Hair Care Myths

Girrrrrrl, how do you dip your hair in scalding hot water without getting 3rd degree burns down your back!!? :blush::nono: lol:lachen:

Where'd you hear that? Just curious!

I was on another hair care forum and they said that what they did for their ends. And that just made me cringe.

Myth:

*Black hair can go months without being washed. I used to think the same thing until I learned recently that most of my allergies can be attributed to my dirty hair! :wallbash:

*Washing black hair everyday or more than once a week will wash the oils out of the hair.

only "Black products" work for Black hair

oh man, whole time the "black products" that most people are used to have the cheapest ingredients (mineral oil & petroleum) and then the other products are often overpriced. but bein overpriced is how you convince most black people something is "good quality"

MYTH: Don't stretch, when you relax, all your hair is going to fall out.

Please tell me why it would fall out? WHY? WTF?

I told my coworker I'm getting a touch-up next week at 4 months post and she was like wow "i gotta see how that will turn out..are u scared it might come out?...its not shedding too much?"

No its not shedding too much cause i TREAT my hair and take care of it. She sees one shed hair and runs BACK to the chemical.

Why would it come out? Keeping chemicals OUT of your hair doesnt make your hair fall out.

I'm so sick and tired of folks saying this...:wallbash:

Coconut oil contains a triglyceride of lauric acid (fatty acid) and actually penetrates and acts to "prevent" damage(protein loss).

I edited my original post.
Actually I was thinking about protein loss(in the hair) when I typed that. I wasn't trying to dispute the person I quoted. What I should have typed was tryglyceride of lauric acid {fatty acid}in coconut oil helps prevent protein loss=damage. This is the journal article I was alluding to in case anyone was interested. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...&linkpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&dbfrom=pubmed

The(coconut) protein is a byproduct of the extraction of the coconut oils from the coconut.Clearly for the link you posted, some separation, isolation of the initial extract has occurred to result in an amino acid score of zero.

in case anyone's interested:
isolation and separation of coconut protein from a 1 to 1 mixture of coconut meat and water:
http://ift.confex.com/ift/2005/techprogram/paper_29018.htm

Wow...you've got alot...Thanks!:grin::yep:

MYTH::pullhair:

1. You can't grow long and strong hair when it's relaxed.
2. Natural hair can't grow long without a relaxer.
3. Relaxer is better for our hair than it being natural. (FORMER hairdresser with 1" of relaxed messy dry hair actually told me this.):nono::nuts:
4.If a Black woman has long hair then she must be mixed. :fishslap:
5.Dipping the ends of the hair in scalding hot water is a great way to moisturize them.
6. If you trim you should have them professionally done, NEVER do them yourself. (That same FORMER hairdresser told me this one too)---There's still apart of me that is afraid to trim my own hair. But the idea of a hairdresser going near my hair with scissors makes me want to :freakout:
7. To be continued.................

Myth:

*Black hair can go months without being washed. I used to think the same thing until I learned recently that most of my allergies can be attributed to my dirty hair! :wallbash:

*Washing black hair everyday or more than once a week will wash the oils out of the hair.

Co-sign!:ohwell:
I know I said it before but as a child I thought my hair would fall out if I washed it too much. :ohwell:It's what I was told.:nono:

This is a piggyback to the above comment--but one thing I STILL hear.
MYTH:
Relaxed hair can only be washed every 2 weeks.

Wow - these are great!

Ummmm - Braids made my hair grow........:hide: HAAA!:lachen: But - I know why, of course....

I think I only have one.................

" You need to GREASE your scalp - other wise your hair will fall out.":sad:
WHAAT?

OK. this one confused me.
"Washing black hair everyday or more than once a week will wash the oils out of the hair."

Anytime you wash/lather your hair with Shampoo the sulfates do wash the oils out of the hair. And then the oils need to be put back into the hair.

This doesn't mean that it's a bad idea to wash everyday or more than once a week. It just means we have to be diligent about conditioning and putting the oils back.

Myth: Relaxing your hair makes it "easier" to maintain

If you know how to handle your natural hair, it is actually easier to maintain and retain length. Harsh chemicals of any kind will alter the strength of the hair, therefore increasing the need to use products that try to build the hair back up. I used to think the above myth was fact, but over the years I discovered that the maintenance after relaxing is more complex. Being sure to take care of the line of demarcation when you have NG, handling your protein / moisture balance more agressively and trying to maintain the smooth, straight look makes dealing with my relaxed hair more high maintenance. In the future I definitely will transition back to my natural hair.

You CAN wash your hair more than once every 2-3 weeks, as much as daily if you want.

I used to think it ridiculous to wash daily. I would only do it once a week. :look: I had an ignorant ex that thought "black people don't wash their hair b/c it is nappy." :rolleyes: I have many non-Black friends that don't wash daily but do more than once a week like I used to! LOL.

just because you aren't RETAINING length, doesn't mean your hair isn't GROWING. gosh if i have to explain this concept one more time to someone IRL i'm going to :wallbash:

I'm just now learning this one, don't be mad. :grin: I didn't get why my hair wasn't "growing". Duh, it was growing all right.... then breaking from impoper care, product use and of course, not washing/moisturizing enough. :rolleyes:

Myth: Oils are moisturizing

Oils do not moisturize, water does... instead oils lubricate the hair. Can you tell I grew up in the grease your scalps and hair era!:lachen:

This is what I thought, too, :perplexed until someone started a thread on this forum. My stylist said the same thing. :yep:

Another myth: Braids make your hair grow.

Truth: Braids help to retain length because they are a low/no-manipulation style. However, if your hair isn't well cared for while in braids, your hair can suffer.

This leads me to another myth ...

Myth: You don't have to care for your real hair while in braids.

Truth: Your real hair still needs regular moisture and proper cleansing while in braids. Conditioning is also important.

Good points :clap:

Back