hairTips

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Spagirl, as the kids say YOU TOTALLY ROCK DUDE!!!
Thanks much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you liked the site...just trying to "Help The Sistahs and Brothahs Out"!

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Peebles...I have received so much insight on this forum (thanks Beverly, crew and fellow members!). This is just my way of trying to support and give back. Enjoy!!!
smile.gif

Here is a link to the best vitamin hair chart that I have ever seen to this date. It was previously posted by Supergirl and it gives what vitamin is needed for many specific hair needs. It also gives a listing of foods that contain those vitamin.

Here are 2 tips from natually curly.com as well as links to a whole wealth of tips too numerous to list here:

2 Step Strand test

Is your hair too dry? Take our two-step strand test, then use this guide to give your hair the mega-moisture it craves.

Step One: Pull a strand of hair from your head and grasp it at the root end.
Step Two: Using your other hand, drag your thumb and index fingernails down the last 2 inches of the strand.

Analysis: Hair should curl up, then relax back to its natural shape. If hair stays in a tight curl, it's time for some serious conditioning.

Suggestions: Shampoo every other day with a rich, moisturizing shampoo. Follow by combing a deep conditioning treatment through wet hair. Leave it on the hair for at lest 10 minutes, then rinse. Before styling, aply a leave-in conditioner to keep strands protected.

A Buyer's Guide to Choosing the Right Shampoo
From August 2001 InStyle

Coarse, Kinky Hair: This is the driest hair type, so an ultramoisturizing shampoo is essential, says Edward Morrison or West Hollywood's EDM Salon. Look for ingredients like shea butter and heavy oils such as coconut or macadamia nut, which help to coat the shaft, trapping water. Apply a deep conditioner from roots to ends before and after shampooing.

Thick, Wavy or Curly Hair: This hair type tends to be dry, so you want a rich, creamy shampoo formulated with gentle detergetns such as sodium laureth sulfate and water-binding humectants like propylene glycol. Wait an extra day between washings to allow your scalp's natural oils to condition hair and prevent drying, suggests Mark Garrison of the Mark Garrison Salon in New York City. Apply a deep conditioner with cuticle-smoothing proteins both before and after shampooing.

Dry, damaged hair: Choose creamier shampoos formulated with a mild detergent such as sodium laureth sulfate, plus rich conditioning agents such as shea butter or lanolin, which smooth the hair shaft, defuse static electricity, and improve combability. After shampooing, apply a sizable dollop of an ultramoisturizing conditioner (look for shea butter, natural oils and proteins) from roots to ends. Leave it on for five to 20 minutes before rinsing.

tips
More tips
Even more tips

Here are some gems I dug up from the past with some information that will, as some have said, have you wanting to take notes. I was so excited that I bumped and made links on other thread to these gems but I'm compelled to post them here hoping to keep a better track of them. The tips found on the 1st thread are tips coming from Sassygirl and Iris under the Ideas for the forum dictionary thread.

And tips from BronxDiva in definitions form in a thread called DEFINITIONS/TERMINOLOGY .

Check the threads out for your self and you will be amazed at their hard work.

up.gif
up.gif

Here is a tip from Curl.biz web site. The tips are said to be curl hair care tips for the multi ethnic woman. Areas covered are shampooing, conditioning and curl maintenance tips. Just when you think you've read all there is to read curl.biz offers you a little something extra.

Here are most of the tip from frizzoff.com I came across these tips when viewing a link posted by Alli. Though these tips can cater to our curly/wavy hair members, a few tips don't cater to a desire for longer hair. The gist of those tips are still insightful.

Curly Hair Solutions Hair Tips

1.Well conditioned hair is quite easy to detangle.

2.Incorrect applications of perming or straightening solutions can dissolve the hair fibres and lead to breakage. Take care of your hair.

3.A lack of protein in your diet will affect the colour of your hair. Lower amounts of protein will change the colour from black to orangey red.

4.Healthy hair can be affected by poor nutrition. Don't neglect protein in your diet.

5.Using a cloth covered elastic band to hold a ponytail will protect the hair from breakage.

6.For oily hair, use a gentle shampoo but leave it on your hair for a longer period of time rather than using a harsh clarifying shampoo.

