For those who went from shoulder length hair to brastrap...What's your secret??

I had a shoulder cut in Feb.2003 and made bra strap in Dec.2004 and in Jan.2005 I cut 4 inches off :(

Before LHCF I would cut 1-2 inches every three months just because, and get a touchup every 6-9 weeks. I have never done protective styles or surge and do not take vitamins. I would wash my hair every week blow dry it and than flat iron it.

I AM NO HELP!!!!!

A pic of me in 2001 with above shoulder length hair
9928.jpg

sylver2 said:
9928.jpg

You have beautiful, long hair sylver but the short cut looks really cute on you too.

I did the same thing as many of the other ladies: wore protective styles most of the time, moisturized my ends everyday, did conditioner washes, slept in a silk scarf, and minimized heat so now it's every three months when I get a touch up and the occasional "need to look cute for a particular event" blowdry.

tryn2growmyhair said:
Could you share your WGO recipe with us please?

Yes ma'am. It's pretty simple, and I fool with the percentages from time to time...

1 part EVOO
1 part jojoba oil
1 part liquid soy lecithin (Vitteshoppe, GNC, Whole foods)
frangrace oil

Last time, I put a little less lecithin in the mixture, and it seems more moisturizing to me. I use rose perfume oil, smells so good:D .

sylver2 said:
9928.jpg
You're beautiful with short hair AND long hair! Your hair looks nice and healthy when it was shorter too! Thanks for posting this pic! My hair was this length at the end of 2003. Now I can at least say my hair should be your length by 2007 :D ...but my relaxed ends will be cut off by then! :grin: I'll probably have a little past shoulder length natural hair! ;)

winterinatl said:
Yes ma'am. It's pretty simple, and I fool with the percentages from time to time...

1 part EVOO
1 part jojoba oil
frangrace oil

Last time, I put a little less lecithin in the mixture, and it seems more moisturizing to me. I use rose perfume oil, smells so good:D .
Thanks for the tip. Has this worked as well for you as regular WGO?

sylver2 said:
9928.jpg
Wow Sylver2 - your hair was gorgeous then too! You are not aging either - you look just as beautiful now.

No secret, here.

I went to a Dominican salon every Sunday and got a wash, set, blow and wrap.

The day before I went, I would pre-shampoo my hair with oil. I used a rotation (a different one out of four each week) or Amla, Vatika, EVOO and another oil. I would apply it to dry hair until my hair was saturated, place a shower cap on my head, and sit under my heating cap (I didn't have a bonnet dryer at the time) for two hours. I would then let it rinse in the shower for a couple of minutes, shampoo my hair (leaving the shampoo on for 1 minute) and deep condition (Salerm Wheat Germ Oil Mascarilla Capilar or LeKair's Cholesterol Plus) and leave it on for 10 minutes.

My hair went from just barely touching my shoulders to BSL in about a year. My hair was a little longer than Sylver's in the picture she posted here.

My secret is not a lot of manipulation/styling. I do my own hair, I would never trust a beautician; and I give myself regular trims. I wash and condition my hair daily with a moisturizing products, deep condition weekly, and protein condition once a month with a mild protein conditioner. I also make sure my scalp is in good shape by using an infusion of essential oils of Rosemary, Tea Tree, Sage, and Cedarwood in Horsetail Tea on my scalp.

Boadicea said:
No secret, here.

I went to a Dominican salon every Sunday and got a wash, set, blow and wrap.

The day before I went, I would pre-shampoo my hair with oil. I used a rotation (a different one out of four each week) or Amla, Vatika, EVOO and another oil. I would apply it to dry hair until my hair was saturated, place a shower cap on my head, and sit under my heating cap (I didn't have a bonnet dryer at the time) for two hours. I would then let it rinse in the shower for a couple of minutes, shampoo my hair (leaving the shampoo on for 1 minute) and deep condition (Salerm Wheat Germ Oil Mascarilla Capilar or LeKair's Cholesterol Plus) and leave it on for 10 minutes.

My hair went from just barely touching my shoulders to BSL in about a year. My hair was a little longer than Sylver's in the picture she posted here.

Hey Boadicea,

Girl I didn't know that your hair went from above shoulder to bra-strap in a year. That's great girl. That gives me even more faith in our Dominican Challenge!!!!

I'm going to document my progress often, because if I make it to BSL I know that ANYONE can. I can't wait!!!

I had been at bra-strap for about a year and a half due to unnecessary trims every 8 weeks. No secrets here:

-no heat appliances ever
-no stylists/no salons
-no hair products w/alcohol in them (no hairsprays, no spritz)
-greasing my scalp (yeah, yeah, yeah...I heard it was bad, but my hair is very healthy despite the hype).
-protective styles (just started them in March 05, and I have no splits anywhere, eventhough I haven't had a trim since Jan 05, and don't plan on trimming 'til Jan 06).

Last edited:
Jewell said:
I had been at bra-strap for about a year and a half due to unnecessary trims every 8 weeks. No secrets here:

-no heat appliances ever
-no stylists/no salons
-no hair products w/alcohol in them (no hairsprays, no spritz)
-greasing my scalp (yeah, yeah, yeah...I heard it was bad, but my hair is very healthy despite the hype).
-protective styles (just started them in March 05, and I have no splits anywhere, eventhough I haven't had a trim since Jan 05, and don't plan on trimming 'til Jan 06).

I agree with everthing said here, but I REEEAAALLLY agree with the bolded part.

winterinatl said:

1 part EVOO
1 part jojoba oil
frangrace oil

What is EVOO???

lveurslf said:
I would love to know this also.
When the end are unbearable in terms of being raggerly. If hair is in protective styles and ends are protected no need to cut. I usually do a dusting of my ends twice a year. Dusting is not even a cut but slight and I mean slight trim just to get raggerly thin stuff out. If the ends are kept moist and healthy you may can go years without cuting and just do dusting if you want to. :)

Back