traditional for that. Any man who ever dated me seriously would have known that up front, so I don't think this could have happened to me.

I'm trying to picture it though. (Warning: thought bubble ahead):

Dinner at our favorite restaurant was perfect, and we're about to leave. He stands to pull out my chair, but instead, he kneels, right there in the restaurant! Everyone turns to look, smiling. I gasp and cover my eyes with my french manicured nails (which I had gotten done the moment he said we'd be coming here - where we had our first date). He talks about love and forever and only you and it makes a word cloud that lifts my mind out of my body and now I'm floating, looking down on all of this. I look down and think Dang! My hair looks good from up here! Wait -- bring it back, Pat. Focus! This is important! I hear him say Will you marry me? I hear myself say Yes. Yes!

Somehow I muster the good sense to extend my left hand for the ring. I'm trembling. He holds my hand tenderly, caresses it, then yells over his shoulder "Hey, Sludge! Bring in the needles! She said 'yes." And a burly, bald tattooed white guy in a dirty white wife-beater and khaki cargo shorts charges into the restaurant. He also kneels in front of me. His forehead tat says "Do Not Entur." He quickly carves my future husband's initials, "MM," into my ring finger. It looks like this:
/\/\/\/\

The restaurant explodes in applause and congratulatory greetings. The maitre'd brings me some ice for my finger. Yah, no.

No, to answer the question. It's fine for her, but not me. I feel like regular people don't have to do everything they see Beyonce and Jay-Z do. I'm too traditional for that. Any man who ever dated me seriously would have known that up front, so I don't think this could have happened to me.

Dinner at our favorite restaurant was perfect, and we're about to leave. He stands to pull out my chair, but instead, he kneels, right there in the restaurant! Everyone turns to look, smiling. I gasp and cover my eyes with my french manicured nails (which I had gotten done the moment he said we'd be coming here - where we had our first date). He talks about love and forever and only you and it makes a word cloud that lifts my mind out of my body and now I'm floating, looking down on all of this. I look down and think Dang! My hair looks good from up here! Wait -- bring it back, Pat. Focus! This is important! I hear him say Will you marry me? I hear myself say Yes. Yes!

Somehow I muster the good sense to extend my left hand for the ring. I'm trembling. He holds my hand tenderly, caresses it, then yells over his shoulder "Hey, Sludge! Bring in the needles! She said 'yes." And a burly, bald tattooed white guy in a dirty white wife-beater and khaki cargo shorts charges into the restaurant. He also kneels in front of me. His forehead tat says "Do Not Entur." He quickly carves my future husband's initials, "MM," into my ring finger. It looks like this:
/\/\/\/\

The restaurant explodes in applause and congratulatory greetings. The maitre'd brings me some ice for my finger. Yah, no.

:lachen: :lachen: hilarious!

DH proposed with no ring and we went to pick one up after I said yes.

Now see, he'd get the side eye if that wasn't first thing out of his mouth. Have me guessing where the ring is.

My guess is he was only able to afford those ugly rings after living with a financially stable wife.

I know. While she's bragging on the innanets, bih paid for her own ring.
#heaintslick #shegothustled #sheupgradedhislife

This can be worse you know.

I have a friend that was proposed to back home in December with her future sister-in-law's wedding ring. He wanted to propose without a ring. The sisters though that was not cool. So, one of his sisters gave him her wedding band to use in the proposal. She had to return the ring the next day. She was upset that she couldn't have the ring for 2 days at least. I wished someone had taken a picture of my face when she told me, sigh smh :cry3: :angry2: :eek:.

She's getting married in August and wants me to come with her. I said nope. I'm busy but I will come to her party when she gets back here. She's paying for everything but trying to disguise it as if they are both doing it. If only you know how hard it is for me to mind my business. First, I had tried to talk her out of it but to no avail. She truly believes a piece of a man is better than none. But listening to her stories is mind blowing. I found the receipts of her ring from a pawn shop. She pawned some bracelets and bought the ring. I wanted to hand over the receipts to her myself but no. I just slipped it into the bag when she wasn't looking.

/\/\/\/\

Best. Post. Ever. I'm in tears of laughter!

@YvetteWithJoy, Good Morning! Please see first post.

Good morning, lady!

Well, everyone is of course free to do as they wish, but it's a BIG NO for me, dawg. :nono:

Several wonderful posts above, including yours, articulate why.