7.If you're using a strong, clarifying shampoo, it could be stripping your hair of essential oils.

9.How often you wash your hair depends on the quality of the shampoo you use. If your shampoo is pH balanced and gentle enough, you can use every day.

10.While stretching your hair with a brush, apply heat starting off at the roots with a good grip, give a tug and stretch it straight.

11.Rub shampoo through the sides and back of your head first before the top.

12.Rub your shampoo in your hands before you put it on your head.

14.Correcting the pH balance of the hair can repair hair cuticles. This results in great styles every day.

15.Cutting the hair strand with scissors rather than a razor blade will ensure the tips will be controlled much longer without fraying.

16.Cutting long, curly hair doesn't mean a short or layered hairstyle. Every curl should be snipped individually at the tips leaving hair long and healthy.

17.Cutting the damaged frizzy ends will give a healthy overall look to the hair.

18.Controlling the pH balance will dramatically improve the condition of curly hair. Healthy hair should have a pH value of 4.5 - 5.5.

19.Tight, curly hair will have movement when it is treated to a Tunnel Cut.

20.Thick, curly hair doesn't move easily. Looser curls will have movement or even bounce.

21.Careful planning is required in the design of bangs as they shrink and change constantly.

22.Your stylist should avoid being too accurate when cutting, each curl needs to be assessed and cut independently to achieve a natural look.

23.When cutting curly hair, remember it shrinks - so don't go too short.

24.When shampooing, remember that the thicker the hair, the longer you need to rinse in order to remove all the shampoo.

25.With thick, dense hair, it is important to allow the shampoo to work its way down to the root area so it can absorb excess oils on the scalp. Don't forget to rinse well!

26.Split ends don't affect curly hair as much as straight hair. The hair doesn't split all the way up the hair shaft.

27.Wet, healthy hair has the ability to stretch by 40% without breaking. When released hair should return to its original state.

28.Sleeping on curly hair - Use a "scrunchy" to hold your hair on top of your head in a loose ponytail as it will allow for more surface area to sleep on. Your curls will still look fresh and full in the morning.

29.When choosing a shorter hairstyle for fine curly hair, remember that it will require more styling maintenance and more frequent cutting.

30.Cowlicks or flat crowns can be trained away by styling and pulling the hair at the roots against the direction that the hair grows.(Spigirl note: This method is useful for placement, direction of the placement, of braids and curlers for braidout or roller styles.

31.Shorter styles are better suited to fine wavy hair in the summer as the humidity will help support the curls.

32.Don't cut it too short. Generally, fine hair shrinks a little, and thick hair shrinks a lot.

33.Fine hair is quite porous (the ability to absorb water) but does not hold it long (it dries fast). This must be taken into account for all chemical processes.

34.Fine hair is very weather sensitive - in winter, indoor heating can loosen curls and straighten hair - in summer, humidity will add fullness, body and bounce to curls.

35.On fine hair, conditioners should be used at a minimum to avoid adding weight. Avoid the root area and focus on the driest ends only.

36.Colour that reflects shine or light will create the illusion of thickness in thin hair.

37.Adding the right colour or highlights to finer curly hair will add more texture, body and fullness.

38.The material used in the design of a "Bone" Comb will assist in eliminating static and tangles.
39.Switching from a wide-tooth to a fine-tooth comb on detangled wet hair treated with Curl Keeper™ will encourage more defined ringlets.

40.If loose hair is not removed, matting occurs.

41.Combing clean, wet hair with a wide tooth comb is the most effective way of removing loose hair that contributes to tangles.

Re: hairTips- Relaxed hair tips

Here are some hair tips for relaxed hair from Ourhair.net.

Relaxed Hair Tips

The structure and chemical make-up of highly textured hair is unique, resulting in special conditioning and styling needs. In particular, highly textured hair has fewer cuticle layers, making it somewhat less dense than other hair types. If not properly cared for, it will be prone to dryness and breakage. Add regular styling, relaxers, colors or other chemical processes and it quickly becomes damaged, unmanageable, and loses it natural shine.

