For those who went natural, Any regrets?

Definitely regret not doing it sooner! It's hard to deal with some days, but I love it! I can be straight or curly...I change my hair with my mood!! It's great!!

I have no regrets. it s actually the opposite i m pleasantly surprised. i have been completely natural for 6 months. from a big chop in june 05 so it has not been a year. i saw in 6 months all the stages from bald-headed twa to my current length and i m so surprised my hair is more manageable than my permed hair. I mean its always soft, it doesnt need a lot of stuff to keep moisture, cowashes are good for it and i can always flat ironed if i want. i dont use heat til i reach waistlength. i just love my twistouts i dont lose tons of hair, i dont lose strands of hair anymore, i dont have no thinning. i dont even trim even though i know i will once i reach my goal. and contrary to what i thought that natural 4b would be too difficult to care for i ask myself why i did not do it sooner. i found a way to keep my hair straight with banding and the longer my hair gets, the softer and the straighter i finally love my hair and i m the way God intended me to be so glad i dont have to use relaxers anymore . if i want straight hair all i have to do is flat iron it. now i just want natural waistlength hehehe:D

I was natural for awhile and ended up relaxing again. Still, I don't regret going natural at all. I think the knowledge I gained about my natural hair texture has really helped me.

What I regret is not knowing how to do more creative styles with my natural hair. I cannot cornrow my own head to save my life (which would make being creative alot easier). Oh! And I regret the two times I relaxed my hair after going natural before. I'm still working on those cornrows though! ;)

I <3 my hair! I've been natural for a year and I don't regret my journey...it's been fun, and a learning experience. I wish the same for you!

Phoenix said:
I was natural for awhile and ended up relaxing again. Still, I don't regret going natural at all. I think the knowledge I gained about my natural hair texture has really helped me.

Yep, me too.:yep:

No regretful at all.

I love my hair. ANd while others may not get it (especially some black women). I love the texture, the kinks, the coils, the satiny sheen. The detangling, the knots, everything.

It has taken me a long time to shake off all the negatives from childhood about my hair. Bad hair, nappy hair, UGH!!!

Finding my hair and accepting it has made a lot of difference in how I see myself. And I think in how others see me, too.

Poohbear said:
I transitioned for almost 8 months (from Oct 2004 to May 2005). I was planning on transitioning longer, but my new growth was way too thick and the relaxed ends were just damaged, thin, puny, & breaking off. So I did the BC on May 1st. I was relieved. I do not regret going natural whatsoever. One thing I did regret... using heat right after doing the BC. But not really... I had to do a second BC due to heat damage. This second BC got rid of any potential damaged hair from transitioning and scab hair. Now, I feel totally content. I made a vow to myself to never use chemicals nor heat ever again on my hair. I believe you can do a roller wrap on natural hair if it is long enough. Check out carefree's album. Hope that helps! Hang in there and take care!

Thanks and HHG! I'm on my way to carefree's album right now!

Faith said:
I hear ya. I have been ticked at myself that I went back to the relaxer AFTER 5 years natural. Sigh! I really thought it would be better this time around because I thought the reason it didn't work out before was because I used heat a lot and relaxed often and also wore it down a lot. Not true. I don't do any of that now and still my hair is having issues with the relaxers. I wish...I wish..I WISH I had gone to a hair dresser to get a blowdry/flatiron BEFORE I went permanently straight. Sigh!

I'm in individual braids now (no extensions) and I'm getting hopeful I will make it. I'm almost 15 weeks P.R.

Anybody need a transitioning buddy? I'm 4b/a and started October 9th. My hair is currently waist length. I wish I got it to waist length all natural but I'll be there one day.