No! And I'm ever so slightly riled up about it. :look: :lol:

My husband and I aren't materialistic, but he knew he needed to be able to afford proposing to me with a symbol and investment.

I'm getting all SORTS of red flags from the OP.

I have a friend that was proposed to back home in December with her future sister-in-law's wedding ring. He wanted to propose without a ring. The sisters though that was not cool. So, one of his sisters gave him her wedding band to use in the proposal. She had to return the ring the next day. She was upset that she couldn't have the ring for 2 days at least. I wished someone had taken a picture of my face when she told me, sigh smh :cry3: :angry2: :eek:.

She's getting married in August and wants me to come with her. I said nope. I'm busy but I will come to her party when she gets back here. She's paying for everything but trying to disguise it as if they are both doing it. If only you know how hard it is for me to mind my business. First, I had tried to talk her out of it but to no avail. She truly believes a piece of a man is better than none. But listening to her stories is mind blowing. I found the receipts of her ring from a pawn shop. She pawned some bracelets and bought the ring. I wanted to hand over the receipts to her myself but no. I just slipped it into the bag when she wasn't looking.

This is beyond sad. There are a lot of females who would do anything just to say they have a man or are married. In reality, he's not a man. Many females settle for pure nonsense and set the bar so low. These guys are walking around here doing nothing yet these females are performing full wive and husband duties.

Good morning, lady!

Well, everyone is of course free to do as they wish, but it's a BIG NO for me, dawg. :nono:

Several wonderful posts above, including yours, articulate why.

No! And I'm ever so slightly riled up about it. :look: :lol:

My husband and I aren't materialistic, but he knew he needed to be able to afford proposing to me with a symbol and investment.

I'm getting all SORTS of red flags from the OP.

I agree. It's definitely not about being materialistic but these guys are out here doing nothing and getting a whole lot from females. Makes no kind of sense.

I know. While she's bragging on the innanets, bih paid for her own ring.
#heaintslick #shegothustled #sheupgradedhislife

According to the receipts posted on the other site, this seems to be the case. :look:

I've never really been into traditions or expensive jewelry, so do what works for you, but this social media post reeks of insecurity. If you are at peace with breaking tradition, there is no need to put anyone else down. I see resentment in her future if it isn't already there.

Those are wedding bands? They're awful.

Her hash tags make her look like a fool. You can't accept a man at his worst...??? A man ain't supposed to come to you at his worst though. Where did she get that from?

When my ex asked me we went to look at rings a month before except I thought we went for me to pick out my earrings for my birthday. I only half heartedly showed him what I liked because an engagement wasn't on my radar. When he asked me I legit thought he was giving me those stupid earrings instead of a ring trying to be different. Lol When he opened the box I cried. It was the most beautiful ring I'd ever seen.

She's talking big stuff for someone with only three years of marriage under her belt. And no to those cheap, ugly, gaudy cluster rings. How is your upgrade going to still be a less than a carat cluster? Stop.

The only way I could imagine accepting a ringless proposal is if it was a very spontaneous thing. Like, we are on vacation watching a Caribbean sunset and he's just compelled to propose right then and there. I'd accept, but I'd also expect a ring immediately after. A planned proposal with no ring doesn't make sense to me.

That's heartbreaking. It must be so hard for you to watch that. I've heard of cheap but this brings it to some new level. :nono:

As women we have to do a better job at raising our boys to be MEN. I need to start speaking to mine about things even at his young age smh.

Dh proposed without a ring.
I did go to the jewelry store with a female friend of his that day(it was a set up and the whole time we were in the store I was like I ain't shopping for no jewelry even tho the jeweler kept asking me to try on stuff) I think he initially planned to wait until after he bought the ring but who can wait to claim me :)?
I was 23

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Don't see anything wrong with it. I told my bf to use an ice cream cone from ben n jerry's to propose as we never go out for ice-cream so I won't get blind sighted :lachen:I'm pretty picky with jewelry and think most rings (especially diamond rings) are a scam so I'd rather help pick one out after getting some yummy ice cream.

Exactly.
Your husband to be is suppose to meet your dad to have his blessing with the ring.

No ring? What am I committing to a life of IOU's lol no sahhhhh

And those rings looking cz fresh ugh

No to everything she posted. When DH went to my dad to ask permission to marry me, my dad needed to see the ring up front. We all would have given the stink eye if he wouldn't have had one. Secondly, those "upgrade" sets are gaudy and ugly.

Back