hairTips

Spagirl

I was on a site yesterday that belonged to a stylist that at one point in time was raved about here on LHCF. His name is Marvin located in NYC. He give 34 tips on his website. Here are just a few of them.

<ul type="square"> [*]Moisturize your hair with a conditioning cream every 3-4 days if your hair is relaxed.

[*]Try to shampoo and condition your hair at least once a week.

[*]Oil your scalp up with a castor oil based, hair oil 2 wks prior to your relaxer ever 2-3 days. This will lubricate your new growth, which will slow shedding and make the scalp less sentitive during relaxation.

[*]If you have to relax your own hair, apply some base on your scalp and ends slightly to protect them...

[*]If you need to use a dandruff or medicated shamepoo always shampoo twice and leave the second shampoo on for 10 min. to penetrate the scalp, then condition.

[*]Do you have an itchy scalp? Apply Sea Breeze to your scalp with a cotton swab before and after shampooing.
[/list]

He has many other tips some that have to do with hair coloring and other things some might find interested esp. us newbies. Marvin's Website It takes awhile to load. These and other tips are found under the heading of "Tips" of course. HTH!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I was on a site yesterday that belonged to a stylist that at one point in time was raved about here on LHCF. His name is Marvin located in NYC. He give 34 tips on his website. Here are just a few of them.

[*]Moisturize your hair with a conditioning cream every 3-4 days if your hair is relaxed.

[*]Try to shampoo and condition your hair at least once a week.

[*]Oil your scalp up with a castor oil based, hair oil 2 wks prior to your relaxer ever 2-3 days. This will lubricate your new growth, which will slow shedding and make the scalp less sentitive during relaxation.

[*]If you have to relax your own hair, apply some base on your scalp and ends slightly to protect them...

[*]If you need to use a dandruff or medicated shamepoo always shampoo twice and leave the second shampoo on for 10 min. to penetrate the scalp, then condition.

[*]Do you have an itchy scalp? Apply Sea Breeze to your scalp with a cotton swab before and after shampooing.
[/list]

He has many other tips some that have to do with hair coloring and other things some might find interested esp. us newbies. Marvin's Website It takes awhile to load. These and other tips are found under the heading of "Tips" of course. HTH!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with most of his tips except the one about basing your scalp if you relax your own hair...I say base it always...even when having the 'professionals' doing the relaxing....

Thanks for the tips
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with most of his tips except the one about basing your scalp if you relax your own hair...I say base it always...even when having the 'professionals' doing the relaxing....

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you gurl!
smile.gif

I like the tip at the site about rinsing your hair in the coldest water you can stand to seal the cuticle, stimulate blood and make hair shine. I will definitely try that, plus I assume that in the winter, this can close up your pores incase you have to go out after washing your hair. Thanx for those tips. Boy that thing took a loooooooong time to load, lol.

My tip would have to be:

why apply products on one by one, wouldn't it be better to mix them all together, then you would not be left with white sections of hair etc. Where youve applied to much of one product.

[ QUOTE ]
My tip would have to be:

why apply products on one by one, wouldn't it be better to mix them all together, then you would not be left with white sections of hair etc. Where youve applied to much of one product.

[/ QUOTE ]
I so agree with you....especially when I air dry... That is why I mix my oil, serum and conditioners together(I call it my concotion) BEFORE I shampoo, after I rinse while it is still soak and wet and I then apply it in globs. Much easier...less chance of ending up with frizz also.

I'm not so sure about the cold water to stimulate the blood tip. Cold water would constrict the vessels to the scalp.... just as cold air constrict vessels all over your body. Warm air causes them to dialate... so logically, warmer water would increase blood flow... I should think.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not so sure about the cold water to stimulate the blood tip. Cold water would constrict the vessels to the scalp.... just as cold air constrict vessels all over your body. Warm air causes them to dialate... so logically, warmer water would increase blood flow... I should think.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with you! just what i thought when i read it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with you! just what i thought when i read it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, what you are saying about dialation and constriction is true but, you have to also remember there is another factor. Which is, when you get chilled you have a tendency to shiver and tense up. Shivering is the body's way of trying to generate heat, in that the cold water rinse is temporary, the shivering causes the body to generate some extra heat(=dialation). When cold water is thrown on you, your body has a tendency to tense up (= adrenaline=increase heart beat=increase circulation).

There are a number of different hydrotherapy treatment that are base on a premise that is similar. They call it hot and cold therapy. There is also a hot and cold stone massage therapy as well to name a few.

This is my K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple sweetie) version.

The first stage of hypothermia is shivering of the body. Shivering is the body's natural reaction to cold. It produces heat.
The nerves carry impulses felt at the skin deeper into the body, where they are instrumental in stimulating the immune system, influencing the production of stress hormones, invigorating the circulation and digestion, encouraging blood flow, and lessening pain sensitivity.

HTH.

How can there be a "Hair Tips" thread and I, not post one that has been a favorite of others and myself as well.

I don't know if you've had the chance to read this yet but I found it quite interesting. It's a thread entitled "Look what I found!!!" it gives a lot of post from another board's member named Yvette who was successful in growing her from shoulder length to almost waist length in buns. Her tips can be modified and applied to all.

Thanks HoneyRockett for post this on LHCF back in the day.

