Indian hair products.

I never noticed any powder on my Amla, either.
frown.gif
Allandra and Boadecia are relaxed and they use Vatika. You should PM them and ask if they follow the directions or do something different.
smile.gif

I'm 4a, and I started using Amla oil a couple weeks ago (I've been braided up for the last 3 weeks however). Anyway, I like it, but the aroma leaves a lot to be desired (kinda like grandma perfume, but not putrid). I'm going to start using it again as directed (applying to scalp and length of hair the night before shampooing) when I take these out.
smile.gif

Umsumayyah - Where do you get the Dabur Vatika around DC? I've only been to one store, and all they had was Amla (wasn't Dabur brand either). TIA

I go to the Madinah Market in Herndon. Not too far from DC but there must be one closer to the city where you can pick it up... there's a store in Falls Church called Halalco, I'm pretty sure they carry it too. They have a website, http://www.halalco.com I think. The # for the Madinah Market is 703.904.7000. They have almond, castor, and coconut oil there too, as well as Dabur shampoo and the Vatika. I even saw Lotus powder there. I remember there were some naturals awhile back who really liked lotus powder. HTH.
smile.gif

The "henna" referred to in the Vatika Oil is probably henna extract or neutral henna extract rather than the powder. Most labels just sort of say "henna" without distinguishing what they really mean by that. The henna extract, essential oil or neutral henna extract serve different purposes for the hair when added to oil mixtures as oppose to using a paste made of the pure henna powder. Any of these, however, will provide conditioning that help to strengthen the hair. Don't know how much is actually in the Vatika. So there is no telling if there is enough in there to do very much.

HennaJoy

Ah, HennaJoy!
wave.gif

I just ordered Ahmad henna from your website recently! I'm wanting to get a very dark, deep red stain so I'll be shopping for clove bud e.o. and lemons at my local health food stores. I also ordered indigo in case the Ahmad doesn't stain like I expect.
look.gif

Good to "see" you again!

[ QUOTE ]
Don't know how much is actually in the Vatika. So there is no telling if there is enough in there to do very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello There HJ!
wave.gif

According to the label, each 100 ml of Vatika has 0.10 g of Mehndi Leaves (Henna).

I love both of the products you mentioned!
smile.gif
I grew up around them, as my Indian relatives family passed the traditon along. I continue to use them, and I always get lots of compliments on my hair and how silky it is.
smile.gif

Hi Lady,

The combination of the Ahmad and indigo should get you the color you want. Just be sure to play around with it a bit to assure you don't get a color way darker than you want. If you just want the color darker but not totally dark, you might want to try a 1/5 indigo to 4/5 henna powder mix first to shift the color darker. Equal parts indigo to henna powder should shift the hair to a dark brown.

HennaJoy

Hi Sassygirl,

Hmmmmmmm....point 10 grams (0.10 grams) of henna leaves. Actually, the neutral henna extract or henna extract in that quantity would add benefit to the hair conditioning. Point ten grams of henna powder is a teeny weeny pinch and is not going to do much and 0.10 grams of henna leaves...I'm imagining crushed is going to be about 1/10 of that pinch. Vatika has a nice combination of things in it though.

I am a 4B and I use indian haircare products and my hair loves them. I use Vatika Henna Cream Shampoo & Vatika Hair Oil. I use rose water and glycerin for moisture. A few months ago I discovered Neelibhringadi Hair Oil (Coconut & Gingelly)at the Indian grocer. I use the coconut oil base. These are the benefits that are listed and the recommended usage:

Regular application of this oil on the head before bath

Promotes dark and lustrous hair
Prevents falling of hair
Check dandruff and dryness of the scalp
Cures premature grayness
Compliments by enhancing beauty if regularly used as a hair oil

Nina

[ QUOTE ]
HennaJoy said:
Hi Lady,

The combination of the Ahmad and indigo should get you the color you want. Just be sure to play around with it a bit to assure you don't get a color way darker than you want. If you just want the color darker but not totally dark, you might want to try a 1/5 indigo to 4/5 henna powder mix first to shift the color darker. Equal parts indigo to henna powder should shift the hair to a dark brown.

