Fried hair from an early age!

I can definitely relate to some of the stories posted here. My mom didn't know how to handle my hair, so she started relaxing it when I was about 4 and every six weeks or so (except for the two months I got a jheri curl) it was relaxed from roots to end and I not knowing better either continued that bad habit up until Dec of last year. Besides over relaxing I used to wash my hair maybe twice a month at most (with all that blue grease I used!) No matter what I stuck to that rule because according to people around me black people aren't supposed to wash their hair too often or it will get too dry. On top of that I hardly ever used a conditioner after shampooing. I didn't really see the damage I was doing because my hair has always been thick and healthy looking in its overall appearance except for the fact that it never grew past collarbone length. Now I know that it is amazing that I even have hair on my head to talk about. Thanks to the knowledgeable ladies on this and other hairboards I have become more educated on how to properly care for my hair. At this time I am growing my hair out so that I can start over again with a healthy head of hair and hopefully "grow" from there. And after 8 months of growing my hair out I too noticed that my natural hair is quite wavy and easy to manage I just might decide never to relax my hair again.

I can honestly say my mother kept me and my sister's hair cornrowed most of the time and pressed on special occasions. She didn't let us get a perm until we were like 15 and she never did our hair herself, she took us to the salon.....don't ask me how she did it with 3 kids with one income but she did. It was when I took over that all hell broke lose, bleaching it, curling it everyday, and breaking it off. Now I'm back on track. I have a 3 year old, her hair is very thick, about shoulder length...u wouldn't believe the number of people who tell me to put a kiddie perm in her hair.....FOR WHAT!!!!!!....WHY DOES A 3 YEAR OLD NEED A PERM!!!!. Her hair won't be seeing perm until she is at least 16. When she's 16 and if she wants one then so be it..but anytime b4 that...no way.

My story is a bit different. I actually had a decent head of hair. My mother was a beautician before she became a nurse. I begged my mother to let me get a perm because I was teased of having natural hair. She resisted till I wore her down. Now I regretted that decision. My hair is like 2" , when stretched, past my shoulders. Nowadays I see so many little girls with raggedy ponytails and f-ed up kitchens, I just want to do their hair myself. Heck their mothers ain't doing ish.

Back