Hair Breakage 101-- just wanted to share!

amorette said:
Sista slick,
you are a gem to have done this thread, it is rich with great info....I have a couple questions: which moisturizers do you use? i just came on this site in february...and I had alot of breakage...when i came on the site and started the vitamins etc the breakage stopped, and my nails grew, and i got 2 inches of growth the first month...now i notice my hair is breaking again just a very little, and it does not seem to be growing...im taking all of the vitamins i have listed on my profile, DCing once a week with Nioxin DC, and aphogee every 6 weeks. My hair is corkscrew curly so it is hard to really tell the growth unless it is wet - 3b i think - and i workout every day so i rinse it or Cowash it daily, then follow that with nioxin leave in conditioner, a coat of castor oil, and then brush into a curly ponytail and airdry ... help - i am dissappointed because i thought the 1.5- 2 inches per month of growth would keep up - and maybe it is still growing like that but im just not retaining because of breakage...i especially notice that the middle of my head looks really short - because it is so curly unstretched it's probably 4 inches...yikes...while some parts on the sides and back reach etiher should or armpit...i want that short part down to my armpit unstretched... help help help :look: :eek: :eek:

awww no prob girl! :kiss:

I have quite a few moisturizers I like to use. For those times I need more protein I go with any one of thse: Salerm 21, Cantu Shea Butter break cure or grow strong, Elasta QP mango butter, and Profectiv Break Free or Mega Growth.

For moisture, I tend to stick with ORS Olive oil, ORS carrot oil, Neutragena Triple Moisture silk touch leave in, and sometimes Luster's S-Curl.

Are your Nioxin products protein heavy? Your conditioner washes should be helping with your moisture balance-- unless they are themselves protein rich. How often are you clarifying your hair w/ the co-washing? The only other thing I could see that may be causing you a problem is the wet brushing into a ponytail to airdry. Are you ensuring your holders aren't causing to much stress to the area being pulled back? Do you switch up the pulled back styles with "free movement" styles occasionally to give your hair a break from the tension?

Sistaslick said:
awww no prob girl! :kiss:

I have quite a few moisturizers I like to use. For those times I need more protein I go with any one of thse: Salerm 21, Cantu Shea Butter break cure or grow strong, Elasta QP mango butter, and Profectiv Break Free or Mega Growth.

For moisture, I tend to stick with ORS Olive oil, ORS carrot oil, Neutragena Triple Moisture silk touch leave in, and sometimes Luster's S-Curl.

Are your Nioxin products protein heavy? Your conditioner washes should be helping with your moisture balance-- unless they are themselves protein rich. How often are you clarifying your hair w/ the co-washing? The only other thing I could see that may be causing you a problem is the wet brushing into a ponytail to airdry. Are you ensuring your holders aren't causing to much stress to the area being pulled back? Do you switch up the pulled back styles with "free movement" styles occasionally to give your hair a break from the tension?

where do you get the shea butter and the ORS olive and carrot oil - but I thought oils were not moisturizers?:ohwell: I dont know if the nioxin conditioners are too heavy - but i dont use them every day - i use the leave in conditioner every day because i need something to tame my curls, and that seems light - it is a moisturizing leave-in plus then i seal it with castor oil on my ends...today i tried essential oils (peppermint/lavender) mixed with jojoba oil and sulphur on my scalp then i coated my hair with the leave in condtioner...i co-wash with finesse moisturizing conditioner. I never wear my hair out because it is so curly and shrunken it looks too short... i look like little orphan annie...so i always always have it up in a bun or curly ponytail with some little curly pieces hanging down - unless i flat iron it - which i havent done since february - i wonder how damaging it would be if i did that more often....the hair scrunchies are only wrapped twice usually around my hair so they are not too tight, and they are cloth scrunchies so they are covered...what do you think of all of that? and which is the best conditioner to use for co-washes?

