Girl don't do it!

crlsweetie912

Everyone has horror stories about their hair. But, it's all learned experiences that may help someone else. What is your "horror story" or experience that you would pass on to the LHCFer's and say
GIRLLLLLLL DON'T DO IT!:eek:

Mine would be double processed hair color and a relaxer (in other words, bleach, permanent color over relaxed hair) I know this is probably a no brainer, but I did this years ago to my almost BSL hair and I had to literally start from scratch!:eek: Believe it or not, there are others that may not know some of these things.

What's your tip?
PS: It could also be products not to try, etc. :D

If you are going to use a blowdyer....please learn how to use it properly! I really messed up my hair a while ago and thought for years it was the blowdryers fault.....but it wasn't it was mine:(

Don't use a blow dryer with the comb attachment(or anything that pulls the hair) on a regular basis (NEVER if possible) by yourself.

I thinned and broke off my hair on the left side (I am right handed) because I could not do it safely with the heavy dryer I was using.

rinygirl6 said:
If you are going to use a blowdyer....please learn how to use it properly! I really messed up my hair a while ago and thought for years it was the blowdryers fault.....but it wasn't it was mine:(

you were reading my mind girl! That is what I discovered, as well. It was my own MISUSE of the dryer that broke my hair!

HoneyDew said:
Don't use a blow dryer with the comb attachment(or anything that pulls the hair) on a regular basis (NEVER if possible) by yourself.

I thinned and broke off my hair on the left side (I am right handed) because I could not do it safely with the heavy dryer I was using.

DITTO!

Flat ironing more than once per week, no matter how 'strong' your hair is, GIRL DON'T DO IT!

BRUSHING them edges,gelling and brushing some mo, GIRL DON'T DO IT!!!!!

*these are all my opinions of course* I'll be back with more later. LOVE this thread!

:eek: relaxer+flat ironing (every day!!!!) = BAD IDEA:eek:

:eek: sleeping on a cotton pillowcase=BAD IDEA:eek:

:eek: Braids too tight= no no!!!:eek: (especially around the hairline!)

Do NOT put a jheri curl (Leisure Curl, to be exact) on previously relaxed hair.

I did that when I was in middle school. I let the curl grow out my freshman year of high school, then I went back to a relaxer. My hair ain't been right since then.:mad:

Another one:

Trying to tie up a scarf in the back too tightly. It will break your nape all up. The same for the front!!

Dang yall going to know about about my business. :D

Leaving a wack weave job in for 4 months+!!! Can you say MATTED UP DREDS!!!! :(

HoneyDew said:
Another one:

Trying to tie up a scarf in the back too tightly. It will break your nape all up. The same for the front!!

Girl this is my downfall, I still do this, I feel like it ain't right if it ain't tight lol! whyyyy lol!

HoneyDew said:
Another one:

Co-signing HoneyDew,
I wear mine really low. Almost over my forehead and I alternate every night. One night tied in the back, one night tied in the front!

caribeandiva said:
Do not, i repeat, DO NOT let the hairstylist convince you that you need a trim to grow your hair.

I agree everytime I went to get my hair done i needed a trim/cut. Yet nobody told me to keep me ends moisturized to grow/retain my hair:confused: Also dont depend on stylists to grow your hair. with the right info(lhcf) and techniques you can do it ur damn self:) With much better results

Oh, and if you see a stylist who you KNOW is doing something that you don't want or shouldn't be done...

RUN FORREST RUNNNNNNNNN!

angelita842002 said:
I agree everytime I went to get my hair done i needed a trim/cut. Yet nobody told me to keep me ends moisturized to grow/retain my hair:confused: Also dont depend on stylists to grow your hair. with the right info(lhcf) and techniques you can do it ur damn self:) With much better results

Holla! Why come here and learn all of this info if you are letting your stylist take complete control over your hair?

angelita842002 said:

GIRRRLLL YOU BETTA DON'T DO IT!!

HoneyDew said:
Another one:

How about I had a bald spot on my hairline where I used to tie the knot in the front of my head. The spot was shaped just like the knot!:grin: For the longest time I couldn't figure out why I was going bald...I just hoped it wouldn't spread.

crlsweetie912 said:
GIRLLLLLLL DON'T DO IT!:eek:

Mine would be double processed hair color and a relaxer (in other words, bleach, permanent color over relaxed hair) I know this is probably a no brainer, but I did this years ago to my almost BSL hair and I had to literally start from scratch!:eek: . :D

CO-SIGNING TO THE 10TH POWER!!! Highlights (professionally done mind you) were the beginning of the end for my hair. I will never do that crap again. 2 years later, I have about 2/3 " of highlighted ends left and it burns me up to know that all the hair lost through slow breakage + my healthier natural colored hair would have easily added up to BSL by now. Damn them highlights!!!

Comb your hair from root to ends.

(Sometimes I catch myself doing it unconsciously, but then I start at the ends like I should. Bad habit, I know.)

preciousjewel76 said:
Do NOT put a jheri curl (Leisure Curl, to be exact) on previously relaxed hair.

I did that when I was in middle school. I let the curl grow out my freshman year of high school, then I went back to a relaxer. My hair ain't been right since then.:mad:

I did almost the same thing:mad: . I started out with natural hair (age 13)and went to a curl then I wanted perm. For months I didn't condition or wash to try and "grow" the curl out:eek: . When I put the relaxer in there was breakage everywhere. I was HAM for real! Double process is a no no! GIRL DON'T DO IT!!!!!

crlsweetie912 said:
Mine would be double processed hair color and a relaxer (in other words, bleach, permanent color over relaxed hair) I know this is probably a no brainer, but I did this years ago to my almost BSL hair and I had to literally start from scratch!:eek: Believe it or not, there are others that may not know some of these things.

Girl, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!! That's the exact thing I did my sophomore year in college. I was trying to get the cute highlights in, and completely fried my hair. I ended up with a butch buzz cut!

Let a new beautician put chemicals on your head. The 1st time you go, go for a rollerset or wash and flatiron. Get to know someone before they put chemicals on your head.

Do not, I repeat, do not do a corrective relaxer less than a week after if you underprocess. I though 5 days was enough, but my scalp was on fire after 5-7 minutes, so I still ended up with underprocessed hair.

Good thread:

Co-signing on everything! Especially tying the scarf xtra tight (that would be me) and lettin my stylist trim my ends all the freakin time.:eek: I would always ask myself do I really need my ends clipped. I would be like, "self, do I really need my ends clipped?" I always thought that because they are stylists they knew what they were doing.:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: Not always the case.

i'm co-signinig w crlsweetie
no double processes :eek: (permanent color & highlights)
even on natural hair it is dangerous!
luckily for me i have strong hair so it is not 2 bad (no 1 notices)
and b/c it's so strong it took me three times of doing this
1ce a year from 2004-2006 2 notice this wasn't good 4 my hair:lol:

also during this time i visited scissor happy stylists who
(like caribeandiva and the rest warned about)
would chop at my hair like it was nothing cuz the back was to long
cuz my ends were dry.....one time it was cut 2 my nape
(luckily this chia head grows fast so i didn't make a big deal of it)
i wish they had told me about moisturizing the ends also
but u know what they probably don't even know!:look:

i didn't know about the scarf thing so thanks guys;)

Don't wrap your hair in the same direction, every night for years at a time. I kept wondering why there was this hole in my hair on the left side. Once I stopped wrapping it, the hair started filling back in.

Back