For those who went natural, Any regrets?

pretty-girl#1

Hey ladies,

I am so confused right now as to what I want to do with my hair. I have been transitioning for 34 weeks and I love the texture of my natural hair. I'm 3b/c shoulderblade length growing out layers and 1/2 of my hair is relaxed and the other 1/2 is natural! I must admit, I was 100% sure natural was the way for me because my natural texture is beautiful, but now I'm debating because I have a big forehead and most natural styles I see dont have hair in the face. I have always worn bangs and I prefer myself with them. I also like the way my hair looks when it's flat ironed and wrapped (all the body and layers etc.) What should I do? I can get my hair super straight with a flat iron (looks just like I had a relaxer) but I'm scared of the heat damage. I've never noticed heat damage before, but I know it was probably the main reason my hair stayed shoulder length for so long! I like both natural and relaxed! Is it possible to achieve a roller wrap with natural hair, if so can someone please post some pics for me (that will be very encouraging). Also, if anyone transitioned and had mid transitioning crisis please let me know the outcome!

Girl, I have one of the biggest foreheads in the world! Check me out! I'm sure you look fine with hair out ouf your face! As for the wrapped look, if you go natural you can have the best of both worlds. Kinky some days, strait on others. Heat damage- as long as you straiten it the correct way, you should be fine. Just think, even if you do go natural and youreally really don't like it, you can always relax it! HTH! :)

I have a big forehead too...but I likemy hair out of my face, cause then you can really see my facial features.....but I had an fall last April which left me with a scar on the right side of my forehead...and I was not trying to show it off...I started doing twist updos coming to that side...and sometimes I have bangs w/ twists...or I twist my bangs then untwist them later for twistout bangs....HTH

That's true, I can always relax if I don't like it! And you may have a fore head, but I got a five head! I like my head, I don't think it takes away from my beauty! I just like me better with my hair in my face.I would rock my hair all back every now and then, but on a regular I like my bangs! Ur natural hair is beautiful by the way!

naturallady said:
Girl, I have one of the biggest foreheads in the world! Check me out! I'm sure you look fine with hair out ouf your face! As for the wrapped look, if you go natural you can have the best of both worlds. Kinky some days, strait on others. Heat damage- as long as you straiten it the correct way, you should be fine. Just think, even if you do go natural and youreally really don't like it, you can always relax it! HTH! :)

Deniece said:
I have a big forehead too...but I likemy hair out of my face, cause then you can really see my facial features.....but I had an fall last April which left me with a scar on the right side of my forehead...and I was not trying to show it off...I started doing twist updos coming to that side...and sometimes I have bangs w/ twists...or I twist my bangs then untwist them later for twistout bangs....HTH

Did you ever go through a mid-transitioning crisis?

The only regret I have is that I wish I had did it sooner. I liked my relaxed hair but love my natural hair.

There are many styles you can wear so that your hair is not always completly off your face if you are uncomfortable with your forehead. In time I think you will change. I often wear my hair parted down the middle which sort of takes away some of the forehead.

Yes, you can go straight as well. I have one pic in my album that shows my straight hair since I choped in Feb 2005. I will be purchasing the Maxiglide sometime soon and will use it since I hear so many wonderful things about that iron with Naturals.

Hope this helps.

sunnygirl said:
The only regret I have is that I wish I had did it sooner. I liked my relaxed hair but love my natural hair.

There are many styles you can wear so that your hair is not always completly off your face if you are uncomfortable with your forehead. In time I think you will change. I often wear my hair parted down the middle which sort of takes away some of the forehead.

Yes, you can go straight as well. I have one pic in my album that shows my straight hair since I choped in Feb 2005. I will be purchasing the Maxiglide sometime soon and will use it since I hear so many wonderful things about that iron with Naturals.

Hope this helps.

Thanks girl, can you pm me the password to your album, I'd love to see your hair! Did you ever go through a mid-transitioning crisis?

pretty-girl#1 said:
Did you ever go through a mid-transitioning crisis?

The one time I did relax my hair was about 8 years ago.....I had the short Halle do, but hated the way my hair looked and felt relaxed, so I just kept it short and kept cutting till all the relaxed hair was gone....then I wore my hair in braids...each and every kind of way till I got substantial length....So maybe no crisis...lol. But I was a heat damaging lady...always pressing and didn't realize that was the reson why my hair never grew way past my shoulders...