Oh! The Organic Root Stimulator olive oil and carrot oil moisturizers are not oils. These are still waterbased moisturizers-- just have a bit of oil in them- kinda like a water, humectant, oil mix. They aren't like plain extra virgin olive oil or regular carrot oil. The elasta qp mango butter and the ORS products can be found at Walmart, Walgreens, or a beauty supply store. :)

Are you using the Finesse Moisturizing conditioner for dry hair? I noticed that one does have a bit of protein. If you are using it daily, the protein may be a little more than you need. There are tons of great conditioners you can use for your co-washes that are really good for maintaining your moisture balance. There are a few threads around here with great recs, so check those out :up: Most people like Suave and V05 for co-washing because they are pretty cheap, smell great, and rinse clean. Just make sure the one you choose for daily use isn't one w/ protein.:D

I think you should give your hair a break from the pulling back though. :yep: Perhaps you can try some styles like twists-- or maybe even try banding to "lengthen" your curls out.

amorette said:
where do you get the shea butter and the ORS olive and carrot oil - but I thought oils were not moisturizers?:ohwell: I dont know if the nioxin conditioners are too heavy - but i dont use them every day - i use the leave in conditioner every day because i need something to tame my curls, and that seems light - it is a moisturizing leave-in plus then i seal it with castor oil on my ends...today i tried essential oils (peppermint/lavender) mixed with jojoba oil and sulphur on my scalp then i coated my hair with the leave in condtioner...i co-wash with finesse moisturizing conditioner. I never wear my hair out because it is so curly and shrunken it looks too short... i look like little orphan annie...so i always always have it up in a bun or curly ponytail with some little curly pieces hanging down - unless i flat iron it - which i havent done since february - i wonder how damaging it would be if i did that more often....the hair scrunchies are only wrapped twice usually around my hair so they are not too tight, and they are cloth scrunchies so they are covered...what do you think of all of that? and which is the best conditioner to use for co-washes?

I think you should give your hair a break from the pulling back though. :yep: Perhaps you can try some styles like twists-- or maybe even try banding to "lengthen" your curls out.[/quote]
thanks for all the info mamma! :grin: :D what is "banding"????? i dont want to look like orphan annie so whatever i do needs to stretch the curls out fo sho...and i work out twice a day and my hair gets soaking wet because i sweat so much so will it hold/last or shrink up? i need some good holding products too...

amorette said:
thanks for all the info mamma! :grin: :D what is "banding"????? i dont want to look like orphan annie so whatever i do needs to stretch the curls out fo sho...and i work out twice a day and my hair gets soaking wet because i sweat so much so will it hold/last or shrink up? i need some good holding products too...

You gone have to get with some of the natural sistas on the banding thing. :lol: Its an airdrying method where you place tiny ponytail holders (bands) along the length of the hair so that it dries into a stretched out position. It helps tone down the shrinkage. :up: I'm sure somebody has a fotki with examples of this. :D

Sistaslick said:
You gone have to get with some of the natural sistas on the banding thing. :lol: Its an airdrying method where you place tiny ponytail holders (bands) along the length of the hair so that it dries into a stretched out position. It helps tone down the shrinkage. :up: I'm sure somebody has a fotki with examples of this. :D

Brilliant! what a great idea...i just wonder which ponytail holders i could use that would not break my hair - i need to go first thing tomorrow morning to sav-on....i wonder how it will look since my hair is 17 different lengths:lachen: ....i really want to be out of this transition and just retain my growth...i need all the length i can get with my curly shrinking hair:lachen: :lol: ...which products do you use to hold the hair and moistu:lol: rize at the same time, and when you band do you sit under a dryer or let it airdry...i am not sure how to look up past threads on this......

Thanks april! :D

Amorette, try these threads for banding:

(Stretching natural hair) http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=80459&highlight=banding

(Trying Banding tonight) http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=23707&highlight=banding

For the 2nd link, I think Jessy55 has changed her album, so try pm'ing her or doing a search under her name. I think she has pics in there too. :D

You can also type the word "banding" into the search box and threads will pop up. Definitely give it a shot girl! You can use oil soaked hoisery holders or those terry cloth mini holders, I wouldn't recommend rubber bands. And something without metal parts would be best. :D

thanks so uch sista..i banded and went out to a club in beverly hills saturday night and all the men were hitting on me...as a matter of fact that happened to me again when i banded yesterday too...my hair looks sexy and free when i take out the bands - i used the olive oil moisturizer and sealed it wth nioxin finishing cream for hold....sexxxy :0)

thanks so much sista..i banded and went out to a club in beverly hills saturday night and all the men were hitting on me...as a matter of fact that happened to me again when i banded yesterday too...my hair looks sexy and free when i take out the bands - i used the olive oil moisturizer and sealed it wth nioxin finishing cream for hold....sexxxy :0)

