Guess what iiiiiiiiiii did?

itismehmmkay

This girl went ahead and flat-ironed her hair while wet...
ooo.gif
...and I had excellent results!

After washing w/ creme of nature, I put some Blue Magic Coconut Grease and some Infusium 23, and proceeded to flat-ironing. I even added water to areas that started to dry.

I think the heat seals in the moisture on the wet hair. Also, the water aids in the "ironing" of the hair.

Ya'll....when I tell you that my hair is so silky and soft....and there's so much bounce. Also, my new growth blended in w/ my texturized hair much better than when I would flat-iron my hair dry. This is only helping me make my decision on whether to go back to natural
wink.gif

(P.S. - This technique was sparked by the previous post that asked if anyone flat-ironed w/ wet hair.)

Wow, that's great. I'm glad it worked out well for you. Was your hair just damp or was it actually wet?

WOW, you're really brave.much more than I am. I still don't think this is something I'm willing to try.

I did this too only my hair was damp, not wet wet.It felt natural when I was doing it like it wasn't damaging my hair.My hair came out much straighter and swingier than usual
smile.gif
This has got to be too good to be true....

Same here, metal...

My hair wasn't dripping wet, but it was a little more than damp. I actually wanted to keep the water's moisture on purpose. My hair is even shiner than usual in addition to softer and straighter.

Ya'll....my new growth is so krunk. Like I said, I might go back to natural and just flat-iron my hair this way when I want it straight.

As far as the damaging factor, I did the elasticity test on the few little strands that shedded...and they weren't as dry or weak as when I would blow-dry.

I will say that I performed a "strand test" before doing my whole head. I applied some water to a section of my hair that I knew usually dries the curliest to see how it was going to react. After seeing good results, I proceeded to do a full head washing.

If you all do try this, be prepared to go over each section about 3 times. One good thing is that you can get away w/ using larger sections than usual.

Wow! Sounds like you may be on to something we all can do safely, if moisture is actually sealed in. I've never flat-ironed yet but I have one.

wow that sounds great, I am natural and I will try this when I do my hair, but I just a curling iron, what is a good flat iron to buy and can u tell me where to get a really good one thanks

Oh that's right...

I should inform you all that I did use a ceramic flat-iron which is supposed to be good w/ evenly distributing heat. I wouldn't recommend a regular metal flat-iron because I think they would make hair drier and thus weaker.

I got mine from walmart for 15bucks. It's by Conair. I also got their ceramic curling iron. Yep...
wink.gif
krunk.

krys

I am glad the process worked for you.

Actually, I am not surprised that it did work, and this is why:

When I was younger, my mother pressed my hair with a straightening comb. However, she never allowed my hair to dry completely, and pressed the hair while still damp. I had a nice, smooth, straight hairstyle the entire week.

So, for the hair pressers: try pressing your hair while damp.

northernbelle

I also flat iron while my hair is damp. Haven't had any problems.

Someone asked about the steam scorching your scalp. Yes it can and it's happened to me so you have to be careful. Use caution with any type of thermal styling tools.

[ QUOTE ]
northernbelle said:

When I was younger, my mother pressed my hair with a straightening comb. However, she never allowed my hair to dry completely, and pressed the hair while still damp. I had a nice, smooth, straight hairstyle the entire week.

northernbelle

[/ QUOTE ]
Northernbelle, you're absolutely right. I'm natural and I always press my hair while it's slightly damp. The hair is not dry and it seals in the moisture, and you get great body .

i was always told using heating appliances on wet hair caused the hair to sizzle and burn off
confused.gif
i think i'll try this on a small section in the back just to experiment.

at walmart, they have those new ceramic, steam flat-irons that cost 20 bucks. would that iron give the same result, you think? it has a water tank to boot.

Really quick..Hi everyone I new to the board, Ive enjoyed reading the post now Ive finally decided to get in on the action.....
Question: Some sections of my hair get tangled badly, so after I comb out the tangles do I use the flat iron and also do you put anything on it like setting lotion or foam before ironing? I am really eager to try this, but I really don't want my hair to fall out.......

Good question, Angel...

