Girl don't do it!

angelita842002 said:
I agree everytime I went to get my hair done i needed a trim/cut. Yet nobody told me to keep me ends moisturized to grow/retain my hair:confused: Also dont depend on stylists to grow your hair. with the right info(lhcf) and techniques you can do it ur damn self:) With much better results

Yes, yes, and another yes!!!!!

putting a permanet color on relaxed hair is the one I would suggest not to do. My hair was fine the first six months and then it just started breaking, my hair could be APL by now, but I have to cut off the colored ends every two months, because they are so thin.
Do not use vaseline as a hair grease, absolute no no!!
And don't believe a stylist when they say if you come to them every week or two weeks they can make your hair grow. Your hair is always growing, you just need to learn how to retain the length. My stylist tries to get me to come in more often, but I ain't having that!!

the only one i can think of now is:

-not to let the dominicans blow your roots, or if you must, only rarely!

i was making so much progress and had to go into hair rehab bcuz of that hot domincan blowdryer! :mad:

DO NOT go from texlaxed to bone straight by putting the relaxer on ALL of your hair. I let some crazy lady do that:cry2:

And...keep your hands out of your hair. Just leave it alone! No switching from style to style on the weekly bases and no playing with that one piece of hair while you're on the computer or reading. Ugh! such a bad habit of mine.

do NOT heavily brush your hair while it's wet so that it will dry slicked down

don't use a curling iron on a daily basis, and dont spray spritz on your hair and then use the curling iron and not notice that it's actually a problem when your hair is sizzling and sticking together under the hot plates

crlsweetie912 said:
Everyone has horror stories about their hair. But, it's all learned experiences that may help someone else. What is your "horror story" or experience that you would pass on to the LHCFer's and say
GIRLLLLLLL DON'T DO IT!:eek:

Mine would be double processed hair color and a relaxer (in other words, bleach, permanent color over relaxed hair) I know this is probably a no brainer, but I did this years ago to my almost BSL hair and I had to literally start from scratch!:eek: Believe it or not, there are others that may not know some of these things.

What's your tip?
PS: It could also be products not to try, etc. :D
Hmmpf..this is exactly what happened to me AND I KNEW BETTER...I have 4z type hair and it can pretty much take any type of abuse... so I was trying to get this shade of red that was not coming out right, so I kept trying all these different things (Bleach/perm color/relaxer) within less than a month...one day I had hair and the next minute I didn't, my hair was broken off so bad that when I went to get it cut I didn't even have enough hair for bangs (LOL) I got it cut into a really, really short bob with the back shaved off and the few front hairs that I had were blended in to the side (it was kind of cute)...and basically had to start all over again..that was about 2 1/2 years ago..found lhcf earlier this year and the rest is history..I will now be keeping my hair black..
No "chemical cocktail mix"

Last edited:
***bumping*** Great thread!

Feria color + texturizer on dryness prone hair(maybe some ppls' hair can take it but mine cannot):nono:

Drasting haircutting or any radical, permanent changes while depressed, anxious or upset:nono:

thefineprint said:
great thread!

oh my goodness DO NOT shampoo, condition for only 1 minute then blowdry, then flat iron relaxed hair AND THEN CURL IT WITH A CURLING IRON (all without heat protectants). Just don't do it!!!!

Oh my goodness...this was me for YEARS!!! :cry3:

blac_quarian said:
CO-SIGNING TO THE 10TH POWER!!! Highlights (professionally done mind you) were the beginning of the end for my hair. I will never do that crap again. 2 years later, I have about 2/3 " of highlighted ends left and it burns me up to know that all the hair lost through slow breakage + my healthier natural colored hair would have easily added up to BSL by now. Damn them highlights!!!

COSIGNING! Textures and Tones highlights is the whole reason I even found LHCF! Mine broke off slowly from the ends just like yours! HIGHLIGHTING IS DA DE'BIL!!!!

don't use a curling iron on a daily basis, and dont spray spritz on your hair and then use the curling iron and not notice that it's actually a problem when your hair is sizzling and sticking together under the hot plates

HighlyFavored hit the nail on the head with this one; I think I reduced the length of my hair 3 inches in like 2 days jacking with my hair when I was in middle school doing this. And, yes, my mother told me, you better stop or it'll break. Did I listen? Uh, no... :dork:

Great thread!

GIRRRL, don't use Dark n Lovely or any other drugstore box o' color on your relaxed, natural or weave for that matter!! I was BSL and decided to go 'honey blonde' with my little kit of color...I ended up looking more like Ronald McDonald and had to cut my tresses to a bob :mad: DON'T DO IT GIRL!

man dont get microbraids on thin hair.. man that is how i ended up BALD in the temples. If you have some hair glue, throw it in the trash. Once again, i was BALD... BALD in the temples...

HoneyDew said:
Another one:

Trying to tie up a scarf in the back too tightly. It will break your nape all up. The same for the front!!

Then how do you tie it so that it is firm but not damaging the nape? My nape is ALLL ate up. GONE in less than three months!!! I have no idea how to nurse it back to health. Wheres a nape challenge and advice thread when you need it?? I need it *poking out lips* shoot.

HoneyDew said:
Dang yall going to know about about my business. :D

Leaving a wack weave job in for 4 months+!!! Can you say MATTED UP DREDS!!!! :(

Awe damn....mine has been in since mid Dec of last year. I hope my hair is okay. Only this weekend will tell......

e$h said:
Good thread:

Co-signing on everything! Especially tying the scarf xtra tight (that would be me) and lettin my stylist trim my ends all the freakin time.:eek: I would always ask myself do I really need my ends clipped. I would be like, "self, do I really need my ends clipped?" I always thought that because they are stylists they knew what they were doing.:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: Not always the case.