SistaSlick - you are truly a wealth of knowledge. I have a question for you about my breakage. I'm also trying to minimize/stop the amount of breakage I'm experiencing. I'm about 2 months in to my healthy hair regimine and I have noticed that my breakage has decreased tremedously. However I'm now concerned about my protein to moisture balance. For example on Monday I had my swim class. I used a cap but the back of my hair still got wet. Instead of washing that night because I was exhausted when I got in at 10:00 I just wet my hair in the shower to rinse out the pool water, slapped on a ton of ORS Hair Mayonaisse (sp?), then put a plastic cap and my scarf on my head and went to sleep. In the morning I washed it out followed by my regular wash using Silk Elements moisturizing shampoo, and then I sat under the dryer for 10 minutes with Motions CPR, followed by a leave-in of Salerm 21 and Garnier Fructis. I roller set and then after I was dry I applied WGO sparingly to my scalp and went about my day. That night I then applied some IC Nightime Treatment Oil to my hair wrapped and put my scarf on. Is what I'm doing OK for my hair? Do I have the right mix of moisture and protein? I know my conditioners are very protein heavy but I figure I'm balancing that out with my nightly application of the IC Oil if that is in fact a moisturizer. What do you think? Please Help!!!!

TIA! :)

amorette said:
thanks so much sista..i banded and went out to a club in beverly hills saturday night and all the men were hitting on me...as a matter of fact that happened to me again when i banded yesterday too...my hair looks sexy and free when i take out the bands - i used the olive oil moisturizer and sealed it wth nioxin finishing cream for hold....sexxxy :0)

Wow! Great!! I am glad the banding worked out for you! :up:

Blkbeautyhair said:
SistaSlick - you are truly a wealth of knowledge. I have a question for you about my breakage. I'm also trying to minimize/stop the amount of breakage I'm experiencing. I'm about 2 months in to my healthy hair regimine and I have noticed that my breakage has decreased tremedously. However I'm now concerned about my protein to moisture balance. For example on Monday I had my swim class. I used a cap but the back of my hair still got wet. Instead of washing that night because I was exhausted when I got in at 10:00 I just wet my hair in the shower to rinse out the pool water, slapped on a ton of ORS Hair Mayonaisse (sp?), then put a plastic cap and my scarf on my head and went to sleep. In the morning I washed it out followed by my regular wash using Silk Elements moisturizing shampoo, and then I sat under the dryer for 10 minutes with Motions CPR, followed by a leave-in of Salerm 21 and Garnier Fructis. I roller set and then after I was dry I applied WGO sparingly to my scalp and went about my day. That night I then applied some IC Nightime Treatment Oil to my hair wrapped and put my scarf on. Is what I'm doing OK for my hair? Do I have the right mix of moisture and protein? I know my conditioners are very protein heavy but I figure I'm balancing that out with my nightly application of the IC Oil if that is in fact a moisturizer. What do you think? Please Help!!!!

TIA! :)

Aww thanks! :kiss: I am not too familiar with the IC oil, but the name doesn't sound particularly moisturizing. Without looking at the ingredients, it sounds like it would be more of a sealant for an actual moisture source. You can pm or list the ingredients here if you want--I'm about to head out for a late hair run tonight . . . and if I see it, I can give you my opinion on it. Right now its sounding like a regular oil type product.:D

I do think your products are a little protein heavy, but if you aren't having any breakage or stiffness right now from using them, your hair obviously needed the protein boost. :yep: I'd just be careful and monitor how your hair feels each day and go forward from there. Pay attention to the early signs your hair gives you, because its best to catch it early before the breakage ever begins. If you feel a stiff/tough kind of feel to your hair creeping in thats a warning sign of breakage to come. . . when you get that dry, snappy kind of breakage the overload is starting set in. In either instance, you know to back off of the protein just a bit and begin focusing on the moisturizing aspects of your regimen again. HTH.

Sistaslick said:
Aww thanks! :kiss: I am not too familiar with the IC oil, but the name doesn't sound particularly moisturizing. Without looking at the ingredients, it sounds like it would be more of a sealant for an actual moisture source. You can pm or list the ingredients here if you want--I'm about to head out for a late hair run tonight . . . and if I see it, I can give you my opinion on it. Right now its sounding like a regular oil type product.:D

Grrr!! I just typed up my post and received an error message so here I go again. :mad:

This has been a great help. So far I have not experienced any stiffness but while my breakage has reduced a lot I'm still experiencing some which drives me nuts. I'm going to take your advice and up my moisture. I'm going to do a deep moisture treatment one week and a protein treatment the next and see what that does for me.

