For those who went from shoulder length hair to brastrap...What's your secret??

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Ok I'm curious to know what were the main things that you did to your hair on a regular basis to achieve our length. :think: Was it the products you were using? Deep Conditioning treatments, stable regime, not combing your hair, protective styling? Anything goes in the quest for long, beautiful, silky, shiny hair. I am asking "What is your secret"?

Well, i've been bunning my hair since I've joined the forum. I've maybe worn my hair out 30-40 days max per year. I use mostly keracare products (shampoo, conditioner, serum <--sometimes), hollywood beauty olive cholesterol - with honey and EVOO added to container, st. ives fortifying reconstructer <--- discontinued, nexxus emergencee, Aubrey Organics GPB <-- lite protein which is EXCELLENT, wild growth oil <--- when i remember, lacio lacio and arosci leave-ins, tigi ego boost, profectiv healthy ends, ORS carrot oil and elasta qp feels like silk <---the last 2 just added. These r my staple products.

I mainly take care of my hair myself, and only visit the salon for an occasional wash n set and for my relaxers. I get a trim when i NEED a trim, not b/c i'm relaxing (and i get dry trims). I hsould point out that i haven't had a trim since 6/04 and my ends have never looked better.

I dont have a secret, per se, i comb my hair daily, keep my hair away from cottons, polyester, etc. and only let my ends touch silk, skin or satin. I should point out the minute i walk in the door, i let my hair "breath" by taking it down and lightly massage my scalp (if i feel like it, i use my oil combination - jojoba, castor, rosemary, peppermint, lavender, coconut, aloe vera, avocado and sweet almond). I sleep with a bonnet or scarf on and that's about it. I haven't had my hair braided in 2 years and am currently heading a braid challenge for 8 months.

Last edited:
CaramelHonee said:
Well, i've been bunning my hair since I've joined the forum. I've maybe worn my hair out 30-40 days max per year. I use mostly keracare products (shampoo, conditioner, serum <--sometimes), hollywood beauty olive cholesterol - with honey and EVOO added to container, st. ives fortifying reconstructer <--- discontinued, nexxus emergencee, Aubrey Organics GPB <-- lite protein which is EXCELLENT, wild growth oil <--- when i remember, lacio lacio and arosci leave-ins, tigi ego boost, profectiv healthy ends, ORS carrot oil and elasta qp feels like silk <---the last 2 just added. These r my staple products.

I mainly take care of my hair myself, and only visit the salon for an occasional wash n set and for my relaxers. I get a trim when i NEED a trim, not b/c i'm relaxing (and i get dry trims).

I dont have a secret, per se, i comb my hair daily, keep my hair away from cottons, polyester, etc. and only let my ends touch silk, skin or satin. I should point out the minute i walk in the door, i let my hair "breath" by taking it down and lightly massage my scalp (if i feel like it, i use my oil combination - jojoba, castor, rosemary, peppermint, lavender, coconut, aloe vera, avocado and sweet almond. I sleep with a bonnet or scarf on and that's about it. I haven't had my hair braided in 2 years and am currently heading a braid challenge for 8 months.
Could you please give me the recipe (i.e. measurements) for your oil combination and how you apply it?

Also, how do you apply TIGI ego boost and how often do you use it? I have a bottle of it and have just started using it and would like to use it again.

Also, about the Hollywood beauty cholesterol. How often do you use it and does the mineral oil at all both your scalp?

I had a blunt above Shoulder length cut for my wedding in 2000.
I started to grow it out early 2001. I reached bra strap length summer 2003. I was going to dominicans for my touchups which I got every 6-7 weeks. Deep conditioned every week. Wrapped (doobie) hair every single night. I did not get a trim the entire time.
I finally had it trimmed summer 2003, got a blunt cut of 3-4 inches in Nov 2004.
During that time my staples were Loreal colorvive mask and daily conditioner. Which I love and would go back to if I hadn't found NTM. I use to sleep in the loreal mask and rinse the next day.
My hair is growing much faster now since I strted stretching relaxer and combing hair once a week.

