Genetics? Regi? Sulphur? Diet? Castor Oil? Vitamins? Where y'all at?

Subscribe

I think this board has been around for over 12 years and everyday there is a debate about why we can or can't grow long hair, so I would like to see what I have to look forward to after 8+ years :yep:

Is anyone ........Hip? Tbl? Thigh?

Show us your pics :yep: and share your journey

Please :grin:

^ We have a handful of these princess length ladies :lick: .

I take notes from everyone who's gotten to unicorn status, but I can think of only one person (Inspiired) on here who's HL, type 4 that's not relaxed or doesn't keep her hair straight. Sera2552 (?) didn't grow her hair out using heat, but then she had to start keeping her hair straight to maintain it. The rest of our super long haired ladies are 2- loose 3s or relaxed or straight-haired naturals. Though if y'all are hiding, please come out from where y'all have been keeping your secrets :lol: :gorgeous: !!

I've been having doubts to whether I can reach my hair length goals with my curl pattern, especially with my 4b section that can't seem to catch up with the rest of my hair :sad:.

ckisland

Inspiired is TBL and she is 4b/c and does not straighten. She doesn't come around often, but she has a blog and a new youtube... She has major shrinkage and looks shoulder to above completely shrunken. It is amazing.

ETA: I just saw you mentioned Inspiired already. Isn't constance type 4 as well?

The other sister, LaVgirl did not have her hair straight in the pics I saw. She is TBL.

It is possible. I can see how people with 4 hair can get frustrated with it that long though and keep it shorter for ease of maintenance.

Last edited:
ckisland

Inspiired is TBL and she is 4b/c and does not straighten. She doesn't come around often, but she has a blog and a new youtube... She has major shrinkage and looks shoulder to above completely shrunken. It is amazing.

ETA: I just saw you mentioned Inspiired already. Isn't constance type 4 as well?

The other sister, LaVgirl did not have her hair straight in the pics I saw. She is TBL.
Thank you!

It is possible. I can see how people with 4 hair can get frustrated with it that long though and keep it shorter for ease of maintenance.

I know it's possible, but type 4s under those conditions are a rare find. I want to be one of those that make it big :lol:, but I keep getting tripped up and set back. constance is another amazing type 4 :yep:, but I can't remember if she blowdrys her hair frequently? And LaVgirl!! Yesss!!! :notworthy

I remember back in the day, if someone mentioned a HL+ type 4 non-straight natural inspiration there was like 1! The ranks have definitely been increasing :yep:.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for taggin me FroReal, tho I'm short-haired nowadays.

OP, I suggest you stay out of the debates, and focus on doing what's right for YOUR hair, and being CONSISTENT with those healthy hair practices.

Every other day there's a new trend, a new product line, a new technique etc... It's all bullsh*t and steers people off of their path. Then they end up w/ a set back, or stalled and wonder how it happened.

Consistent care leads to healthy growth and retention. IMO

In 8 years if you're diligent you'll be trippin over your hair as you walk :)

ckisland, makes me want to try to grow to HL! My original goal was MBL and now that I have only 3 or four inches to that, I'm thinking about going for waist. Hmmm...yall just keep on making me go further and further!

ckisland, makes me want to try to grow to HL! My original goal was MBL and now that I have only 3 or four inches to that, I'm thinking about going for waist. Hmmm...yall just keep on making me go further and further!

You can definitely do it. You take good care of your hair and you are determined to see it to where you want it. I was gonna stop at WL but now I want to get to HL just to do it. For funsies lol but also because I know I can. I just have to be on my A game and keep my eyes on the prize.

I'm a former TBL too. I would post a pic but I don't have time right now so I'll try to come back later. But some of my pics should be in the HL/TBL 2012 challenge. I'm primarily 4a with possibly a handful of 3B/3C on the top of my head.

Anyhoo, I agree with Whimsy 100%. Every word. The only thing that I will add is 1) stop going to the salon (I have said that all the time on this site, I no longer have breakage, I no longer even question whether I'm going to get my 6 inches of growth from this step alone) and 2) that if you are planning to be a long-haired person, you have to make decisions like a long-haired person. That is to say, you make them very slowly and very consciously considering the impact for years to come. Ex. I told you guys I was formerly TBL. Well, I cut my hair at the beginning of the year because a stylist three years ago straightened my hair and caused heat damage to the entire crown. Now I was fortunate because my hair wasn't breaking off, but it was never curly again. (That by the way was my last trip to the salon) The hair you have on your head now is going to still be there in 3/4/5 years if you're planning to be a long hair, so start thinking about how you want it to look now.

And I'll be back with a story, even though I do believe there is a WSL thread that talks about this somewhere.

Thanks for the tag, Froreal3. I am not TBL yet, hopefully next year. :-) I am HBL. I have never been relaxed and only use heat a couple times a year. Like Whimsy said, it's all about your hair care practices and consistently doing what works best for you.

Whimsy, I only have 2 seconds of hair compared to the ladies paged in this thread. However, when I took a seat and stop trying every trending topic, my hair progressed much better.

Thanks for tagging me Froreal3 & ckisland.

I'm 4a with some 4b at my crown and 3c in a narrow strip above my ears and at my nape.