Deniece said:
The one time I did relax my hair was about 8 years ago.....I had the short Halle do, but hated the way my hair looked and felt relaxed, so I just kept it short and kept cutting till all the relaxed hair was gone....then I wore my hair in braids...each and every kind of way till I got substantial length....So maybe no crisis...lol. But I was a heat damaging lady...always pressing and didn't realize that was the reson why my hair never grew way past my shoulders...

I think heat was my culprit too, I could never get past shoulder length! Thanks so much!

Pretty-Girl,
I don't have anything to add as of right now, but i was definitely taking in the responses as I am transitioning as well. (if I don't chicken out). I have the same exact issues as you have (love my hair straight, but more in love with my natural texture), so the responses were good to read. But as one poster mentioned, you can always relax if worse comes to worse (after you have completely transitioned)

NO regrets although I'm not completely natural. You can have a nicely layered cut to hide your forehead. you can even place a few curls in the right places or part your hair to take attention away from what you're self conscious about.

There are some great range of pictures with hair on and off the face...
http://www.curve-salon.com/pix-galore.htm

I love to look at this to get style ideas. I hear mixed reviews more good than bad about the salon its self. But you have to admit that most of these curly styles look really nice.

the only regret i have is that i relaxed my hair and i am transitioning back to natural!! i cant wait till April i am going to BIG CHOPPING!!

My only regrets are getting a relaxer again. I grew my hair out with braids for 4 years. My natural hair was long and pretty I permed it because I didn't know what to do with it. My hair broke off and it never grew no mater what I did with it. I chopped my permed hair off and started over now my hair is natural and growing like weed.

I have a big forehead too. I never thought I would be comfortable with the extra head showing. Well I've been in kinky twists for 6 weeks and have been very comfortable pulling them back into a ponytail. Try it and see, get a style that you can pull back. FOr me, I think it may have to do with having texture also.

Thanks so much for all the responses ladies. I think Natural is the way to go. Is this normal? You know, the mid-transitioning crisis thing. Did any of you feel in the middle of the process like relaxing? I don't know where this sudden desire to relax came from. I think I read too many threads about heat damage. I love my straight hair, and heat will be my only option once I'm 100% natural. Any tips on how to straighten with as less heat damage as possible?

littleaudie said:
NO regrets although I'm not completely natural. You can have a nicely layered cut to hide your forehead. you can even place a few curls in the right places or part your hair to take attention away from what you're self conscious about.

There are some great range of pictures with hair on and off the face...
http://www.curve-salon.com/pix-galore.htm

I love to look at this to get style ideas. I hear mixed reviews more good than bad about the salon its self. But you have to admit that most of these curly styles look really nice.

Thanks so much for posting this site, AMAGING:grin: !!!!!

I had and have no regrets, aside from not doing it sooner. Check out Carefree's album for pics on rollerset natural hair. Our hairtypes are almost identical, and per pics inspired me to do the same, with stunning results.

You can always style your natural hair to give you a bang effect, but I wouldn't advise cutting bangs into natural hair unless they are long bangs.

There really are few limitations with most heads of natural hair. Natural hair has the best of all worlds in my opinion, because you can always flatiron it or smooth out your texture with a roller-set. If you go 100% natural, you might find that you don't even care to flatiron your hair often or at all. I've been natural now for one year and I've ironed my hair only five times, keeping it straight for no longer than 6 days. Even though I get a beautiful relaxed hair look when I flatiron, I always miss my texture. And even though I've been afraid of possible heat damage each time, it hasn't happened. Just be careful not to use too high a temperature and to use a heat protectant on your hair. Also not a bad idea to deep condition before you flatiron and at the first shampoo afterwards.

balisi said:
I had and have no regrets, aside from not doing it sooner. Check out Carefree's album for pics on rollerset natural hair. Our hairtypes are almost identical, and per pics inspired me to do the same, with stunning results.

You can always style your natural hair to give you a bang effect, but I wouldn't advise cutting bangs into natural hair unless they are long bangs.

There really are few limitations with most heads of natural hair. Natural hair has the best of all worlds in my opinion, because you can always flatiron it or smooth out your texture with a roller-set. If you go 100% natural, you might find that you don't even care to flatiron your hair often or at all. I've been natural now for one year and I've ironed my hair only five times, keeping it straight for no longer than 6 days. Even though I get a beautiful relaxed hair look when I flatiron, I always miss my texture. And even though I've been afraid of possible heat damage each time, it hasn't happened. Just be careful not to use too high a temperature and to use a heat protectant on your hair. Also not a bad idea to deep condition before you flatiron and at the first shampoo afterwards.