Youse wrong for calling yourself, "self"! LOL I did the same thing too.

Once I asked myself, I said self, should she really be putting vaseline in my "natural" bleached colored beyonce'd golden locks while then running a rattail comb through my "natural" 4b hair from top to bottom while blow drying my hair on high to get it smoother before she installs my micro braids all while I'm in tears in this chair from the intense pain???"

"SELF, GET DUMB ASS UP AND TELL HER HELL-TO-DA, HELL-TO-DA NAWL"!!!!

i got a hair cut 2 times in one month and got scare when it didnt grow:eek: :confused: :( :mad: :eek: didnt stop until it was 3inch and very very short in the back didnt start to grow until i came here:lol: :lol: never a gain:lol: :lol: :lol: :lachen:

Don't sit in the stylist chair scurred lol to say something when YOU are paying her..girl DONT DO IT ! I showed my stylist with my finger, how much to clip. 1 inch. The ***** clipped 2-3 inches in one area that had more length...she showed it to me, b/c she knew I had a mirror watching what she clipped and would see it...WTH ??? I told her firmly.." let - me - show you ONE - more - time...do NOT! clip my hair more than this ! "
If she clipped more, I was prePARED to get up and leave. No words. No shame in my game. I pay you. If you don't abide by my rules, you don't get paid.

Use a hard conditioner like Aphogee (heavy) and/or clarifying conditioner when it's almost time for a perm and you have hard water TOO ?.....giiiiirrrrrrrl don't you dare do it ! You will have matted dreads ! Not matted hair...matted dreads ! :lol:

Dont' mixed permed hair and jheri curl hair...you will have NO hair.

Don't get comfy when clipping your ends. I did last month and cut a small plug of length out....d-m ! lol

thefineprint said:
thought of some more:

Do NOT sit there and let a stylist jack up your hair. Say something if you disagree with what they are doing.

Do NOT let a stylist pull your relaxer through! I made this mistake more than once before I knew any better.

After getting braids and twists do NOT clip off the frizzy's sticking out of the braids like I did. It only caused split and uneven ends.

Do NOT rinse your hair in the sink - it only leads to tangling.

I could go on and on!!:lol:

Guilty!:perplexed Thanks for the tip!

Cleve_gryl said:
GIRRRL, don't use Dark n Lovely or any other drugstore box o' color on your relaxed, natural or weave for that matter!! I was BSL and decided to go 'honey blonde' with my little kit of color...I ended up looking more like Ronald McDonald and had to cut my tresses to a bob :mad: DON'T DO IT GIRL!

Stop it!!! I used Dark and Lovely "Honey Blonde" in my early twenties. After I was finished I looked like a leopard. :lachen:

Girl don't glue weave to your scalp or hair. :( It may be quick and easy but you will pay for it in the long run with thinning hair. :(

MamaBraidedIt said:
Girl don't glue weave to your scalp or hair. :( It may be quick and easy but you will pay for it in the long run with thinning hair. :(
Oh dear lord, if woulda known that last year. i wouldnt be nursin my temples back to health...

Dont let a stylist rake through your head with a fine tooth comb, no matter if your hair is fine or thick. You won't have a lick of hair on your head afterwards.

Don't let a stylist handle your hair like they're shucking corn or snapping green beans. This has been a pet peeve of mine since I was a child. A lot of stylists are heavy headed and act like they're working on a doll head or mannequin instead of a human. Hair is delicate and should be handled gently.

Dont do anything that puts too much tension on your hair, ie. too tight braids, too tight hair scarf, etc.

Dont blow dry your hair with the comb attachment. Trust me on this one, the process is so gradual that one day you will be looking at thinning hair and wonder how did this happen? Someone else on the board got me to realize this!

Do not use one of those cheap $10 Gold n' Hot flat irons
e040.gif
. (My biggest mistake ever)

Do not put off trimming your ends when they need it:whip: . That's just asking for breakage. I did this for years and wondered why my hair didn't get any longer.

Great thread! Seems like I am guilty of most of the things posted.

Don't skip the conditioner! If you're in a hurry wait until you have time.

Don't listen to a braider when she says "Oh, it will loosen up"

ITA relying totally on stylist is a big NO NO! Stylist do NOT know everything nor can they take care of your hair alone (since you're here I know this is not a problem)! Another thing, just because they've been doing hair fifty years doesn't mean they always know what's best or even know how to do hair.

Some of my hair horrors=
Relaxing every 2 to 4 weeks
Dying hair same day as relaxing
Letting a stylist apply a relaxer one day after I did
Ripping my hair out with a small tooth comb (hmm..2006)
Wearing too tight braids
Letting some glue tracks in my head
Pulling ponytail too tight
Wearing metal clips or bows
Oh! I could go on and on!

HoneyDew said:
Don't use a blow dryer with the comb attachment(or anything that pulls the hair) on a regular basis (NEVER if possible) by yourself.

I thinned and broke off my hair on the left side (I am right handed) because I could not do it safely with the heavy dryer I was using.

co-signing!! the dryer with the comb attachment always damages my hair from the intense heat that is put on the cuticles... From here on out I only use the dome dryer... the dome dryer is my friend:lol:

Don't bypass those strand tests, be it for relaxers or color. You will save yourself a lot of grief.

Back