Here are the ingredients for my IC night treatment oil:
  • octyl Palmitate
  • Mineral oil
  • Safflower oil
  • Cyclomethicone
  • Caprylic/Capic Triglyceride
  • Lanolin Oil
  • Vitamin A, D, E
  • Aloe Extract
  • Fragrance
Thanks again! :)

Yeah, that product would definitely be considered more of a sealant. There's no water in it, and the mineral oil and cyclomethicone are other moisture obstacles. If I'm not mistaken, cyclomethicone is considered one of the "stubborn" cones. It isn't water soluble-- so it can build up on the hair with repeated use and cause further dryness for ya. This "cone" is one that may require a clarifier to fully remove. :ohwell:

You'll be fine though! Just use this oil to seal your moisture source. It may take awhile for the breakage from protein overload to tone down, but consistent moisturizing and deep conditioning will help turn it around. :up:

Sistaslick said:
Yeah, that product would definitely be considered more of a sealant. There's no water in it, and the mineral oil and cyclomethicone are other moisture obstacles. If I'm not mistaken, cyclomethicone is considered one of the "stubborn" cones. It isn't water soluble-- so it can build up on the hair with repeated use and cause further dryness for ya. This "cone" is one that may require a clarifier to fully remove. :ohwell:

You'll be fine though! Just use this oil to seal your moisture source. It may take awhile for the breakage from protein overload to tone down, but consistent moisturizing and deep conditioning will help turn it around. :up:

Ah! thanks for the info. I will definitely decrease my usage of that product.

Thanks for the post Sistaslick. It was great. I am going to PM you because I have waaay too many questions to post here. I'm a newbie trying to find a regimen, so I want to ask you about some of the products that I have.

Excellent post. Helpful, informing and encouraging.:)

Sista Slick,

last month, I was constantly spraying Aphogee pro vitamin leave in conditioner on my hair (is this a protein?...)
Next thing you know, the ends of my hair in the 'kitchen' were really dry and breaking off- but just that part of my hair. I trimmed it (as this part seems to grow the fastest on my head) and put some grease directly on the ends. I'm sure the dry ends will disappear, but what do you think caused it?

Sista Slick, when you are referring to the wet assessment, what do you mean when you talk about the hair "stretching??"

And how do you tell the difference between hair that lacks moisture and hair that is dry? I know they are different, but they seem the same to me.​

Last edited:
Summa Bliss said:
Excellent post. Helpful, informing and encouraging.:)

Sista Slick,

last month, I was constantly spraying Aphogee pro vitamin leave in conditioner on my hair (is this a protein?...)
Next thing you know, the ends of my hair in the 'kitchen' were really dry and breaking off- but just that part of my hair. I trimmed it (as this part seems to grow the fastest on my head) and put some grease directly on the ends. I'm sure the dry ends will disappear, but what do you think caused it?

Hey!
I am not too familiar Aphogee’s leave in conditioner, I would need to have a look at the ingredients. From my experience, Aphogee seems more or a protein rich line of products, and the fact that it’s a leave-in conditioner usually means that there is going to be some level of protein or protein-like rebuilding complexes in there. Check the ingredients. I’m 99% sure its protein heavy. Alot of times, you can tell whether something is protein based by simply using it and gauging how it feels on your hair. If you feel your hair hardening after using it toughening—you know the protein components of the product outweigh the moisturizing aspects.

Were you using this a moisturizer? If so, I really think you should try to find something more moisturizing for daily/regular use. :yep:

I am a big proponent of moisturizing the hair first then sealing to combat dryness. Once you have applied your moisturizer, you should seal it in with a light coating of oil. Now you can lightly apply your grease to seal, but I prefer natural oils like coconut or almond for sealing the hair because these wear off and allow you to moisturize daily. I would not use grease in the place of a real moisturizer. Grease can be kind of heavy and can work against you if you aren’t careful. For some, it gives their moisturizer more mileage—trapping in the moisturizer and allowing the hair to remain moisturized for days. For others, it simply leads to dryness and product buildup sooner. This is usually what happens to me. I have fine hair strands and grease tends to make my hair go limp no matter how little I use. I usually have to wash and start over. :lol:

Ms_Twana said:
Sista Slick, when you are referring to the wet assessment, what do you mean when you talk about the hair "stretching??"

