Hair Care Myths

BeautifulFlower

I am trying to compile a list of common hair care myths among black women to give to my sister!

Any ideas...

So far this is what I have:

• Trimming or cutting hair does NOT grow hair long. As mentioned above, hair growing and hair retention is not the same thing and have nothing to do with each other. Trimming or cutting accomplishes three things:
    • Defining a hair style or shape
    • Neat, straight (or blunt-cut) ends
    • Eliminating chemical or heat damaged hair (thin or split ends)
  • Split ends are not uneven ends. Split ends are just that, a hair that has been split in two at the tip of the hair. Most people debate that hair will split up the entire hair if not cut. I do not believe this at all. I believe it will split up and off to the side before it goes all the way up. Think about it! If you paper in two, it does not split in a straight line. I doubt if hair is any different.
  • Grease, oil, and oil sheen sprays do not help hair from breaking. It will add shine and clog scalp pores. Moisture (water) and protein (amino acids) will keep hair from breaking.

Greasing the scalp does not make hair grow. Keeping it clean and stimulating the scalp aids in hair growth. Stimulating can include using products, massaging or scritching, and regular exercise (heat escaping the body thru the head).

Greasing the scalp does not make hair grow. Keeping it clean and stimulating the scalp aids in hair growth. Stimulating can include using products, massaging or scritching, and regular exercise (heat escaping the body thru the head).

Great thanks!

Anymore...?

just because you aren't RETAINING length, doesn't mean your hair isn't GROWING. gosh if i have to explain this concept one more time to someone IRL i'm going to :wallbash:

Myth: Oils are moisturizing

Oils do not moisturize, water does... instead oils lubricate the hair. Can you tell I grew up in the grease your scalps and hair era!:lachen:

Relaxing your hair every 4 weeks is not NECESSARY to prevent/minimize breakage. You can successfully stretch relaxers months at a time with the proper regimen (deep conditioning, low manipulation, etc.).

.... I remember growing up thinking that if I didn't run to get a relaxer at week 4, my hair would break off.

Relaxing your hair every 4 weeks is not NECESSARY to prevent/minimize breakage. You can successfully stretch relaxers months at a time with the proper regimen (deep conditioning, low manipulation, etc.).

.... I remember growing up thinking that if I didn't run to get a relaxer at week 4, my hair would break off.

Very true! I thought relaxing stopped shedding!

STOP SAYING PERM!
To straighten your hair, you get RELAXERS.

Perms CURL hair, not straighten it.

I like this thread...

Myth: Oils are moisturizing
Oils do not moisturize, water does... instead oils lubricate the hair. Can you tell I grew up in the grease your scalps and hair era!:lachen:

Girl--Blue Magic was my staple!
I grew up around the 'Big Mama's'.
E'rybody got greased down...
One of my girls uses grease in her daughter's hair and the child can't retain any moisture. I told her but she doesn't listen.
She just be like "But--it got coconut oil in it!"

Last edited:
i just threw that dang blue magic outta my house 2-3 weeks ago. i was likle "oh no we wont be needing this anymore". no wonder my daughters hair was so dry.............. lets boycott blue magic, dax (i used to love this), royal crown and there are more that im sure ive gladly forgotten.

^^^
Girl, Royal Crown ain't nothing BUT petroleum.
They should just get rid of all that writing and fancy illustration and slap a big a** sticker on the front of the can that say 'GREASE' !
Just like that: Underlined, in quotations and big bold caps---and just leave it at that.

The old folks in my fam STILL grease. I was looking for q-tips at my aunti's house and found some Blu Magic and Murray's Hair Dressing Pomade. :grin:
The ingredient's said petroleum, mineral Oil and....fragrance...

On another note as a child I was scared to wash my hair more than 'every now and again' because I thought it would fall out. :look: Seriously....

Forgot to mention I am complicit in the madness. My guilty pleasure: OIL SHEEN!
ORS Olive Oil Sheen, that is my ish.

Last edited:
[*]Grease, oil, and oil sheen sprays do not help hair from breaking. It will add shine and clog scalp pores. Moisture (water) and protein (amino acids) will keep hair from breaking. [/LIST]

I disagree. Coconut oil has an affinity for proteins. I use it on my ends for this reason...and because Jade21 said so a loooooong time ago.

:grin:

^^^
Girl, Royal Crown ain't nothing BUT petroleum.
They should just get rid of all that writing and fancy illustration and slap a big a** sticker on the front of the can that say 'GREASE' !
Just like that: Underlined, in quotations and big bold caps---and just leave it at that.

The old folks in my fam STILL grease. I was looking for q-tips at my aunti's house and found some Blu Magic and Murray's Hair Dressing Pomade. :grin:
The ingredient's said petroleum, mineral Oil and....fragrance...

On another note as a child I was scared to wash my hair more than 'every now and again' because I thought it would fall out. :look: Seriously....

we all grew up with same garbage filling our heads...........:nono:
did anyone ever use good fred oil? :lachen: had you runnin around with your hair turning orange...:nono::spinning::lachen::grin::wallbash:

I like this thread...

Girl--Blue Magic was my staple!
I grew up around the 'Big Mama's'.
E'rybody got greased down...
One of my girls uses grease in her daughter's hair and the child can't retain any moisture. I told her but she doesn't listen.
She just be like "But--it got coconut oil in it!"

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:.... oh how I remember the blue magic days! that and the sulfur 8 grease down!:drunk:.. Not knocking sulfur 8 users though..since we know sulfur has growing properties:look:

Last edited:
I disagree. Coconut oil has an affinity for proteins. I use it on my ends for this reason...and because Jade21 said so a loooooong time ago.

:grin:

Coconut oil is special. It can be used for moisture also. The oils I am talking about are your general oils brought in a BBS (African pride, protectiv, etc.)

^^^@ INNERSOUL
lol @ 'sulfur 8 grease down'.
I never used that.
It was primarily Blu Magic and B2B (i think that's the name. Came in a white container with orange writing on it)... I used a couple but those were the main ones.
I can't remember cause when I hit highschool I threw all that ish away and started using 'cremes' and oil moisturizers...

Jesus...I really do think I'm grease-phobic because I was traumatized as a child with that mess. There wasn't an inch of hair that went un-greased.
Root to tip.
You could erect oil derricks all over my head---it was friggin ridiculous...

Last edited:
Back