Hair thickness potential

Brownie

I've been wanting to post this for a while. I tend to look at everybody's hair now---black, white...
smile.gif
. From what I've read on the board, most of us want

---super thick hair like Teenie, Adrienne...etc..

But from what I've noticed is that everybody has a different grade of hair, which has the potential to be a certain thickness. Okay hang with me now. I've noticed that even white and Hispanic women don't all have thick hair---some have thin, some have medium, and some have thick hair.

I really noticed something recently. I used to texturize my hair. I know this lady with bone straight hair. Okay, my texturized hair is a thinner texture/grade than her bone straight hair
shocked.gif
. I couldn't believe that her bone straight hair could be thicker than mine, but then again, that's just my hair---obviously, my natural texture is a finer texture than her natural texture. If I had bone straight hair, it would be stuck to my head and thin as can be.

I'm just trying to say, in a round about way, that all our hair is different. Not everybody is going to have super thick hair or ends no matter how many times you chop your hair off and try to grow it out again. All you can do is take care of your hair and ends the best you can and try to make your hair look the best it can for your hair type, whether that be thin, medium or inbetween.

All comments are welcome.

BTW, some people have had success making their hair look thicker with B-5. I believe Gelation can do that also.

I think I see your point, and I agree for the most part.

But I have noticed that my hair will look thicker or thinner depending on products and technique. If I press my hair with ORS olive oil, it comes out straighter, but looks a little thinner. If I press my hair with Liv, it seems to look a lot fuller, which I like, 'cause I like big hair.

And I'd say that even a person with kind of thin African-American hair would probably still have thicker looking hair than a Caucasian or Hispanic person who had thinnish hair.

But, yes, genetics does play a certain part in just how much hair you have on your head as far as hair thickness potential. But even then, it all depends on what your hair has been through. My sister, who at one time had hair identical to mine, now has hair that is waaaaaaaay thinner. But perhaps if she started taking really great care of her hair, the thickness would come back.

I agree with you and was recently explaining this to my friend the other day. I think that 2 healthy heads of hair can be drastically different, with regards to thickness. However, as Nay mentioned, I believe that ethnic hair, meaning curly, coarse or kinky hair, tends to look thicker just by default.

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:

But, yes, genetics does play a certain part in just how much hair you have on your head as far as hair thickness potential. But even then, it all depends on what your hair has been through. My sister, who at one time had hair identical to mine, now has hair that is waaaaaaaay thinner. But perhaps if she started taking really great care of her hair, the thickness would come back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. That goes for hair length also. The bone straight lady I was talking to says she used to have midback length hair, but now, her hair is bottom of neck length. She says she's run into too many bad stylists. I gave her the name of this board, but I don't think she's ever checked it out.

BTW Nay, your hair is pretty and thick
smile.gif

I totally agree - everyone's head is different. I am one of those people that just doesn't have that many follicles. So if every hair was healthy and 'on point' my hair would still not look like some of the ladies on here - even with all the biotin, msm, panothenic acid (B5), no heat, protective styles and relaxer stretching.

I've seen quite a few people say that someone should cut 'thin ends' (some people have been on target) but I've realized that some people just have thin hair in the first place. No matter how much I cut - it would always look thin.

[ QUOTE ]
calbear said:
I totally agree - everyone's head is different. I am one of those people that just doesn't have that many follicles. So if every hair was healthy and 'on point' my hair would still not look like some of the ladies on here - even with all the biotin, msm, panothenic acid (B5), no heat, protective styles and relaxer stretching.

I've seen quite a few people say that someone should cut 'thin ends' (some people have been on target) but I've realized that some people just have thin hair in the first place. No matter how much I cut - it would always look thin.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your hair is thin, then you are proof that hair can be long, thin, healthy and beautiful. I love your hair pictures!
smile.gif
I love Nay's photos, too. You both have two different types of hair, but both are beautiful to me!
up.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
[ QUOTE ]
calbear said:

[/ QUOTE ]

If your hair is thin, then you are proof that hair can be long, thin, healthy and beautiful. I love your hair pictures!
smile.gif
I love Nay's photos, too. You both have two different types of hair, but both are beautiful to me!
up.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I always wished I had that thick hair but I've finally accepted the fact that I don't. My goal is to work with what I got - and MAKE IT FABULOUS ;-)

Your hair is very pretty cal. Keep up the great work!
smile.gif

I think hair thickness is mostly genetic, but certain products and even vitamins can increase the diameter of each strand and make it appear thicker.

[ QUOTE ]
calbear said:
Thank you. I always wished I had that thick hair but I've finally accepted the fact that I don't. My goal is to work with what I got - and MAKE IT FABULOUS ;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome! I like that philosophy and I feel exactly the same way. My hair isn't thick, but I know that it can be long and healthy and strong!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
calbear said:

[/ QUOTE ]MEEEEEeeeee
crazy.gif
whyme.gif
I have never had thick hair, and I never will my paternal grandmother who probably had 1c hair if there is such a thing always had a see through pony tail,that coupled with my mom's really fine strands created the ultimate thin head meee.. my older sister who has 4b/c hair has double the amt of hair that I have
smile.gif
in thickness and in length in the same amt of growth time even though our genttics are basically the same.
perplexed.gif
So I guess I'll never have Teenie's hair but I hope to make it just as healthy,right?

my hair has always been thick and as it grows longer it seems fuller and thicker i in sum ways would like it to be a litle bit thinner it would be more manageable.but i guess it is tha way it is for a reason tha vitamins and genetic prob. have sumthin to do wit it.
wink.gif

Back