I don't really bother much with my hair anymore. When I started I thought I needed this very involved routine including cowashing and 3x per week moisturizing, oiling, and detangling. No more. I rinse my hair 1x per wk and detangle while rinsing and then I apply oil and a leave in OR I dc followed by applying oil and a leave in.

I wash every other week with TJ shampoo, finger detangle and dc overnight with Aussie Moist. I know people say you can't dc with a non dc conditioner and that the length of time doesn't matter, but this routine works wonders for my hair.

I only use a comb 1-2x per month. Finger detangling works well and I only detangle in the shower with my hair dripping wet. Just keep your hair aligned/going in the same direction and you will be fine.

I had a lot of tangles when I started my hair journey and coconut oil was responsible for a lot of them. I recently used it and it was tangle city when I tried to rinse.

I don't straighten or blow dry much because my hair frizzes almost immediately despite my app. of serums. So although my hair is tbl it presents at bsl-wl depending.

I'm letting it grow to cl thinking it will present at hl.

Pic at tbl

Last edited:
Thanks for the tag bebezazueta,

Hey ladies i am 4b relaxed..l relax my hair every 10-12 wks depending on my new growths behavior

I have always stuck by my same Regi and its very simple to me co-wash,deep conditioning,protective styling 99.9 percent fof the time .

Also the ladies before me have given some great info:-)

Do what works for you and dont jump on every bandwagon..keep it simple.

I dont have any recent pics of me at tbl.cuz i am to lazy .

Thats all i have for now.

Thanks everyone for sharing.

I guess I'm looking for what 8+ years of healthy hair care practices looks like :yep: along with what worked for you.

I guess I would like to see if 3c - 4z has a track record of making it to HL/TBL or longer. Since people have been researching hair growth and retention for 12+ years, I thought this board would have LOTS of Hip ladies :yep:

^^^ Are you assuming everyone has been here for 12 years or that those that were here in the beginning are still here?

Thanks everyone for sharing.

I guess I'm looking for what 8+ years of healthy hair care practices looks like :yep: along with what worked for you.

I guess I would like to see if 3c - 4z has a track record of making it to HL/TBL or longer. Since people have been researching hair growth and retention for 12+ years, I thought this board would have LOTS of Hip ladies :yep:

There are lots of long hair ladies "whats ur regimen" type threads with TONS of pics. It doesn't take 8+ years to get there either. Do a search and you'll find loads of threads with the photo and info you seek.
Try to keep in mind that not everyone wants to be hip length, and not everyone stays on a forum for 12 years.
Also keep in mind researching something and actually putting into practice what you've learned are two different things.
Good luck on YOUR journey!!

We should revive/start that Army of long haired 4b naturals thread.

Good idea. I hope it's a new one, threads over 3+ years, I feel, should go to the thread graveyard :lol: Since everyone says everything has been talked about on this board, I wonder why Beverly just doesn't make it a research and read only section :ohwell:

A lot of pics in old threads the links are broken or the poster removed them. Also, the poster may have changed their regi or found out something new regarding their hair care practices.

Geez......

^^The stickys are more for research, which is why they are prominently placed. However, a thread that is 3 or more years old still has useful information. People are still using Lady Paniallo's (sp) moisture retention regimen, NJoy's oil, and SistaSlick's methods to grow their hair long. Honestly, I think more people maintain at WL anyway, which would definitely qualify as long. That doesn't mean there haven't been plenty of ladies that have grown to HL. Most I've seen cut back to WL or shorter because they don't want to maintain it or other reasons.

^^The stickys are more for research, which is why they are prominently placed. However, a thread that is 3 or more years old still has useful information. People are still using Lady Paniallo's (sp) moisture retention regimen, NJoy's oil, and SistaSlick's methods to grow their hair long. Honestly, I think more people maintain at WL anyway, which would definitely qualify as long. That doesn't mean there haven't been plenty of ladies that have grown to HL. Most I've seen cut back to WL or shorter because they don't want to maintain it or other reasons.
Froreal3

what is are all ladies mentioned methods.

You ladies inspire me SO much, thank you to everyone. I hope I've been able to help in any way possible. Thankfully, now with a YouTube channel I can now thoroughly start to show and teach you exactly what I do. I don't use heat and I don't comb my hair, but somehow my hair is still going! I look forward to further sharing all with you guys!

http://www.youtube.com/bootyfurl

daae

Lady Panialo went from TWA to waist/hip in 4 years using wigs and her "deep moisture method."
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=496712

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=497088&highlight=wigs

NJoy used/uses sulfur and baggying. She is natural now and about waist length again.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=517805

SistaSlick is a former LHCFer who wrote The Science of Black Hair. She has contributed lots of articles to Yahoo Voices and is about to appear on Dr. Oz.

I cut my hip length hair twice this year (April and July). I've had long hair most of my life, and I wanted a new hair style (Bob style - well past my shoulders).

I've showed pics throughout the years. For me, the less I do with my hair, the more it grows. My main drink is water. I eat healthy (still gluten free and dairy free YAY).

I had long hair when I was relaxed, but now that I've been natural this long, I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever (yes, never, ever) go back to relaxing. I love my healthy, curly hair.

Back