Hey girl! I'll try my best to explain.:lol: Well, as you know, hair is elastic and needs to be in order to withstand breakage. :yep: The stretching that healthy hair does is rarely noticeable to us- it is very subtle. The hair can be manipulated—even very harshly sometimes and it will not break. All of the forces within the hair strand are balanced. However, there is a point where the hair is too elastic and the stretching becomes too much for the hair to withstand. Recognizing this threshold is very important for protecting against breakage.

When the hair is too elastic, it is very, very soft and simply stretches and stretches and then breaks. If you take a hair that has shed while your hair is in a state like this, and pull it, you’ll see that it stretches and stretches before it breaks- as opposed to breaking right away when pulled on. The hair may thin out in parts before it finally succumbs. When you comb through hair like this, it tends to "follow the comb" rather than pull cleanly through. Overall, this kind of hair feels spongy, gummy, mushy, and limp when it is wet because it lacks the structural protein component it needs.

This usually happens to those of us who are hair care conscious—who moisturize, moisturize, moisturize and/or are overzealous with our deep conditioning efforts (ex. lengthy periods of time/overnight :lol: ) It is also common among those of us who have undergone a process where the hair’s natural protein storess are compromised. (relaxing/coloring)

We can tell when there are problems with elasticity/structure when the hair breaks at the slightest touch (too much structure/protein) or when it feels weak and stretches and stretches on us- then breaks. (overconditioned/lvery ittle structure)

And how do you tell the difference between hair that lacks moisture and hair that is dry? I know they are different, but they seem the same to me.

Hahaa, this one is interesting. I’m not sure, but I think you might may be having some issue with the word "dry" when it’s referring to the way the hair feels as in parched, moisture deficient (Girl, my hair so dry and rough), and when its referring to hair that is not wet (I just towel dried my hair . . . or I am waiting for my hair to dry :lol: ).

If someone says their hair is dry, I would always take that to mean that they are lacking moisture. As far as telling whether you need more moisture or protein on your (dry/dried) hair--- it is definitely possible, but can really be confusing if you aren't sure what to look for. When your hair is dry, tough, brittle and breaking while it is dried that is an indication of low moisture content and too much protein. On my “dried” hair, my hair feels like straw/hay when I need more moisture. On the flip side, my “dried” hair feels limp, overly soft , and weak when it needs more protein.

The best way to tell (in my experience) is on wet not dried hair. HtH.:D

Thanks Sisatslick,

Just read the ingredients, and yes, it IS aprotein leave in....D'oh!

I was using it because I ran out of braid spray:ohwell: ! Won't make the mistake of using something like that every day again.

Definitely, I'm more in favour of moisture, than protein. I generally only use protein when deep conditioning. That's usually enough for my hair- not using protein daily.
Just got Botanicals Conditioning Tonic which is okay.

Yeah lay off of the aphogee just a bit and focus on replenishing that moisture balance. Reserve the aphogee leave in for those times when you need a bit more structure after a wash. :up:

Hey sistaslick,

I've read a lot of your "tutorials";) and Ive followed pretty much everything to the t.
Im transitioning and naturally (4a/b thick/coarse), my hair hasnt been the same since my last perm in August of last year. For the first few months, washing and conditioning once a week were doing wonders for my hair. It was incredibly soft- and no one could believe that it had been months since my last perm.
But since the start of this year, things have been different, my hair started to feel "stiffer" after my routine and it felt hard. I would wash with Keracare (not the 1st lather but the other one- i forgot the name) then I'd follow with deep conditioning using Keracare humecto. I used a light spray on moisturizer by biolage that contained milk, and then followed with a heat protectant to blow dry and flat iron.

As I said this no longer works and I have been in search of a new regime and new products. My hair when whet stretches slightly, then breaks, i have broken hairs often, so Im assuming that I have too much protein and not enough moisture.

Last week I tried clarifying. I did a first lather with ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo to remove Ca2+ and Mg+, then rinsed and used CON Clarifying poo , in case the build up of products/ mineral deposits was causing the stiffness. I then followed by deep conditioning under the hood using Suave's humectant conditioner.

I rinsed, applied a moisturizer (Cantu Shea Butter-leave in) than added small amount of shea butter oil to seal in the moisture.