@ T2GMH - i dont really measure the oils but if i recall correctly, i used about 3-4 drops of the castor, rosemary & jojoba oils, 1 drop of peppermint (im traumatized, long story :rofl: ), and poured in the rest of the oils until the 2 oz container was full. I pour a little on my fingertips (don't laugh) and massage my scalp in sections (4). This lasts for a good 2-3 minutes. I then hang my head off my bed so that my hair is splayed out and then give myself a nice 5 minute massage. Mind you, i do NOT do this everyday... i only do this when i have time (sometimes once a month, or 2x a week)

1 (sometimes 2) squirt of the ego boost, and a quartersize amount of the profectiv, rubbed 2gether and apply to the entire length of my ponytail. Using the ego alone causes the hair to 'harden'

Hollywood Cholesterol is used everytime i wash my hair (once a week - sometimes twice, again depending on my free time). After washing and using the AO GPB, i apply my keracare humecto and the cholesterol to my hair, plastic cap for like 5-15 minutes and then rinse.

That's about it.

@ Mona - :kiss: girl u r too cute!

CaramelHonee said:
@ T2GMH - i dont really measure the oils but if i recall correctly, i used about 3-4 drops of the castor, rosemary & jojoba oils, 1 drop of peppermint (im traumatized, long story :rofl: ), and poured in the rest of the oils until the 2 oz container was full. I pour a little on my fingertips (don't laugh) and massage my scalp in sections (4). This lasts for a good 2-3 minutes. I then hang my head off my bed so that my hair is splayed out and then give myself a nice 5 minute massage. Mind you, i do NOT do this everyday... i only do this when i have time (sometimes once a month, or 2x a week)

1 (sometimes 2) squirt of the ego boost, and a quartersize amount of the profectiv, rubbed 2gether and apply to the entire length of my ponytail. Using the ego alone causes the hair to 'harden'

Hollywood Cholesterol is used everytime i wash my hair (once a week - sometimes twice, again depending on my free time). After washing and using the AO GPB, i apply my keracare humecto and the cholesterol to my hair, plastic cap for like 5-15 minutes and then rinse.

That's about it.

@ Mona - :kiss: girl u r too cute!

Thanks CH, for this tip and the other tips that you gave me. I will bookmark this page :grin:.

sylver2 said:
I started to grow it out early 2001. I reached bra strap length summer 2003. I was going to dominicans for my touchups which I got every 6-7 weeks. Deep conditioned every week. Wrapped (doobie) hair every single night. I did not get a trim the entire time.
I finally had it trimmed summer 2003, got a blunt cut of 3-4 inches in Nov 2004.
During that time my staples were Loreal colorvive mask and daily conditioner. Which I love and would go back to if I hadn't found NTM. I use to sleep in the loreal mask and rinse the next day.
My hair is growing much faster now since I strted stretching relaxer and combing hair once a week.

Hey Sylver2 :wave: ,

So you went to dominicans regularly during the entire time you went from shoulder to bra strap? And you didn't stretch your relaxer during this time?

I am asking because I don't think I can stretch my hair very much while my hair is at this length. My roots are so coiled and kinky when they are growing out. I think it will be easier to stretch when my hair gets closer to my armpit because I can use other methods of styling my hair while I am stretching. I am going to try to go for 8-10 weeks next time. I just got a relaxer after 7 weeks. I am also going to dominicans 1x per week for wash/set and now relaxer.

For me, protective hairstyles do the job. Over the past several years, I've worn just about every pin-up, french twist, and bun you can think of. I wear those styles not for the purpose of growing my hair long, so much as I just like to wear my hair up more. I've never been able to do my own hair so I've gone to the hairdresser every two weeks for as long as I can remember....not till I found this website did I have the guts to try to do my own hair.

Good thread!

What helped me:
1) Rare direct heat (I used to flat iron every week).Now, maybe once a relaxer cylcle. Once I went about 6 months...
2) I've always worn a satin scarf to bed
3) I got some Wild growth oil, and then learned to make my own.
4) Wearing my hair up more.
5) Looking at ingredients lists for what I want (example: propolyene glycol)

And finally, moving to atlanta I think has helped my hair - I've always retained more length while I'm here, and it's more comfortable to wash and wear in a curly ponytail here all year round.:)

Last edited:
Thanx Mona! I had this burning desire to ask this question but kept forgetting to whenever I logged on to the LHCF boards.Yay I finally rememberd...go me go me!:grin:

Last edited:
vikkisecret said:
Ok I'm curious to know what were the main things that you did to your hair on a regular basis to achieve our length. :think: Was it the products you were using? Deep Conditioning treatments, stable regime, not combing your hair, protective styling? Anything goes in the quest for long, beautiful, silky, shiny hair. I am asking "What is your secret"?

