Has Anyone tried Indian (Desi) Products

Lolita

Has anyone tried Desi (India) products, such as:
Dabur Vatika oil
Amla Oil

If so, how does your hair normally feel? Is is greasy? And most importantly, does it promote growth?

I like the amla oil (nice soft hair) for a pre-wash but dh cannot abide the smell so I used up the bottle and never bought more. I have used Vatika as a pre-wash and it is also very good. I've used it according to bottle directions (heated, post shampoo) works wonderfully that way as well.
Usually, though, I just use it as a leave-in on my daughter's hair.

neither of those but one called navratna...it has alma and other oils in it(camphor, rosemary,methol, etc)...it promotes growth and controls dandruff and is very stank...and it can get greasy if i use it daily...i dont do that any more cuz i got tired of my rag and pillow smellin like it...i added the dabur jasmine oil it to cut the smell..still enuff to stank to taint my rag and pillow

i used keshavardhini oil this summer when i had braids i ordered it from indiaplaza online it was in this little bottle and it was concentrated it said on tha bottle to mix it with coconut oil but i mixed it wit doo gro oil for growth and used it on my hair will in braids it also had a strong scent but it helped me stay moisturized and achieve growth.

Order you amla at fromnaturewithlove.com the oil is pure and not mixed with other stuff...all the oils from the indian store I find to be a bit toooo smelly for me, and are mixed with other stuff like mineral oil, which can be bad on hair...

I've used Amla and Vatika and like them very much for pre-shampoo oil treatments. I used to use them once a week (and other oils too). My hair was only greasy if I didn't let it rinse enough.

oglorious1 said:
Order you amla at fromnaturewithlove.com the oil is pure and not mixed with other stuff...all the oils from the indian store I find to be a bit toooo smelly for me, and are mixed with other stuff like mineral oil, which can be bad on hair...
I just posted about from nature with love. I am sorry but I do not recommend ordering from them. I also assumed that their stuff is pure and it is not. Check with them BEFORE you order -- if they will give you the true story. They refused to tell me what was in something that I ordered before I ordered it and only admitted that the items that I had purchased were almost completely synthetic after I called them repeatedly for answers! Then they had the nerve not to take back the products when I called them on their false advertising!

I'm using the Dabur Vatika oil for pre and post hot oil treatments weekly.

I tried the Amla before. It's good if you want your hair to be black but I prefer the Vatika which is mainly coconut oil based with henna, amla, lemon and others trhings. The Amla oil contains mineral oil and I am not to keen on the smell.

I bought a big bottle of amla oil from the Indian store and I regretted it once I opened it and caught a wiff of the smell. No wonder the wouldn't let me smell it in the store, LOL! I am going to go back and see if I can make an exchange. I doubt it but I will try. Also, it turns out that it is mostly mineral oil! I bought Darbur Amla lite. I think that I will stick with good old sweet smelling coconut oil for my pretreatments from now on.

And yes, I agree with whomever said that most of these Desi oils are just mixed with mineral oi. I bought the lite version because all of the other ones listed mineral oil as one of their top ingredients :eek:. I will try to return at least the big bottle that I bought but I am not sure that they will let me do this. Oh well.

The Vatika doesnt seem to have mineral oil and doesnt smell as bad as the amla so I will keep that. I was initially worried about what the henna and lemon would do to my hair. Does anyone know what effect these can have on the hair?

I have to say that I bought both the Amla and the Vatika oil for only 3bucks!!! I have been using them all week with my conditioner only washes and have had good results. THE VATIKA OIL STOPS BREAKAGE!! My only problem is that it kind of smells, but I only use them as pretreatments and as treatments in between my shampoo and conditioner so it pretty much washes out... i think...lol

Gosh, I just cant take the smell. Esp. of the Amla. It is a stink that I have never smelled before. I can't even say exactly what it is. Also, I accidently squeezed the vatika too hard and the stopper squirted all over my bathroom. It was a green liquid with specks that looked like vomit! So gross. Will not be buying after I am done with the vatika, I dont care how good it works. I am thinking of taking the Amla back, but I dont know how the owners of the store will react to that. In the future, I will just use the Vatika or a quick pretreatment. I had planned on using this for a two-day pretreatment, but I think I am going to have to rinse this out in a few hours and go back to my old coconut oil pretreatment. The smell is giving me a headache.

Also, are these items hairdyes? Is it true that they dye your hair?

tryn2growmyhair said:
Gosh, I just cant take the smell. Esp. of the Amla. It is a stink that I have never smelled before. I can't even say exactly what it is. Also, I accidently squeezed the vatika too hard and the stopper squirted all over my bathroom. It was a green liquid with specks that looked like vomit! So gross. Will not be buying after I am done with the vatika, I dont care how good it works. I am thinking of taking the Amla back, but I dont know how the owners of the store will react to that. In the future, I will just use the Vatika or a quick pretreatment. I had planned on using this for a two-day pretreatment, but I think I am going to have to rinse this out in a few hours and go back to my old coconut oil pretreatment. The smell is giving me a headache.

