He a student and I'm staff.

I think it depends. I've worked at a couple of universities where staff - not faculty - dated or married graduate/professional students and no one batted an eye. Undergraduates are generally taboo, even for young employees who may have just graduated themselves.

Last edited:
:look: that's a poor justification for having a relationship with a student. i can only hope you're joking. never mind what some dumbass men are doing; if she gets caught then that's not only her job gone but her career is finished also. she'd never be able to get another job in education.

If this is high school.
I dont think OP is talking about high school though.
Nothing wrong with two consenting adults dating. IMHO

These are very interesting threads I post, I hope people can learn from all of them, or put advice to them to help other people who have these situations but were too shy, or nervous to ask. I don't post them just for me, I post them for anyone who is in these simliar situations, but were to scare to ask for advice off-line.

Some people can't go to their families, friends, or who every for advice, and that's why I'm glad there are forums like this to help people get advice they can't get no where else.

So please keep the opinions coming!

So this if for someone else who is in this situation?

if it's against the rules, you already have your answer....

if it's not against the rules, it's still an awkward and suspect situation that you shouldn't willingly put yourself into...

i had a similar "opportunity" about 3 weeks ago - i'm an admissions advisor for graduate programs, and an undergrad student left his card with his advisor to leave for me, instructing me to "call anytime"... now this guy is older, distinguished, handsome, successful (just missing his piece of paper)... however, the fact that he's a student where i work was enough for me to not call him...

all that to say, if you don't want to risk losing the respect that you have around your workplace, just say no....

He won't be in school forever :look: Keep it friendly and wait until he graduates to pounce.
I can agree with this. Especially since summer break is coming up soon. :grin: But ONLY if you won't be staff to his student when school starts back up in the fall.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you're crazy or have issues just b/c you have interest in someone. People have interest in people they probably shouldn't have intrest in ALL the time. I can't speak for any other threads or "issues" that you might have, I don't remember all like that and I've never been a fan of throwing past posts in people's faces but anywho...the problem comes in when/if you act on that interest and the staff/student dynamic is still there. If you're genuinely interested in him and he feels the same way, that interest should still be there when he graduates/you get a new job. Until then, I wouldn't advise acting on it.

:look: that's a poor justification for having a relationship with a student. i can only hope you're joking. never mind what some dumbass men are doing; if she gets caught then that's not only her job gone but her career is finished also. she'd never be able to get another job in education.

Umm... not really, but whatever. I don't know I have no personal experience with something like this, so maybe thats why I regard it so lightly... some of ya'll are condemning the whole thing so vehemently, seems like ya'll have been through something...

OP,

Date someone who can do something for you monetarily.
Don't take a chance on a guy who is still in school.

Do keep in touch.
Maybe after he has graduated and started making money, y'all can check each other out.

Umm... not really, but whatever. I don't know I have no personal experience with something like this, so maybe thats why I regard it so lightly... some of ya'll are condemning the whole thing so vehemently, seems like ya'll have been through something...

Nope. Not at all. Didn't know that you had to have experienced something to have to be in favor of it or not. :ohwell:

OP,

Date someone who can do something for you monetarily.
Don't take a chance on a guy who is still in school.

Do keep in touch.
Maybe after he has graduated and started making money, y'all can check each other out.

Yes let's be sure to maintain the boundaries of prostitute vs client. Mustn’t forget the proper order of things.

you dont have to go thru something to put yourself in that situation and form an opinion on if its right or wrong

i think its a bit sleazy :perplexed

OP,

Can you elaborate on the situation??? :wallbash:

Several posters (including me)have asked:

Is this a university or high school

Thank you!
It would help get a better perspective . :spinning:
Also, many posters (including myself) really dislike when someone post something and then don't come back in to further elaborate/explain.
You wont get as many responses if you do this too often.:nono:

OP,

Can you elaborate on the situation??? :wallbash:

Several posters (including me)have asked:

Is this a university or high school

Thank you!
It would help get a better perspective . :spinning:
Also, many posters (including myself) really dislike when someone post something and then don't come back in to further elaborate/explain.
You wont get as many responses if you do this too often.:nono:

:yep::yep::yep::yep::yep:

All I'm saying is, you never REALLY know how you feel about something until you are presented with the situation yourself. I know I myself have felt quite high and mighty about a couple of things, but when I was actually presented with the situation, I had to think twice.

I will never disclouse if these situations are personally me, or friends, or family members. Or disclosue them as hyperthetically questions. I just want to know what kind of advice you would give, and what would you do if it were you!

P.S. Just because you speak in the first person don't always means it's you personally

If this is high school.
I dont think OP is talking about high school though.
Nothing wrong with two consenting adults dating. IMHO

imo, even if it's not high school and it's against the rules of that educational institution then it's still against the rules. therefore, she would be a fool to risk losing her career for that.

:lachen:what an "interesting" assumption. i'll leave it as that.

Last edited:
I will never disclouse if these situations are personally me, or friends, or family members.
P.S. Just because you speak in the first person don't always means it's you personally

Thats fine.However...

When you put things like: I'm,me,we,etc; in your post then people are going to assume its about YOU.I guess its all in how you're wording things.

Or disclosue them as hyperthetically questions.

Im confused @ the bolded.

I will never disclouse if these situations are personally me, or friends, or family members. Or disclosue them as hyperthetically questions. I just want to know what kind of advice you would give, and what would you do if it were you!

What do you mean by this? You are not asking hypothetical questions or you are?:ohwell:

Back