Yes you will! I'm sorry for the set back, but if you keep on transitioning 15 weeks will soon turn to 51 weeks! Time flys by! I've been transitioning for 36 weeks now and it seems like yesterday when I first started! HHG

ChildlikeEmpress said:
Gotta agree with everyone who's said their only regret is not doing it sooner! :lol: I actually resented my hair when it was relaxed and was always envying the way someone else's looked. Now, my hair -- just as God made it -- is part of my identity, and I love it. If my hair were straight, I just wouldn't look like me. (And yeah, that's me in the icon. Hi, world. :))

My hair is very, VERY thick and I've thought about texturizing before, but even that measure never quite seems worth it. The tangles can be frustrating sometimes, but compared to dealing with chemicals, it's a very minor inconvenience. And I love being able to wash or rinse my hair whenever I like. Instead of fearing rain, I know that water just makes my hair look better!

~R. :Rose:

You and your hair are beautiful! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! O.K., I Can sport a wash and go with the bangs look like you got! Absolutely beautiful! HHG

No regrets at all!!!

Well, I do have one...I wished I had gone natural sooner.

Okay, I have two...I shaved my head bald for my bc and I wished I had transitioned for a few months first.

Okay, I have three...I wished I hadn't taken the advice of a friend who told me the only way I could "manage" my hair was to get a texturizer. I tried to give my self one and ended up shaving my head bald again.

After that ordeal, I decided to learn how to "manage" the hair God gave/"blessed" me with and I've been happy ever since.

No looking back, only looking forward to a life of continued natural freedom. :):)

Natural...gotta love it!!! And I do!!!

Asha97 said:
No regrets at all!!!

Well, I do have one...I wished I had gone natural sooner.

Okay, I have two...I shaved my head bald for my bc and I wished I had transitioned for a few months first.

Okay, I have three...I wished I hadn't taken the advice of a friend who told me the only way I could "manage" my hair was to get a texturizer. I tried to give my self one and ended up shaving my head bald again.

After that ordeal, I decided to learn how to "manage" the hair God gave/"blessed" me with and I've been happy ever since.

No looking back, only looking forward to a life of continued natural freedom. :):)

Natural...gotta love it!!! And I do!!!

LOL, U ARE FUNNY! HHG

Cheleigh said:
Your hair in your avatar is stunning, just beautiful.
Thank you! :D And good luck with your transition. Just be warned that for the first few weeks... or months... after you chop, you won't be able to stop touching your hair. And some of us still aren't over it two years later. :look: ::tugs on a coil and watches it snap back::

pretty-girl#1 said:
You and your hair are beautiful! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! O.K., I Can sport a wash and go with the bangs look like you got! Absolutely beautiful!
Aw, thanks. :kiss: It took me awhile to get bangs, though, between the fact that I BCed (meaning, I had about an inch of hair to begin with) and the trimming obsession I had for about a year. Anyway, it's nice to know that I've helped ease your fears, albeit indirectly.

~R. :Rose:

i just wanted to say once again that i still have no regrets and this is still the best thing I've ever done for my hair.

littleaudie said:
NO regrets although I'm not completely natural. You can have a nicely layered cut to hide your forehead. you can even place a few curls in the right places or part your hair to take attention away from what you're self conscious about.

There are some great range of pictures with hair on and off the face...
http://www.curve-salon.com/pix-galore.htm

I love to look at this to get style ideas. I hear mixed reviews more good than bad about the salon its self. But you have to admit that most of these curly styles look really nice.

Hey...is this CURVE SALON "SILKENER" a texturizer? If so, isn't that considered "texturized" hair rather than natural hair? Educate me. ;)

tropicexotic said:
I wanted to add a thanks for posting this, I always forget how many naturals we have on this board. :) I luv it.

No, thank you for responding! I sure appreciate all the support I've recieved from this thread! It has been the rock that held me up at a moment of weakness on my natural journey. I sure appreciate and love all you women on lhcf for your continued support! HHG!

Absolutely NO regrets! I love the versatility of natural hair. Right now, I'm loving twists! However, my husband loves my hair straight. I flat iron my hair about every 2-3 months. I transitioned for a while and never had any reservations during my transition period. The more I saw the coils springing from my scalp, the more determined I was to complete my quest for natural hair!

Back