Types of Relaxers
Sodium hydroxide alkali relaxers are thick creams containing 1.5-2.5% active and have a very high ph range of 12-14. Because of their aggressive nature, these relaxers require scalp protectors, such as petrolatum, to protect the skin and hairline. The relaxer is followed by a neutralization process, which oxidizes and restores the hair's ph because high ph can cause the hair to swell and break.
Guanidine hydroxide relaxers tend to be less damaging than sodium hydroxide relaxers. These products, however, still damage the hair and de-fat the scalp and therefore require conditioning treatments before and after. Guanidine hydroxide relaxers are formed in situ by mixing calcium hydroxide cream with guanidine carbonate "activator" solution.
Thioglycolates work on the same formulation principles as thioglycolate permanent waves. With a ph of 9-9.5, these are also considered to be less damaging, yet still require a neutralization step. Thioglycolate relaxers are usually in cream or gel form and can be preceded by a pre-softener.

Choosing Your Stylist
How do you find reputable stylist to relax your hair? I have found that the easiest thing to do is to ask the sister with the head of hair you have been admiring. If her hair looks healthy and feels good (ask before touching) then she probably has a good stylist. Word of mouth is golden. However, if you see relaxed head that looks "jacked up", meaning, thinning or nonexistent hairline, broken, short (not from a hair cut) with relaxer burns on the scalp ask who she goes to so that you know who to avoid. A reputable salon will allow you to sit in on a session with one of their clients or give you a consultation BEFORE beginning work on your hair.

To prepare yourself before your salon visit, keep these things in mind about your stylist:

Before beginning any chemical process, they should check scalp for any abrasions. The lye and other chemicals used in relaxers could be dangerous to your body if leeched through open skin.
The stylist should check the condition of your hair and refuse to do the relaxer if the hair is damaged or weak.
Your stylist should ALWAYS do a STRAND TEST and an allergic reaction test. Many things can alter your hair texture, such as certain medications as well as the age which can alter your relaxer results. These tests should be done before each relaxing treatment even if you have used the same relaxer brand and stylist before.
Not all relaxers are the same. Some are stronger and some are milder. The right type of relaxer should be chosen for your hair type (prior relaxed, virgin, colored, fine, etc.)
You should be draped with a towel, or cape to protect the skin and clothing
Your scalp (and previously relaxed hair) should be protected with a petroleum jelly or thick conditioner.
Your hair should be parted in sections and the stylist should work quickly to avoid burning and over processing.
Your stylist should use a back of a comb or a wooden spatula for application and smoothing of the relaxer.
On virgin hair, the relaxer should be applied to the ends last as they are the oldest part of the hair.
Retouches should be done only on the hair's new growth.
Your stylist should use a timer (preferably with a bell) and only leave the relaxer on for the time as set by your strand test but never longer than the recommended time on the relaxer instructions. It is always better to slightly under process than over. Hair should be checked continuously.
After processing the hair it should be very well rinsed for at least 15 minutes with warm water.
Your hair should be shampooed with a neutralizing shampoo not just regular shampoo. A neutralizing shampoo stops the lye's reaction with your hair and helps the hair to set in it's new straight shape. Some stylists will use regular shampoo to save money, but at your hair's expense. Watch them as they work.
Your hair should be rinsed very well again to remove all traces of the relaxer from your hair.
Before drying your hair, your hair should be deep conditioned to add moisture and help restore it's elasticity.
Your hair should be handled gently as it is dried and styled. if at all possible, the stylist should use a low heat setting to avoid frying the hair.
You should be taught how to care for your relaxed hair and they should suggest products for you to use. Also, they should inform you of what to do should you see breakage, thinning or hairline loss.
Relaxer Do's and Don'ts
While many women relax their hair at home, you'll get the best results by consulting a stylist who is professionally licensed and has experience doing relaxers. Before you get your hair relaxed, make sure the stylist understands the needs of your specific hair type and length. Incorrect use includes application of these products too frequently, and leaving the solutions on the hair or scalp too long. Getting a good relaxer is only one part of the process. Follow-up care is essential to make sure that your weakened hair shafts do not become irrevocably damaged, resulting in hair breakage and loss.