HennaJoy

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, HennaJoy.
smile.gif

ok- ya'll got my curiosity up. I ordered the dabur amla oil and coconut oil from ishopindian.com. I got a few other things i have to run out of first such as my sweet almond oil and jojoba oil and shea butter but thinking about trying my indian oil soon. I'll keep u posted. I was impressed with the shipping, updates and all the way around with this website. I will definitely purchase from them again. Thanks guys for the info.

Adding a new product to the list.
A friend of mine bought me a bar of Shikakai hair soap last year. I just got around to trying it yesterday because, except for the neutralizing stuff, I have no shampoo. I used it after my coconut oil/castor oil/honey pretreatment. It lathered up well and wasn't drying at all. In fact, I could run my fingers through my hair as I was rinsing it out.
I am pleased with this as I am trying to cut down on the sulfates.

I bought some Indian hair products....THIS STUFF BETTER WORK...since you all are the ones who recommended them, I'm also adding Chywanvanprash to my vitamin regimen....Please don't recommend anything else to me...I can't help it anymore, plus I have nickeled and dimed myself to death....ugh!!!!!!
perplexed.gif
wallbash.gif
angry2.gif
Now I have to wait on UPS...this really sucks guys....

[ QUOTE ]
oglorious1 said:
I bought some Indian hair products....THIS STUFF BETTER WORK...since you all are the ones who recommended them, I'm also adding Chywanvanprash to my vitamin regimen....Please don't recommend anything else to me...I can't help it anymore, plus I have nickeled and dimed myself to death....ugh!!!!!!
perplexed.gif
wallbash.gif
angry2.gif
Now I have to wait on UPS...this really sucks guys....

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, you should buy...

j/k!
laugh.gif

If you ordered Dabur's Vatika oil, you will not be disappointed!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
carameldiva said:
ok- ya'll got my curiosity up. I ordered the dabur amla oil and coconut oil from ishopindian.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not too thrilled with the amla oil. It's scent reminds me of Bergamot hair grease.
nono.gif

Yeah, its kinda strong. I just ordered some Amla, shikakai and reetha powder, I plan to put that in some oil to use on my daughter instead. Dabur's scent makes my dh
ill.gif

Went to Little India and saw all the hair products, I saw the Vatika Amla Oil, but it has mineral oil, so I put it down, and got this stuff called Anoop(STAAANNKKOONNIAA!!!!)
shocked.gif
it smells like cigarette butts, I'm going to try it just to see how it works, I just have to make sure I spray a mixture of water and jasmine oil once it gets here.....I'm gettin' to the point that UPS man might know my name.

I dug this out of the archives, How about some of us listing the Indian products that we would recommend so when we look for them we'd know what to try, I'll start it off:
Amla OIl
Brahmi Oil
Himani Gold Cream

I have been using the Indian powders for years. I also make my own "Indian Oils". I tend to doctor mine up extra strong in herbal content. Right now I have a Shikakai Amla Carrot Nettle Rosehip Hibiscus oil waiting to be filtered into bottles.

i loved the amla oil- the scent didn't bother me- i used it this week as an overnight treatment with a plastic cap - my hair was moisturized and felt and looked great.

I just ordered some amla and brahmi oil to try the smell of products dont bother me especially if I get good results.

Mahalialee how do you use the powders? How do you make your oils?
I took the powder and heated it up in some olive and almond oils till the powder turned black, then I strained the oil into a glass bottle. Will this give good results or am I wasting my time?

sassygirl125 said:
All the other oils and butters I tried for pre-poo treatments left my hair tangled and kind of hard.
ohwell.gif
Mixing them with conditioner helped, though. The indian oils just leave my hair feeling softer. I usually wear one of them overnight 1x-2x per week. I'm loving Vatika mixed with a little bhringraj!
love.gif
What does bhringraj do for the hair?

Mahalialee4 said:
I have been using the Indian powders for years. I also make my own "Indian Oils". I tend to doctor mine up extra strong in herbal content. Right now I have a Shikakai Amla Carrot Nettle Rosehip Hibiscus oil waiting to be filtered into bottles.
Where do you get the hibiscus from and how do you make these oils? Thanks in advance. I think that I too would like to make my own oils as well because then I can control the smell and what is in the oils. Thanks again.

This is a great thread. I was browsing through the Indian shops just last weekend and wondering about using their hair products.

Has anyone tried the Bigen hair color? Cathy Howse mentions it on her web site as the only hair color safe to use on our hair.

Back