HAIR LENGTH vs. BODY SIZE

LivingDoll

Hi all, I am on a mission to grow out my short 'do to BSL by next June 09. I've had hair that length before and thinking back, I remember the comments I would get as a petite woman (5'1", 125lbs). Stylists in particular would say things like, "you don't need all this hair!" or "you have such a small cute face, you should go shorter". I know it's about personal preference and I personally like my hair REALLY LONG or REALLY SHORT. I think their comments had a big influence on how I perceived myself and why I cut my hair the last time (although I've been going back and forth between cutting short and growing out for 15 years now).

What do you think about hair length vs. body size?

I think that very long hair on short and chubby can make a girl look squat. I also think that it depends on the proportions of the girl.

I'm very small...your height but less weight with a small frame= petite.
I also have a long 'ballerina' neck so a short style looks nice on me.

However, I would like to have long hair for now. I agree it might be overpowering but we'll see. My hair's thickness is medium. I like MBL but somewhere between BSL and MBL would be fine. I wonder what a google search would bring up on this issue hmmm...

I don't think it will look bad at all. I believe it's all in the style of the person. It's also how they pull that length off. If you're really short, your hair shouldn't be all one length because you run the risk of looking like Cousin It. I think if the style is nice (maybe layers or something) It should be fine. If you have a small face, you may want the front cut some to flatter your face. If you have a small face and lots of hair (especially if it's thick hair) your face could be over powered by the hair, and that wouldn't be flattering either. HTH:yep:

Don't let others tell you what you should look like. You are the director of your show, not them.:yep:

I'm very small...your height but less weight with a small frame= petite.
I also have a long 'ballerina' neck so a short style looks nice on me.

However, I would like to have long hair for now. I agree it might be overpowering but we'll see. My hair's thickness is medium. I like MBL but somewhere between BSL and MBL would be fine. I wonder what a google search would bring up on this issue hmmm...

Taino, whats the longest hair you've had? Did you experience comments like that too? I think generally, people always have negative stuff to say to us petites unintentionally (they don't perceive it to be negative or hurtful).

I don't think it will look bad at all. I believe it's all in the style of the person. It's also how they pull that length off. If you're really short, your hair shouldn't be all one length because you run the risk of looking like Cousin It. I think if the style is nice (maybe layers or something) It should be fine. If you have a small face, you may want the front cut some to flatter your face. If you have a small face and lots of hair (especially if it's thick hair) your face could be over powered by the hair, and that wouldn't be flattering either. HTH:yep:

Don't let others tell you what you should look like. You are the director of your show, not them.:yep:

I definitely agree with the layering in the front. Otherwise it would be just having hair for the sake of having hair (and that's not sexy). It should be flattering.

Beautifully spoken! Thanks!

ITA. It depends on how your hair is cut and how you wear it. I am short and nowhere near petite and have found that longer hair makes me look so much better. It lengthens by neck and detracts from the chubbiness in my cheeks. My advice for anyone contemplating not growing their hair because of size is to go to a wig store and see how different long lengths look on you (and take some blunt friends, if you need other opinions).

I am your weight and height exactly and I have found that layering works best for my longer hairstyles to keep me from looking weighed down. I keep bangs and short layers around my face and also curls and a little bit of volume work better in comparison with straight styles. I attached a pic of my hair at apl. I'm wearing a longer style now with braids (protective styling) I have my face shaped with bangs and it looks good.

Attachments

• Ott.jpg
    Ott.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 37
yeah i agree, it can make some look like cousin It.

prolly what no one in this thread wants to hear but imma say it anywayz.....

that's why being natural can be such a wonderful option for women. :grin:

you can go from shorty shrunk to long, flowing Rapunzel in a matter of a couple hours.

why limit yourself or your happiness simply because of what other people think?

pick your options then do what's best for you.

I dunno, I used to be very small but I am more a normal weight now but still have a small frame. Because I have a small face aswell, long hair sort of drounds me so the best solution is some choppy bits at the front that curl under the chin to frame a lil face similar to this:

070411_2_406.jpg

hg_calender10_407.jpg

I think people should do what they want but i believe they have point

you can go from shorty shrunk to long, flowing Rapunzel in a matter of a couple hours.

I'm loving your hair in your siggy pic! I've thought about that. My natural hair is kinda strange...not real kinky, not real curly...I have no idea of how I would handle that.

I think longer hair on a fuller figured woman make her look slimmer....

Not necessarily. It depends on your idea of full-figured. Unfortunately, I fall into the obese category (and after my doctor's visit yesterday, that's going to be history, but that's another topic for another day), and my hair is almost armpit length. Yet it is semi-fine and soft and having lost weight in the past, my current length and volume looks better on a smaller face.

I dunno, I used to be very small but I am more a normal weight now but still have a small frame. Because I have a small face aswell, long hair sort of drounds me so the best solution is some choppy bits at the front that curl under the chin to frame a lil face similar to this:

070411_2_406.jpg

hg_calender10_407.jpg

I think people should do what they want but i believe they have point

Loving the face framing...the thing is, I had layers when people would say that! It seemed like a matter of envy?

Hey LynnieB,

I've been meaning to ask you...you BC'd in 5/07 and already about 7 mos later you are that length?! Did you BC'd into a short fro? Do tell...

Taino, whats the longest hair you've had? Did you experience comments like that too? I think generally, people always have negative stuff to say to us petites unintentionally (they don't perceive it to be negative or hurtful).

The longest hair was APL or a weeeebit past since I've been in this country...never BSL though. But when I lived in Haiti and had a perm my hair was longer. Can't quite confirm but folks who see me today say my hair was longer back home. :ohwell:

What comments were you referring to? I never had anyone say something that I perceive to be negative or that my hair was overpowering but I will tell you this story. One time I was walking down the street and I overhead two [young] girls saying that I looked like a Q-tip! Bushy hair - skinny body. As I've gotten older, I've filled out more but dang that hurt LOLOLOL

Hey LynnieB,

I've been meaning to ask you...you BC'd in 5/07 and already about 7 mos later you are that length?! Did you BC'd into a short fro? Do tell...

naw lady, i transitioned for 15 months before i chopped - skipped right over the twa stage :grin: in fact, in this month of February i am officially celebrating 2 years of "new growth" :)

I'm 5 ft and I love long hair......I have always had long hair and as long as it grows I'm keeping the length......Men love it .. My husband....My Father...The only comments I get are from women who don't have hair......( Not directed at anyone here)!!!

Just like the only people that make comments about my weight and being petite are bigger women....

I 've learned to do what makes me happy.....Long hair is something that every black women can not achieve because they haven't been educated....Some women secretly hate on each other....So I do what makes Traycee happy!!!

Yeah, I think it has to do w/the cut too! :yep:

I'm 5 ft and I love long hair......I have always had long hair and as long as it grows I'm keeping the length......Men love it .. My husband....My Father... The only comments I get are from women who don't have hair......( Not directed at anyone here)!!!

Just like the only people that make comments about my weight and being petite are bigger women....

I 've learned to do what makes me happy.....Long hair is something that every black women can not achieve because they haven't been educated....Some women secretly hate on each other....So I do what makes Traycee happy!!!

:lachen: So true. ITA w/you. Then, those same women who are not that much taller than you have a long weave the next week. Go figure.

Plus, I think I have seen some smaller Asian women w/super long hair. I'm talking waist length and it didn't make them look shorter. :nono: It was very sexy.

Back