OMG! only 1 year natural? Your growth is amazing! My natural hair is not long enough for a puff, but my waves look just like your waves! I hope my hair is as pretty as yours! I love the pin up with the bangs on the side! I can get down with that one! How long did you transition before the BC? also, your flat ironed hair is pretty as well!

pretty-girl#1 said:
Thanks so much for all the responses ladies. I think Natural is the way to go. Is this normal? You know, the mid-transitioning crisis thing. Did any of you feel in the middle of the process like relaxing? I don't know where this sudden desire to relax came from. I think I read too many threads about heat damage. I love my straight hair, and heat will be my only option once I'm 100% natural. Any tips on how to straighten with as less heat damage as possible?

It is a stage we all have been through. Last year I was really doubting my decision to go natural. I did it the hard way by transitioning versus doing the big chop. I had people asking me when I was going to get a perm. It helps speaking to other naturals. I remember calling Miss Brown about wanting to perm. I really love my natural hair. I still go through my moments. At the DC meetings, I start thinking maybe I should at least press my hair. At the DC meetings, we have several long, straight hair relaxed beauties that come out and I get so tempted to press my hair. I try to not use heat unless I am coloring my hair. I don't have any regrets except I wish I did the BC versus transitioning. My brother was telling me that my hair looks so much better natural. It's compliments like that which make all the hassles and doubts fade.

Country gal said:
It is a stage we all have been through. Last year I was really doubting my decision to go natural. I did it the hard way by transitioning versus doing the big chop. I had people asking me when I was going to get a perm. It helps speaking to other naturals. I remember calling Miss Brown about wanting to perm. I really love my natural hair. I still go through my moments. At the DC meetings, I start thinking maybe I should at least press my hair. At the DC meetings, we have several long, straight hair relaxed beauties that come out and I get so tempted to press my hair. I try to not use heat unless I am coloring my hair. I don't have any regrets except I wish I did the BC versus transitioning. My brother was telling me that my hair looks so much better natural. It's compliments like that which make all the hassles and doubts fade.

I think ur natural hair is beautiful! U r a natural beauty! I know the way you feel because I think looking at long straight relaxed hair makes us want it! I can totally relate! I think this thread has sealed my decision to stay on this natural journey! I will not turn back! I think I was just at a weak moment and needed some encouragement. Thanks so much and HHG!

Hey Pretty-girl#1! I know where you are coming from for real. I am on my third and final transition. My first transition was 13 months long and I relaxed a month later and truly regretted it not too long after.

I go through the same thing you are mentioning as well... seeing beautiful long relaxed hair, and thinking of relaxing. Then I remember all of my reasons for transitioning such as my overall health (hair and body), styling versatility and embracing what God has given me to name a few.:)

KiSseS03 said:
Hey Pretty-girl#1! I know where you are coming from for real. I am on my third and final transition. My first transition was 13 months long and I relaxed a month later and truly regretted it not too long after.

I go through the same thing you are mentioning as well... seeing beautiful long relaxed hair, and thinking of relaxing. Then I remember all of my reasons for transitioning such as my overall health (hair and body), styling versatility and embracing what God has given me to name a few.:)

Great,
I'm not alone! I know exactly what you mean. Like, you know it's the best decision but tradition shoots you right back to wanting a relaxer. We'll just have to keep each other encouraged! How long have you been transitioning now? 13 months is a very long time!

My only regret when I went natural was that I didn't know what to do with my "new" hair and neither did anyone in Dallas. But I did revert back to kiddie relaxer because I work in media and it is a little intimidating for people with the stereotypes about black women with natural hair.

I thought about going back natural and wore my hair in twist when I was stretching my perm and my boss had the audacity to say
"We need to pray for your hair" Needless to say I didn't stay there too long afterwards.

I don't regret going natural, I feel that this is the healthiest and strongest that my hair has ever been.

Well Im transitioining and if I wanted long relaxed hair Id buy some. That way I could damage it all I wanted and then I could take it outta my head. Sew-ins can look just as good and sometimes better than relaxed hair. I dont think after all this hard work and time Id go back... especially now since Ive seen the damage. My natural hais is so much thicker and full of life in comparison to my relaxed hair. But thats just my experience. Good luck!

Back