I heard the original formula of Dabur Amla oil darkens hair over time.

tryn2growmyhair said:

Ok, as far as the amla oil goes, yes it does smell. It's not a smell that I can say I'm really familiar with, but it is quite pungent:lol:

However, the Vatika oil smells primarily of coconut, so if you don't like the smell of coconut oil then you won't like it. Also you say your Vatika has green specks in it? Ummm, then maybe there is something wrong with it. It shouldn't have any green specks in it or look like vomit. In fact it should be a kind of clear whitish colour when it's hard and once it warms up (through body heat or putting in hot water or near a radiator) it should look like any other oil eg olive oil. I just looked at mine.

If you don't like it take it back. Well, I mean tell them you're allergic to it or something but they won't refund it just because you don't like it.

Last edited:
good2uuuu said:
I use and like the Amla oil as a pre treatment. I actually like the smell. Guess I'm the wierdo here...lol.
Wow, you like th smell? It's giving me a headache. And I had to lay down for a little bit. Power to you girl. I am definitely taking this back. I am going to tell them that I had a bad reaction to it and that it gave me a headache -- which is the truth!

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Ok, as far as the amla oil goes, yes it does smell. It's not a smell that I can say I'm really familiar with, but it is quite pungent:lol:

However, the Vatika oil smells primarily of coconut, so if you don't like the smell of coconut oil then you won't like it. Also you say your Vatika has green specks in it? Ummm, then maybe there is something wrong with it. It shouldn't have any green specks in it or look like vomit. In fact it should be a kind of clear whitish colour when it's hard and once it warms up (through body heat or putting in hot water or near a radiator) it should look like any other oil eg olive oil. I just looked at mine.

If you don't like it take it back. Well, I mean tell them you're allergic to it or something but they won't refund it just because you don't like it.
It doesnt look like vomit, I was exaggerating, but it is a clear green and there are white specks in it. I love the smell of virgin coconut oil. This stuff does NOT smell like virgin coconut oil. I just might take both of these back, if you say that it is supposed to smell like coconut oil. Both of the Darbur amla oils smell similar.

tryn2growmyhair said:
It doesnt look like vomit, I was exaggerating, but it is a clear green and there are white specks in it. I love the smell of virgin coconut oil. This stuff does NOT smell like virgin coconut oil. I just might take both of these back, if you say that it is supposed to smell like coconut oil. Both of the Darbur amla oils smell similar.

I think it smells like this because of the other ingredients in it. Besides I think it smells a lot better than my WGO but I use it because of the benefits it gives my hair. If I was going by smell alone for some of these products then I wouldn't buy them at all because some of them smell funky.:lol: However, I like the fact it (the Vatrika oil) doesn't contain mineral oil.

I wonder if I can make my OWN amla oil:

Amla oil, prepared by boiling dry amla pieces in coconut oil, is considered a valuable hair tonic for enriching hair growth. A mixture of equal quantities of fresh amla juice and lime juice used as a shampoo stimulates hair growth and prevents hair loss.
http://medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/hairloss.asp

This might be better than using the cheapo Darbur amla oil that has mineral oil in it.

how do u guys know that it has mineral oil in it? Everything on my bottle is written in hindi. LOL... Besides it works really well. I know Indians that say it is great too.

I also found this. Hmmm, does anyone else have any amla oil recipes?
AMLA

Amla is the name given to the fruit of a small leafy tree (Amlica Embillicus) which grows throughout India and bears an edible fruit. This fruit is highly prized both for its high vitamin C content and for the precious oil which is extracted from its seeds and pulp and used as a treatment for hair and scalp problems. During colonial times the British referred to the amla fruit as the "Indian Gooseberry".

It is edible, very tart and rich in pectin. Because of this, it is commonly used to make jams, jellys, chutneys and other condiments. Another common use of this fruit is in medicines and tonics since it is extremely rich in vitamin C. In fact, it is documented that the amla fruit, on a per pound basis, is the world's richest source of vitamin C. "Amla oil" is prepared from dried amla berries which have been soaked in coconut oil for several days in order to extract the oil soluble vitamins from the fruit. The filtered and purified oil is commonly called "amla oil". This oil has a long history of use as an aid for improving the health of hair and scalp. In fact, it is one of the world's oldest, natural hair conditioners. Customarily, a small amount of amla oil is applied to the hair after washing. This not only brings forth a rich, natural shine and soft texture, but also helps rejuvenate hair that is dull and damaged. Amla Oil is used for no other purpose than treating hair. It is a natural hair conditioner with a long history of use. Because of its beneficial properties, ShiKai uses Amla Oil as the principle conditioning agent in ShiKai Amla Conditioner.
http://www.vaipani.com/herb_info.htm

Lovelylocs said:
how do u guys know that it has mineral oil in it? Everything on my bottle is written in hindi. LOL... Besides it works really well. I know Indians that say it is great too.
I looked at the ingredients on the box.

O Okay... I was thinking that someone called b/c everything that is written on my bottle is in Hindi. I got mine fromt he Indian store tho, so i think it was all imported.

Back