Relaxed hair should be handled with extreme care and gentleness. Extreme heat, bending (as with curlers) and blow-drying should be avoided. Never blow-dry the hair while it is dripping wet. Unless a professional is using them, you risk drying out and breaking your hair.
Hair should not be relaxed bone straight or two within an inch of it's life. That is a sure fire way of ending up with NO hair.
Wash your hair at least twice a week. Water adds moisture. Moisture assures vitality and helps to maintain your hair's strength.
When you get a touchup, either your stylist or you should apply a pre-conditioner onto the already processed hair. It will help to prevent over processing which can aggravate dryness and lead to breakage. Use the mildest product available. Bone straight relaxed hair will mean no body, hard to curl hair that will get thinner and thinner over time.
Be sure to apply the relaxer at least one-eighth of an inch from the scalp down to the ends of the hair or during a touchup where the new growth meets the relaxed hair. Avoid overlapping! Some relaxers are activated by heat, so the hair closest to your scalp will straighten the fastest.
The use of conditioners and moisturizing pomades are advised. Because the natural protection against moisture loss is removed when you relax your hair, you need to add moisture and use protects that help to hold moisture in so that the hair remains flexible and less likely to break.
If you find that your hair is already damaged for misuse of relaxers or styling appliances, the only true route is to trim it. Hanging on to it for the sake of added length is not a good idea and can actually contribute to added breakage.
Have your hair trimmed regularly. Ideally, you should have your hair trimmed each time you get a relaxer. Your ends are the most fragile part of your hair and a regular trim helps to maintain the look and health of your hair.
Although many products property to "mend damaged hair", once a hair shaft has been shredded and torn, nothing save a pair of scissors is going to get rid of the damage. Your hair will look better and you will feel better about it.
At night, re-moisturize your hair ends with a cream hair dress. Style your hair into a protective style, like braids or a tucked bun and wear a scarf or sleep on a satin pillowcase. This will aid in reducing hair breakage, maintaining moisture balance and protecting your hairstyle.
When you condition your hair, you should always use a "leave-in" conditioner for at least five to ten minutes. At least once a month, you should do deep conditioning treatments. Some of women do it every time they wash their hair.
Opinion varies on touch up frequency. Some experts feel that touch-ups of relaxer should be every two-to-three months faithfully. Still others advocate touching up only once or twice a year. The length of time between touchups will vary based on hair texture, hair length and hair health. If the hair is only mildly relaxed, you can touch up less frequently than someone who opted for a bone straight look. Consult with your stylist to find out how often you should touch up.
Unless you are having a virgin application (first time relaxing) of a relaxer done, never have relaxer cream to the ends of your hair. You will fry your hair, damage it beyond repair, or break it off completely.
If you must color your hair, only use semi-permanent hair color. All permanent hair color contains some level of peroxide that can damage your hair.

Re: hairTips- Quidad wavy or curly hair tips

These tip are in guide form from Quidad. This guide (previously posted by Pressncurl) made me stop and give some thought to what I was reading. A couple of times I thought they were "Missing the boat" but at other times I found a few things to be "Thought provoking". Here are most of the thing to be found on the Quidad Curl Guide :

Guide Contents
<ul type="square"> Who is Quidad
Get to Know you Curl
Curl Patterns and Textures (helped me to better understand Andre's hair types)
Curl talk (frizz, brittle, splitend, etc.)
What about humidity? (talks about alcohols...made me go Hmmmm
scratchchin.gif
)
Shampoo 101: Tips and Products
Feed your Head: Conditioning Tips and Products
Deep Conditioning: The Curl Survival Strategy
Styling Curly Hair: Hair Tips and Products
Special Tips for Colored, Permed, Straightened or Mature Hair
The Styling Process for Curls Styled Straight
What is Carving and Slicing (trim method) [/list]