"Look what I found"

Peachtree, Amberskyle, Dontspeakdefeat, Allandra, and Nessa your all very welcome!
smile.gif

Sweetcocoa, Dahllia, and Ladymarmalade...Thanks for the tips you shared.
clap.gif

poke.gif
Everyone, please feel free to add any hair tips that you think of, that you might come across, or any classic tip that has withstand the test of time that you feel needs to be archived. I'm hoping that we can have a central place where hair tips can be found, somewhat, easily.
trampoline.gif

Ladies here are all the tips from Marvin's site. It does take a while to load so for those who hate waiting......................tada

1. You should trim you hair every 6-8 weeks along with your relaxer. 2. I don't recommend that anyone use a no-lye relaxer and I personally don't use no-lye relaxers because they cause dryness.3. You can relax and color on the same day, but the color would have to be semi-permenant. I recommend a good conditioning cream every 2-3 days to moisturize and add shine to the hair. 4. Highlights don't have to be touched up every 6 weeks, you can have 2,4,or 6 inches of new growth before you get a touch up. 5. If you have gray hair that turns yellow, use a yellow out shampoo and/or conditioner.6. You should wrap you hair at night with a silk scarf. If hair is long enough roller set it every 2 or 3 days.7. If you had roller set your hair the night before, when you wake up, you should wrap your hair, eat breakfast, shower dress and comb out before you walk out of the door.8. Try to shampoo and condition your hair at least once a week.9. Never shampoo without conditioning.10. Roller setting is healthier than blow-drying.11. Whether your hair is relaxed or not, your hair will be healthier without regular blow-drying and curling. 12. Always have relaxer or color done professionally.13. If you have to do one or the other yourself do the relaxer and wait until you can have the color done professionally.14. If you have to relax your own hair, apply some base on your scalp and ends lightly to protect them. Only apply the relaxer to the new growth.15. If you have hair that has never been relaxed and wish to relax your hair for the first time, have it done professionally.16. The trims apply to all hair textures. Just like a pair of jeans without a hem the ends will fray and split and work it's way up the strand.17. Moisturize your relaxed hair with a conditioning cream every 3 to 4 days if your hair is relaxed.18. Never ever, ever get your haircut when you are mad. Wait until you calm down and have time to think about your cut.19. If you have locks, make sure you twist your hair after every shampoo.20. Do you have an itchy scalp? Apply Sea Breeze to your scalp with a cotton swab before and after shampooing.21. If you need to use dandruff or medicated shampoo always shampoo twice and leave the second shampoo on for 10 minutes to penetrate the scalp, then condition.22. If you need major chemical service, do not walk into any salon. Do some research or get a referral.23. You want permanent color without the commitment of monthly touchups, get highlights. 24. A conditioner is for your hair not your scalp, concentrate on your hair and rinse thoroughly so there isn't an accumulation of product on the scalp.25. When towel drying your hair, be gentle because rough movements can damage the cuticle layer of the hair.26. If you see a color that you like on someone else don't run out and get it without consulting with a professional. It might not be for you. 27. You have used semi-permanent color for a while now you want to go lighter, see a professional, you will have to pre-lighten. Semi-permanent color doesn't lighten easily.28. You have permanent color and you want it lighter. See a professional, it has to be prelightened. Color does not lift color.29. You have questions and concerns about your hair, but your stylist seems aggravated or unconcerned, RUN!!!!!! There should never be a problem consulting with your stylist about YOUR hair.30. Don't shampoo, go under the sun, or swim for at least 48 hours after you're had color. It will fade.31. The relationship that you have with your hairstylist is one of the most important you have. Take care of them.32. Always rinse conditioner out of the hair with the coldest water you can stand, this will close the cuticle layer or the hair. The result is your hair will be shiny, and it will stimulate blood circulation33. Always know how to style your hair when you get home. It will be very frustrating if the style looked great when you left the salon, but you could not recreate it at home.34. Oil your scalp with a castor oil based, hair oil two weeks prior to your relaxer every two to three days. This will lubricate your new growth, which will slow shedding and make the scalp less sensitive during relaxation.

MsPrettyEyes,
Thanks for taking the time to post all the tips. Number 29, especially the second sentence is right on target:

[ QUOTE ]
29. You have questions and concerns about your hair, but your stylist seems aggravated or unconcerned, RUN!!!!!! There should never be a problem consulting with your stylist about YOUR hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good tips..but cold water... OH MY

I guess I'll try it and see if its really a difference

Here's some direct links from a website called Hair Food For Thought. It's a site dedicated to natural hair. The site owner was once relaxed then went natural. Her tips are in essay form with quite a bit of helpful information for those who are relaxed, transitional, big choppers and of course natural. Here are the direct links per subjects that might be of interest. Enjoy!

Hair Care Tips
<ul type="square"> Shampooing
Conditioning
Oiling
Combing and Brushing
Cutting and Trimming
And Other Things [/list]

Styling Tips Some tips in this area are limited due to the extent of her experimentation of the styles but still good infomation availiable.
<ul type="square"> TWA Tips
Not so teeny Afros Tips
Comb coils and Bantu knots Tips
Cornrows and Flat Twists Tips
Two-strand twists/Double-strand twists Tips
Twistouts, Braidouts, and other "Outs" Tips
Roller sets and Straw sets Tips [/list]

Product Tips There are some hair product recipes in here as well.

<ul type="square"> Shampoos Product Tips
Conditioners and Rinses Product Tips
Oils, Butters, Greases, and Pomades Product Tips
Styling Products Tips for Afros big and small
Styling Products Tips for Twists and Braids for out “outs”
Styling Products Tips for Stretching and Straightening [/list]
Common Problems and Questions
<ul type="square"> The Dryness Problem Tips
The Combing/Tangling Problem Tips
The Time and Energy Problem Tips
The Shine Problem Tips
The "Products don't work anymore" Problem Tips