Hair Breakage 101-- just wanted to share!

This is great sista!

I would like to add that the molecules in jojoba oil and apricot kernel oil are small enough to penetrate the hair! Both are great moisturizing oils. But then again, I've heard that jojoba is not really an oil.

EXCELLENT info!!! Thanks Sista. I will be bookmarking this thread.

Good Luck and many Blessings as you continue on your journey to achieve your goals while still thinking of what others need. God Bless you!

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH SISTASLICK!! you are wonderful!!

forget the bookmark I'm copy pasting this and keeping a copy on my pc and printing one out! :lol: I love this board!!

And also this was perfect timing for me cause I have been DCing and moisturizing so much that my hair was very soft and mushy while washing tonight and shedding like crazy! :eek: When I was detangaling tonight after washing my hair was shedding and coming out with the comb!! Long peices too! :mad: I'm going to pick up some serious protein tommorow. Thanks again, your knowldge is greatly appreciated

wow.... I have been out all day, come back and see a new 4-page thread already made into a sticky.....then when I saw sistaslick's name as the thread starter, I said "of course!"

Sistaslick, you have been so wonderful in helping so many with great hair care, and you will most definitely be rewarded for that! :yep: Thank you so much for posting this. I feel like I should email it to all my friends.

Supergirl said:
This is great sista!

I would like to add that the molecules in jojoba oil and apricot kernel oil are small enough to penetrate the hair! Both are great moisturizing oils. But then again, I've heard that jojoba is not really an oil.

I heard the same about Hemp seed oil, as well.

SS - thanks for the post. That was great reading!

I know some ladies have raved about ultimate softness after adding oil to their moisturizer. So can I conclude that adding oil to your moisturizer is counter productive? Are you possibly getting less moisture than you need if you add oil? Should the oil be used after the moisturizer or halfway during the process to ensure that the moisturizer have penetrated though the shaft before adding oil?

Just adding my 2 cents too!

Thanks so much sista for the great info! You have broken it down to a "t" for us all and it's great info that we will all be able to use at some time or another.

Good look on your writing project and keep us posted so we can be some of the first ones to take advantage of the finished product!!!!:lol:

Great info Sistaslick...you've already taught me so much and here you go again giving me some more much needed info.

I can't wait to buy your finished book!! Good luck!

Thanks so much ladies :)

Keen said:
I know some ladies have raved about ultimate softness after adding oil to their moisturizer. So can I conclude that adding oil to your moisturizer is counter productive? Are you possibly getting less moisture than you need if you add oil? Should the oil be used after the moisturizer or halfway during the process to ensure that the moisturizer have penetrated though the shaft before adding oil?

Well in my personal experience, moisturizers work best when they go on the hair first, followed by a light coating of oil. The same softness can be achieved by the simple moisture layering technique because oils are the main source of the softness. I think the layering technique is better though, because it really allows the water molecules to penetrate deeper, uninhibited.:D

I truly believe that a moisturizer should be applied alone first.:yep: Water molecules are able to penetrate the cuticle layers deeper than oils because of the comparative size of the molecules. Remember, the cuticle is not one layer thick-- some sources say there are as many as 15 layers to the cuticle in some individuals. Essential oils are special and will penetrate deeper than heavier conventional oils (which typically do not penetrate at all)-- but nothing can beat water at getting deep into the strand. Water molecules and essential oils would cross easiest, and conventional oils would be last. Molecular size matters. A similar instance occurs with hair coloring. This is why color rinses do not last as long as permanent colors. Dye molecules are finer in permanent color formulations and are able to penetrate the shaft on a deeper level. Rinses will penetrate a few layers, but the bulk of the color still remains on the outermost cuticle layers.

As far as mixing oils and moisturizers, adding essential oils to your moisturizer will not totally work against your ability to moisturize the hair. In fact, I sometimes add essential oils to my regular waterbased moisturizers (rosemary and peppermint) and my hair is just doing fine.:grin: I don't add these oils for a moisturizing benefit, but for their aromatic and stimulating effects. Essential oils are organic volatile compounds that evaporate easily, but because they are made of hydrocarbons—they are nonpolar and do not bind to water. In nature, moisturization and hydration are characteristics of water. Oils do not hydrate the hair, and therefore cannot "moisturize." They work against moisturization because they are chemically hydrophobic (water repelling)- not hydrophilic (water accepting). They will soften and increase the pliability of the outer cuticle layers—but the ability to moisture is a property that is water specific.
Adding a heavier oil will to your moisturizer will also work against your ability to properly moisturize the hair. Conventional oils do not evaporate easily and will work better as sealants than essential oils would.

For moisturizing, I simply the add moisturizer to my hair and allow that to seep in for a minute or two. Then I apply oil to seal it in and add softness and shine. Works like a charm. ;)

Great info, Sistaslick!
1.gif

This is GREAT information! I saw that you posted this information on the other hair board and I refer to it a lot. Thank you for posting it here!

Thank you for posting this wonderful info. I am going to test my hair while wet to see how it is. I haven't use a protein cpndtioner other than AO GPB in i dont know how long.

Thanks for this info sistaslick! I got hair relaxed like 3 weeks ago, and it had grown a lot, but I'm noticing a lot more breakage than normal in the front. I may have too much protein in my hair.

This is an awesome post. I've learned more about breakage and shedding from this post than I have from some of the hair books I've read (and I haven't even finished reading everything everyone's posted). I've been gleaning a lot of great haircare tips since joining LHCF.

Thanks for taking the time to condense all of this in one place.:)

Back