Pandora -
I think it was you on the other hair tips thread who suggested an easy way to airdry in the ponytail method. Thanks for your tip about making several ponytails using elastic (I'm using ouchless bands) when hair is damp, rolling them up on magnetic rollers while in the ponytail and airdrying them. I did this to my bangs and it was great in keeping the roots straight and smooth. My bangs were always a challenge in airdrying and this is an easy way to actually straighten them. I will do this to my whole head soon.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Pandora -
I think it was you on the other hair tips thread who suggested an easy way to airdry in the ponytail method. Thanks for your tip about making several ponytails using elastic (I'm using ouchless bands) when hair is damp, rolling them up on magnetic rollers while in the ponytail and airdrying them. I did this to my bangs and it was great in keeping the roots straight and smooth. My bangs were always a challenge in airdrying and this is an easy way to actually straighten them. I will do this to my whole head soon.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Great tips Iris! Thanks for sharing. Your right Pandora's Ponytail Curling Method is crossed linked on the "How To's" instructional thread.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Spagirl for the tips. I'm saving all of them!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your welcome...Get them while they're hot. Some sites are subject to change.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the tips! Yes the site was taking too long to load so I'll try it again later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stormy, if your referring to Marvin's website tips MsPrettyEyes posted all 34 of them on page 3 of this thread.

[ QUOTE ]
Pandora -
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

you are welcome

the cold water really isn't that bad. In fact I prefer it over a warm water rinse when it is hot outside. Plus using water that is too hot strip oils from the hair and skin.

Here is a tip that was taken from VitualHaircare.com.au

Brushing Tips from the Professionals

So you've tried everything and still can't get it right. Maybe it's time to take a few simple ideas from some of the hairdressing industry's best!

Regular brushing with a ball-tipped bristle brush through to the scalp will stimulate the blood supply and promote healthy growth. You must use a ball-tipped bristle or scratching will occur.

Brushing not only removes dust and grime from your hair, but also helps to distribute the natural oils that your hair needs for protection along its lengths.

Never use a brush on wet hair, always use a wide-toothed comb.
Heavy wooden brushes are easier to straighten hair with.
Moulded brushes are much lighter so are easier on the arm muscles!
The best finishing brush for that smooth silky look is the large paddle brush.
Bennie Tognini, top session stylist, president of the Australian Fellowship of Hairdressers and owner of the famous salon "Tognini's" in Brisbane has given us a few of his secrets to good brushing:

"To brush your scalp without scratching it, use a brush that has soft plastic knobs on the end of the bristles. This also stimulates and lifts a dry scalp. Denman brushes from England are the best flat brushes and I prefer one with 9 rows of bristles. This allows for more control of the hair when blowdrying to produce a higher quality and smoother finish. Beware of imitation brushes made of plastic, which tend to fall apart quickly.

"The size of the brush really depends on the length of the hair. Finer hair should use a brush that is the size smaller to give more support than a large brush. The smaller the brush, the greater the root lift, bristles should be more open and not closer together to allow the air and heat to penetrate the hair".

"When using a round brush, each section should be less than the width of the brushes to avoid tangles".

"Cleaning brushes is very important and can be done by using another strong bristle brush in a criss-cross action. Don't soak wooden brushes in water but rinse and use a brush or comb to take out the build-up". Shampoo can be used to wash bristles"

Here are some conditioner tips from Virtualhaircare.com.au:

Condition your hair tips:

Conditioners and what they do "Conditioner" is a general term that we use to categorise four different types of strengthening and moisturising products. Some are "surface acting" in that they provide temporary protection and strength to the hair. These are a bit like a sheath in that the product doesn't penetrate the hair, it provides a microscopically thin protective film giving smoothness and combability (a true conditioner). This is different to treatments which penetrate the hair, restoring and maintaining internal strength. Conditioners are generally used every time you shampoo whilst treatments are applied either by you or your hairdresser when needed. There are four types of products:
Reconstructors to make the hair stronger (treatment)
Rinses and acidifiers to close the cuticle and seal the hair (conditioner)
Moisturizers balance the moisture content of the cortex (treatment)
Thermal Protectors to prevent heat damage before it starts. (conditioner/finishing product).
At certain times of the year, you may find that your scalp becomes dry and flaky and it is then a good idea to work the conditioner into the scalp as a moisturizer.

A common complaint about conditioners is that they "weigh the hair down". This can be caused by:

Conditioner being incorrectly applied to the scalp rather than the lengths and ends of the hair which is where it is needed.
The use of way too much product or not rinsing it out thoroughly.
The use of the wrong type of conditioner for your hair type. Check how to the How to condition your Hair section or, if you have fine hair, check out our fine hair section for a few more tips.
Sharon Blain from The Art of Hair gives us this little tip "When conditioning your hair don't forget to towel dry it very well prior to applying any conditioner. If the hair is very wet this will stop the conditioner from being absorbed deep into the hairs shaft. A treatment once a month is recommended to help prevent dehydration and damage."