Still didnt help!:(

My hair was still stiff when I tried to flat iron. SO much so that I got frustrated, turned off the iron, and pulled it into a bun.

I would like to try co washes b/c I know my hair needs moisture badly. Im just wondering, do i continue with this new regime of shampooing, then dc'ing, then moisturizing and sealing? Is it the kind of thing you have to do continuosly to see results? If not, what else do I try? My natural hair stays so dry- while my relaxed ends respond better to moisture. No matter what I put on, give it an hour or so, and my natural hair feels dry again, sometimes even crunchy.

Im torn now! I want to stay in my transition, sometimes I just want to cut off the relaxed ends and start over. Other times I really think that just giving in and getting a perm (or maybe trying a txtrzr) would be better. But being at almost the 11 month mark, I feel I've come to far to do either. What do I do? My hair is so thirsty and so hard.

Please Help!!

Sorry so long
icon11.gif

amara11 said:
Hey sistaslick,

I've read a lot of your "tutorials";) and Ive followed pretty much everything to the t.
Im transitioning and naturally (4a/b thick/coarse), my hair hasnt been the same since my last perm in August of last year. For the first few months, washing and conditioning once a week were doing wonders for my hair. It was incredibly soft- and no one could believe that it had been months since my last perm.
But since the start of this year, things have been different, my hair started to feel "stiffer" after my routine and it felt hard. I would wash with Keracare (not the 1st lather but the other one- i forgot the name) then I'd follow with deep conditioning using Keracare humecto. I used a light spray on moisturizer by biolage that contained milk, and then followed with a heat protectant to blow dry and flat iron.

As I said this no longer works and I have been in search of a new regime and new products. My hair when whet stretches slightly, then breaks, i have broken hairs often, so Im assuming that I have too much protein and not enough moisture.

Last week I tried clarifying. I did a first lather with ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo to remove Ca2+ and Mg+, then rinsed and used CON Clarifying poo , in case the build up of products/ mineral deposits was causing the stiffness. I then followed by deep conditioning under the hood using Suave's humectant conditioner.

I rinsed, applied a moisturizer (Cantu Shea Butter-leave in) than added small amount of shea butter oil to seal in the moisture.

Still didnt help!:(

My hair was still stiff when I tried to flat iron. SO much so that I got frustrated, turned off the iron, and pulled it into a bun.

Hey girl! Congrats on 11 months relaxer free! :clap:

Hmmmm :scratchch
As a stretcher, I can attest to the fact that the hair overall just tends to feel drier and drier the further post relaxer you get. During a stretch or transition, it's really important that you step up your level of conditioning and moisturizing. For me, this means more frequent washing/conditioning during the week for hydration, and sometimes during a deep stretch, that translates to washing every 2 days.:lol: You may really want to start considering washing your hair twice a week.

Also, I think your hair may not like the mineral oil in the KeraCare which could be causing some buildup issues. The mineral oil may be preventing your moisture from truly getting in where it needs to go. The biolage spray may have aggravated the issue with the milk ingredient, as milk b/c of its acidity does tend to harden the hair. Without knowing the other ingredients of the leave in spray, I’m speculating here. :grin:

Another thing is your clarifying :scratchch If the ORS is indeed a chelating poo, it should have done an excellent job of lifting the mineral oil and other deposits from your hair. But one thing I will suggest is that when working with a salon line like KeraCare, is that sometimes (and in your particular case with the buildup) staying “within the line” on certain things is important. For example, the mineral oil buildup you’ve experienced using the line would probably best be cleared up with the clarifying shampoo that was designed for this particular line, the 1st lather shampoo. Sometimes outside products don’t really help address the problems caused by another line.

Next, your step following the clarifying/chelating session may have also been another problem. When you clarify or chelate your hair, you really need to follow up the session with an intense deep moisturizing treatment. Especially since you used two back to back clarifying shampoos.:grin: I like Suave and all :lol:, but I don’t think Suave can give you the level of conditioning you are going to need to bring your hair back to normal. I wouldn’t use the Humecto again, because of the mineral oil component—but another deep conditioner like Kenra Moisturizing conditioner or a bargain brand like AtOne Botanicals Conditioner or Herbal Essences replenishing conditioner will do a better job than the Suave. Do a search, and you’ll find plenty of great conditioner suggestions throughout this site. You should try to deep condition the hair with your moisturizing conditioner for 30-45 minutes w/ heat preferably.

