Have you sacrificed for your DH's career?

envybeauty

Wondering if it is common in other people's relationships for them to sacrifice something for their husband's career at some point.

As in, what if your husband got a job that was in another state and you both decided that you would stay back, keep the kids in school, and work while he went on to start his career (but he would fly home on the weekends).

Something like that. :look:

No. :nono: I can't speak for anyone else, but if I were ever in a position where sacrifices may be needed, there would DEFINITELY be limits.

are u talking about the lady from real housewives of ATL? B/c I kno her husband is going to Oakland and she is stayin in ATL

are u talking about the lady from real housewives of ATL? B/c I kno her husband is going to Oakland and she is stayin in ATL

ummmmmmmm. no. :look: didn't know about her.

i was thinking about Michelle staying behind in Chicago and raising the kids pretty much on her own while Barack was in DC and flew home just on the weekends.

I guess it is different when you have kids. I would prefer that we all just move together or DH stays. I would agree to him going if he couldn't find a good job (doesn't have to be great) where we were, or me and the kids couldn't move because the area is dangerous...in which case I wouldn't want DH over there. I couldn't imagine working 5 days a week to come home and take care of the kids alone. Even if I were a stay at home mom. I would miss DH too much and so would the kids. The same reason I didn't want a military man.

Maybe if it was short-term, a one-time thing.

ummmmmmmm. no. :look: didn't know about her. i was thinking about Michelle staying behind in Chicago and raising the kids pretty much on her own while Barack was in DC and flew home just on the weekends.
As an outsider looking in, I can't knock the Obama's for their decision (especially since Barack didn't have a fixed location when he was on travel). Following Barack would have meant criss-crossing the country and, in addition to taking the children out of school, GREATLY increasing Sasha and Malia's exposure to the media. In addition to that, Michelle would have had to take time off work and, possibly, lost pay. Nope, I don't blame the Obamas for their decision at all.

As an outsider looking in, I can't knock the Obama's for their decision (especially since Barack didn't have a fixed location when he was on travel). Following Barack would have meant criss-crossing the country and, in addition to taking the children out of school, GREATLY increasing Sasha and Malia's exposure to the media. In addition to that, Michelle would have had to take time off work and, possibly, lost pay. Nope, I don't blame the Obamas for their decision at all.

i wasn't knocking them. just acknowledging the sacrifices that they made to get to where they are today.

ummmmmmmm. no. :look: didn't know about her.

i was thinking about Michelle staying behind in Chicago and raising the kids pretty much on her own while Barack was in DC and flew home just on the weekends.

They spoke about that in an interview with 60 minutes last night. In his case or any case where Im married to a man and he's my husband Im going to support him within reason. Thats a part of marriage support and compromising along with other things IMO.

I guess it depends on the relationship and the shared vision that the two people have for their futures.

If a move would would concomitantly push us closer towards achieving our shared life goals- I'd be willing to do so (give or take a few extenuating circumstances).

The converse however- is EQUALLY true! ;)

Back