Hair Care Myths

There is no such thing as BAD hair that NEEDS to be relaxed. You think your hair is BAD, it is probably due to you being a poor stylist:perplexed

There is no such thing as BAD hair that NEEDS to be relaxed. You think your hair is BAD, it is probably due to you being a poor stylist:perplexed

OOOOOOOOOOOH SAY THAT AGAIN!!! it's one thing to say you prefer to relax your hair... entirely another to say it's "bad" because it won't behave like a totally different texture of hair!

This is what makes this site so wonderful. That we as sisters can collectively come together and dispell all of those negative hair myths about our hair!:yep:

There is no such thing as a distinction between "nappy hair" and " good hair".

All hair is "good hair" if you know how to take care of it.:yep:

The only way to get natural hair from a relaxed head of hair is to chop it off. Some people do this and that's cool, but for people like me who prob wouldn't look right with a twa, that's not an option. glad for LHCF for showing me a different light.:yep:

Another myth: Braids make your hair grow.

Truth: Braids help to retain length because they are a low/no-manipulation style. However, if your hair isn't well cared for while in braids, your hair can suffer.

This leads me to another myth ...

Myth: You don't have to care for your real hair while in braids.

Truth: Your real hair still needs regular moisture and proper cleansing while in braids. Conditioning is also important.

Truth: Braids help to retain length because they are a low/no-manipulation style. However, if your hair isn't well cared for while in braids, your hair can suffer.

Truth: Your real hair still needs regular moisture and proper cleansing while in braids. Conditioning is also important.

PLEASE pass these on... hate to admit it but I'm 40+ and just learned this one since joining this site....Before I flip-flopped between "braids make your hair grow" and "braids take your hair out" not realizing it's was how you take care YOUR hair while wearing braids that made all the difference.

most popular i have heard all over the place is

- Washing your hair more than every two weeks is not good for your hair!
- Trim your hair every 6-8 weeks

-Black hair does not grow at the same rate as other "races"
(if this is true why are we told to trim our hair every six-eight weeks?)
to clarify, both of these ideas are misconceptions!!!

- Shoulder length is the longest black people can grow their natural hair

- Black hair is a “HASSLE” to take care of

-That we must only use haircare products marketed for black hair. :rolleyes:

-That Carusos can't be used on black hair (I've heard this)

-That relaxed hair has to be bone straight and have no thickness.

Relaxing your hair every 4 weeks is not NECESSARY to prevent/minimize breakage. You can successfully stretch relaxers months at a time with the proper regimen (deep conditioning, low manipulation, etc.).

.... I remember growing up thinking that if I didn't run to get a relaxer at week 4, my hair would break off.

This is true and your actually in danger of overprocessing the hair that has already been relaxed. Noticed how some of the old hair ends up getting the chemical smeared on it to? That's why its good to stretch until you have a good amount of hair to process.

Relaxing your hair every 4 weeks is not NECESSARY to prevent/minimize breakage. You can successfully stretch relaxers months at a time with the proper regimen (deep conditioning, low manipulation, etc.).

.... I remember growing up thinking that if I didn't run to get a relaxer at week 4, my hair would break off.

This is true and your actually in danger of overprocessing the hair that has already been relaxed. Noticed how some of the old hair ends up getting the chemical smeared on it to? That's why its good to stretch until you have a good amount of hair to process.:yep:

if i had known this last summer, i would DEFINITELY be APL by now :wallbash:

MYTH::pullhair:

1. You can't grow long and strong hair when it's relaxed.
2. Natural hair can't grow long without a relaxer.
3. Relaxer is better for our hair than it being natural. (FORMER hairdresser with 1" of relaxed messy dry hair actually told me this.):nono::nuts:
4.If a Black woman has long hair then she must be mixed. :fishslap:
5.Dipping the ends of the hair in scalding hot water is a great way to moisturize them.
6. If you trim you should have them professionally done, NEVER do them yourself. (That same FORMER hairdresser told me this one too)---There's still apart of me that is afraid to trim my own hair. But the idea of a hairdresser going near my hair with scissors makes me want to :freakout:
7. To be continued.................

black hair isn't "unmanageable". . . if u can't manage it, then u are using the wrong tools. I wouldn't use my fingers to count to a million

it's come up before, i think. but "dirty hair grows faster". . . nope. clean scalp is a healthy scalp. the reason "dirty hair" will "grow faster" is probably because u rarely manipulate it.

it's come up before, i think. but "dirty hair grows faster". . . nope. clean scalp is a healthy scalp. the reason "dirty hair" will "grow faster" is probably because u rarely manipulate it.

WOW! :yep: That's an excellent point - some of these myths do have some truth in them - the are just WRONG. :lachen:

come to think of it, the whole good/bad hair thing. my mom used to smack my cousins every time they said i had good hair because i was mixed.

I disagree. Coconut oil has an affinity for proteins. I use it on my ends for this reason...and because Jade21 said so a loooooong time ago.

:grin:

Coconut oil contains a triglyceride of lauric acid (fatty acid) and actually penetrates and acts to "prevent" damage(protein loss).

Last edited:
Courtesy of my pops: "Washing your hair every week ....you are going to wash all of the hair off of your head" Me: :ohwell:

I agree there is no bad hair. You have to know its needs and how to handle it

you should get a touchup every six weeks, probably at week 5

trim with every relaxer

using a curling iron "seals" damaged ends to repair them

only "Black products" work for Black hair

relaxed hair shouldn't be deep conditioned more than once a month

Back