Yes definitely a great thread!!!

Thanks vikkisecret :D

vikkisecret said:
Thanx Mona! I had this burning desire to ask this question but kept forgetting to whenever I logged on to the LHCF boards.Yay I finally rememberd...go me go me!:grin:

LOL!! Yes! Go Vikki!!;) I love informational threads, especially like this.

1. I wore a lot of buns and other protective styles. I was also doing the Vaseline/baggie technique (see Adrienne0914's picturetrail page for directions).

2. I was conditioner washing my hair daily or at least 3 times a week. :bath2:

3. I rarely used direct heat in the first place.

4. I did lots of pretreatments with my friend, Mayonnaise :lick:

5. I made my stylist stop all that "trimming." She was cutting off 2-3 inches of healthy hair off every time I came to the shop :shocked:

6. I stretched my relaxer touch-up times. (3 months was the usual stretch).

So altogether, with 3 unneeded cuts, I went from above shoulder length to brastrap in 14 months.

HTH :wave:

anky said:
So altogether, with 3 unneeded cuts, I went from above shoulder length to brastrap in 14 months.

Dayum. I'm trying to get down like that gangsta...LOL.

Beautiful results girl.

WoW that's alot of growth in 14 months Anky:clap: especially after getting those trims. Well when your hair was shoulder length what hairtstyles did you use?

What helped me was wearing my hair pinned up or clipped up, moisturizing my ends daily with oil and using direct heat only once a month.

winterinatl said:
Good thread!

What helped me:
1) Rare direct heat (I used to flat iron every week).Now, maybe once a relaxer cylcle. Once I went about 6 months...
2) I've always worn a satin scarf to bed
3) I got some Wild growth oil, and then learned to make my own.
4) Wearing my hair up more.
5) Looking at ingredients lists for what I want (example: propolyene glycol)

And finally, moving to atlanta I think has helped my hair - I've always retained more length while I'm here, and it's more comfortable to wash and wear in a curly ponytail here all year round.:)
Could you share your WGO recipe with us please?

sylver2 said:

:yep: I believe the inches lost to overzealous trims last year was the only reason I was not at brastrap. I was verrrry close by the end of summer. If I can keep away from all trims this year, I'm confident that's where I'll be.

Nyambura said:
:yep: I believe the inches lost to overzealous trims last year was the only reason I was not at brastrap. I was verrrry close by the end of summer. If I can keep away from all trims this year, I'm confident that's where I'll be.

Hi Nyambura,

I'm above shoulder length...at what point do you think one should stop trimming??

sylver2 said:
Sylver did you wear protective styles while growing it out? Thanks.

Great thread! :up:

Like CaramelHonee I too make sure my ends only touch silk, satin or a smooth fabric. I always sleep in my silk/satin scarf and silk pillowcase. I recently learned from Silver2 to wear my satin (or silk) scarf around the house and while driving, to keep my hair moisturized and looking good. I recently purchased a huge pretty silk scarf and an oversized silk bonnet for long hair (from tenderheaded.com).
I've washed and deep conditioned every 3 days since July 2003. There is something about this that is really working for my hair. It has to be all that extra moisture.

So far, I've stayed away from all heat since July 2003 and that has kept my hair on my head and my hair always feels moisturized.

I make sure my ends are moisturized twice each day, upon awakening and before going to bed. This is a habit now like brushing my teeth.

Throughout the rest of 2003 and part of 2004, I wore updos and buns daily. Then I learned about braidouts and now I alternate that style with my buns and updos.

I stretch my relaxers to 13 weeks, that has made a great difference in the strength and health of my hair! I used to faithfully relax every 8 weeks.

No trimming.

I recently started to regularly massage my scalp with certain essential oil combos before each wash and leave it on 30-60 minutes. I don't know yet the results except it sure feels great!

I think and speak lovingly about my hair to myself, always. I feel this is probably the most important key to growing healthy and long hair.

Great thread! I'm taking notes! I hate wearing buns and updos all the time but I can see the results of doing it. I also wash every three days, moisturize twice daily and deep condition weekly. My satin scarf and pillowcase have become a must when going to sleep. I hope to be bra strap by the end of summer. Crossing my fingers......

Back