The Cantu shea butter leave in is a protein based leave in, so this would have only contributed to the stiffness problem. Pretty much everything from the Cantu line is protein based and won’t do much for your stiffness. :ohwell I'd be on the look out for some relatively protein-free moisturizers like ORS olive oil or Luster's s-curl.

I would like to try co washes b/c I know my hair needs moisture badly. Im just wondering, do i continue with this new regime of shampooing, then dc'ing, then moisturizing and sealing? Is it the kind of thing you have to do continuosly to see results? If not, what else do I try? My natural hair stays so dry- while my relaxed ends respond better to moisture. No matter what I put on, give it an hour or so, and my natural hair feels dry again, sometimes even crunchy.

Im torn now! I want to stay in my transition, sometimes I just want to cut off the relaxed ends and start over. Other times I really think that just giving in and getting a perm (or maybe trying a txtrzr) would be better. But being at almost the 11 month mark, I feel I've come to far to do either. What do I do? My hair is so thirsty and so hard.

Please Help!!

I think conditioner washing is an excellent choice for keeping the hair moisturized :yep: You can incorporate them into a once a week deep conditioning regimen plan or do them exclusively. Either way, I'd try to get in at least 2 sessions of some type of washing/hydration each week. For me, I shampoo and deep condition once per week for 30 mins on one wash, and 3 days later I co-wash- alternating like that. Sometimes I’ll go a week or two purely co-washing. Just whatever my hair likes at the time.

With co-washing, buildup can always become an issue, so occasional clarifying would be helpful here. Also, selecting the proper conditioner will help make your conditioner washing experience successful. Opt for conditioners with water soluble “cones”--- like methicone copolyl and dimethicone as these will rinse from the hair cleanly and resist building up on the shaft over time. I like watery instant conditioners for co-washing because they are light and do not weigh down the hair. They don’t condition the hair as well as thicker, richer conditioners but IMO they are the best for regular co-washers who want to stay away from shampoo. If the wrong conditioners are used, or weekly product use is too heavy to sustain frequent conditioner washing, the hair may begin to refuse moisture and other treatments. This can result in dryness and breakage no matter how much moisturizing you do.

You can continue on with the washing/deep conditioning once per week, only if you want to. Please don’t feel bound by this at all. You have to do what you feel is right for your hair. You also have to remember that your hair is changing . . . you are transitioning . . . so the needs of your hair may be different from what they were when you were fully relaxed. Sometimes you have to re-evaluate and revamp!;)

Sistaslick, thank you for explaining the stretching thing to me. But in the words of Lil' Jon......WHAAAAATT!!! I still don't get it. Well, I get all of the background that you gave. I just can't visualize the hair stretching as I comb it.

Sistaslick said:
I’m not sure, but I think you might may be having some issue with the word "dry" when it’s referring to the way the hair feels as in parched, moisture deficient (Girl, my hair so dry and rough), and when its referring to hair that is not wet (I just towel dried my hair . . . or I am waiting for my hair to dry :lol: ).

If someone says their hair is dry, I would always take that to mean that they are lacking moisture.

No, I read another post and someone said that your hair can have moisture and still be dry. I took "dry" in that context as not having shine. But then I thought, "wouldn't that still mean that the hair lacks moisture?" That's were I got confused. But, I thought it was you that wrote the post, that's why I asked you. And I can't find where it is now. So, sorry to confuse you as much as I was confused!!!;)

Don't worry Ms Twana, you'll know it when you see it, trust me. :lol: Its just alot less common than the "snapping" type of breakage we usually see.

I think I know which thread you are talking about-- lemme see if I can find that one for ya . . . eta: in that thread, it seemed like it was saying dry hair is not always moisture deficient-- it is only lacking in oils. I agree with this, but w/ a slight modification.:lol: I believe that dry hair IS always moisture deficient,and that dry hair needs moisture AND oil together. Dryness is the absence of water/moisture, and things become dry by the evaporation of water. Oil acts as a barrier for the hair preventing moisture loss. When this barrier is gone, moisture escapes and is lost from the hair shaft. Not having oil on your hair does not in and of itself contribute to dryness, it is the fact that moisture is able to escape without the presence of some type of barrier there, that leads to dryness. I see the two as working together. That is why I like moisturizing and sealing so much. You get your moisture and your oil helps keep it there.

Last edited:
Back