My crown area gets extremely tangled when it starts to dry because my new growth is the curliest there. Because of that, I started w/ that section first. I flat-ironed my hair (or tried to) in sections in order as to how tangled they got once dry. I did not use the comb at all. My previous regimen is exactly what I did. Now, I did towel dry my hair a bit before adding the grease and infusium. But, I just layed the towel on my head and squeezed; I didn't do any rubbing. This was just enough to keep my hair from dripping. Also keep in mind that I made sure to apply more grease to my new growth than my ends. By the way, my hair is very bouncy and is not greasy.
laugh.gif

Also, as far as keep the the steam off of my scalp, I used a a cute little method. I would initially let the flat-iron clasp around my roots for maybe just half of a second. I did this about two times before running it through the whole section.

[ QUOTE ]
northernbelle said:

northernbelle

[/ QUOTE ]

You just reminded me of something: Does anyone here remember Lustrasilk? They used to have a solution you sprayed on your hair after shampooing. You pressed your hair while damp. The hair came out silky straight, light and bouncy. It had great shine!! My mother pressed mine and my sisters' hair with this when we were teenagers. I don't know if they still make that product...I might go looking for it because I'd bet it would make a great product to use before straight-ironing or curling. It smells a little like vinegar, but the smell dissipates.

[ QUOTE ]
itismehmmkay said:
Good question, Angel...

My crown area gets extremely tangled when it starts to dry because my new growth is the curliest there. Because of that, I started w/ that section first. I flat-ironed my hair (or tried to) in sections in order as to how tangled they got once dry. I did not use the comb at all. My previous regimen is exactly what I did. Now, I did towel dry my hair a bit before adding the grease and infusium. But, I just layed the towel on my head and squeezed; I didn't do any rubbing. This was just enough to keep my hair from dripping. Also keep in mind that I made sure to apply more grease to my new growth than my ends. By the way, my hair is very bouncy and is not greasy.
laugh.gif

Also, as far as keep the the steam off of my scalp, I used a a cute little method. I would initially let the flat-iron clasp around my roots for maybe just half of a second. I did this about two times before running it through the whole section.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks alot.I think Im going to try this on Tuesday because thats the day I had planned to wash my hair anyway. But I will start off with a small section first to test. One quick question, this may be a dumb question but what is or what does a ceramic flat iron look? Thanks again

Well now that I think of this, I do flat iron my damp hair from time to time. But I only use this method occasionally cause it requires a lot of heat. But if I am between relaxers and i have a lot of new growth, I wash and condition my hair and sit under a hooded dryer for about 15 minutes. Then I will blow dry my hair until it is damp (not all the way dry). Then I will flat iron my hair. I always get tons of compliments when I do this. I always use a thermal protectant such as design essentials reflections liquid shine prior to blow drying and flat ironing. It last until I decide to wash again and I don't have to use anymore heat as long as I wrap my hair up at night.

But I would NOT recommend doing this all the time.

I tried it this weekend also, and the results were good. I put a little coconut oil on my hair and no other products. I did use a low setting on the ceramic flat iron. It did sound like chicken frying, but other than that, it was okay! I would do it again, I don't prefer it to air drying my roller set and probably would only do this if I were in a hurry. I did notice at night I had to add a more than usual amount of moisturiser to my hair to get the moisture balance back in my ends. I have 4a/b hair and keeping moisture in my hair is always a challenge for me.

[ QUOTE ]
Aerie17

You just reminded me of something: Does anyone here remember Lustrasilk? They used to have a solution you sprayed on your hair after shampooing. You pressed your hair while damp. The hair came out silky straight, light and bouncy. It had great shine!! My mother pressed mine and my sisters' hair with this when we were teenagers. I don't know if they still make that product...I might go looking for it because I'd bet it would make a great product to use before straight-ironing or curling. It smells a little like vinegar, but the smell dissipates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aerie, I also used that product a long time ago and it was great. Yes they still sell it. Where I live I've seen it in Walgreens and my local bss.

Itismehmmkay,

Could you give us an update on the condition of your hair that night and the day after you did this to your hair? Was it dry and if so what did you do to replace the moisture? Also, have you flat ironed it again since that first day?

TIA

Back