What is a Treatment and when should I use one?

So your hair is in bad shape, its splitting or breaking off at worse or dry and frizzy, what should you be doing?
Getting a treatment is the answer but which one and why?

First of all know your basic facts on what a treatment is:

Treatments are often confused with conditioners, or the term "conditioner" is used as a generalisation to categorise four different types of strengthening and moisturising products. True conditioners are "surface acting in that they provide temporary protection and strength to the hair. They are a bit like a sheath, in that the product does not penetrate the hair, it provides a microscopically thin protective film giving smoothness and combability. This is different to treatments which penetrate the hair, restoring and maintaining internal strength.

Conditioners are generally used every time you shampoo while treatments are applied either by you or your professional hairdresser when needed (no more than once a week normally).

The two types of treatments are: Part of this was previously posted by Nonie(thanks!)on another thread from a different site.

Reconstructors which make the hair stronger and are generally protein based. These are for you if you have chemically damaged hair (i.e. from a perm or colour) or breaking or weak hair. They are often a combination of protein and moisture as pure protein treatments used incorrectly can leave the hair brittle. After using this type of treatment don't expect your hair to feel great as they work internally and you may still need a conditioner to make your hair feel smooth. They are most often found at the salon and used during chemical processes. Don't use protein based treatments within a week either side of a colour as they can cause colour to fade or not 'take' properly in some instances.
Moisturisers the most common type of treatment, balance the moisture content of the cortex (middle of your hair). Great for frizzy, dry hair and those of you with curly hair that lacks bounce. Will treat all damage conditions from chemical to physical (i.e. from colouring to over drying or heating your hair to sun damage).

On the other hand, conditioners are:

Rinses and acidifiers used to close the cuticle and seal the hair i.e. make it feel smooth and easily combed. If you have coloured hair a conditioner is a must with every shampoo to lock in your colour and make it last longer. Also if your hair is mid to long they are also necessary to nourish those areas that the natural oils just don't get to. Really only those of us with very short non chemically processed hair don't need a conditioner.
Thermal protectors (Conditioner/finishing product) are used to prevent heat damage before it starts. If your hair is prone to damage or you use heated appliances on you hair regularly make sure your styling product contains this type of protection.
So how do I apply them properly?

As with most products, treatments should be applied using the instructions on the pack or by your professional hairdresser.

The amount needed also varies greatly depending on the product and how much hair you have.

Do not leave treatments in your hair for longer than instructed, especially if using a protein-based treatment as these will have no extra effect, and may even make your hair brittle.

If your hair is in really bad shape a twice a week treatment may be needed, but generally for fair to poor conditioned hair once a week is recommended. For general maintenance go to once a fortnight or once a month.

Remember your hair can only take in so much extra nourishment, over doing it on the treatment side means you are wasting your money as it is simply rinsing down the plug!

When you need to treat your hair:

Certain times of year and weather conditions or the various stresses and excesses that we put our hair through can lead to damaged/dry hair, and because a treament does not work over night it is a good idea to either do regular

What do Thermal Protectors do?

You will often see thermal protectors listed as being within other hairdressing products or as a stand-alone product itself. What are they though, and why would you need one?

If you blow-dry your hair or apply heat to it in any way e.g. with tongs or flat irons, it is essential to protect your hair from the long term damage that that heat is doing. Heat damage can be just as severe as chemical damage leading finally to hair breakage. This is where the thermal protector comes in.

When found as a stand-alone product you would not even know that you had put anything in your hair. You may hate that sticky feeling, but your hair will be protected and they also add body and shine.

If you use a thermal brush (one with a metal centre, that gets hot from the hot air of the blow dryer) it is especially important to use a thermal protector as they can get very hot and scorch if you're not careful!

Virtualhaircare Tip: There are some excellent new hair dryers out on the market, these include two new award-winning products from Sunbeam, some of which use the new ionic technology to minimise hair damage. The ones we would recommend are the Headlines 1800W Dryer and the excellent Salon Finish Pro

Back